• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

Kelce was 6'4.5" and 257 at the combine.
    Bowers is listed at 6'4(could come in lower) and 240.

Just saying.
    Kelce doesn't look like he's playing at 257 nowadays or anytime in the last 5-6 years, I'd say he looks like he weighs about 240, but some people weigh more because their muscle and bone density is different, which could explain the durability of both kelce brothers over the years...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Kelce doesn't look like he's playing at 257 nowadays or anytime in the last 5-6 years, I'd say he looks like he weighs about 240, but some people weigh more because their muscle and bone density is different, which could explain the durability of both kelce brothers over the years...
      Kelce as amazing as he is doesn't have the best physique, the pipes are a little wiry. Bowers is more muscular, so he is a powerful 240 and breaks tackles

Comment

• SAY OW 55
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I don't want to replace Slater with Alt. I'm looking at options for right tackle.

Tyron Smith was drafted as a right tackle in 2011. He was 20 years old, and there were a lot of questions about him succeeding in the NFL, which is why he fell to the ninth overall pick that year.

You're throwing out all of these names of elite offensive tackles and asking is Joe Alt any of them. My answer is I don't know...I'm not an NFL scout, but I do like Alt's potential. You seem to have determined that he's not as good as any of those players, so I'm asking you how you have determined that.

There are just as many "experts" throwing around the overused words of "generational talent" for Joe Alt as there are for Brock Bowers. Most of it is complete bullshit, as these people have no experience breaking down film at the college or professional level.

I don’t talk shit out the side of my ass. I’m going to give you an honest assessment. I actually agree with you.

I looked at the tape and I see a really good player potential franchise left tackle.

I can’t just say a player is overrated when he’s not. I look at a player and I’ll say what I see. Joe Alt. I saw one player who looks like a franchise left tackle. Perennial all pro.

tape don’t lie. He has great bend. Great footwork. All traits you want to see from a franchise left tackle. Great athlete. He can run whatever you want. A superstar.

So when I asked you. It was a legit question I wanted you to answer it for me. What did you see? So I had to look myself. You bring up Tyron Smith. He was a grown man. people didn’t see him cause he played on the USC team with Cody Kessler. But he was phenomenal.

Tony Boseli. That’s what I see.

Evan Neal you could see had flaws but they proped him up cause he was on Alabama I don’t see that.

But we can’t ignore who Brock Bowers is. He’s a special talent. So you decide what you want. Evaluating this team with our all pro left tackle here. We have our franchise protected. We need that all pro Travis Kelce and I think that’s Brock Bowers. That’s who I would draft.

I’ve wanted Brock Bowers since he was a freshman. Look at his freshman Stats. I have the same grade on him that I had on Jamar Chase coming out of LSU. Home run hitter. I don’t say that about tight ends a lot.

I didn’t have that grade on Pitts.

I had that on Winslow Jr. just looking at the athlete what he was coming out of Miami you could see it.

Bowers with Harbaugh and Herbert will be special.

I didn’t see Mike Mcglintckly in Alt. Which was good. A big talk left tackle out of Notre Dame who for some reason was drafted before Derwin James. So I wanted people to caution that because they were doing that to.

I see more Jake Matthews who was a great tackle coming out of Texas AnM with Manziel Johnny Football and Mike Evans.

Comment

• bman6555
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

While I love the idea of Bowers on the Bolts, the reality of taking him doesn't make sense from a positional value point of view at #5 and looking at our roster.
          I'm going to go with the 3 QB and MHJ drafted before us as the scenario as otherwise we easily take MHJ or trade down for a ransom for someone who wants whichever QB falls.

Looking at our cap space (or lack of it), it means almost assuredly one of our high paid WRs (and realistically it's Mike Williams) gets cut, and one of Bosa or Mack (or maybe both).
          QJ is not the answer so far, and Allen is not getting younger, so WR is a big need also.
          Bowers isn't being drafted for blocking, so let's compare him as a receiver.
          Last year in the NFL in receiving yards the first TE was Kittle at 24, and he was the only one top 25. For TDs caught there was only 1 TE (LaPorta) in the top 25 also.
          Bower's production and stats would be less than that of a Nabers or Odunze easily.
          Why do you think the Chiefs were able to keep Kelce, but had to deal Tyreek; they (and other teams) know where the value and better player is.
          If you went to every team and offered them #5 for their best TE all of them would take the pick.
          Then you also look at the history of highly drafted TEs and it's a disaster. You'd be banking on Bowers not only being good but upper-tier HoF (Gates, Gronk, Tony G, Kelce) level to get good return on the pick.

Overall, there just isn't enough value in Bowers to take him at #5.
          I'd take a WR (Nabers), or if the team is convinced on a Tackle or EDGE player that'd be second choice.
          If they really want Bowers, then at least trade down and get some picks, as we'll need to refill the roster after the cap cuts incoming.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by bman6555 View Post
            While I love the idea of Bowers on the Bolts, the reality of taking him doesn't make sense from a positional value point of view at #5 and looking at our roster.
            I'm going to go with the 3 QB and MHJ drafted before us as the scenario as otherwise we easily take MHJ or trade down for a ransom for someone who wants whichever QB falls.

Looking at our cap space (or lack of it), it means almost assuredly one of our high paid WRs (and realistically it's Mike Williams) gets cut, and one of Bosa or Mack (or maybe both).
            QJ is not the answer so far, and Allen is not getting younger, so WR is a big need also.
            Last year in the NFL in receiving yards the first TE was Kittle at 24, and he was the only one top 25. For TDs caught there was only 1 TE (LaPorta) in the top 25 also.
            Bower's production and stats would be less than that of a Nabers or Odunze easily.
            Why do you think the Chiefs were able to keep Kelce, but had to deal Tyreek; they (and other teams) know where the value and better player is.
            If you went to every team and offered them #5 for their best TE all of them would take the pick.
            Then you also look at the history of highly drafted TEs and it's a disaster. You'd be banking on Bowers not only being good but upper-tier HoF (Gates, Gronk, Tony G, Kelce) level to get good return on the pick.

I'd take a WR (Nabers), or if the team is convinced on a Tackle or EDGE player that'd be second choice.
            If they really want Bowers, then at least trade down and get some picks, as we'll need to refill the roster after the cap cuts incoming.
            Who do you want to watch on the Chargers? Brock Bowers or Dallas Turner? An Edge in a weak defensive class or the best TE in college football history?

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Who do you want to watch on the Chargers? Brock Bowers or Dallas Turner? An Edge in a weak defensive class or the best TE in college football history?
              would much rather watch Fuaga and a healthy JH than Brocko.... the idea is to win, not just shore up a position w/your fave from his freshman year.

dude is a straight line athlete that excelled in college.... taking TE early is like taking a S early.... would rather go IDL/OT early.... you want to keep Pips as your starter.... I prefer Everett for another year.
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• BigBad
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

Max Chadwick details why the Los Angeles Chargers would be wise to target Georgia TE Brock Bowers in the 2024 NFL Draft.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

would much rather watch Fuaga and a healthy JH than Brocko.... the idea is to win, not just shore up a position w/your fave from his freshman year.

dude is a straight line athlete that excelled in college.... taking TE early is like taking a S early.... would rather go IDL/OT early.... you want to keep Pips as your starter.... I prefer Everett for another year.
                  OL top 5 is more justifiable if you need a left tackle, we don't. I am open to a trade down a few spots for Fuaga, the best natural right tackle in this draft.

I don't think there is an stud EDGE player in this draft good enough for a top 5 pick. Definitely not an IDL worth top 5

Lastly, our TE group was among the least productive in the NFL last year and no one can block. Harbaugh loves and relies on TES. No way we trot back the same group as last year

Comment

• bman6555
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

All that matters is if he will be the best TE in NFL history. For example Tim Tebow is the best college QB in history, most knew he had little chance in the NFL.

I'd rather watch us win a SB. Next year will be a lost cause due to the cap situation. The team needs to build for 2 years from now. You (trade down) and take an edge to pair with Tuli and yeah that'd be exciting. You a take a #1 WR to take over for KA and MW, yeah that's exciting. You take a tackle and build a line that allows us to both rush and protect, yeah that's exiting. Taking a TE and then losing a bunch because you neglected other positions isn't exciting though.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2022
                      • Send PM

Where do people come up with this idea of value at #5? The value comes from the team drafting the player not the fans or talking heads. If the player is the best player in a position of need, then the value increases. There is plenty of value in Bowers to be picked @ #5.
                      1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                      2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                      2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                      3a- #66 Puni OT
                      3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                      4a- #105 Rice WR
                      4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                      5- #140 Green CB
                      6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

All that matters is if he will be the best TE in NFL history. For example Tim Tebow is the best college QB in history, most knew he had little chance in the NFL.

I'd rather watch us win a SB. Next year will be a lost cause due to the cap situation. The team needs to build for 2 years from now. You (trade down) and take an edge to pair with Tuli and yeah that'd be exciting. You a take a #1 WR to take over for KA and MW, yeah that's exciting. You take a tackle and build a line that allows us to both rush and protect, yeah that's exiting. Taking a TE and then losing a bunch because you neglected other positions isn't exciting though.
                        I bet you would have said drafting an RB at 12 last year was a no no. Well a team that made the Final 4 didn't care. They saw a special playmaker and used the 12 pick. Now they have a stud Gibbs who is a total difference maker to their offense for the foreseeable future.

There are exceptions.

Bowers is no Tebow.

And make no mistake TE is a need, the group we had last year sucks. TE is a staple of Harbaugh offenses.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

plus he's a SoCal kid, SOLD!
                          NoCal, he is from Napa.

Comment

Working...
                          X