• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
    But he can't replace Mathews as the bell-cow. Or at least the record doesn't support that. I agree that adding D. Brown helps us as you state (I like his ability and smarts) but if we're going to grind out drives again and consume clock then we'll need Mathews able to go. He's the key guy to our running game. Mathews gets yards when they aren't there. I saw that a lot last season. This is why I prefer we look at another bell-cow type RB in the draft that can handle 20+ carries per game. We only have one of those right now on the roster.
    Id have prefered Gerhart but Brown was the second best choice....for me anyways. I think they signed for the same money.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      First, how big is Brown really? They typically don't update the players size on the team web pages. Remember, Jamal, who was probably playing close to 400 lbs, then 300lbs his last season as a 43DT was listed as being 305 lbs. But I can recall seeing the Cowboys OL, who everyone said was huge and going to beat our DL into a pulp, looked tiny compared to Jamal. Then, when the upcry arose about Jamal being too small, the Chargers then changed the web page to list him as 6'3" and 340lbs, and everyone shut up. Just saying, Brown might have put on some bulk since he was a rookie, and it wouldn't necessarily be listed. He looks like he is more muscular to me, although I agree, he is not a bruiser.

2nd, I think you need to look at skills, more then just body build. The big thing we lacked when Mathews went out was the lack of an outside speed. Our big play in the running game is the outside zone play. We run a lot of inside zone and counters to set it up, but we need a back that can get to the corner and stretch the D. We really, really missed that when Mathews was out. We got by, but I think Brown really fits the overall need. I would like a more powerful, inside runner to go along, but without a couple of blocking TE and/or FB to lengthen the line, we just end up allowing the D to pinch in and stop our running game.
      Jamal was listed as 349 lbs on our roster. 305 his early seasons when we ran a 4-3.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

NFL announces 30 players will attend the draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 22, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT

More players than ever before will attend this year’s NFL draft.

The league announced today that 30 prospects have confirmed they will attend, the most ever. That includes four quarterbacks —Blake Bortles (Central Florida), Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville), Jimmy Garoppolo (Eastern Illinois) and Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M) — as well as top prospects like South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack, Auburn tackle Greg Robinson and Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins. (It’s a sign of the times that no running backs were among the 30 players invited.)

The other players confirmed to attend this year’s NFL Draft: LSU receiver Odell Beckham, Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Oregon State receiver Brandin Cooks, Missouri defensive end Kony Ealy, North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron, Texas A&M receiver Mike Evans, Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller, Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert, Minnesota defensive tackle Ra’Shede Hageman, Florida State defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan, Alabama tackle Cyrus Kouandjio, Indiana receiver Cody Latimer, USC receiver Marqise Lee, Michigan tackle Taylor Lewan, Texas A&M tackle Jake Matthews, Vanderbilt receiver Jordan Matthews, Virginia tackle Morgan Moses, Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley, Louisville safety Calvin Pryor, Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby, Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier and Texas Christian cornerback Jason Verrett.

Bringing more players to the draft gives the NFL more opportunities to promote its stars of the future, but it also makes it more likely that several players will go through the awkward experience of remaining in the “green room” throughout the first round and into the second or third round. It’s even possible that a player among the 30 invited could drop all the way to Day Three of the draft.

But most of the players invited will hear Roger Goodell call their names during the first round. And as the NFL continues to grow the draft into not just the league’s biggest offseason event but one of the major parts of the sports year, more players than ever before will be there.

I hope all 30 go in round one, and none to us...
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

The only problem I have with Bryant is that he drops a lot of passes. But how much of that is due to not having a really accurate QB? Tajh Boyd is really not consistently accurate.

I would take Bryant as a middle or late round flyer. Good speed and incredibly athletic. Just needs to improve his hands.
          Boom or bust type, you're right Very athletic , 4.42 forty. At 6'4". 211.....he'll be gone by the third round

Not too bright, academic issues in high school and at Clemson
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
            NFL announces 30 players will attend the draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 22, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT

More players than ever before will attend this year’s NFL draft.

The league announced today that 30 prospects have confirmed they will attend, the most ever. That includes four quarterbacks —Blake Bortles (Central Florida), Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville), Jimmy Garoppolo (Eastern Illinois) and Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M) — as well as top prospects like South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack, Auburn tackle Greg Robinson and Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins. (It’s a sign of the times that no running backs were among the 30 players invited.)

The other players confirmed to attend this year’s NFL Draft: LSU receiver Odell Beckham, Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Oregon State receiver Brandin Cooks, Missouri defensive end Kony Ealy, North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron, Texas A&M receiver Mike Evans, Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller, Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert, Minnesota defensive tackle Ra’Shede Hageman, Florida State defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan, Alabama tackle Cyrus Kouandjio, Indiana receiver Cody Latimer, USC receiver Marqise Lee, Michigan tackle Taylor Lewan, Texas A&M tackle Jake Matthews, Vanderbilt receiver Jordan Matthews, Virginia tackle Morgan Moses, Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley, Louisville safety Calvin Pryor, Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby, Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier and Texas Christian cornerback Jason Verrett.

Bringing more players to the draft gives the NFL more opportunities to promote its stars of the future, but it also makes it more likely that several players will go through the awkward experience of remaining in the “green room” throughout the first round and into the second or third round. It’s even possible that a player among the 30 invited could drop all the way to Day Three of the draft.

But most of the players invited will hear Roger Goodell call their names during the first round. And as the NFL continues to grow the draft into not just the league’s biggest offseason event but one of the major parts of the sports year, more players than ever before will be there.

I hope all 30 go in round one, and none to us...
            So who gets to sit there all night on Thursday and not get picked?

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Cody Latimer? This year's shooting star.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                Cody Latimer? This year's shooting star.
                Could be......uh oh don't tell Yuba Verrett got an invite

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  Jamal was listed as 349 lbs on our roster. 305 his early seasons when we ran a 4-3.
                  The point is they didn't update his weight until people started to complain he was too small. They just put up what they have and leave it. Just because it is on the site, doesn't mean it is current.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                    So who gets to sit there all night on Thursday and not get picked?
                    There will be plenty of company. Predicting at least 5 guys are sitting there.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Missery loves company...
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                        Id have prefered Gerhart but Brown was the second best choice....for me anyways. I think they signed for the same money.
                        For me at least, it all would make sense if we come away with a Gerhart type back from the draft.
                        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

The only problem I have with Bryant is that he drops a lot of passes. But how much of that is due to not having a really accurate QB? Tajh Boyd is really not consistently accurate.

I would take Bryant as a middle or late round flyer. Good speed and incredibly athletic. Just needs to improve his hands.

Thanks Steve. There's nothing worse for a WR than no hands! Next.
                          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

Working...
                          X