• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Beating the Chiefs does not involving trying to do what they do, only better.

The way to beat the Chiefs is to do something different than what they do, namely run the football and manage the clock, tempo.

It says it right there in the Jim Harbaugh Experience users manual..."impose our will".

Don't pay attention to the draft grades you get at PFF or NFL Mock Draft Database or the Buzz.

Think of what we are turning into, and that is where our personnel challenge begins.

If you are not confident that we can find a replacement for MW, or an OT that makes Pipkins hear footsteps, or a Center that succeeds Linsley, on day three, then you are not paying enough attention to details.
    Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
      Tip Reiman is my new late round TE.
      Props to Woody or whoever it was on him early.
      Beach’s report said he can’t run routes but serious blocking potential,IMG_1523.jpg
      Tip showed agility today.
      He will usually block the shit out of you. Yeah I mocked him to us but now we have to draft him earlier.

Stover may not be Canadian like Theo but he is 100% farm boy, country strong and country tough. Cade got in Sikkema's grill the other day for giving him a bad blocking grade.

Do not forget the Jackrabbit in round 7.
      Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Braelon Allen * like his feet/the way he moves, had real issues catching the ball/multiple drops, passable giddy up on wheel route
        Emani Bailey * change of pace back that can catch based on solid showing @SB, cuts not super clean, one cut & nothing after that, looks better running routes
        Trey Benson * way faster than expected, 'specially considering his frame, short area stuff underwhelming, missing half step in quickness dept., may need better balance, smooth but cuts underwhelming, worse than Corum, bit high & upright, hoping he's got some Breece Hall to him
        Blake Corum * cuts & vision stand out, quicker feet than thought, smooth, very impressed
        Isaiah Davis * he sux, can't play, not interested
        Ray Davis * doesn't have sexy/quick feet, better than expected movement skills, no issues catching ball
        Daijun Edwards * prolly not a burner, but has enough, doesn't have super quick feet, but vision really good, loved his cuts/no problem cutting, links moves together well
        Audric Estime * slow as dirt/flashback of fat turds that can't play, would bet against him, feet are terrible, vert better than speed, not terrible athlete, just can't run or move well, worst time of group
        Frank Gore Jr. * had incredible East West game, unsure of how explosive he is, leaning toward underwhelming there, no grease lightning here
        Isaac Guerendo * better than expected, age is whatever as shelf life is limited to start with, quick footed, top score in vert
        George Halani * cuts are slow in short area, don't like the way he runs the route
        Bucky Irving * slower than hoped for, better short area, quicker than fast, has burst after cut, like/love his feet, worst vert
        Dillon Johnson * have never seen extra burst, nothing special 'bout him, doesn't have that half second you need, short area not it either, doesn't link moves together, numbers lagging near end of group
        Jawhar Jordan * nothing stood out, pretty good routes
        Dylan Laube * camp body, can catch, has some wiggle, confident in hands
        MarShawn Lloyd * want to like him more, but know what I saw on the field, something is missing, not super greased up, but can shake 'n bake, plus athlete
        Kendall Milton * can't get to higher gear, avg footwork
        Keilan Robinson * def scatback ability, upside as receiver w/movement skills, best pure mover/speed combo, better burst than most (doesn't sound like an UDFA to me ?)
        Tyrone Tracey Jr. * converted receiver, better running routes
        Kimani Vidal * decent mover, good play speed
        Jaylen Wright * less than impressed w/short area, faster than quick (is that what's missing ?), can hit homerun (but can he create it on his own ?)

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

See my edit: You're making a Strawman argument.
          Zion's performance has no bearing on what we do @RT in this draft.
          No, but he is part of the middle of the OL that has stunk and had a worse score than Pipkins. We may not do anything at RT , or maybe we will but the biggest problem is inside.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

WR metrics that matter....

3 cone under 7.... Ricky Pearsall, Luke McCaffrey, Rome Odunze, Troy Franklin, Jalen McMillan
            shuttle.... McCaffrey, Odunze, Pearsall
            broad jump.... Adonai Mitchell, Devontez Walker, Jermaine Burton, Xavier Worthy
            10 yard split.... Xavier Worthy, Brian Thomas

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Boltnut has never said that. He's on the record for a center in the second round.

If there were a Quenton Nelson in this draft I'm sure Boltnut would be all about him with our first-round pick. The best option for the offensive line with our fifth overall pick seems to be Alt, though. If Hortiz and Harbaugh don't want Alt there, so be it.
              Depends who you ask i suppose.
              And we all are on record with a OC however we get it. Draft or FA.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Salyer @RT will be a risk... he's never played there. Only 2 games @RT in college.
                Hoping that new coaching will raise Pipkin's level to the level Harbaugh/Roman are expecting... also a big risk. You are 100% right.
                Like you, I think we're moving forward with Zion (for sure... because of his college tape @BC).
                Salyer...? Who knows. There will be a learning curve @RG. They may draft a RG in the 4th if they feel Salyer doesn't fit.
                Salyer's future performance @RG has absolutely no bearing on whether they replace Pipkins this year.
                Like you said, don't sell me on average (at best) and expect me to like it.

In the end, we know why Pipkins has been elevated to "acceptable" by some. They simply desire a TE or WR.
                Draft a RT late. Like everybody does.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Their WRs and CBs are expendable in that they want to avoid high contracts at those positions. Sneed is on the trade block as a result.

After Mahommies....the G and RT (Interior linemen) are highest paid on offense and Chris Jones (DT) commands the d-line's salary budget.

This is why a trade down works for us. We need top interior linemen (Herbert has no pocket) and top interior defenders (historic worse run D) asap. More picks increases likely hood for hits in said positions.
                  The Chiefs got a steal with OT Donovan Smith this year. But he'll demand more next year.
                  There's almost no way they replace @that position with a 3rd round development player.
                  If they move up in the draft... it won't be for a TE. It will be for one of the OT's.

We have so many needs just on defense alone. DT (maybe 2), CB, LB. And edge also needs support if /when Mack or Bosa are traded. Taking a WR or TE @#5 would be insane (especially considering Chargers desire to run).

A trade back to #10-14 would collect extra picks and allow us to rebuild @DT, LB, and CB.
                  It seems fairly risky not to spend the 2nd round pick on center. After JPJ, Frazier, and SVP... there is significant drop-off IMO. Unlike most people, I don't think there is a big difference between the 3 centers.

Best case scenario:
                  Trade back to #11 (Vikings) allowing them to pick up their QB of the future. Pick up a 2nd round pick in the process.
                  Trade from #11 to #15 (Colts). They catch Bowers-Mania and trade us their 3rd rounder to move up.
                  Trade Mack for a 3rd rounder.

With the #15 pick they select RT Amarius Mims... and run the shit out of the ball.
                  With the #37 pick they select a center.
                  In round 3, they pick up DT, LB, and CB. JH likes to play defense (the forgotten element)
                  In round 4 they get a RB from a very deep class.
                  In round 5 you get your blocking sneaky good edge depth. Hopefully someone who can drop into coverage (Jaylen Harrell anyone?)
                  In round 6... now you get a blocking TE. Compliment the FA TE you picked up in March.
                  In round 7... a WR... blasphemy, I say! Make sure he can block.

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

The Chiefs got a steal with OT Donovan Smith this year. But he'll demand more next year.
                    There's almost no way they replace @that position with a 3rd round development player.
                    If they move up in the draft... it won't be for a TE. It will be for one of the OT's.

We have so many needs just on defense alone. DT (maybe 2), CB, LB. And edge also needs support if /when Mack or Bosa are traded. Taking a WR or TE @#5 would be insane (especially considering Chargers desire to run).

A trade back to #10-14 would collect extra picks and allow us to rebuild @DT, LB, and CB.
                    It seems fairly risky not to spend the 2nd round pick on center. After JPJ, Frazier, and SVP... there is significant drop-off IMO. Unlike most people, I don't think there is a big difference between the 3 centers.

Best case scenario:
                    Trade back to #11 (Vikings) allowing them to pick up their QB of the future. Pick up a 2nd round pick in the process.
                    Trade from #11 to #15 (Colts). They catch Bowers-Mania and trade us their 3rd rounder to move up.
                    Trade Mack for a 3rd rounder.

With the #15 pick they select RT Amarius Mims... and run the shit out of the ball.
                    With the #37 pick they select a center.
                    In round 3, they pick up DT, LB, and CB. JH likes to play defense (the forgotten element)
                    In round 4 they get a RB from a very deep class.
                    In round 5 you get your blocking sneaky good edge depth. Hopefully someone who can drop into coverage (Jaylen Harrell anyone?)
                    In round 6... now you get a blocking TE. Compliment the FA TE you picked up in March.
                    In round 7... a WR... blasphemy, I say! Make sure he can block.
                    Yeah round 2 is perfect for targeting a center. It could be very possible that such a center may be considered a late 1st rounder in other year's drafts. This draft is very top heavy with QBs which is very favorable for us to trade down.

In the grande scheme of things we need to provide Herbert a top 10 O-line which we can do this season. The D-line will take 2 seasons imho to be rebuilt.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Oklahoma
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No, but he is part of the middle of the OL that has stunk and had a worse score than Pipkins. We may not do anything at RT , or maybe we will but the biggest problem is inside.
                      Because they are a few years younger and from what they did in college we have more faith in Zion and Salyer going forward.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Right....

Edit: If Clapp and Jaimes are on the final 53-man roster... something has gone drastically wrong.
                        Salyer had never played RG in his life (before last year)... I am not surprised he struggled. He's in his 2nd year.
                        Pipkins barely saw the field in his first 2 years. In his 3rd year... he got beat out by Storm Norton.
                        Zion played RG his rookie year (never played there before). He had a bad year @ his natural position last year.
                        There is no way in hell he is being replaced this year, though. IF Zion and Salyer continue to struggle this year @OG, they could/should be replaced until the Chargers get it right. Even then... it has NO bearing on the RT position. This is a strawman argument.
                        Point is, it needs fixing. Whether that means with players or coaching. We know we will get new OCs.
                        Salyer can't be starting next year at RG. Sure he can Improve and will get his looks with the new OL coach but he was a better OT. Move him back. Not saying he needs to start, he just may need to move. We can't wait for him if we want to run the ball next season. He may end up as depth at OG or OT. Upgrade the interior now. OC and OG in the draft or FA.

We will not start 3 rookies on the OL. One of OC and OG may be a FA. Id say RT but those cost more.

Zion shouldn't of had a worse 2nd season back at his normal position. I'm going to say better coaching may fix things for the better alone. And that also means for Pipkins as well. He was better in 2022 with an injured knee than he was last season.

You look at your weakest spots and go from there. If they draft a RT at 5 or 8 , then cool. That's what they have decided after watching tape of our OL. Maybe they decide another area is weakest after some roster moves for which they haven't made yet.

You know i want Bowers but I'm not stuck enough to not know they won't upgrade the OL,and DL so I know anything can happen. Depends on upcoming moves. I know what they want to do, just depends on how they do it.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

the names that have gained traction in my world via the 'Bine are Blake Corum, Luke McCaffrey, Jordan Magee

the guys holding steady on my watch are Joe Milton, Ben Sinnott, Byron Murphy, T'Vondre Sweat, Cole Bishop, Terrion Arnold, Kool Aid, Kamari Lassiter

guys lookin' like they might be good value might be Bralen Trice, Cedric Gray, Kalen King

Comment

Working...
                          X