• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post
    I'd put Odunze below Harrison Jr. and Nabers.

Many here won't be enamored with his speed and explosion: a smoother, less physical MIke Williams.

Mike tracks deep balls better, but had injury problems in college that unfortunately bled into his NFL career.
    Harrison Jr. is the best player in the draft IMO. But I'd put Odunze over Nabers (just a smidge).
    IMO, Odunze is more a KA comp than a MW comp. Odunze is a very good route runner... not super physical like Mike.
    Odunze will be very productive in the NFL, IMO.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Hard pass. Has anyone anywhere ever fixed a guy like that? All wish to, seems like all fail. One could even argue, our depth (not to mention a few starters, a-hem..) sucks so much cuz of a plethora of such project picks.

Give me a high-motor-every-play guy with slightly less physical ability all day, every day.
      Do they flash? That is what scouts look for starting day 2.
      When they are fixed (not in the pet sense), they yield excellent results.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Do they flash? That is what scouts look for starting day 2.
        When they are fixed (not in the pet sense), they yield excellent results.
        Who have the Chargers ever fixed? Seems, we’re the worst at that, some guys like Gilman eventually develop, but too many we-just-gotta-get-this-guy-playing-more-consistent just don’t (see our current and recent rosters…a lotta of our ex-players fall into that camp IMO).

Just draft guys who play hard every down, do it every round. Our depth issues will vanish. With high picks, draft as polished as possible (no more hands issues, please lol).

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Just sit tight and grab Bowers.

This upcoming season (assuming we nail HC and GM) has such a 2004 vibe - need the emergence of that 15 year career TE to put the cherry on top. That TE safety valve has turned around/saved many QB careers. We should know firsthand.
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2023
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
            Yesterday was fun watching for me (as a lot of my draft targets played for those 4 teams).

Kool-Aid: Harbaugh stayed away from his side of the field. Harbaugh knows.
            Dallas Turner: Had a quiet game but played his assignments well. Does a lot of small things very well.
            Terrion Arnold: Too many times receivers were able to separate from him. Solid tackling.
            Junior Colson: Solid play yesterday @read/react, coverage, occasional blitz. Leader of the defense.
            Blake Corum: Had a big day with a number of big plays. Strong for his size.
            Roman Wilson: Block in the back was a bad look. But made up for that with a number of solid plays, too.
            Drake Nugent: Solid play, moved well, captain of a solid OL group.
            Kris Jenkins: Ate up a lot of double teams and provided a couple of pressures. Played his assignments very well.
            Rod Moore: Harbaugh asks a lot of him. Good read/react... solid tackler.

Rome Odunze: He was the typical mis-match. Size, speed, route running...
            Bralen Trice: Solid edge-play. Good pressure on several plays. @certain times, was a non-factor.
            Ja'Tavion Sanders: Looked good early on... really trailed off late in the game. Injury...?
            Xavier Worthy and Adonai Mitchell were both up/down. They would disappear, then re-appear. The talent is there... but inconsistent.

Happy New Year everyone!
            Boltnut?

Michigan doesn't have NFL type receivers, by not going Kool Aid's way, what does it show?
            He does have quick feet on punt returns: I just never tried to analyze cbs, and those that I liked really popped out: Jalen Ramsey / Jason Verrett.
            Jason Verrett had a great game against Odell Beckham Jr. in college: covered him like a blanket.
            Looking at Kool Aid, how did he fair against top college receivers: Malik Nabers for instance?
            Alabama had Arnold on him for most of the game. Nabers caught 10 passes for 171 yards: why not put Kool Aid on him?
            It seems to be that Alabama keeps Mckinstry on the defense's right side and he doesn't travel over,
            I don't know if I like that.

Here's a former NFL scout from the jets who breaks down Kool Aid
            While many NFL Draft platforms have anointed Alabama cornerback Kool-Aid McKinstry as a first-rounder, the game film isn't backing that.

Also, I just didn't like Corum on most plays, his size and lack of explosiveness really stood out.
            He has some admirable traits, on display in that TD run, no doubt.

I'm concerned by Odunze generally not separating from cbs: at least, that's what I am seeing.
            You can be a physical grab the ball away from a cb guy, but do we want to draft that type of guy so high again?

Not studying these guys at all: but the little I notice seem apt questions.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Harrison Jr. is the best player in the draft IMO. But I'd put Odunze over Nabers (just a smidge).
              IMO, Odunze is more a KA comp than a MW comp. Odunze is a very good route runner... not super physical like Mike.
              Odunze will be very productive in the NFL, IMO.
              Harrison is a slam dunk agree but Odunze shot up my board from idunno vs Nabers to would welcome him with open arms. He's been clocked at 4.34 - Dub ran a 4.54. He got wide open behind the secondary multiple times (which can be mistakes as much as speed but his speed is real i think). I am not sure on the "not as physical" comments, he looked like a man among boys out there to me, stronger than any DB he faced all day.

I need scouting explanations why some other QBs are rated higher than Penix as well. That dude makes the pro NFL throws I didn't see any of the others making. He's big, strong, decisive, effective running out of the pocket - I'm a fan. jmo. I've heard "doesnt make touch throws" - I don't see that but I do see the opposite. Some other QBs cannot drive a ball between two DBs, hit a 15 yard out like he does, etc. He looks pro to me, pending further scouting.

The NT for Texas is lazy. pass.

Saw notes JH stayed away from Kool Aid. ok, but that doesn't shoot him up my board. not that he isn't a very good player but I don't know he's Top 6 level value yet.

Jamrock - yes, I meant Corum - spellcheck thought I should say something else lol. Texas has really good RBs too - I'm not locked on Corum but I was down on him prior to the game, he opened my eyes with what he did against a very very good defense.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

#23 on Texas looked good both running and catching the ball. Don’t remember his name

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                  #23 on Texas looked good both running and catching the ball. Don’t remember his name
                  Blue? Second year kid? Like his ceiling, good now, can get better. The kind of RB we should draft mid rounds.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Harrison is a slam dunk agree but Odunze shot up my board from idunno vs Nabers to would welcome him with open arms. He's been clocked at 4.34 - Dub ran a 4.54. He got wide open behind the secondary multiple times (which can be mistakes as much as speed but his speed is real i think). I am not sure on the "not as physical" comments, he looked like a man among boys out there to me, stronger than any DB he faced all day.

I need scouting explanations why some other QBs are rated higher than Penix as well. That dude makes the pro NFL throws I didn't see any of the others making. He's big, strong, decisive, effective running out of the pocket - I'm a fan. jmo. I've heard "doesnt make touch throws" - I don't see that but I do see the opposite. Some other QBs cannot drive a ball between two DBs, hit a 15 yard out like he does, etc. He looks pro to me, pending further scouting.

Saw notes JH stayed away from Kool Aid. ok, but that doesn't shoot him up my board. not that he isn't a very good player but I don't know he's Top 6 level value yet.

Jamrock - yes, I meant Corum - spellcheck thought I should say something else lol. Texas has really good RBs too - I'm not locked on Corum but I was down on him prior to the game, he opened my eyes with what he did against a very very good defense.
                    For one Penix has a pretty big injury history. He has zero touch, and throws bullet passes, has a very low trajectory arm angle,. but he is very accurate.

I didn't see Texas DL put up their arms up at all during that game and on some those short stick routes id bet he gets some batted down.

That's just what I see. I haven't read any scouting reports on him since we don't need a QB.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-02-2024, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Oklahoma
                      • Send PM

That's where most people think he'll go. I often mock draft him there. His best attribute is his long arms and strength. He isn't as explosive as other edge rushers, IMO. His production dropped from last year. Yesterday I thought he looked inconsistent. One play he'd look great... the next play, just OK.
                      2nd round just may be the sweet spot to draft edge.
                      Trice/Tuimoloau/Braswell

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

For one Penix has a pretty big injury history. He has zero touch, and throws bullet passes, has a very low trajectory arm angle,. but he is very accurate.

I didn't see Texas DL put up their arms at all during that game and on some those short stick routes id bet he gets some batter down.

That's just what I see. I haven't read any scouting reports on him since we don't need a QB.
                        interesting, thx. I like big tall strong QBs with rocket arms ... I thought he was the best QB playing yesterday by far but i'm just an amateur fan, always curious to understand the scouting nuance details. We dont need him, its academic curiosity only.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• charger1993
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Sweat isnt lazy if you focused on him he was collapsing the middle, but like almost every true NT in college his conditioning is ass, he gets tired quick, but that happens when youre 330 plus and just collapsing the center of the line. he'll be a great run defender in the nfl, other than that he wont bring much unless whoever drafts him can get his conditioning up, right now hes only a 2 down lineman, no way you put him in on 3rd and long

Comment

Working...
                          X