• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

I could see something like this unless Fehoko/Merrell shine?

Really depends how deep this roster goes this year. Who is in or who is out? RT and Pipkins/Norton seem like the biggest piece to the puzzle.

But at least, two years in we should reach a fair evaluation of pre/post Staley moves.

Gotta say, this College Football movement has me waxed how to possibly fairly evaluate prospects. I prefer static vs no static so familiarity of a player in the same system can measure his growth. Case in point from last year's draft, Jermaine Johnson, Edge FSU transfer from Georgia (National Champions), that is a red flag for me when doing my grading. I want team players who are willing to sacrifice and still put in the work to win a Championship. Sure, he is an amazing talent, JETS knocked it out of the park on potential, but we'll see how it goes.

Viewing two years of Telesco/Staley drafts, it's all about team chemistry, coaching tree and winning. Love Baylor football, don't get me wrong, can't wait to see JT Woods free Derwin to become NFL Defensive Player of the Year, which we all know he is capable of, but if there is some electric offensive weapon out there, thinking Tyreek Hill, then the top of any defense is off and Chargers can run wild however in the hell they choose.

Kinda fancy, Josh Downs, WR North Carolina

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
      I could see something like this unless Fehoko/Merrell shine?

Really depends how deep this roster goes this year. Who is in or who is out? RT and Pipkins/Norton seem like the biggest piece to the puzzle.

But at least, two years in we should reach a fair evaluation of pre/post Staley moves.

Gotta say, this College Football movement has me waxed how to possibly fairly evaluate prospects. I prefer static vs no static so familiarity of a player in the same system can measure his growth. Case in point from last year's draft, Jermaine Johnson, Edge FSU transfer from Georgia (National Champions), that is a red flag for me when doing my grading. I want team players who are willing to sacrifice and still put in the work to win a Championship. Sure, he is an amazing talent, JETS knocked it out of the park on potential, but we'll see how it goes.

Viewing two years of Telesco/Staley drafts, it's all about team chemistry, coaching tree and winning. Love Baylor football, don't get me wrong, can't wait to see JT Woods free Derwin to become NFL Defensive Player of the Year, which we all know he is capable of, but if there is some electric offensive weapon out there, thinking Tyreek Hill, then the top of any defense is off and Chargers can run wild however in the hell they choose.

Kinda fancy, Josh Downs, WR North Carolina
      What about Joe Burrow transferring? I can’t penalize a player for transferring to maximize his potential. Or his earning power.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

What about Joe Burrow transferring? I can’t penalize a player for transferring to maximize his potential. Or his earning power.
        If a prospect feels it’s in his best interest to transfer, whatever reason, that’s fine. If that player is someone of interest I’m going to flag him then research as to why. Adds variable to equation that’s all.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

DALLAS COWBOYS: LB NOAH SEWELL, OREGON

You want a freaky off-ball linebacker tandem that doubles as your pass-rush? You got it. Sewell isn’t too far off from Micah Parsons from a size/explosiveness perspective. The 6-foot-3, 251-pounder makes up ground on running backs with an ease that’s incredible to watch.

He earned an 88.6 pass-rushing grade a season ago, with 34 pressures on 98 blitzes. That would be two scary off-ball backers for the Cowboys.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-one-2023-nfl-draft-prospect-each-nfl-team-should-be-watching

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: TE ARIK GILBERT, GEORGIA

Travis Kelce isn’t a spring chicken — he turns 33 this fall, and his cap numbers start escalating rapidly thereafter. Even if he does have more years in him, getting a talent like Gilbert in the fold to learn from Kelce is a long-term win. Gilbert was the highest-rated TE recruit ever, as he moves just like a wide receiver despite being 250 pounds. He’s had his fair share of off-field issues, though, that included missing all of last season for personal reasons.

NEW YORK JETS: DI SIAKI IKA, BAYLOR

Robert Saleh will continue to invest in his defensive lines no matter where he’s plying his trade. Ika brings something to the table that the Jets don’t quite have currently after Folorunso Fatukasi walked in free agency, and that’s an immovable block in the middle of the defense. He’s more than just that, however, as the 6-foot-4, 350-pounder earned an 85.7 pass-rushing grade last season, as well.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: RB BIJAN ROBINSON, TEXAS

No team created more expected yards for their running backs last year than the Eagles. With Miles Sanders an impending free agent after this season, the Eagles may decide to take advantage of a loaded 2023 running back class. Robinson could add a level of dynamism that takes their running game to another level after breaking 79 tackles in only 10 games last season.
          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Here is another weapon for Herbert -

Boston College: Zay Flowers, WR

Flowers (who reportedly turned down buckets of cash to stay with Jeff Hafley and BC this year) is a smallish slot/Z receiver with the type of attacking speed that can embarrass corners in any type of man coverage, be it press, off, whatever. If you can’t get your hands on him at the line of scrimmage as a defender, it might be over. From a dead stop, Flowers has the type of speed to beat just about anybody. He got behind Clemson’s defense on three different vertical routes last season, but none of the three targets were catchable balls. If two of those land, he’s a household name.

In time, especially with added strength, he should be one anyway. Flowers is a wide receiver whom defensive backs already respect, and he will wind up with easy yards as a result. But he must continue working on his overall route technique and be sure not to round off breaks at the top of his routes. His body control early in his route is too good to lose technique at his break point.

Was very tempted last draft to get that breakaway speed threat 1st but there was such a push across the league for teams to move up if needed, to take all the talent off the board before #17 so made Zion pick easy to swallow and prudent asset for future. Maybe being from BC Zion could add his input on former teammate, Zay. ZZ Top.

Also as questioned earlier, about using transfer portal to improve your draft stock and put your best interests first. Well here is a cat who is loyal to his teammates and coach, that’s easy check the box for me!
            Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 07-06-2022, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

Here is Zay highlights from 2021 season. NFL traits, speed vision and great hands. Also couldn’t help but drill down and watch Zion fill LG duties.

Would be unwise to move him to RG because his natural NFL position is LG. Would move Feiler to right side instead. He lacks the mobility but makes up for it with strength and size, hallmarks of a RG. Pipkins, by all reports is ready to takeover RT reigns. This would be the Chargers best OL combination. You add a quick slot like Zay, adding to Herbert’s option, the ball is coming out quick, unless the offensive line is dominating and giving Herbert time to go deep.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

these are the positions that I think we will be looking to replace/reinforce next offseason, and.... in the case of HH/Linval, don't think we've yet to replace them sufficiently.

QB (Chase Daniel)
                RB (Joshua Kelley)
                TE (HH)
                RG (Feiler)
                RT (Pips)

NT (Linval Joseph)
                DT/PR (Covington/Tillery)
                ED (Jamal Davis)
                ILB (Tranquill)
                SS (Alohi Gilman)
                FS (Adderley)
                CB (Callahan)

P (JK Scott)

a proven vet RB is something this roster is lacking outside of Ekeler obviously, and know we got Fox, but think a proven vet IDL, that can put pressure on the QB, is gonna be another priority

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                  these are the positions that I think we will be looking to replace/reinforce next offseason, and.... in the case of HH/Linval, don't think we've yet to replace them sufficiently.

QB (Chase Daniel) -

Chase will stay, officially as Passing game coordinator/quarterbacks while Shane Day replaced Lombardi.

RB (Joshua Kelley)

Spiller is his replacement

TE (HH)

Everett is his replacement (Telesco blew it w/HH then thinking Cook would work just because of Lombardi). McKitty his successor.

RG (Feiler)

Both Zion and Salyer are interchangeable Guards, one will replace Feiler in the very near future.

RT (Pips)

Big year for Pips, by all accounts this will be his breakout season forcing a hard decision whether to keep and pay him or move on.

NT (Linval Joseph)
                  DT/PR (Covington/Tillery)

Plenty of quality depth and linemen now to replace these three but probably another 3-4 DE early specifically to replace Tillery (Fehoko/Gaziano).

ED (Jamal Davis) - Rumph/Noy
                  ILB (Tranquill) - Ogbong/Fox/Reeder/Niemann
                  SS (Alohi Gilman) - Webb
                  FS (Adderley) - J.T. Woods
                  CB (Callahan) - Leonard

P (JK Scott)
                  Make or break year for Pipkins, Tillery, Murray, Kelly, Stick and Davis, all positions of need if they don’t, come next offseason 2023.
                  Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 08-10-2022, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

2023 NFL Draft scouting: Top prospects to watch at every position this season

By Dane BruglerAug 19, 2022

The NFL Draft process is exactly that: a process. And these summer rankings — which include more than 300 prospects, across 11 different positions — serve as the starting point. Obviously, there will be fluctuation throughout the college football season with updated tape and new information. Under-the-radar prospects will emerge and established players will struggle, but this first look is important because it sets expectations.
                    Links to the preseason positional rankings (and a preview of the top five at each position):
                    Top five quarterbacks

1. C.J. Stroud Ohio State 6-3, 220
                    2. Bryce Young Alabama 5-11, 197
                    3. Will Levis Kentucky 6-4, 230
                    4. Tanner McKee Stanford 6-6, 220
                    5. Anthony Richardson Florida 6-4, 240

Just about anything would be an upgrade over last year’s group, but the 2023 crop of quarterbacks should be closer to the one in 2021 — when five QBs landed in the top 15 — in terms of collection of talent and high-level potential. More on the QBs.

Top five running backs
                    1. Bijan Robinson Texas 6-0, 220
                    2. Zach Evans Ole Miss 6-0, 215
                    3. Devon Achane Texas A&M 5-9, 185
                    4. Jahmyr Gibbs Alabama 5-11, 200
                    5. Sean Tucker Syracuse 5-10, 210

For the first time since 2014, the running back position was shut out of the first round of the NFL Draft this April, but I wouldn’t expect that trend to continue in 2023. And Texas’ Bijan Robinson is the main reason why. More on the RBs.

Top five wide receivers
                    1. Kayshon Boutte LSU 6-0, 205
                    2. Jaxon Smith-Njigba Ohio State 6-0, 200
                    3. Quentin Johnston TCU 6-4, 215
                    4. Jordan Addison USC 6-0, 180
                    5. Josh Downs North Carolina 5-10, 175

There have been 16 wide receivers drafted in the top 25 picks over the last three years — by far the most over a three-year stretch in NFL Draft history. I don’t think the 2023 NFL Draft will produce six receivers in the top 18 picks like this past April. But it should again be a strong group in the early rounds. More on the WRs.

Top five tight ends
                    1. Michael Mayer Notre Dame 6-5, 251
                    2. Arik Gilbert Georgia 6-5, 250
                    3. Tucker Kraft South Dakota St. 6-5, 255
                    4. Darnell Washington Georgia 6-7, 265
                    5. Sam LaPorta Iowa 6-4, 250

Last year was a down year for the tight end position in the early rounds of the NFL Draft, with just three prospects drafted in the top 100 picks and none in the top 50. But thanks to the immense potential of its draft-eligible underclassmen, the 2023 tight end class should be a better collection of talent, including several first-round possibilities. More on the TEs.

Top five offensive tackles
                    1. Peter Skoronski Northwestern 6-4, 310
                    2. Paris Johnson Jr. Ohio State 6-6, 315
                    3. Jaelyn Duncan Maryland 6-6, 288
                    4. Zion Nelson Miami (Fla.) 6-5, 311
                    5. Dawand Jones Ohio State 6-9, 370

It’s too early to say the 2023 offensive tackle draft class is below average — players will improve and under-the-radar prospects will emerge. But at this point in the process, I find it very hard to get excited about the position for next year’s class. More on the OTs.

Top five interior offensive linemen
                    1. Layden Robinson Texas A&M 6-4, 320
                    2. O'Cyrus Torrence Florida 6-5, 347
                    3. Cooper Beebe Kansas State 6-4, 322
                    4. Javion Cohen Alabama 6-4, 305
                    5. Nick Broeker Ole Miss 6-4, 317

While the 2023 NFL Draft offensive tackle group looks underwhelming, the potential of the interior linemen is more promising. I don’t think we’ll see multiple top-20 picks like this past draft with Kenyon Green and Zion Johnson, but there are numerous prospects with Day 2 talent and the potential to get into the top-40 conversation. More on the interior offensive linemen.

Top five edge rushers
                    1. Will Anderson Jr. Alabama 6-4, 245
                    2. Nolan Smith Georgia 6-3, 237
                    3. Isaiah Foskey Notre Dame 6-5, 260
                    4. Tyree Wilson Texas Tech 6-6, 270
                    5. Myles Murphy Clemson 6-5, 275

Early prediction: Defensive line (both edge rushers and defensive tackles) will be the strength of the 2023 NFL Draft. We were spoiled with four elite-level NFL pass-rush prospects over a five-year stretch, with Joey Bosa (2016), Myles Garrett (2017), Nick Bosa (2019) and Chase Young (2020) — aside from injuries, all four have lived up to the immense hype. We will have another elite-level edge defender in the 2023 class. More on the edge rushers.

Top five interior defensive linemen
                    1. Jalen Carter Georgia 6-3, 310
                    2. Bryan Bresee Clemson 6-5, 300
                    3. Siaki Ika Baylor 6-4, 354
                    4. Gervon Dexter Sr. Florida 6-6, 315
                    5. Zacch Pickens South Carolina 6-4, 305

A year ago, interior defensive line was arguably the weakest position in the 2022 NFL Draft class. Ultimately, only three defensive tackles were taken within the first 75 picks. However, thanks to a loaded group of underclassmen and several impressive seniors, defensive tackle has a chance to be one of the strongest — if not the strongest — position groups in the 2023 draft. More on the DTs.

Top five linebackers
                    1. Trenton Simpson Clemson 6-3, 230
                    2. Noah Sewell Oregon 6-3, 250
                    3. Henry To'o To'o Alabama 6-1, 230
                    4. Nick Herbig Wisconsin 6-2, 225
                    5. Jack Campbell Iowa 6-4, 248

The role of a modern-day NFL linebacker is a moving target because of the way offenses have become more and more explosive. However, there is no doubt about the importance of the position as a whole. That hasn’t changed. The 2023 class of off-ball linebacker prospects is solid, led by a pair of underclassmen with high first-round potential. More on the LBs.

Top five cornerbacks
                    1. Kelee Ringo Georgia 6-2, 210
                    2. Christian Gonzalez Oregon 6-2, 200
                    3. Clark Phillips III Utah 5-10, 185
                    4. Cam Smith South Carolina 6-0, 190
                    5. Joey Porter Jr. Penn State 6-2, 200

As I mentioned in my previews for edge rushers and defensive tackles, the defensive line is the early favorite to be the strength of the 2023 NFL Draft. But cornerback should also be high on the list. As I put together this early top five, it was tough leaving out several talented cornerbacks who I think have bright futures in the NFL. More on the CBs.

Top five safeties
                    1. Antonio Johnson Texas A&M 6-3, 195
                    2. Brian Branch Alabama 6-0, 195
                    3. JL Skinner Boise State 6-4, 210
                    4. Jordan Battle Alabama 6-1, 215
                    5. Jalen Catalon Arkansas 5-10, 199

My early read is that the 2023 draft class of safeties looks like a solid group. I’m not confident that the position will produce three first-rounders, as the 2022 class did, but I am intrigued by the versatility several safeties have to offer — specifically, the first three prospects in my preseason rankings. More on the safeties.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

2023 NFL Draft OT class: Peter Skoronski is No. 1, but will this be a down year?

Dane BruglerJul 28, 2022

Editor’s note: This is part five of Dane Brugler’s Summer Scouting series, which takes a position-by-position look at the top prospects for the 2023 NFL Draft. Previously: Part I (QBs), part II (RBs), part III (WRs) and part IV (TEs).
                      It’s too early to say the 2023 offensive tackle draft class is below average — players will improve and under-the-radar prospects will emerge. But at this point in the process, I find it very hard to get excited about the position for next year’s class.
                      Northwestern’s Peter Skoronski is No. 1 on the list, but there is a good chance he (eventually) shifts over to guard in my rankings. Ohio State’s Paris Johnson Jr. is next, and he has sky-high potential due to his traits … but has been a guard thus far for the Buckeyes and is a left-tackle projection. Three seniors round out my early top five — three talented but flawed players, who are looking to cement day-two status this season.
                      (Note: Asterisk represents draft-eligible underclassmen. Heights and weights are what NFL teams have on file for each player and may differ from school rosters)
                      1. *Peter Skoronski, Northwestern (6-foot-4, 310)

Best trait: Controlled feet
                      An athletic blocker, Skoronski is smooth in his setup, with the mirroring skills to ride outside speed or redirect his weight to cut off inside rush lanes. Thanks to his quick processor and controlled feet, he consistently wins with quality positioning, while also flashing the hand strength and punch timing to stymie pass rushers.
                      Aidan Hutchinson, the No. 2 pick in this year’s NFL Draft, lived in the Northwestern backfield on last year’s game tape. But all of his success came against the Wildcats’ right tackle — he didn’t find much success when lined up against Skoronski, who consistently won with his ability to stay controlled mid-connection.

Must improve: Anchoring vs. power
                      Skoronski owns a compact build and carries his weight well, but his lack of length leaves him at a disadvantage at times. Long-armed power rushers with a few steps of momentum can reach Skoronski’s chest and drive him backward into the pocket. Aside from continuing to get stronger in his lower body, Skoronski must continue to hone his timing to compensate for his shorter arms.
                      2022 season/2023 NFL Draft outlook
                      When Rashawn Slater opted out of the 2020 college football season, Northwestern lost its best player. But Skoronski stepped in as a true freshman left tackle and played at a high level, in the process announcing himself as one of the most promising blockers in college football. Slater was the No. 13 pick in 2021 and an All-Pro as a rookie last season for the Chargers — a tough act to follow for anyone. But in talking to several people close to the Northwestern program, they put Slater and Skoronski in the same conversation, on the field and as team leaders.
                      There is a decent chance that Skoronski eventually shifts over to guard in my positional rankings. Do I think he can play tackle in the NFL? I do. But, just like other college tackles like Zack Martin or Joel Bitonio, Skoronski’s skill set could be maximized by moving inside to guard. While Slater was clearly a tackle prospect, in my opinion, most NFL evaluators I’ve spoken to believe Skoronski’s best pro position is inside at guard.
                      Regardless, it is unanimous that he will be an early NFL starter.
                      2. *Paris Johnson Jr., Ohio State (6-6, 315)

Best trait: Big-man fluidity
                      It is easy to see why Johnson was one of the highest-ranked offensive line recruits in Ohio State history. He has outstanding size and length, with the gifted athleticism of a much smaller player. From his feet to his hips, Johnson has a fluid lower body to spring out of his stance and cleanly redirect, both in pass protection and the run game.
                      While his technique continues to be a work in progress, Johnson’s natural fluidity and power are outstanding foundational traits. On this play against Penn State, Johnson (at right guard) cuts off the rush angle of a stunting Jesse Luketa (No. 40), then finishes him to the ground:

Must improve: Body of work at tackle
                      Johnson played left tackle in high school and was recruited for the blindside at Ohio State. But through two seasons, he has yet to line up at left tackle — he started every game at right guard last season as a sophomore. Johnson is expected to move outside to his more natural position for the 2022 season, and NFL scouts will be watching closely.
                      Considered the top offensive line recruit in the 2020 class, Johnson was a top-10 recruit nationally and ranked higher than Jaxon Smith-Njigba and C.J. Stroud in Ohio State’s recruiting class. A natural tackle, Johnson moved inside to guard when he arrived in Columbus and played sparingly as a freshman while he developed his body. He earned the starting right guard job last season as a sophomore as the Buckeyes looked to get the best five linemen on the field.
                      At right guard, Johnson earned second-team All-Big Ten honors from the league coaches. With former Ohio State teammate Nicholas Pettit-Frere now in the NFL, though, Johnson will fill those shoes at left tackle and the rising junior will get his chance to shine. The Cincinnati native is currently a projection at left tackle, with questions about his timing and technique out in space. But with his size, strength and fluid movement skills, Johnson could translate a breakout 2022 season into an early-round draft pick.
                      3. Jaelyn Duncan, Maryland (6-6, 288)

Best trait: Balanced movements
                      Duncan plays with outstanding lateral quickness off the ball and into his pass sets, thereby allowing him to stay balanced as he sets up shop. He understands depth and timing to hit his landmarks, and he moves with the flow and recovery athleticism to mirror rush speed. Duncan also shows balanced movements in the run game, executing pulls and pancaking defenders in space.
                      With his foot quickness and core balance, Duncan has the required athleticism for the next level. On last year’s tape, he matched up well against Minnesota’s Boye Mafe, who was drafted in the second round due to his explosiveness off the edge. Duncan handled him in pass pro and did not allow a single pressure.

Must improve: Punch timing
                      While he plays with contact balance, Duncan has only average arm length (NFL-verified 33 1/4 inches) and will struggle to recover vs. defenders who get inside his chest. When he doesn’t stay on time with his punch, he invites long-armed rushers to bully him in reverse (see his battles vs. former Penn State pass rusher — and Falcons second-round pick — Arnold Ebiketie last season).
                      A native of Maryland, Duncan was a four-star recruit and bypassed several SEC (Florida, LSU, Tennessee) and Big Ten (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State) offers to play for his home state Terrapins. He was inserted as the starting left tackle as a redshirt freshman and has started 27 games there over the last three seasons, twice earning honorable mention All-Big Ten.
                      Some NFL scouts believe he will make a better interior lineman, but Duncan has the tools to stay at left tackle at the next level. If he continues to build upon what he put on his 2021 tape, Duncan will cement himself as a top-100 draft pick.
                      4. Zion Nelson, Miami (Fla.) (6-5, 311)

Best trait(s): Light feet and long arms
                      Although still a work in progress in multiple areas, Nelson has several of the key measurables that NFL teams covet at left tackle. He moves well off the snap, with the slide range to protect the corner and answer speed with his own body quickness. It also helps that Nelson has the arm length (verified 35 inches) to cover up a misstep.

Must improve: Shaky balance/anchor
                      While he has done an admirable job adding weight and getting stronger, Nelson isn’t a power player. He can be put on skates by bull rushers, due to his soft shoulders and faulty anchor — especially when his hands aren’t on time. And, because of that shaky balance, his recovery options aren’t as developed as other blockers’ are.
                      When he arrived in Coral Gables in the spring of 2019, Nelson weighed in at just 250 pounds and was in need of a patient coaching staff — Miami was the only power-five program to offer him a scholarship. Mark Richt, however, saw something in the raw athlete and Nelson became the Hurricanes starting left tackle as a true freshman.
                      Right now, Nelson is still more of a project than a finished product. But he has the length, athletic tools and coachable upside that intrigue NFL teams and could land him on day two of the draft. As Nelson enters his fourth season as a starter, scouts are hopeful that he will make meaningful progress under the tutelage of new head coach Mario Cristobal, who played offensive tackle for the Hurricanes in the early ’90s.
                      5. Dawand Jones, Ohio State (6-9, 370)

Best trait: Imposing size
                      With his size, Jones makes even the most intimidating defensive linemen appear small. The right tackle’s NFL-verified numbers speak for themselves: 6-8 1/2-inches (rounded up to 6-9 above), 370 pounds, 36 1/8-inch arms, 11 5/8-inch hands and 89 1/8-inch wingspan. That’s a whole lot of man. Jones flexes his muscles in the run game, where he can bury defenders into the ground or latch on and drive them off the screen.
                      Because of his struggles to bend, it won’t always look pretty with Jones — especially in pass protection. But, due to his gargantuan frame and length, the right tackle can swallow rushers and get the job done.

Must improve: Pass-pro recovery/technique
                      Predictably for a blocker his size, Jones is a high-cut waist-bender who tends to fall apart when he can’t rely on overpowering the man across from him. His technical approach in pass protection looks different from snap to snap, and he often finds himself overextended and leaning, which leaves him off balance.
                      Jones also needs to develop from an instinctive standpoint to play out in front, instead of trying to react to rushers.
                      While Johnson was the top-ranked recruit in Ohio State’s 2020 class, Jones was the lowest-ranked recruit in the Buckeyes’ 2019 haul. Growing up, Jones — an Indianapolis native — was a basketball-first athlete with NBA aspirations; he averaged 17.0 points and 9.0 rebounds per game as a high school senior and received basketball scholarships from MAC programs like Ball State and Kent State.
                      However, Jones returned to football midway through his high school career and realized offensive line was his path to professional sports. After spot duty as a freshman and sophomore at Ohio State, Jones earned the starting right tackle job as a junior and started 12 games in 2021.
                      Jones flirted with leaving Columbus for the NFL after last season, but he wanted to improve upon his “fourth- or fifth-round” draft grades from scouts. Buckeyes head coach Ryan Day said Jones returned to be a “first- or second-rounder,” and the Ohio State coaches laid out a plan for the right tackle to reach that level this season.
                      Ultimately, I think the more realistic projection for Jones is in the middle of those two ranges — somewhere in the third round.
                      Preseason top 20 senior offensive tackles

1. Duncan
                      2. Nelson
                      3. Jones
                      4. *Blake Freeland, BYU (6-8, 307)
                      5. Ryan Hayes, Michigan (6-7, 301)
                      6. Carter Warren, Pittsburgh (6-6, 321)
                      7. *Matthew Bergeron, Syracuse (6-5, 324)
                      8. Cody Mauch, North Dakota State (6-5, 306)
                      9. Javon Foster, Missouri (6-5, 307)
                      10. Walter Rouse, Stanford (6-6, 324)
                      11. *Braeden Daniels, Utah (6-4, 291)
                      12. Darnell Wright, Tennessee (6-5, 347)
                      13. *Jordan Morgan, Arizona (6-5, 320)
                      14. Connor Galvin, Baylor (6-6, 314)
                      15. Luke Haggard, Indiana (6-5, 290)
                      16. Mark Evans II, Arkansas Pine Bluff (6-3, 297)
                      17. Spencer Rolland, North Carolina (6-6, 298)
                      18. Tylan Grable, UCF (6-7, 290)
                      19. Dalton Wagner, Arkansas (6-9, 331)
                      20. Kadeem Telfort, UAB (6-8, 333)
                      (Note: An asterisk on this list denotes a player who has multiple years of eligibility remaining, via redshirt and/or the NCAA’s COVID-19-year exemption, but will be scouted as a senior by the NFL.)
                      Preseason top 10 draft-eligible underclassman offensive tackles

1. Skoronski
                      2. Johnson Jr.
                      3. Anton Harrison, Oklahoma (6-6, 310)
                      4. Broderick Jones, Georgia (6-4, 315)
                      5. Robert Scott Jr., Florida State (6-5, 315)
                      6. Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Penn State (6-6, 320)
                      7. Warren McClendon, Georgia (6-4, 300)
                      8. Patrick Paul, Houston (6-7, 315)
                      9. Mason Richman, Iowa (6-6, 308)
                      10. Walker Parks, Clemson (6-5, 300)

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

2023 NFL Draft Edge class: Is Will Anderson a generational prospect?

Dane BruglerAug 4, 2022

Editor’s note: This is part seven of Dane Brugler’s Summer Scouting series, which takes a position-by-position look at the top prospects for the 2023 NFL Draft. Previously: Part V (OTs) and Part VI (Interior OL).
                        Early prediction: Defensive line (both edge rushers and defensive tackles) will be the strength of the 2023 NFL Draft.
                        We were spoiled with four elite-level NFL pass-rush prospects over a five-year stretch, with Joey Bosa (2016), Myles Garrett (2017), Nick Bosa (2019) and Chase Young (2020) — aside from injuries, all four have lived up to the immense hype.
                        There were several talented pass rushers in the last two drafts, but none on the same level as that group. However, we will have another elite-level edge defender in the 2023 class in Alabama’s Will Anderson. Between now and next April, NFL evaluators will grapple with the question: Where does Anderson rank compared to Garrett, Young and the Bosa brothers? And it won’t be a surprise if some arrive at the conclusion that he belongs at the top.
                        (Note: Asterisk represents draft-eligible underclassmen. Heights and weights are what NFL teams have on file for each player and may differ from school rosters)
                        1. *Will Anderson Jr., Alabama (6-foot-4, 245 lbs.)

Best Trait: Rare package of skills
                        Anderson is a special prospect because he combines explosive athleticism and raw strength with technical know-how and outstanding play recognition. That rare package of skills allows him to be equally dominant as both a pass rusher and run defender.
                        Anderson lived in the backfield on the Ole Miss tape from last season. Lined up at left end on this play, he is shot out of a cannon at the snap and shows remarkable acceleration with his first two steps. Using his bendy, flexible frame to play from a low position, Anderson does a masterful job clearing the hands of the right guard to create a clear runway to the quarterback.

Anderson is also an elite-level run defender. This play against Cincinnati in last year’s College Football Playoff is a great example of his proficient technique and freaky physical traits.

Anderson reads the down blocks and inches forward to stay gap sound while also deciphering the backfield action. Using a “wrong arm” combo technique, he rips his outside shoulder to the inside of the pulling blocker and establishes leverage through contact. When that move is properly executed, the edge rusher can dispose of two blockers (the puller and kickout), allowing second-level help to tackle the ball carrier.
                        But Anderson not only spills the run and disposes of both blockers (like he is coached to do), he’s able to fight through the contact and make a remarkable stop.
                        Must Improve: Finishing tackles
                        This isn’t an indictment of Anderson’s finishing effort, because his motor is outstanding. But because he often plays in hyperdrive, he has the bad habit of leaving his feet too early, which results in more missed tackles than necessary. Anderson finished last season with 102 tackles, so this is more nitpicking than a true concern.
                        2022 Season/2023 NFL Draft Outlook
                        Georgia landed the No. 1 recruiting class in the 2020 cycle, despite allowing 18 of the top-20 players in the state to sign elsewhere. One of those recruits that got away was Anderson, a five-star edge rusher who helped the Crimson Tide to the No. 2-ranked recruiting class that same year. The Hampton, Ga., native was an immediate starter for Nick Saban’s defense and earned Freshman All-America honors with 7.0 sacks. As a sophomore last year, Anderson had one of the best seasons by a defensive end in college football history, which should have won him the Heisman — on top of those 102 tackles, he led the nation in both tackles for loss (34.5) and sacks (17.5).
                        On paper, Anderson is a remarkable prospect. His tape is even more extraordinary. With his lower-body twitch and explosive upper half, he has the physical makeup that NFL teams covet. But what really sets him apart as a prospect are his intelligence, competitive fire and astute understanding of how to apply coaching.
                        With his high level of play rushing the passer and stopping the run, Anderson is one of the best prospects I’ve ever studied and compares very favorably to Von Miller.
                        2. Nolan Smith, Georgia (6-3, 237)

Best Trait: Twitchy athleticism
                        With his ability to rush the passer and make stops versus the run, Smith was one of the key cogs of Georgia’s national title-winning defense last season. He is a smart, assignment-sound player, but his loose athleticism is what stands out the most on his film. Smith has the first-step quickness to cross the face of blockers and slip through gaps at the line of scrimmage. The natural twitch in his joints and hips helps him smoothly change directions, avoid blockers and allow for sharp pursuit angles when closing on the football.
                        Against Michigan in the College Football Playoff, Smith had one of his best performances of the season, both rushing the passer and stopping the run. This play for no gain shows off his recognition skills and open-field range.

Must Improve: Play strength
                        While he sports a defined physique, Smith has leaner qualities and needs to continue developing his play strength to better match up with blockers at the NFL level. I was impressed with his toughness to swat the hands of blockers and his contact balance to easily leverage his body. But there are times when he gets hung up on the edge, which will be an issue for NFL teams looking for a hand-on-the-ground lineman.
                        When Smith beat Evan Neal and sacked Bryce Young in the final seconds to secure the national championship for the Bulldogs, most fans believed that would be his final play in a Georgia uniform. What better way for the former five-star recruit (and No. 1 recruit nationally) to finish a college career and ride off into the NFL sunset? Georgia set a record with five defensive players selected in the first round of 2022 NFL Draft, and it might have been six had Smith declared. Instead, the rising senior elected to return to Athens for one final season, in the hope of elevating his draft stock even higher.
                        On a loaded Georgia defense last season, Smith finished fifth in tackles (56), second in tackles for loss (9.0) and first in forced fumbles (three). He plays with explosive athleticism, functional length and the instincts to always be around the football. In addition to his on-field impact, several Georgia players I spoke with identified Smith as the proverbial heart and soul of the locker room.
                        His exact positional fit might look different from scheme to scheme, which will lead to varying draft grades. But as an edge defender who can stand up in space, Smith displays the explosive qualities and intangibles to be an NFL difference-maker.
                        3. *Isaiah Foskey, Notre Dame (6-5, 260)

Best Trait: Long-arm rush
                        An impressive athlete for his size, Foskey can line up across the front seven and win in a multitude of ways. As a pass rusher, he threatens the corner and forces blockers to respect his edge speed, which unlocks his go-to power moves — specifically, his long-arm techniques. Foskey has a crafty understanding of how to use his length to soften the edge and leverage the point of attack with one arm.
                        If you isolate Foskey’s 10 best pass-rush clips from last season, more than half would be an example of his long-arm techniques. On this play against USC, Foskey stabs the left tackle with his inside hand, dips his hips and relies on basic physics to drive the blocker into the pocket. His long-arm execution creates a pass-rush lane and allows Foskey to use his outside arm to force the strip sack.

Must Improve: Consistent counters
                        Foskey has outstanding physical tools and is very active with his hands, which helps him take on and dispose blocks. But he is still developing his feel for countermeasures and an overall plan once his preferred move is taken away mid-rush. Foskey would have been in the top-50 mix last April, had he left school. Instead, he opted to return for a fourth season in South Bend to become a more consistent threat.
                        A former four-star recruit from the Bay Area, Foskey put his name on the NFL map when he flashed as a redshirt freshman, and he cemented himself as a legitimate prospect last year with 12.5 tackles for loss, 11.0 sacks and six forced fumbles — all team bests. Then defensive coordinator and current head coach Marcus Freeman found creative ways to deploy Foskey’s talent, standing him up and using a variety of stunts and loops to get him free.
                        Notre Dame has a rich history of sending defensive linemen to the NFL, but the program hasn’t had an edge rusher taken in the first round since Renaldo Wynn in 1997 — over a quarter-century ago. Foskey has the talent to break that streak. With improvements in key areas, he could get himself in the conversation for the top half of Round 1.
                        4. Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech (6-6, 270)

Best Trait: Shock in his hands
                        At 6-6 and 270 pounds with almost 36-inch arms, Wilson is physically imposing and has the quick, physical hands to beat down the door and go through blockers. He can convert speed to power from different angles on the defensive line, and he trusts the shock in his hands to overwhelm at contact.
                        Lined up against the Kansas State right tackle in this clip, Wilson extends his powerful hands into contact and runs his feet to bully the blocker into the pocket. He separates late and gets his long arms free to disrupt the quarterback’s balance for the sack.

Must Improve: Rush diversity mid-sequence
                        On tape, Wilson shows different rip, wipe or swipe moves, but his rush style is predicated on bully tactics — he often relies too much on his size and length to defeat blocks. It also doesn’t help that his rush can be too easily stalled and his balance disrupted, due to his high center of gravity. Going into his redshirt senior season, NFL scouts want to see an improved rush plan with better diversity mid-rush to keep blockers guessing.
                        A former three-star recruit, Wilson started his college career at Texas A&M where he redshirted in 2018 and played sparingly in 2019. He entered the transfer portal and traveled 450 miles northwest to Lubbock, enrolling at Texas Tech and earning a waiver to play in 2020. Wilson had his breakout season last year as a junior with a team-best 13.5 tackles for loss and 7.0 sacks.
                        In new defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter’s hybrid 3-4 scheme, Wilson is listed as an outside linebacker on the Tech roster. He’s expected to split his time between standing up and playing with his hand on the ground. Regardless, his main goal each snap will be to affect the quarterback. Does he lack refinement? Yes, but his length and raw power are terrific foundational traits.
                        I won’t do my initial first-round mock draft for a few months, but if I did one today, he would be on it.
                        5. *Myles Murphy, Clemson (6-5, 275)

Best Trait: Pummeling power
                        A true power player, Murphy collapses the edge as a pass rusher and plays stout against the run. He is a smooth, coordinated athlete with impressive speed for 275 pounds, but his production comes from his anvil hands, long arms and eagerness to pummel blockers.
                        Against Boston College last season, Murphy showed off a variety of bull-rush moves. Lined up at his regular right defensive end position on this play, he attacks with power and uses push-pull action to get the left tackle off balance, allowing Murphy to turn the corner and finish at the quarterback with one arm.

Must Improve: Pass-rush efficiency
                        Murphy can batter and bully his way through blockers, but that won’t work consistently in the NFL without developed timing, control and setup in his pass rush. He isn’t a natural hip-flipper, and he lacks elite get-off, so it is imperative for him to be efficient in his move-to-move transition so he can stay on schedule.
                        Clemson had arguably the best recruiting haul in the 2020 cycle, largely because they nabbed the two highest-ranked defensive linemen in the class: Bryan Bresee and Murphy. A five-star from the Atlanta suburbs, Murphy looked like he belonged as an 18-year-old freshman starter, then more than doubled his pass-rush pressures last season as a sophomore.
                        Murphy is an interesting prospect because he has an NFL body with the play strength to be a true force player, but he isn’t a freak athlete like Travon Walker and lacks the polish of Aidan Hutchinson. However, it is easy to appreciate what Murphy brings each snap as he creates movement with his powerful attack or handles double-teams on the edge. With improved efficiency as a junior, Murphy will move up this list.
                        Preseason top-20 senior edge rushers:
                        1. Smith
                        2. Wilson
                        3. Will McDonald IV, Iowa State (6-4, 226)
                        4. Andre Carter II, Army (6-6, 255)
                        5. Zach Harrison, Ohio State (6-6, 266)*
                        6. Derick Hall, Auburn (6-3, 255)
                        7. Nick Hampton, Appalachian State (6-2, 224)*
                        8. Ali Gaye, LSU (6-6, 255)
                        9. Habakkuk Baldonado, Pittsburgh (6-4, 258)
                        10. Ochaun Mathis, Nebraska (6-5, 257)*
                        11. Keion White, Georgia Tech (6-4, 283)
                        12. Byron Young, Tennessee (6-2, 249)
                        13. Robert Beal Jr., Georgia (6-4, 255)
                        14. Brenton Cox Jr., Florida (6-3, 252)*
                        15. Julius Welschof, Michigan (6-6, 285)
                        16. Xavier Thomas, Clemson (6-2, 279)
                        17. Eyabi Anoma, Tennessee-Martin (6-5, 242)*
                        18. Tyrus Wheat, Mississippi State (6-2, 269)
                        19. Ikenna Enechukwu, Rice (6-4, 267)*
                        20. Zion Tupuola-Fetui, Washington (6-3, 246)*
                        (Note: An asterisk on this list denotes a player who has multiple years of eligibility remaining, via redshirt and/or the NCAA’s COVID-19-year exemption, but will be scouted as a senior by the NFL.)
                        Preseason top-10 draft-eligible underclassmen edge rushers:
                        1. Anderson Jr.
                        2. Foskey
                        3. Murphy
                        4. Colby Wooden, Auburn (6-5, 285)
                        5. BJ Ojulari, LSU (6-3, 245)
                        6. Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas State (6-4, 255)
                        7. J.J. Weaver, Kentucky (6-5, 245)
                        8. Tyler Baron, Tennessee (6-5, 260)
                        9. Jared Verse, Florida State (6-4, 250)
                        10. Reggie Grimes, Oklahoma (6-4, 275)

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

2023 NFL Draft interior DL class: Jalen Carter could be the first defender taken

By Dane BruglerAug 9, 2022

Editor’s note: This is part eight of Dane Brugler’s Summer Scouting series, which takes a position-by-position look at the top prospects for the 2023 NFL Draft. Previously: Part VI (Interior OL) and Part VII (Edge).
                          A year ago, interior defensive line was arguably the weakest position in the 2022 NFL Draft class. Ultimately, only three defensive tackles were taken within the first 75 picks.
                          However, thanks to a loaded group of underclassmen and several impressive seniors, defensive tackle has a chance to be one of the strongest — if not the strongest — position groups in the 2023 draft.
                          (Note: An asterisk represents draft-eligible underclassmen. Heights and weights are what NFL teams have on file for each player and might differ from school rosters.)
                          1. *Jalen Carter, Georgia (6-foot-3, 310 pounds)

Best trait: Twitchy body control
                          A dynamic lineman, Carter is naturally explosive enough to win laterally or upfield, wrapping blockers and closing on the football. His movement skills and suddenness are rare for a 310-pounder, and his body twitch allows him to unleash various swipe or arm-over moves. Carter also shows the shock in his hands to efficiently counter, or defeat, single blockers.
                          With his initial burst, Carter routinely shoots gaps and disrupts the rhythm of the backfield. On the following play versus Kentucky, Carter, lined up over the B-gap, shows his impressive initial quickness to launch out of his stance, clear the face of the right guard and blow through the opponent’s shoulder. Carter then shows off his big-man twitch and body control by sticking his foot on the ground and making a play on the running back:

Must improve: Ability to produce with a target on his back
                          With Travon Walker, Jordan Davis and Devonte Wyatt now in the NFL, Carter will receive a lot of attention from offenses this season. He averaged only 26.4 defensive snaps per game last season as part of a deep rotation, but his usage will increase as a full-time starter in 2022, and NFL evaluators are eager to see how he handles the extra workload.
                          Georgia had an NFL-record five defenders drafted in the first round last year, including those aforementioned defensive linemen: Walker, the No. 1 pick; and Wyatt and Davis, the first two defensive tackles off the board. However, most who studied last year’s Bulldogs championship-level defense asked themselves the same question: Was No. 88 the best defensive prospect on the team?
                          A former five-star recruit from just outside Orlando, Fla., Carter flashed dominance over his first two seasons in Athens despite mostly coming off the bench. He finished third on the team last season in tackles for loss, and he also led Georgia with a pair of blocked kicks. Not only will Carter be the first interior defensive lineman drafted in the 2023 class, but he is also in the discussion with Alabama’s Will Anderson Jr. to be the first non-quarterback off the board.
                          Anderson is the best player I have scouted in this draft cycle, but several scouts I spoke with this summer believe Carter has a legitimate chance to be the higher draft pick based on positional preference.
                          2. *Bryan Bresee, Clemson (6-5, 300)

Best trait: Explosive force
                          Bresee passes the eye test with his thickly built frame and power in his upper half, but he has the explosive movements of a much smaller player. Always competing with the dial cranked up, Bresee overwhelms blockers with the momentum he creates via his initial acceleration and pure strength.
                          Projecting best as a three-technique or base end at the next level, Bresee also can create disruption as a zero-technique over the center. He uses those explosive movements to force his way through contact — it’s just a matter of time before he breaks down the door.

Must improve: Consistent block destruction
                          Bresee owns the natural power and athletic twitch to escape blockers. However, evaluators want to see more nuance and proficiency with his hand usage. Bresee is still learning how to be a technician at the point of attack so he can efficiently counter and shed when he doesn’t win with his initial burst. It will also be important for Bresee to stay durable this season as he works his way back from last year’s knee injury.
                          A big-time basketball and football player out of Maryland, Bresee was a man among boys on his high school tape — it earned him five stars and the No. 1 ranking in the 2020 recruiting class. He committed to Clemson and looked like he belonged from Day 1, living up to the immense hype as a true freshman starter. However, Bresee missed most of last season with an ACL tear, so he has something to prove this fall.
                          To fully unlock his gifted skill set, Bresee needs to continue developing his hand usage and efficiency. But his big-man explosiveness and brute strength were as advertised on tape. With a fully healthy 2022 season and another step in his development, Bresee has all the talent to warrant a draft pick in the top half of Round 1.
                          3. *Siaki Ika, Baylor (6-4, 354)

Best trait: Blend of nimble feet and power
                          For a 350-plus-pounder, Ika has rare short-area quickness and disruptive traits. He stays nimble on his feet, with the length, hand strength and body flexibility to press blockers from his frame and redirect his momentum. Ika’s power and anchor were expected, but the explosiveness and fluidity for a player that size were a pleasant surprise.
                          Last season’s bowl game versus Ole Miss was a highlight tape for Ika. Lined up as the nose tackle in the following clip, he sets up the center with a stab to get him leaning, before finishing with an arm-over. He explodes into the backfield with almost no wasted movement, and the quickness and efficiency of the move don’t allow the blocker to reset his hands. The left guard is able to help and knock Ika from his feet, but the penetration is still enough to flush the quarterback and blow up the play:

Must improve: Inconsistent pad level
                          Ika competes with impressive urgency and bend, but his inconsistent pad level will work against him. He can get caved by angle blocks when he doesn’t properly sink and secure his outside leg, or he’ll find his upper half overextended, inviting blockers to bury him.
                          Derek Stingley Jr. was the headliner of LSU’s 2019 recruiting class. There was a ton of excitement in the LSU building, though, when Ika chose the Tigers over Florida, USC and a few other programs that year. The Polynesian lineman from Salt Lake City saw the field as a true freshman for LSU’s national championship team in 2019 and played in four games in 2020 before entering the transfer portal. Ika decided to reunite with coach Dave Aranda at Baylor and was named Big 12 newcomer of the year last season.
                          Ika, who also goes by the nickname “Apu,” split his time evenly between the one- and three-technique positions for Baylor last season and had an outstanding first year as a starter. He isn’t quite on the Vita Vea level as a prospect, but he is in the same mold, a rare mix of power, fluidity and short-area quickness for a 350-pounder. Ika is a Day 2 prospect with first-round upside.
                          4. *Gervon Dexter Sr., Florida (6-6, 315)

Best trait(s): Length and strength
                          Most 6-foot-6 defensive linemen struggle with pad level, but Dexter owns the natural flexibility and length to out-leverage blockers. As a pass rusher, he uses his forward lean to uproot, drive his feet and create movement. And as a run defender, Dexter has the long arms to maintain separation and the body control to unwind from blockers.
                          On this play against Alabama, Dexter shows off his stack-and-shed skills. Lined up over the A-gap, he strikes upward at the point of attack and bench-presses right guard Emil Ekiyor, freeing himself to make the stop in the hole:

Must improve: Snap-to-snap consistency
                          The clip above is Dexter at his best and shows his impressive traits. However, he tends to disappear for stretches and doesn’t consistently use his talent to be disruptive. The box score doesn’t always back up the tape, but Dexter’s meager production last season (four tackles for loss, 2 1/2 sacks) is a reflection of his inexperience and inconsistency.
                          A basketball-focused athlete most of his life, Dexter returned to the football field midway through his high school career and emerged as the top recruit in the state of Florida. The five-star lineman signed with the Gators and quickly found himself part of the defensive line rotation.
                          Dexter grew up a ton this offseason with the birth of his son, Gervon Jr., in May, and he is expecting that growth to continue on the field this fall. With a new coaching staff in Gainesville, he is expected to see snaps inside and outside as an end in defensive coordinator Patrick Toney’s scheme.
                          Watching his sophomore film at Florida brought back flashbacks of Chris Jones at Mississippi State — a tall, physical athlete with a ton of potential. Though he shows only flashes right now, Dexter could emerge as a first-round prospect.
                          5. Zacch Pickens, South Carolina (6-4, 305)

Best trait: Red-hot motor
                          With his size, length (34-inch arms) and quickness, Pickens’ physical traits check a lot of boxes. His athleticism allows him to play up and down the Gamecocks’ defensive line, and he rushes with the aggressiveness to tear through blocks. But I was most impressed with Pickens’ effort to consistently finish plays, regardless of whether the ball was in the backfield, near the sideline or downfield.
                          Pickens benefited from a pathetic chip by the Vanderbilt running back here, but this play illustrates his physical traits and motor when in pursuit:

Must improve: Raw rush/run technique
                          Pickens is a balanced big man with the tools to be disruptive, but his technical understanding of the position isn’t on the same level as his natural gifts. He needs to show better setup and execution as a pass rusher to keep blockers guessing with his rush moves. As a run defender, he can hold the point of attack but will be late to shed blocks and make stops.
                          The top 10 high school recruits nationally in the 2019 class included several defenders who went on to be first-round picks, like Kayvon Thibodeaux and Stingley. As the No. 8 recruit that year (and the No. 1 defensive tackle and No. 1 recruit in South Carolina), Pickens hasn’t yet realized that potential. But the flashes explain why he was highly coveted as a recruit. Last season was his first as a full-time starter, and Pickens finished with 38 tackles and four sacks.
                          Over the past decade, South Carolina has produced five first-round picks on the defensive side of the football. Pickens has the natural traits and effort to join that group, but he must show a more technically sound approach as a senior to make the jump from a Day 2 to a Day 1 prospect.
                          Preseason top 20 senior defensive tackles

1. Pickens
                          2. Tyler Davis, Clemson (6-2, 291)
                          3. Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin (6-4, 312)
                          4. Brandon Dorlus, Oregon (6-3, 289)*
                          5. Byron Young, Alabama (6-3, 299)
                          6. Keondre Coburn, Texas (6-2, 339)
                          7. Jalen Redmond, Oklahoma (6-3, 289)*
                          8. Darius Robinson, Missouri (6-5, 293)
                          9. Jermayne Lole, Louisville (6-2, 310)
                          10. DJ Dale, Alabama (6-0, 300)
                          11. PJ Mustipher, Penn State (6-4, 324)
                          12. Cameron Young, Mississippi State (6-4, 316)
                          13. Jerron Cage, Ohio State (6-2, 306)
                          14. Jaden Crumedy, Mississippi State (6-4, 313)
                          15. Jacob Slade, Michigan State (6-4, 315)
                          16. Isaiah Mullens, Wisconsin (6-4, 300)
                          17. Fabien Lovett, Florida State (6-4, 309)*
                          18. Taron Vincent, Ohio State (6-1, 289)
                          19. Kobie Turner, Wake Forest (6-2, 290)
                          20. Jayson Ademilola, Notre Dame (6-3, 276)
                          Preseason top 10 draft-eligible underclassmen defensive tackles

1. Carter
                          2. Bresee
                          3. Ika
                          4. Dexter Sr.
                          5. Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson (6-4, 303)
                          6. Jaquelin Roy, LSU (6-3, 315)
                          7. Tim Smith, Alabama (6-4, 305)
                          8. Brett Johnson, California (6-5, 300)
                          9. Tuli Tuipulotu, USC (6-4, 290)
                          10. Mazi Smith, Michigan (6-3, 335)

Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X