• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Roster Build 2023

think it's 'bout time to start one of these up, as things seem to be heating up around this topic on the draft thread.

and don't think it's gonna be what we're used to, as do think we're gonna retain @least a coupla few from our ps, rather than go out and sign (expensive) FAs, and do think team Tommy John is going to do their best to keep their guys in house.... for the most part.

how do you see our 53 shaping up and what is your draft and FA strategy for this coming offseason ??

Screenshot 2022-10-16 001420.jpg
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

the preamble/warm up as borrowed/assembled from the main page,

Looking at KAs contract for 2023 and 2024, I’m a bit concerned that the chargers might actually cut or trade him before the free agency window starts in March 2023, he’s due a roster bonus of 3.5mil but with 1.5 of base salary guaranteed it’s basically a 4.5mil roster bonus if he’s kept past the deadline, the rest of his base brings him up to almost 23mil for the 2023 season:runaway:

if they cut him the net cap savings would be almost 9mil for 2023 with an additional 9mil coming available in 2024…I think it’s becoming increasingly likely that the chargers will draft a WR in rounds 1-2 in the 2023 draft…

I hope he comes back like gangbusters and has a huge rest of the season, If his hamstring lingers throughout the year, I’m concerned it’ll prompt the chargers to part ways with keenan…
    Looking at the contracts the top WR's signed this past season, I'm thinking Keenans contract looks like a bargain.

But, if that hamstring lasts for the rest of the season they almost certainly will let him go. I sure hope that doesn't happen because we've seen how much the passing attack has suffered with him out.
    yes, but most all those 23-27 million dollar per year guys are in their mid to late 20s, I think adams and hill are the oldest guys in that group and no one would compare keenan to those two without being a serious charger homer…

I too am worried they will move on from him if this thing lingers…if he continues to be out eventually someone else will emerge, Herbert is too good not to find chemistry with someone else…and he’ll need to learn to adapt, modern QBs all have to do this in this era of protected QBs as their careers outlast just about every other position in football by a lot…especially a kid like herbert who typically doesn’t hold on to the ball or take too many uneccessary hits…
    Both KA and Khalil Mack have big cap numbers for 2023 and 2024. Maybe they get re-structured...?
    I'd like to see how well each player does for the remainder of the year before doing anything.
    Same goes for all of the players scheduled to be FA's at year's end.
    Feiler and Vato can be released for additional savings.
    We are $13 million over the cap for 2023.
    Tough decisions are coming.
    they just restructured Mack…the chargers don’t like to add voidable years and extend dead cap hits into the future…

I’m not saying this to be cruel, but there is no way they are restructuring KA, maybe if he was 28-29, I’ve heard people claim that his play style lends itself to longevity but I’ve never bought into that theory…every player has a shelf life and they are all unique and different…the violent cuts that KA has been making for a decade take a toll on feet, ankles, toes, knees, hips, etc…and KA was like james brown of WRs, he was the hardest working man inshow business of football, he wasn’t the type to take plays off and he also trained year round…just because he wasn’t a jump ball guy doesn’t mean he’ll play another 5 years at his customary standard…last year his play dipped a bit, he dropped a lot of balls, and he missed a little time too, this year he’s played all of one half of football since the season started…

the only restructure in KA’s future is probably the pay cut variety, the type that happens when an older player is interested in retiring with the team that drafted him…it’s a paycut restructure with large portion or most of the reduced remaining money fully guaranteed…it can benefit both sides if it’s a friendly mutual thing, and those kind of deals also give players protections against trades via clauses that they can control their destiny if the team decides to trade them eventually…other than that, I can’t imagine it being fiscally responsible to restructure his current deal by converting base pay into signing bonuses, we’re talking about 15mil plus signing bonuses or basically almost as much of a signing bonus as on the whole entire original deal!

I can definitely see Vato and Fieler getting traded or cut outright, neither one has any guaranteed money left for 2023, teams hurting for secondary or O-line help might trade for these guys as they are still solid players but compensation won’t be crazy, maybe a 6th rounder for each guy…if pipkins ends up asking for ridiculous money then feiler might be kept on with probably salyer taking pipkins position at RT something like slater, fieler, linsley, zion, salyer, could potentially be the starting O-line heading into 2023, but we’ll see what ends up happening…
    Yes, Mack was restructured so that he only counted as $8,750,000 against this year's cap. Part of that restructure bonus ($9,000,000) was spread out over the next 2 years. It would be hard to restructure Mack again... without making 2024 (Herbert's option year) a financial burden.

Cutting Keenan after the season saves the Chargers $14.8 million against the cap.
    Cutting Mack after the season saves the Chargers $18.4 million against the cap.

Cutting Feiler after the season saves $6.5 million.
    Cutting Davis after the season saves $7.4 million.

The Chargers are currently $3 million (OTC) or $13 million (Spotrac) over next year's cap.
    The difference in cap numbers are due to OTC's assumption that the NFL cap will increase $10 million next year (probable).
    Herbert's 2024 (5th year option) will probably be around $30 million.
    Also consider that the rookie pool probably costs around $10 million to sign next year.
    Only 40 on the active roster (before any cuts happen) for 2023... some that will not be on the final 53.

Big decisions: Which FA's to re-sign...? Which roster cuts to make...?
    Just hard to see this happen. Vato and Fieler i can easily see happen.
    How much does the cap go up next season? Ive read its alot but didnt get a figure.
    According to the discrepancy between OTC's and Spotrac's cap projections, the cap may go up by $10 million.

Callahan will be a FA that probably can't be re-signed. Vato just doesn't seem to fit. CB/NB is a position that needs to be addressed in the draft IMO.
    Feiler played well in his last game. Trey Pipkins is playing well... and probably can't be re-signed (could get a $12 million contract this off-season).
    Luckily, Salyer is playing well and can be moved to RT next year.
    Slater, Feiler, Linsley, Zion, and Salyer would be a nice OL for a SB push next year.
    I don't trust Jaimes to take over for Feiler. If you're going to cut Feiler... better find a good LG in the draft. I see some good LG prospects.

It's hard to see Mack leave. The jury is out on Rumph. But the cap savings allows for one mid-range FA and several low-cost FA's... Guyton, Fox, Reeder, Scott, Van Noy, Parham...?
    Tranquill and Adderly are struggling but probably qualify as mid-range salary FA signs. I would definitely look to the draft to replace these players.

Keenan (although hurt ATM) has been the face of the Chargers. The offense is so much better with him out there. He is a premier route runner and good fit for Lombardi's offense. Having said that, his contract in 2024 ($25.8 million cap hit) looks unrealistic.
    Woods and the two drafted CBs should be better next year. But yes i can see another CB drafted. Not sure it will be a top pick though. I dont see it at this point.
    Woods biggest problem has been tackling. He is getting there with recognition quickly, just needs to wrap up better.

As for Mack, you just dont give up a 2nd round pick for a one year rental. That would be pretty bad imo.
    I think the Keenan trade talk is crazy. Whatever they do, he will be here next season....but im sure with a better cap situation.
    How do you get under the cap? How do you re-sign/sign FA's to get to the 53-man roster?
    Well, you can't dump Bosa next year as he costs more to cut ($38 million) than to keep ($31 million).
    You could dump him in 2024 ($22 million savings) but eat $7 million in dead cap.

Bosa is also 4 years younger than Mack.
    I'm not passing on KA. I'd keep him on for 2023.
    In 2024 his cap is @$25.8 million though. Do you think he's worth that?
    And remember, all of this discussion is about keeping JH. JH's cap hit (5th-year option will be $30 million.
    Of course, they could re-do his (Herbert's) contract (extension) in 2024 (probable) and lower his cap hit for 2024.
    Other teams seem to find a way when we hear they are over the cap. Look at the Cowboys and Rams. Before least season they had hardly any picks and we're over the cap and won a SB. KC another.
    And I wouldn't expect us to be signing many FAs next year,especially high priced FAs. Id expect none on the high end.
    What if Mack was just a bridge to the 2023 season?
    We're still waiting for Rumph. If he is productive near year's end, do you think Mack is still essential?

I think Mack was an "All In" move for this year. His contract is structured as such.
    I think there are some good EDGE players in this year's 2023 draft. Deep enough to legitimately be there near the end of the 1st round.
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

will start things off not quite a third of the way thru this season, and....

QB * top FA priority for me, as team Tommy John/Stalesco gets a Fail if retaining the QB room had even a smidgin' of anything to do w/keeping J Herbo on the field after suffering his injury. first and large priority is to cough up the funds for Gardner Minshew. peoples say he will be after a starting gig, but things could be worse than living in LA as a young NFL QB, backup or not, and living in SoCal, 'specially if you've never done the such.... would not be looking QB3 if Minshew was signed.

RB * thought Michel was a pretty solid signing @the time, and he could still prove to be a valuable signing, as injury @RB is not so uncommon, and.... high draft priority by my take, albeit pretty much the only guy I'm really interested in atm is Bijan Robinson. if he's off the board, I'd pass, albeit our only real competition round one is apparently Miami ?? first year RBs have made major impacts in the past.

FB * think Horvath is a good (enough) Charger, and prolly wouldn't mess w/things here, albeit dude is nothing set in stone.

WR * don't think anything much happens here. you guys got your wish in resigning MW, and Palmer was drafted w/day two capital, and we do have Bandy on the ps if Guyton is not resigned, albeit would not be surprised if team Tommy John made a genuine effort to resign Guyton ?? otherwise am staying pat, def sticking w/Keenan for the foreseeable future and hoping, wishing and praying we start throwing the longball.... to MW, DeAndre and/or Guyton.

TE * we're looking solid enough here me thinx, albeit there is some risk, if not a fair bit, by keeping w/the both of Parham and McKitty, as health and development concerns have to be part of any "responsible" GM's equation, and.... Charger football includes an elite TE, and not sure we have one, and would @least do my best to attempt to grow it into an elite unit ??

OT * by my count we've got a handful of 'em, w/Rashawn, Jamaree, Feiler, Sarell, and Pips, who again, me thinx our FO will do its darnedest to resign, as don't think it's worth the risk to go out and count on signing a FA or landing a quality OT in the draft, as personally speaking the only OT I feel (real) comfortable with is Skoronski, and even tho he might be a middle of the first round talent, team needs will push him up the board, and more than likely be out of our range ?? and we will need a backup swing tackle, and don't think Feiler has fallen that far off, that he wouldn't be useful.... if we can renegotiate a reasonable restructure w/him, as the Chargers apparently do have an out if nothing can be worked out ?? and not sure that Sarell is the answer, nor that he is much if any better than Storm, but gotta believe that ship has sailed, and that team Tommy John hopefully feel that they gave him a fair 'n square shot @things ??

OG * for all eye know, Matt could stay @LG, even tho eye prefer Zion there, and not sure Jamaree is given that job responsibility either ?? think Jaimes stays on for another go 'round as well.

OC * this is a pretty big deal, as Linsley's back/tendinitis, etc. has started to flare up/make itself known more oft than not. personally would take Salyer up on his offer and let him learn the center position as a hedge against Linsley's precarious health, and would def be looking OC in the draft as well. am also quite certain that I don't want to see ZJ @the OC.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

NT * think we're pretty set here w/J Day and Otito, and.... love me some Siaki Ika in the draft, albeit those kinda guys usually get overdrafted, and again personally, have other needs/players ahead of him.

DT * know we want to replace Jerry here, and Ika can play some 3T, and if Kancey somehow fell in our draft laps, don't think you pass on that, and.... do think we've got our starting front four, and w/Fox available as our pass rushing DT, not sure eye can justify drafting for need over player here ?? will add that I think the most likely scenario is that we bring Fehoko up, due in part to the cap, and also that perhaps dude is (more than) just NFL ready by now ?? will also add that am ok w/keeping Covington as of now.

ED * again we've got our two starters and two backups on paper, and.... not against retaining Tuszka either, albeit prolly on the ps to start the season ?? and re: the draft, my ED guys are not huge priorities, @least by my take, albeit would love to land one day three, or perhaps even better as an UDFA.

LB * just like team Tommy John (initially) decided we would be better off without an NT and better off w/a 305 lbs (pass rushing) IDL instead (how did that work out ?), am not so certain eye like this modern version @ILB, as it has played out to date for the Chargers. was and still am a Denzel fan, and would like to have someone of his ilk on this defensive unit. personally am a bit wary of Noah Sewell, but do really like his intangibles, and @present, would be willing to take the risk day two w/him. if he goes Nakobe Dean w/things even the better, albeit not sure he's not decent value if he falls to round two ??

CB * full house here w/the likes of JC Jack, Asante, Callahan, Ja'Sir, Deane Leonard and Mike D. again my suspicion/sense of things is that team Tommy John will do its darnedest to resign the both of Bryce 'n MIke D. if they don't, there is some talent in the draft, and if the one or both is not resigned in FA, that def ups the draft equation @CB me thinx.

S * common sense would be to go out and get us a vet safety to hedge against the development of JT Woods and in the case that the Nas is not resigned, and.... think Alohi Gilman is gonna fill that role (more economically) as things stand now, and that the trio of Woods, Mark Webb and Ja'Sir Taylor will be given every chance to show that they belong as NFL contributors @safety.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

HC * wasn't in his camp to start with, and have never been overly sold (on his bill of goods) to date. my biggest difficulty w/him is what most see as his biggest strength, as am not a buyer w/what peoples reference as his relationship skills. am not sure he knows who he is as a person, and that he is more acting like he thinks he needs to be as an NFL coach, rather than taking from his well within, in terms of who he really is as a person. he is def not lacking in football intel/IQ, and he can be a very likeable young man, and.... def was not if favor of leaving Herbert on the field post injury in the KC game, and really was not amused by the whole dog 'n pony/circus act that was Storm vs. Pips in preseason, as by my take it made no sense whatsoever not giving Salyer a big shot @things, and as it did not go without notice, that the day Staley took off from practice, some of the coaches put the Bulldog in @tackle for a look see. and ditto w/Kelley in relationship to Sony Michel ?? what are they thinking/smoking ?? also see no reason whatsoever as to why Reeder shouldn't be seeing the field some, if not a fair bit, as have never been sold on DT as an NFL starter, 'specially playing 100 percent of the defensive snaps. and not sure that Brian Flores, Ron Rivera or the like is any sort of answer, and am fairly convinced that John Spanos wouldn't flinch, and would/will def stay on board w/the both of Stalesco, and for the if and when he has any say in the matter. the wild card by my take, is if Dean really has considered putting the team up for sale ??

OC * won't claim to be anywhere football savvy/savant enough to have any real intel on the matter, other than I don't like what I've seen in some respects. mainly I don't understand how you have Herbatron @QB and then that the longball is not part of your repertoire ?? and the peoples that are giving Joe cred here, are prolly severely if not @least somewhat underestimating, if not insulting the contributions of the Rocket Man. alot of peoples could be doing pretty well w/him @the helm of their offense. not sure he's my fall guy, but will shed no tears if he goes on his way (w/Brandon & Co,), and as am a fan who would like to see what Joe Brady could do as our OC.

GM * really hard not to like Tom Telesco, and dude has been on a first round roll as of late. and won't get into any laundry lists here, as have spelled out, and not infrequently so, for the if and when he frustrates me, coz he doz, and.... he really is the front man and clearinghouse for all things John Spanos, and not to mention he is highly deferential to his HC. not sure he is much of any kind of draft sleuth or soothsayer, and he is def not the kind of guy to rock the boat, i.e. remake his scouting department, altho there have been a coupla few changes of the guard on his watch. and am not the guy to hang any of the HC hires on him, as think it's been a Director of Football Ops operation for the most part, if not higher up than that, albeit this season my biggest fear/gripe is that he has left this roster rather vulnerable and exposed to injury, and which has reared its head already. hopefully we surmount and overcome this current heap/mash up of injuries before the season's done, and without too much damage, and.... we're only as good as our record.... Tom.

both him and Staley hang in the balance.... would like it to be different, and.... haven't been optimistic for them for a fair bit of this year now ??

the arrow has been shot, and.... there is no getting it/turning back now.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Off-season:

I'd start with a restructure of Khalil Mack and Keenan Allen. Mack is the defensive star so far and the offense looks pedestrian without Keenan. We have to re-structure to get under the cap.
            Next, I'd cut Feiler and Vato. Again, have to get under the cap and those guy's play has regressed this year. It's a value decision. Replace both in the draft.

Re-signs: No big names here. Value contracts that bring the roster up to 53-man.
            Morgan Fox, Kyle Van Noy, JK Scott, DeAndre Carter, Troy Reeder, Easton Stick (or another cheap FA QB), Christian Covington, Jaylen Guyton.

Probably can't afford (or just don't want): Tillery, Tranquill, Pipkins, Callahan, Michel, Adderly. I'd replace Pipkins with Salyer... the rest can be replaced via the draft.

FA signs: Again, no big names... the cap will be tight. OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. Played for Staley in LAR. With a Mack re-structure, I'd pass on EDGE in the draft, allow Rumph one more year to develop, and bring in Oronkwo for depth/experience. @TE, I'd bring in Hayden Hurst. I liked him in college. Had 1 good year in Atlanta. Depth behind Everett.

Brings the roster count up to 46. With $12 million+- to sign draft picks and in-season moves.
            https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/ro...fb204ff1da280/

Draft: Most of my drafts include EDGE. But my latest included no EDGE because of re-structure of Mack's contract.

1st: S/CB Antonio Johnson. Texas A&M. Replaces Adderly. Versatile DB that could play Star/Money/slot/S. Derwin 2.0 In dime, Cover-3 you'd have Derwin, AJ, and JT Woods roaming the backend... or bring AJ and DJ up closer to the LOS. High football IQ, great in coverage and a great tackler.

2nd: CB Jaylon Jones. Texas A&M. Replaces JC Jackson for the 2023 season. With JC out and Callahan most likely too expensive to re-sign, CB is a big need. Jones can play both man and zone coverage. He's physical, long, and a very good tackler.

3rd: ILB Tommy Eichenberg or Jack Campbell. Replaces Tranquill. Both players are more physical than Tranquill. Both are improving in coverage. Both have high football IQ's and are good tacklers. We must improve our run defense and both understand formations and assignments. Our DL is doing their jobs this year... the LB's are not.
            video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

4th: WR Xavier Hutchinson. Iowa State. A big bodied WR that has been very productive in college. He's not flashy... he's not as fast as many might like... but he gets open and catches the ball. I think he would make a nice compliment to KA, MW, JP, and Jalen Guyton. He can play multiple WR roles.
            No copyright is intended whatsoever with this content. Film footage belongs to ESPN, FOX and the Big 12. Hope you enjoy.Thumbnail retrieved from: https://www...

5th: OG Jordan McFadden. Replace Feiler with a guy that played OT in college. He kind of reminds me of Salyer in skillset and physical abilities. At the very least, he competes with Jaimes... and allows Salyer to move to RT. Slater, McFadden, Linsley, Zion, Salyer would be a fine OL.
            Over the last three seasons, Clemson offensive lineman Jordan McFadden has been one of the most reliable and consistent players at his position. At 6'2" and ...

6th: RB Chris Rodriguez Jr. Replace Michel with a runner that is physical. Goal line duty, 3rd down duty. Depth. Rodriguez goes earlier in some mocks, but there are others, too. IMO, RB is not a huge need. We'll know more once Kelley gets healthy and Spiller gets some reps.
            Chris Rodriguez 2021 Junior season highlights. 205 Rushes, 1,272 Rushing Yards, 8 Rushing Touchdowns, 12 Receptions, 56 Receiving Yards., 2 Receiving Touchdo...

7th: DL Dante Stills. Replace Tillery with a DL that can provide some pass rush. Depth. Again, I don't know if Stills lasts this long... but it's not as much of a need, IMO.
            NFL Defensive Lineman Prospect Dante Stills Highlights

Last edited by Boltnut; 10-29-2022, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

QB: Herbert, Stick
              RB: Eke, Kelley, Spiller, Rodriguez, Horvath
              WR: KA, MW, Palmer, Hutchinson, Guyton
              TE: Everett, Hurst, McKitty, Smartt
              OT: Slater, Salyer, Trainer (or Sarrell)
              OG: Zion, McFadden, Jaimes
              OC: Linsley, Weaver (or someone else)

OLB: Bosa, Mack, Rumph, Okoronkwo, Van Noy
              ILB: K9, Eichenberg, Reeder, Niemann, Ogbongbemiga
              DL: SjD, AJ, Tito, Covington, Fox, Stills
              CB: JC Jackson, ASJ, Jones, Taylor
              DB: Derwin, Johnson, Leonard
              S: Gilman, Woods

K: Hopkins
              P: Scott
              LS: Harris
              KR/PR: Carter

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

haven't run the numbers, and.... am gonna be surprised if they restructure the either of Khalil or Keenan.

also not certain that the likes of Feiler, Vato, Pips and Callahan won't be Chargers next go 'round (would they be more likely to restructure Feiler and Mike D.) ??

you're retaining the both of Carter and Guyton and then drafting WR6 in the fourth round ??

you've got Derwin and JT Woods and then you're drafting a third safety right off the top ??

you're using the draft to replace LG Feiler, CB4 Vato, DT Tillery, LB Tranquill, SCB Callahan, RB3 Michel and FS Adderley, and which you did, save for a WR in lieu of a third DB.

Okoronkwo is def more affordable than Roquan, and seems like another good fit w/Staley's D.

think I'd prefer Campbell over Eichenberg, and like Dante Stills some, albeit might have to go a(t least) round higher there ??

and guessing you like Antonio Johnson ahead of the likes of Sewell or Siaka ?? do you think Skoronski and Fashanu are both off the board before us round one ??

also curious where you rank/slot Bijan and Tyree Wilson round one ??

think I'd prefer Emmanuel Forbes over Jaylon Jones, if still on the board, and.... would be looking TE day two rather than in FA w/Hurst.

also def not stickin' w/Stick, as have stated a heavy preference for Gardner Minshew.... is he anymore likely than Roquan ??

and not sure who Weaver is, and.... the OC is a priority by my take.... perhaps Salyer in the short term, and a draft pick for longterm/development.... (how long does Linsley hang in there ?) also wondering if you like McFadden over Connor Galvin ??

and no Mark Webb, Fehoko, Tuszka, and/or.... ??

ps. in FA, prolly looking QB, RB, LB, FS....
                Last edited by beachcomber; 10-30-2022, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                  haven't run the numbers, and.... am gonna be surprised if they restructure the either of Khalil or Keenan.
                  I don't know much about re-structuring either. But I have been assured by many TPB members that Mack will be re-structured. I used the Spotrac tool to restructure. Mack will count as $16.7 million against the cap and Keenan will count $12.2 million (their calculations).
                  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/ro...fb204ff1da280/

also not certain that the likes of Feiler, Vato, Pips and Callahan won't be Chargers next go 'round (would they be more likely to restructure Feiler and Mike D.) ??
                  Pipkins and Callahan are playing pretty well @ valuable positions. OverTheCap has them valued @about $10-12 million per year. I don't think we can afford them. If we keep Feiler and Vato, they will count as $18 million combined next year. I just see replacing them as much more cost effective.

you're retaining the both of Carter and Guyton and then drafting WR6 in the fourth round ??
                  IMO, Carter's value lies in being our return man. He did OK as a WR the 1st couple games... and then really fell off. Guyton has speed and is relatively cheap. 4th rounder Hutchinson gives us a MW-type in case he should go down. At season's beginning, we though we were deep @WR. We weren't.

you've got Derwin and JT Woods and then you're drafting a third safety right off the top ??
                  I've thought long and hard about this. JT Woods' value is covering the deep pass. His tackling is suspect. Tackling has been a problem again this year. Between our LB's and safeties (mainly Adderly) we've given up a lot of big plays (both running and passing) this year. That is something Staley preached about @season's beginning. That's why I let Adderly go. That's why I'd really only want Woods on the field about 40% of the time... in obvious passing situations. Have him help over the top in certain situations or against certain players/formations. Just imagine what you could do with 2 backend players that can play slot, LB, and/or safety. They can cover WR's, RB's, and TE's... and are both sound tacklers.

you're using the draft to replace LG Feiler, CB4 Vato, DT Tillery, LB Tranquill, SCB Callahan, RB3 Michel and FS Adderley, and which you did, save for a WR in lieu of a third DB.
                  DB
                  will be a mess next year. Not only will we be without SCB Callahan, but we will be without JC Jackson (injury). So why wouldn't I get another CB (especially when I also plan on cutting CB4 Vato)...? I get the concern. But I really believe that both DJ and Antonio Johnson are good enough in coverage to play slot when needed. ASJ, Jones, Derwin, and AJ never leave the field. In dime, Woods replaces a DT. Even JaSir could sub in for a LB... gives you 6 CB/DB's in obvious passing situations.

Vs. the run:
                  Bosa (OLB), Austin Johnson, SJD, Covington, Mack (OLB)
                  Campbell/Eichenberg, K9/Reeder
                  ASJ, Jones
                  Derwin, Antonio Johnson

Vs. the pass
                  Bosa (DE), Fox, Stills, Mack (DE)
                  K9
                  ASJ, Jones, JaSir
                  Derwin, Antonio Johnson
                  JT Woods

Okoronkwo is def more affordable than Roquan, and seems like another good fit w/Staley's D. Exactly! There is no way to bring in Roquan.

think I'd prefer Campbell over Eichenberg, and like Dante Stills some, albeit might have to go a(t least) round higher there ?? Campbell should be there. Wouldn't argue that call at all.

and guessing you like Antonio Johnson ahead of the likes of Sewell or Siaka ?? do you think Skoronski and Fashanu are both off the board before us round one ??
                  I like Sewell and Siaki. I think Antonio is just so versatile. I think the OT's will go #10-15. I think Salyer is our RT next year. The OG class is very deep. Value, value, value...
                  also curious where you rank/slot Bijan and Tyree Wilson round one ??

think I'd prefer Emmanuel Forbes over Jaylon Jones, if still on the board, and.... would be looking TE day two rather than in FA w/Hurst.
                  I like Forbes a lot. I don't think he lasts until middle round 2. If he's there, I'd probably choose him over Jones. Jones is such a solid tackler. Fights off blocks to make tackles.

also def not stickin' w/Stick, as have stated a heavy preference for Gardner Minshew.... is he anymore likely than Roquan ??
                  I was a big proponent of Minshew years ago. He'll be too expensive.

and not sure who Weaver is, and.... the OC is a priority by my take.... perhaps Salyer in the short term, and a draft pick for longterm/development.... (how long does Linsley hang in there ?) also wondering if you like McFadden over Connor Galvin ??

Weaver is on our roster currently as a center. I know nothing about him. Clapp will be a FA @year's end. Linsley's health is a big concern.
                  I like McFadden over Galvin simply because everyone projects McFadden to guard... he already blocks like a guard. His body-type screams "guard".

and no Mark Webb, Fehoko, Tuszka, and/or.... ??
                  Is Webb even on the roster...? On IR...? Fehoko and Tuszka are practice squad guys, IMO.
                  ps. in FA, prolly looking QB, RB, LB, FS....
                  I know that's a little long... good questions!

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

WR speed should be priority #1.
                    And better RBs depth with more speed and ability to catch it.
                    They should be looking to add multiple guys. And have plenty of plays with 3 WR where K.Allen moves into slot and a speedy 4.3 guy is outside. And 4WR sets and have both Williams and Allen inside and two 4.3 speed guys outside.
                    I
                    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                      WR speed should be priority #1.
                      And better RBs depth with more speed and ability to catch it.
                      They should be looking to add multiple guys. And have plenty of plays with 3 WR where K.Allen moves into slot and a speedy 4.3 guy is outside. And 4WR sets and have both Williams and Allen inside and two 4.3 speed guys outside.
                      I
                      last year I liked a wideout or coupla few round one, and alas.... they were all off the board come our pick.

this year much prefer RB/Bijan and TE/Kincaid over the WR crop.... who are your coupla few receivers you like in the draft ??

how are you likin' the TE/RB corps this go 'round ??

and while we're @it, and talking speed.... what are your thoughts 'bout up the middle of the D, w/the possible replacements for Adderley, Tranquil and Tillery ??

who are your guys there (pass rushing DT, LB & DB).... ???

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

last year I liked a wideout or coupla few round one, and alas.... they were all off the board come our pick.

this year much prefer RB/Bijan and TE/Kincaid over the WR crop.... who are your coupla few receivers you like in the draft ??

how are you likin' the TE/RB corps this go 'round ??

and while we're @it, and talking speed.... what are your thoughts 'bout up the middle of the D, w/the possible replacements for Adderley, Tranquil and Tillery ??

who are your guys there (pass rushing DT, LB & DB).... ???
                        There's only so much that rookies can contribute. Rd1 and Rd2 you would like to see them on the field often.

I'm thinking Oline in Rd1 for the 3rd year in a row would be very good move.

..thinking veteran players addition is better for WR and RB upgrades.Veteran should know how to be a pro in this league.
                        I would love to see them add D.Pettis who can also return kicks and another 2 speedy players to the team WRs. And two speedy backs. Rookies make rookie mistakes.

D.Pettis-WR/PR. 4.3 speed. (Replaces Carter at PR/KR)
                        M.Hardman-WR 4.3 speed. J.Hill-RB. 4.4 speed to spell Ekeler.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                        X