• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

If LAC take Fuaga at, say, 11 and he DID NOT beat out Pip and he's the one riding pine - that is a complete fuck up of a draft. a complete total fuckintheface fail.
    The only way Fuaga can't beat out Plumpkins is if the Earth comes off its axis, exits the Sun's orbit, and heads into outerspace... because that will be a cold day in hell.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Sounds like a hip-hop song...

"Put Pip on the pine - it's just about time,
      Ya gotta run block on the offensive line,
      Ya gotta have game in the pass pro, too
      Or Herbie hits the deck 'cause the Edge broke thru..."

Someone finish this for me...
      Enter in Ta-lee-see - make it look so ee-see
      Putt'in hands on Maxx - no more silly sacks
      Holes up the middle - time to throw the ball
      Blitzes up the middle - Patty's curtain call

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

I'm not a big Pipkins fan. Having said that, a big assumption that everyone (including me) is making is that the new regime think Pipkins needs to be replaced. What if they think he can be "fixed" with better coaching and aren't planning on spending a high pick to replace him this year? This is more a devil's advocate type of a thought, but maybe they see something we don't. Or, maybe not and he is just an expensive swing tackle/extra linemen in short yardage.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

It’s not a good draft for TE. I would look for the best blocking TE at that point since Dissly is the only one on the roster.
          Well, there is one pretty amazing TE in this draft AND if you would've told me last year that we would be in position to draft him this year I wouldn't have believed it was possible, now that we have access to Bowers most everyone here is taking it for granted...why not just give Justin what Patrick has had all these years...as good as the TE class was last year, there is no way Bowers wouldn't have been the first one off the board in 2023...I don't think he makes it out of the top ten...plus I know that the next Keenan Allen or Puka Nacua is out there waiting to be drafted by us somewhere in the 3rd, 4rth or even the 5th round...but everyone here wants one of the top WRs at 5, that or an OT is what seems to be popular here on the forum...
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Sounds like a hip-hop song...

"Put Pip on the pine - it's just about time,
            Ya gotta run block on the offensive line,
            Ya gotta have game in the pass pro, too
            Or Herbie hits the deck 'cause the Edge broke thru..."

Someone finish this for me...
            Top slaying it again!, 21 brings it hard right behind - that sick, well done my OGs!

Hip Hop Dancing GIF
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Well, there is one pretty amazing TE in this draft AND if you would've told me last year that we would be in position to draft him this year I wouldn't have believed it was possible, now that we have access to Bowers most everyone here is taking it for granted...why not just give Justin what Patrick has had all these years...as good as the TE class was last year, there is no way Bowers wouldn't have been the first one off the board in 2023...I don't think he makes it out of the top ten...plus I know that the next Keenan Allen or Puka Nacua is out there waiting to be drafted by us somewhere in the 3rd, 4rth or even the 5th round...but everyone here wants one of the top WRs at 5, that or an OT is what seems to be popular here on the forum...
              I remember discussions last year about 2023 TEs and how Bowers next year slays them all but we’d never have a shot at him as he’s guarantee Top 10. All nods around the room.

now 2024 and he’s not worth a T10.

I see a few TE’s that may not be all pro best but are upgrades to the roster later in the draft. I’m fond of Theo Johnson - he looks like a blue collar Harbaugh kid inline with upside down the field. He lit up combine drills, a lot more athletic than I expected. Reiman is a latter Day3 flier, he’s got gorrila blood and will get after it.

But there is 1 Bowers. LAC can’t draft every elite player in a draft, there are lots of ways to improve the team. tbd if JH2 see this as more important than other elite options - I would not bet he is there at an 11 trade down.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                I'm not a big Pipkins fan. Having said that, a big assumption that everyone (including me) is making is that the new regime think Pipkins needs to be replaced. What if they think he can be "fixed" with better coaching and aren't planning on spending a high pick to replace him this year? This is more a devil's advocate type of a thought, but maybe they see something we don't. Or, maybe not and he is just an expensive swing tackle/extra linemen in short yardage.
                cutting or trading Pipkins after June 1st creates 6.5mil in cap space and like 2.5mil in dead cap, so what's another 2.5 mil when you already have 52mil in dead cap? it's not like the Chargers are stuck with Trey in 2024, if they want to continue to clean house they can afford to now that they've cleared up additional space...so if they keep him it could be a couple of reasons, they don't necessarily like the player but they don't want to create additional holes to fill OR maybe they think that they can work with him, only they will know which reason is the one if he stays...so keeping Trey is not necessarily an endorsement either...

BTW, besides moving Trey, there are still other small moves that are available to clear more cap, they can clear 5mil by restructuring Herbert and it doesn't hurt the team one bit, Herbert restructures are going to become a yearly deal anyways...they can still cut Morgan Fox and save 3.5mil, cutting our punter would save another 2.2mil and this draft features a couple of great punting prospects...so those three small moves can create an additional 12.2mil in cap space in 2024...I think Trey could have a small market after the draft if someone wants a player with starting experience and wasn't able to grab one of the OTs in the draft like they wanted...not sure what a team would give up for Trey but it would be 2025 or 2026 and low, like 6-7 rounder but it would clear up cap and open the door for a stud rookie tackle or perhaps someone already on the roster...
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

cutting or trading Pipkins after June 1st creates 6.5mil in cap space and like 2.5mil in dead cap, so what's another 2.5 mil when you already have 52mil in dead cap? it's not like the Chargers are stuck with Trey in 2024, if they want to continue to clean house they can afford to now that they've cleared up additional space...so if they keep him it could be a couple of reasons, they don't necessarily like the player but they don't want to create additional holes to fill OR maybe they think that they can work with him, only they will know which reason is the one if he stays...so keeping Trey is not necessarily an endorsement either...

BTW, besides moving Trey, there are still other small moves that are available to clear more cap, they can clear 5mil by restructuring Herbert and it doesn't hurt the team one bit, Herbert restructures are going to become a yearly deal anyways...they can still cut Morgan Fox and save 3.5mil, cutting our punter would save another 2.2mil and this draft features a couple of great punting prospects...so those three small moves can create an additional 12.2mil in cap space in 2024...I think Trey could have a small market after the draft if someone wants a player with starting experience and wasn't able to grab one of the OTs in the draft like they wanted...not sure what a team would give up for Trey but it would be 2025 or 2026 and low, like 6-7 rounder but it would clear up cap and open the door for a stud rookie tackle or perhaps someone already on the roster...
                  They are not cutting Trey. Have you seen the backup roster behind him? Do you remember when Sarrell briefly came in at OT last year? I thought TPB wanted Joe to build more depth? nah - I’d bet against it.

I would ditch our punter though - with you there. Bring a half dozen UDFA punters into camp that kicked in college and you’ll find one thats better, guaranteed. Fox - idunno what they see as the plan with him. He’s not a lot $.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Not at all. Plumpkins shouldn't have been re-signed in the 1st place. Fuaga is the superior run blocker. Unlike Plumpkins, it won't take him 3 years to surpass the likes of Trent Scott, Sam Tevi, and Storm Norton. We were used to sub-par RT's... so elated when Trey finally became mediocre. But the new regime expects more.

And no... QJ and JP will not be asked to sit.
                    Hortiz hopes JP returns to 72 catches... and fetches him a 3rd or 4th round comp pick when he leaves.
                    Harbaugh hopes QJ breaks opponent's will... like he did to Jim's Wolverines in 2022. I don't see QJ on the bench either.
                    I see a quality depth WR in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Maybe Jim's old buddy Roman Wilson slips to the 3rd in a stacked WR class. Maybe he chooses Jerry Rice's son in the 4th. Maybe it's Ainias Smith in the 5th. They are convinced that a quality WR will be available after post-draft cuts.

I prefer Plumpkins as the swing tackle to Foster Sarrell. When they cut Trey after the season (and save $6.75m)... I will be interested to see which future comp picks they bring in to replace his roster spot. Will it be 2 FA's...? Will it be 3...?
                    JP has proven himself to be a nice #3 receiver, with trouble staying on the field.

With no other competition for catches other than butter fingers, 72 catches is very doable;
                    hell, Seyi Ajirotutu could have caught 72 passes from Rivers with such receiving options.

Is it helping your team?

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      Many have tried to fix Pip. All have failed. Moving on.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They are not cutting Trey. Have you seen the backup roster behind him? Do you remember when Sarrell briefly came in at OT last year? I thought TPB wanted Joe to build more depth? nah - I’d bet against it.

I would ditch our punter though - with you there. Bring a half dozen UDFA punters into camp that kicked in college and you’ll find one thats better, guaranteed. Fox - idunno what they see as the plan with him. He’s not a lot $.
                        I've been telling boltnut not to get too mad when they roll with Trey, primarily because of all the holes that they already have, but if there is anything these guys have proven very early on is that they are not going to be deterred from doing anything that they feel helps them create their vision going forward...I'm not saying they are moving Trey OR keeping him, but I think it could go either way after what happened with Keenan...would not be surprised if they drafted a OT, or if they kept Trey, or if they did both...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

The Bolts do have an out on Pip's deal after 2024:

image.png

Comment

Working...
                          X