2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

I like this 2023 Chargers team a lot, including draft picks.
    I play arrnchair QB / HC / GM like the rest of PBs but 1st & foremost, I'm a Chargers fan.
    It's hard to wait to see the team in practices & games.
    I most look forward to Moore's 3 WR sets with KA, MW, QJ on the field
    and
    pass rushes with Bosa, Mack and 13.5 sack Tuli, among others.
    Keep the pressure on and the rest of the D doesn't have to be world class.
    When is the next OTA camp?

Comment

• Duck of Death
      Social Piranha
      • May 2022
      • Flyover, USA
      • Send PM

The way the past 2 years ended has really made skeptics of the fan base & I can't say I blame them.

But folks, THIS WAS A DAMN FINE DRAFT! There are playmakers on both sides of the ball. Yes, blocking TE was a need, but really, those aren't that hard to find. Didnt they sign Virgil Green off the street a few years ago? Yes, there were other needs, but they're clearly not done. And that 7th rd QB that I bagged on for lack of armstrength - watch his tape again. That kid has some serious wheels & just makes things happen - he did it against some legit defenses (granted, not UGA). I honestly think this could be TT's best draft ever. Am I high? Am I the only one in thinking this? Feel free to put me in my place cuz I've been fooled plenty before. I just think they came away with a damn good haul.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

LOL, I gave Davis a D+ for draft possition and what was still on the board and his size.

Whats to like?

His speed
        his return skills.

Whats not to like?

He is tiny
        They took him too early
        His is only 165 lbs which ill cringe everytime he gets hit.

Just think Trey Palmer was a better value. He is bigger, faster and also a good return man. Tampa got a steal in the early 6th. We could of drafted him in the 5th and took someone else in the 4th.
        Not sure whether it was the scout, Staley or Telesco - but they got in with Sonny Dykes and were drinking his kool-aid to draft Davis and Duggan

I liked QJ - I had forgot about him pre draft - but if they were taking WR in R1 - I liked him the most

but like you said about Davis - sure the speed is there - but he is small and they could have probably got him later on. Palmer seemed like a no brainer as he can be both return man and WR at some point

I thnk they got so damn enamored watching that tape of TCU getting beat 65-7 by Georgia - they realized they had to get a bunch of players from that game. Davis over Palmer made no sense

Hell I would have liked Palmer in R4

As for Duggan - I think a QB needs to be at worst be accurate throwing the football. Purdy is that. Accurate and smart. Take a flier on a QB in the 7th who is accurate and smart

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
          The way the past 2 years ended has really made skeptics of the fan base & I can't say I blame them.

But folks, THIS WAS A DAMN FINE DRAFT! There are playmakers on both sides of the ball. Yes, blocking TE was a need, but really, those aren't that hard to find. Didnt they sign Virgil Green off the street a few years ago? Yes, there were other needs, but they're clearly not done. And that 7th rd QB that I bagged on for lack of armstrength - watch his tape again. That kid has some serious wheels & just makes things happen - he did it against some legit defenses (granted, not UGA). I honestly think this could be TT's best draft ever. Am I high? Am I the only one in thinking this? Feel free to put me in my place cuz I've been fooled plenty before. I just think they came away with a damn good haul.
          As always, time will tell. Hopefully we get decent production from our first three picks anyways. QJ probably eased in as long as there isnt an injury. Can see the same for Tuli and Henley. Maybe Henley gets more time earlier id Murray dont improve.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Just because we got it dont mean we like what they got. Duggan isnt going to amount to shit imo. But we have 4 years to watch him be Stick 2.0.

Not a fan of the Davis pick. Tiny is tiny. Ill root for him but better value on the board there.

And what you are missing is by your account, we needed a CB drafted high and didnt get not 1. But im good with it actually.And no RB.

Cant fill them all. Overall i like the draft, gave it a B+.
            IMO, 95% of the QB's taken after the first 4 or 5 QB's will amount to shit.
            Unless you're a run-heavy team (we're not) your 2nd string QB ain't gonna cut it. I'm super glad we didn't take one before the 7th round.
            The one thing that is relevant in any Max Duggan conversation is the fact that 2 of his college WR targets are now on the roster.
            That pick was about another camp arm and his familiarity with 2 new targets.

Your views on 165 lb WR's are well-documented. I suggest you focus on how Derius Davis will be used.
            He will occasionally stretch the field in 4 receiver sets. He will occasionally be used in cleared-out drag routes (ala Tyrell Williams). He will occasionally be used for bubble screens... and other short routes that allow for YAC situations. If they start running him over the middle towards ILB's or sending into the seam to get blasted by safeties... I'll jump on board with you and say, "That's a really bad plan/pick". Until then, you're just gonna have to suck it up and see what happens... just like me (when it comes to slot-CB). Only time will tell. Complain all you'd like about drafting him there in the 4th round... but sometimes you may have to move early to ensure a position/player you need badly. Look at the Patriots... they took a small-school guy much earlier than expected and took a kicker in the 4th round.

As you say... Can't fill them all.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Just because we got it dont mean we like what they got. Duggan isnt going to amount to shit imo. But we have 4 years to watch him be Stick 2.0.

Not a fan of the Davis pick. Tiny is tiny. Ill root for him but better value on the board there.

And what you are missing is by your account, we needed a CB drafted high and didnt get not 1. But im good with it actually.And no RB.

Cant fill them all. Overall i like the draft, gave it a B+.
              A LOT of people liked 5-9, 170 Zay Flowers in the 1st - early 2nd round. Davis is same size and speed, Very good KR/PR, useful receiver.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

IMO, 95% of the QB's taken after the first 4 or 5 QB's will amount to shit.
                Unless you're a run-heavy team (we're not) your 2nd string QB ain't gonna cut it. I'm super glad we didn't take one before the 7th round.
                The one thing that is relevant in any Max Duggan conversation is the fact that 2 of his college WR targets are now on the roster.
                That pick was about another camp arm and his familiarity with 2 new targets.

Your views on 165 lb WR's are well-documented. I suggest you focus on how Derius Davis will be used.
                He will occasionally stretch the field in 4 receiver sets. He will occasionally be used in cleared-out drag routes (ala Tyrell Williams). He will occasionally be used for bubble screens... and other short routes that allow for YAC situations. If they start running him over the middle towards ILB's or sending into the seam to get blasted by safeties... I'll jump on board with you and say, "That's a really bad plan/pick". Until then, you're just gonna have to suck it up and see what happens... just like me (when it comes to slot-CB). Only time will tell. Complain all you'd like about drafting him there in the 4th round... but sometimes you may have to move early to ensure a position/player you need badly. Look at the Patriots... they took a small-school guy much earlier than expected and took a kicker in the 4th round.

As you say... Can't fill them all.
                I completely understand how he will be used. All it takes is one hit from a KR or PR to have him miss games is all im saying. He doesnt have to play offensive snaps at all to get hurt at his weight.

Ill root for him to do well. Just think he will be fragile. Just think Palmer would of been better value in the 5th and would see the field a little more and he is a bit faster at a much bigger weight and possibly replace Guyton after this season. But oh well, ill hope for the best,..... as always.

We dont always get what we want as draft fans.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

I'm with u, Duck...first of all, TT didn't needlessly throw away any valuable 3rd or 4th rounders to move up...we stayed put and got some nice talent in both of those rounds...second of all, the Bolts got elite to good talent in pretty much every round...third of all, they got talent at PON...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

A LOT of people liked 5-9, 170 Zay Flowers in the 1st - early 2nd round. Davis is same size and speed, Very good KR/PR, useful receiver.
                    Zay Flowers worked out in the offseason and gained muscle mass to get his weight to 183 lbs and the before and after pics are amazing. So he isnt the same size, Flowers is 18 lbs heavier.

68138607-0-image-a-23_1677523570761.jpg
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-30-2023, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

We are all die hard fans and entitled to our opinions.

You seem to be always an optimist that bestows Telesco and John boy with the benefit of the doubt.

While some of us, myself included, are pessimists by nature and have seen enough of Telesco and John Boy to reinforce our nature.

What we have in common is we all want the team to succeed.
                      Of course people are entitled to their opinion and the entire point of a public forum is to discuss our team.

I will always give people the benefit of the doubt and try hard to always assume good intent. But I also believe and have said here many times that people should be judged by their record. Telesco has not won much and has the bad fortune to be going against a well oiled KC organization. People long for the AJ Smith days, but he was lucky enough to be the GM in the AFC West when it was pretty bad. I think if we don't win at least one playoff game this year, Telesco and Staley should and will be replaced. There is nothing I can do about John Spanos so I don't spend much time thinking about him. I also don't think he meddles with player selection as some here have claimed.

I don't think the team is in nearly as bad of shape as some here do and chuckle at players being written off less than 24 hours after the draft has completed. Time will tell how it all works out.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

I completely understand how he will be used. All it takes is one hit from a KR or PR to have him miss games is all im saying. He doesnt have to play offensive snaps at all to get hurt at his weight.

Ill root for him to do well. Just think he will be fragile. Just think Palmer would of been better value in the 5th and would see the field a little more and he is a bit faster at a much bigger weight and possibly replace Guyton after this season. But oh well, ill hope for the best,..... as always.

We dont always get what we want as draft fans.
                        His survival depends on not taking big hits. Which he was very good at avoiding.
                        It's hard to find a bigger player who can run jitterbug like he does.
                        Palmer has the speed to be a potential returner.
                        Davis is a proven success.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Not bad in terms of us getting the premium picks.

Comment

Working...
                          X