Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

We are talking about QB #4.
    Vikes no doubt have one they like.
    Monti will overplay his hand and end up on the clock, "compelled" to take MHJ.
    Chargers get #11 & #23.
    We will not be too greedy.
    We will draft an impact player at #11.
    And try to trade down at #23.
    Best case scenario IMHO.
    Vikings or any QB needy team may not think QB #4 in the draft is worth moving up for. Is QB#4 really that much better than 5 or 6. All depends. But history shows you can wait to get QB 4,5 or 6

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Vikings or any QB needy team may not think QB #4 in the draft is worth moving up for. Is QB#4 really that much better than 5 or 6. All depends. But history shows you can wait to get QB 4,5 or 6
      Mr. jamrock, don't you think Vikes already thought about this before trading up for extra ammo ?

Serious question.
      (The new qualifier required @ TPB. )

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Well, let's see where the QB's landed the past few drafts. Note that 2019 and 2022 were QB-poor years--so some GM's in the hot seat may see this year as their last chance to grab a decent QB...especially if next year is forcast to be a QB-poor year. That might make the hot seat warm up even more...

2023:

image.png

2022: NO QB's taken first 12 picks -- only Kenny Pickett @#20

image.png
        2021:
        image.png

2020: (Note--Jordan Love was picked #26)
        image.png

2019: (QB-poor year):

image.png

Comment

• Jack Burton
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2023
          • Send PM

I think teams have looked at JJ McCarthy vs next years QBs.
          Hell, I’d take Nix or Penix over any QB coming out next year as of today. Things could change but as of right now I don’t think teams scouts are excited at all about next years crop of QBs.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I think teams have looked at JJ McCarthy vs next years QBs.
            Hell, I’d take Nix or Penix over any QB coming out next year as of today. Things could change but as of right now I don’t think teams scouts are excited at all about next years crop of QBs.
            And one, Sanders ...Daddy already said there are teams he won't play for lol. Pretty funny. I don't think his Son is going to be all that. Didn't think he was that great last year.

Comment

• Jack Burton
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2023
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And one, Sanders ...Daddy already said there are teams he won't play for lol. Pretty funny. I don't think his Son is going to be all that. Didn't think he was that great last year.
              Yeah….That looks like a bit of a headache. Who as a HC or GM is excited about drafting the kid of a guy who’s a legend and who just so happens to be a HC himself with aspirations of coaching in the NFL? Gosh, I wonder where he’ll want to coach? And Ewers sounds like an idiot in his interviews I’ve seen him in. He really come off, dumb. Physically he’s a very Cousins level QB. And that’s if everything goes right for him. I’m not seeing some superstar level play form him.
              It’s a very bleh QB draft so far. Things can change though. Gems shine every year. But if I’m forecasting as a GM, I’m doing everything I can to get my QB in this draft and putting that situation in the rear view mirror.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Keep on sending Pro Bowlers at key positions packing and bring in the unproven rook?

Another problem with drafting beanpole at #5 is that if things work out, he'll be very expensive in 5 years.
                Unlike Telesco, most GMs don't want to lock up all the money at one position.

So, you will be almost forced to send Slater packing, perhaps prematurely - for the late 3rd rounder (hip hip hooray!!)

And then beanpole gets back problems, regresses, never develops beyond that first year ......
                Well, that's one way to look at it, I guess.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well, let's see where the QB's landed the past few drafts. Note that 2019 and 2022 were QB-poor years--so some GM's in the hot seat may see this year as their last chance to grab a decent QB...especially if next year is forcast to be a QB-poor year. That might make the hot seat warm up even more...

2023:

image.png

2022: NO QB's taken first 12 picks -- only Kenny Pickett @#20

image.png
                  2021:
                  image.png

2020: (Note--Jordan Love was picked #26)
                  image.png

2019: (QB-poor year):

image.png
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NFL_draft
                  This year feels like 2021

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Mr. jamrock, don't you think Vikes already thought about this before trading up for extra ammo ?

Serious question.
                    (The new qualifier required @ TPB. )

Fair question. It gives them flexibility if they have their sights set on one guy (other than Caleb). But that would really only come into play if the Commanders and Patriots don't take who they view as the second best QB.

otherwise they can wait. And Mr Wu-dai what do you think of paying Sam Darnold $10m?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Fair question. It gives them flexibility if they have their sights set on one guy (other than Caleb). But that would really only come into play if the Commanders and Patriots don't take who they view as the second best QB.

otherwise they can wait. And Mr Wu-dai what do you think of paying Sam Darnold $10m?
                      Expensive placeholder if you ask me.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

This year feels like 2021
                        Yes...strong QB year this year...all the more urgency for some GM in the hot seat to move up and grab one of the top 4-5 QB's before they're gone...and before HE'S gone...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

What’s going on PBB,

It’s cool I don’t take it personal. I just try to give a perspective that isn’t just about any particular player but there is a real financial side to these decisions. Too many people are trying to dig in on particular players and on this “Harbaugh/Hortiz philosophy”. They are using what we call aged and outdated data.
                          Harbaugh and Hortiz have already begun to improve the run game and line play but people are so hung up on the trenches philosophy that they think the 1st pick just has to be an Olineman even if said line man has to switch the side of the field they are on.

They also think you can just force the Vikings to make this trade when theoretically the Vikings can sit right where they are and get a QB that may even be Maye/McCarthy or perhaps Penix. I believe one of Maye/McCarthy tumbles a bit. I know coach is talking up McCarthy but the film doesn’t add up.

I also find it fascinating that people who use the Baltimore example to speak against getting the Blue-Chip Receiver at pick #5 by using the “Draft philosophy” of Hortiz and Greg Roman as this extreme smash mouth team as a reason to draft a lineman first. If this was the case, then why has Baltimore/Hortiz drafted a WR in the first round 3 of the last 5 years including 2 of those years while Greg Roman was still the OC. Seems like they looked and said we need playmakers at receiver to keep the defense honest and get quick scores rather than 10-15 play drives all day. (Was this a Philosophy Change?)

Lastly, the whole Harbaugh trenches thing is being taken way out of context. Does he believe in it? You bet he does. However, it’s how he accomplishes this is what a lot of people are reading into wrong. (IMHO) I think he focuses on Coaching first over personnel, philosophy second, depth third and then personnel.

Did you know while at Michigan, Harbaugh has had all of ONE offensive lineman drafted in the first round. That was a Center Caesar Ruiz.
                          In fact, he has had only FOUR Offensive Lineman Drafted in the first 3 rounds of the draft.
                          1 Third round tackle
                          2- Third round centers

Pretty Amazing considering he’s a “Trenches GUY” which his is by the way.
                          The hate part was a bit of a joke .... ruffled a few feathers perhaps.

Baltimore generally gets their Olineman after round 2 and allows them to sit and develop.
                          Telesco would always draft these guys and have them start right away, while changing positions.

Pip was so far off that they just couldn't do it without getting Rivers killed.
                          Well, Pip turned into a better NFL offensive lineman than all the guys drafted higher, save Slater.

If Chris Watt was drafted by Baltimore, he'd probably have had a successful career.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they wait until round 3 and beyond to start drafting Olinemen,
                          and then traded for a vet right after the draft.

Put Salyer back at OT and have him compete with Pip.
                          Let their draftees sit, learn and develop.

I don't know what to think of drafting Fuaga and moving him to guard temporarily: sounds like T.T. is back in charge.

Comment

Working...
                          X