• Show
Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Committing so much of your success on the draft almost demands that you just nail the draft...every year. Not literally, of course; but you can't be doing the Davis-Florence-Kiel thing; or the Cason-Hester thing; or the English-Martin thing.

Or you can go after a blue-chipper like Byrd (SS) or Raji (NT) and lock up one position of DIRE need in Free Agency. And supplement that with some depth signings.

And then draft well.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

One position we can not fill in the draft is NT. It just takes too much time to develope physicaly and mentaly. This is a position you develope even when they are top draft picks. Raji make allot of sence for winning now.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• blahblahblah
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by zoom View Post
        Cox is here next year. 2.3 mill Cap hit with 8.1 million in dead money. It's very frustrating, but I don't see him going anywhere until '15.
        As I understand it (and I could be wrong) Cox's contract doesn't become guaranteed until March.

His signing bonus was $5.2M. $3.9M will be left next year. He has received no other bonus money yet.

Unless his contract next year is guaranteed no matter what, he will not result in $8.1M in dead money.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post
          As I understand it (and I could be wrong) Cox's contract doesn't become guaranteed until March.

His signing bonus was $5.2M. $3.9M will be left next year. He has received no other bonus money yet.

Unless his contract next year is guaranteed no matter what, he will not result in $8.1M in dead money.
          I agree with this. He wont be here next year.

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
            One position we cannot fill in the draft is NT. It just takes too much time to develop physically and mentally. This is a position you develop even when they are top draft picks. Raji make allot of sense for winning now.
            I agree.

So do 31 other teams (except maybe the Ravens), I'm sure. Good luck outbidding all of them!
            Last edited by Panama; 11-26-2013, 06:46 AM.
            Adipose

Comment

• zoom
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              I agree with this. He wont be here next year.
              Just saw the UT article. I was using 'Over The Cap' and didn't realize the parameters and options of cutting him loose.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by zoom View Post
                Just saw the UT article. I was using 'Over The Cap' and didn't realize the parameters and options of cutting him loose.
                How strange. A bit of misinformation and/or misunderstanding from cap numbers posted on the Internet.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Chargers would currently draft 13, behind Pittsburgh and Baltimore and ahead of Jets and Tennessee. Houston is on the clock.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                    I agree.

So do 31 other teams (except maybe the Ravens), I'm sure. Good luck outbidding all of them!
                    Here's a great example of putting up or shutting up (and I'm talking about the Chargers' commitment to winning). The guy - Raji - is 27 years old; arguably at the top of his game. Other than - maybe - SS, I can't think of another position of greater need on this team. A guy like Raji would make THREE positions on the DL better, instantly. You could even make a case for him helping out Te'o, Butler (if he sticks around), the pass rush and, ultimately, the DBs.

Maybe that's a stretch to think that ONE GUY could make that big an impact, but it's a plausible notion, IMO. And, if so...then why would you NOT go after him?

You add Raji, you have Ingram coming back. JJ and Freeney can be value-added vets (already under contract). You have a 'rookie' CB, Steve Williams with some promise. You move Gilchrist back to what you all tell me is a better spot for him (nickle). Guys like Kaiser, Lissimore, even Thomas (or Gaethers), provide depth.

AND YOU STILL HAVE THE DRAFT! You can go after the draft's top SS (probably) with your first choice. The defense has just be "re-tooled". LOL! Sure, you dumped HUGE bucks on one guy, but...look at the potential dividends.

You can 're-tool' the other side of the ball with the rest of the draft. Done.

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Opera singer and web developer.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                      Here's a great example of putting up or shutting up (and I'm talking about the Chargers' commitment to winning). The guy - Raji - is 27 years old; arguably at the top of his game. Other than - maybe - SS, I can't think of another position of greater need on this team. A guy like Raji would make THREE positions on the DL better, instantly. You could even make a case for him helping out Te'o, Butler (if he sticks around), the pass rush and, ultimately, the DBs.

Maybe that's a stretch to think that ONE GUY could make that big an impact, but it's a plausible notion, IMO. And, if so...then why would you NOT go after him?

You add Raji, you have Ingram coming back. JJ and Freeney can be value-added vets (already under contract). You have a 'rookie' CB, Steve Williams with some promise. You move Gilchrist back to what you all tell me is a better spot for him (nickle). Guys like Kaiser, Lissimore, even Thomas (or Gaethers), provide depth.

AND YOU STILL HAVE THE DRAFT! You can go after the draft's top SS (probably) with your first choice. The defense has just be "re-tooled". LOL! Sure, you dumped HUGE bucks on one guy, but...look at the potential dividends.

You can 're-tool' the other side of the ball with the rest of the draft. Done.
                      Absolutely. Agree with everything you said in that post.

But for those same reasons, every team in the league that has need at NT (and that's more than just us) will be interested in Raji. If we get into a bidding war with another team, do you see us winning?
                      Adipose

Comment

• OhioBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        One position we can not fill in the draft is NT. It just takes too much time to develope physicaly and mentaly. This is a position you develope even when they are top draft picks. Raji make allot of sence for winning now.
                        You will have to pay the price for him he turned down 8 million, obvious this team been burnt by Big money Free-Agency signings, and they will be very leary of dishing out big money. The Gaither signing was risky, the Meachum sighning was questionable in terms of the money given period Meachum was never a pro bowler or double digits in touchdowns. Derrick Cox was viewed as a good corner who had injury riddle career and only played one whole season and played well. Raji is young, but once he gets the money will he stay motivated. Some of the locals in Green Bay like to have him back, but are willing to move on without him.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

As long as we a get an OLT, OLB, CB, RB, OG, NT and SS in the first three rounds, I'll be happy.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X