• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Its very possible that one well respected draftnik pulled the Latham selection out of his ass, and then a lot of minnows followed suite.
    Didn't Belicheck recently say that the only rumors that matter are the ones 12 hrs from the draft?

So if we're now starting to hear more about Alt and Latham....OT it is!
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Its very possible that one well respected draftnik pulled the Latham selection out of his ass, and then a lot of minnows followed suite.
      Agreed

And I think they took the words of Harbaugh about wanting to protect Herbert and run the ball -- almost to heart

And my thing is this - Harbaugh and Hortiz want to WIN - they are NOT going to give up elite talent - and that is a top 5 especially if three QBs go ahead of them - to draft for a bigger need

The Chargers biggest need is actually IDL if you ask me - but is that Newton guy worth the 5th pick, don't think so. Now trading back makes sense - or picking the best player makes sense. Reaching for need is losing proposition in the NFL if you do it enough.

Now if this is Round 3 and you have two players ranked neck and neck, thats a good tiebreaker. But I just don't think players in the top 10 are closer in talent like later rounds. I think there are levels of talent

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

So...we want the best football player...and we cant ignore positional value...

Well...which is it? You cant have both...

Bowers is the best pure football player. He is a playmaker, and he can block..and he won back to back Mackey awards...first time ever...

Correct me if Im wrong...but is there a receiver in this draft with back to back Bilitnikovs? An olineman with 2 Lombardis?

Ok...positional value...cant pick a TE at 5...I at least understand that point...but lets talk about positional value. Did a quick search, and the first few articles that popped up said pretty much this...

Tier 1=QBs
        Tier 2=OTs(no left or right qualifier) and pass rushers
        Tier 3=WR and various other positions, like CB, depending on article.

So...we should go best pure football player, or positional value...Bowers or OT, right?

Just say you really wanna see Herbert have a sexy WR to throw to most of all, and be done. I can at least respect that argument, because its honest.

Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Bowers is the best pure football player. He is a playmaker, and he can block..and he won back to back Mackey awards...first time ever...

Correct me if Im wrong...but is there a receiver in this draft with back to back Bilitnikovs? An olineman with 2 Lombardis?

Ok...positional value...cant pick a TE at 5...I at least understand that point...but lets talk about positional value. Did a quick search, and the first few articles that popped up said pretty much this...

Tier 1=QBs

So...we should go best pure football player, or positional value...Bowers or OT, right?

Just say you really wanna see Herbert have a sexy WR to throw to most of all, and be done. I can at least respect that argument, because its honest.
          Has anybody linked Bowers to the Chargers? Been pretty quiet on that front actually

If you are telling me the choice isn't WR at 5 - to me it should be Bowers

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Has anybody linked Bowers to the Chargers? Been pretty quiet on that front actually

If you are telling me the choice isn't WR at 5 - to me it should be Bowers
            Im not telling anybody anything, but to have fun, and embrace WHATEVER Jim n Joe do...
            Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Tier 1=QBs

Yes, Yes, Yes give me sexy after losing our top 2 sexy receivers...

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Alt and Latham are the safest bets at a position of great urgency, with necessary attitude for the style of play we want to implement. Culture change starts with these types of players, leaders.

Nabers is a boom/bust pic with diva written all over him, limited production in college aside from one year. Don't get enamored with solely the physical traits. He will start to complain in year 2 about not enough touches or having to block so much. This guy is not a fit here IMO.

I would take Odunze over Nabers if we HAD to pick WR. But we can/will address WR later.

I was on the Bowers hype train a couple months ago but he is undersized and benefitted from playing in a very gimmicky system. Not at #5, no thanks.
                ^ This...I do NOT want "Bad" Nabers...Odie is fine, but I just don't think wideout is that high a priority in the Roman Offense...on the other hand, OT and TE ARE important...along with a road grading OG and C depth...and an RB to complete our committee...

Comment

• UtahBolt
                  Did we win?
                  • Jun 2013
                  • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                  • Send PM

Latham's not a clean prospect by any stretch: some scouts accuse him of going on auto pilot for long stretches.
                  He's the guy who let the edge player over him blow up the final play against Michigan.

He's a heavy guy and might have to pace himself more than most.
                  His weight and his ability to manage it would be my biggest concern with Latham. Not to mention, that last play in the Rose Bowl was the biggest play of his life and it was pretty weak. I get it, one play does not make a career but...

I'm sill in the Bowers camp!
                  I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2023
                    • Send PM

Agreed

And I think they took the words of Harbaugh about wanting to protect Herbert and run the ball -- almost to heart

And my thing is this - Harbaugh and Hortiz want to WIN - they are NOT going to give up elite talent - and that is a top 5 especially if three QBs go ahead of them - to draft for a bigger need

The Chargers biggest need is actually IDL if you ask me - but is that Newton guy worth the 5th pick, don't think so. Now trading back makes sense - or picking the best player makes sense. Reaching for need is losing proposition in the NFL if you do it enough.

Now if this is Round 3 and you have two players ranked neck and neck, thats a good tiebreaker. But I just don't think players in the top 10 are closer in talent like later rounds. I think there are levels of talent
                    Yeah, I’m just having a hard time believing that a strictly RT prospect is the BPA on the Chargers board in this draft. That’s a real stretch.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Agreed

^ This...I hope they draft a road-grading pass pro OG early...and maybe C depth in round 4-5...

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Yes, Yes, Yes give me sexy after losing our top 2 sexy receivers...

That 'thud' you hear is your body hitting the living room floor if the pick is Bowers.

Comment

• Boltx
                          Dominate the day
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post

His weight and his ability to manage it would be my biggest concern with Latham. Not to mention, that last play in the Rose Bowl was the biggest play of his life and it was pretty weak. I get it, one play does not make a career but...

I'm sill in the Bowers camp!
                          Latham can probably play guard if they don't think he's ready for RT and/or they want to try to see what Pip can do.

I get the DJ Fluker comparisons but Latham seems far better.
                          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Working...
                          X