• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

LOL. Those Patriots won with defense special teams and game manager work by Brady in those early years. Brady got injured in post season and Bledsoe went in in relief and won the game. So Brady didn't avoid getting hurt. Brady also missed a whole season on IR during his career.

And you have to know Rivers played on busted ACL, so he didn't avoid the injury. He just played through it. Tough as nails competitor.

You are acting like if Rivers didn't have a better OL and time to throw he couldn't have won the league MVP and probably a Superbowl. He never had the line of scrimmage play or special teams play that Brady had. But he had weapons like Gates and Tomlinson. Didn't matter. Got to have it drive and the team is in Rivers lap and he has to play hero ball. You don't Win games asking the QB to play hero ball and toss it to those great weapons you gave him as he gets beat up all day.
    And Chris Chambers, Vincent Jackson, and Malcom Floyd. Then later on he had Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry, Melvin Gordon (people can laugh all they want, but he was good from 2016-2018), Austin Ekeler, and an old Antonio Gates. After Marcus McNeill's career ended prematurely, and Kris Dielman was finished, the offensive lines in front of Rivers were absolute disasters. After that it was Jared Gaither, King Dunlap, Russell Okung (who was decent), and Trent Scott at left tackle. The right tackle spot was also never figured out, with Jeromey Clary hanging on much longer than he ever should have, followed by D.J. Fluker (drafted way too high and belonged at guard, where he was just OK), Joseph Barksdale, and Sam Tevi.

But, yeah, let's not consider the possibility of Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu at all because it has to be Brock Bowers or Malik Nabers. Lol.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

LOL

You know that in addition to being a dynamic playmaker that would be Herbert's best friend, Bowers is a fantastic blocker who would help the run game and protection right? 😊
      I like Bowers a lot. If they pick him I'll supporting it. I just think they should pick OL at #5.
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

And Chris Chambers, Vincent Jackson, and Malcom Floyd. Then later on he had Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry, Melvin Gordon (people can laugh all they want, but he was good from 2016-2018), Austin Ekeler, and an old Antonio Gates. After Marcus McNeill's career ended prematurely, and Kris Dielman was finished, the offensive lines in front of Rivers were absolute disasters. After that it was Jared Gaither, King Dunlap, Russell Okung (who was decent), and Trent Scott at left tackle. The right tackle spot was also never figured out, with Jeromey Clary hanging on much longer than he ever should have, followed by D.J. Fluker (drafted way too high and belonged at guard, where he was just OK), Joseph Barksdale, and Sam Tevi.

But, yeah, let's not consider the possibility of Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu at all because it has to be Brock Bowers or Malik Nabers. Lol.
        I would think if the Chargers draft Alt or Olu - maybe this is an area where you can trade back - get your OT and get more draft picks. And again, the Chargers have their LT so would have to hope Alt or Olu can move to RT

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Lock step with this post.
          Chargers have consistently built team with skill players and ignore continue to do the trenchwork. Why would we keep trying that formula? KC traded Tyreek Hill and invested in OL and then they win Superbowl the very next season with one of the best OL in the league. I thought this was a copy cat league. Who are we copying by drafting more skill player in Rd1. Telesco with Williams, Gordon, QJ. We just fired that philosophy.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I would think if the Chargers draft Alt or Olu - maybe this is an area where you can trade back - get your OT and get more draft picks. And again, the Chargers have their LT so would have to hope Alt or Olu can move to RT
            That's the only holdup with me. If one of them can play right tackle, or Slater is able to and agrees to it, I'm all in.

Not sure you can get either one of those tackles if there's even a team that agrees to a trade down. You'd probably have to stay in the top ten.

Comment

• Chargers8491
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2022
              • Send PM

I like Bowers a lot. If they pick him I'll supporting it. I just think they should pick OL at #5.
              I think most of us will be happy with the #5 pick no matter who it is as long as they don't go off the reservation with the pick...lol
              1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
              2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
              2b- #37 Jenkins DT
              3a- #66 Puni OT
              3b- #69 Sainristill CB
              4a- #105 Rice WR
              4b- #110 Lloyd RB
              5- #140 Green CB
              6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

They do need weapons.

Weapons can be found anywhere. Tyreek was a 5th Rd pick. Gates was UDFA. Allen was a 3rd Rd pick. Sproles was a 5th Rd pick. Ekeler a UDFA. How about Puka this year. RBs, TEs, WRs are everywhere to be found.

I don't think you find nearly as many great OL mid to later in drafts or UDFA. You got to spend premium picks for the dominate line of scrimmage players. That how I see it.

QJ, Palmer, Davis, Allen, and any free agent weapon they add. they will have players to get the ball to. Will they be able to run. Can the give Herbert a consistent clean pocket. Not if they trot out JAGs at RT and OC. Opponent will just game plan to attack those weak links. Put beat Edge on Pipkins side and then threaten blitz up the gut. And Justin is going to panic to get the ball out because he won't trust them. And probably doesn't want to get his ribs cracked again. Im not into watching that shit show anymore. I've seen it for decades.

I want them to dominate in the trenches and make the opponent quit. So that come 4th quarter, the ground game can march to victory formation.

You pass to score points and you run the ball to win.
                Yes, same with OL. There's numerous examples of dominant OL who were mid-late round picks. I think at #5 get the best football player available. We have needs at different positions.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Lock step with this post.
                  Chargers have consistently built team with skill players and ignore continue to do the trenchwork. Why would we keep trying that formula? KC traded Tyreek Hill and invested in OL and then they win Superbowl the very next season with one of the best OL in the league. I thought this was a copy cat league. Who are we copying by drafting more skill player in Rd1. Telesco with Williams, Gordon, QJ. We just fired that philosophy.
                  We've used 2 of our last 3 1st round picks on OL. Signed a big money FA center. Hardly ignoring OL.

We have largely ignored playmakers. QJ was supposed to be that but we haven't used a first on a playmaker since MW in 2017.

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

That's the only holdup with me. If one of them can play right tackle, or Slater is able to and agrees to it, I'm all in.

Not sure you can get either one of those tackles if there's even a team that agrees to a trade down. You'd probably have to stay in the top ten.
                    Slater absolutely can play the right side.
                    He played majority of his college snaps as a RT.
                    26 games started on that side.
                    Joe Alt is a Left Tackle. I could care less about the nitpicking that happens. You look to long you get it wrong. This kid will play for 15 seasons as a LT and will make multiple pro bowls.
                    I could care less if he has some growing pains on a few snaps. He will make the entire unit better. He has the pedigree, the attitude and work ethic.

This word generational gets thrown around way too much.
                    Videos of Joe Alt and so called online scouts saying he is a generational Left Tackle prospect.

So no matter what Chargers should be drafting a generational talent at #5. LOL. Man the hyperbole is out of control.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

We've used 2 of our last 3 1st round picks on OL. Signed a big money FA center. Hardly ignoring OL.
                      I think we need to continue drafting lineman every single year. What we need most is an oline coach who can get the young players to develop. The Pipkins injury is a wildcard that might force us the draft someone earlier than wanted.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Oh yes, from 5 - maybe the lowest I would want to go to is like 8. 10 would be too low -- unless somebody did the mother of all trades to move up

I am good sitting at 5 and seeing what happens

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think we need to continue drafting lineman every single year. What we need most is an oline coach who can get the young players to develop. The Pipkins injury is a wildcard that might force us the draft someone earlier than wanted.
                          Yes, like other positions. Mid-late rounds. Not every #1

Comment

Working...
                          X