• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

They traded for TRich because they wanted a more physical running back for their power scheme. Brown is not a banger, he's more like Jamal Charles than the Bus. Clearly he's not at that level, but you get my point. He should excel in our zone rushing scheme and give us a bit more explosion out of the backfield.

Comment

• Yubaking
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
      semi-deflating logo:
      Poor Rams. Only getting slotted to pick second with the pick of a 2012 playoff team that comes as part of a ridiculous trade up to get a player that may not quite be the player many believed him to be. And they will be so unlucky when a lightning bolt doesn't strike the Texans' draft pick runner dead as he walks up to the podium with their #1 overall pick. I think their fans should complain some more when that doesn't happen.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
        If you are maintaining that Luck's presence is the reason for Brown's lack of carries then to what do you attribute Brown's 2011 season totals? The QB triumvirate of Painter/Orlovsky/Collins was not productive and yet Brown still only had 134 carries. That was a bump of five carries over his previous season with manning as QB. He did have his best ypc average that year (2011) but still only 645 yards over 16 games played. That was with three QB's that wouldn't take carries away from anyone.

And does it ring any alarm bells with anyone that the Colts did make that desperate trade for Richardson last season? They gave Cleveland a first round pick while they still had Brown. Why would they do that if they were fine with Brown's work (quantity and quality) or expectations thereof?
        Those QBs had so much trouble running their offense, they couldn't keep possession long enough to generate the pass or the run.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          They traded for TRich because they wanted a more physical running back for their power scheme. Brown is not a banger, he's more like Jamal Charles than the Bus. Clearly he's not at that level, but you get my point. He should excel in our zone rushing scheme and give us a bit more explosion out of the backfield.

But he can't replace Mathews as the bell-cow. Or at least the record doesn't support that. I agree that adding D. Brown helps us as you state (I like his ability and smarts) but if we're going to grind out drives again and consume clock then we'll need Mathews able to go. He's the key guy to our running game. Mathews gets yards when they aren't there. I saw that a lot last season. This is why I prefer we look at another bell-cow type RB in the draft that can handle 20+ carries per game. We only have one of those right now on the roster.
          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
            Those QBs had so much trouble running their offense, they couldn't keep possession long enough to generate the pass or the run.
            That wasn't it. The Colts had two other RB's with a flagging Addai and someone named Delone Carter also with 100+ carries that year.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
              But he can't replace Mathews as the bell-cow. Or at least the record doesn't support that. I agree that adding D. Brown helps us as you state (I like his ability and smarts) but if we're going to grind out drives again and consume clock then we'll need Mathews able to go. He's the key guy to our running game. Mathews gets yards when they aren't there. I saw that a lot last season. This is why I prefer we look at another bell-cow type RB in the draft that can handle 20+ carries per game. We only have one of those right now on the roster.
              I disagree. He can easily replace Matthews as an every down runner if needed. That Indy didn't use him as such is their issue, not ours. He was clearly their most effective runner last year, but they were too stubborn to realize it.

Comment

• Originally posted by alex View Post
                We already have 4 running backs on the roster. I doubt we would make it 5.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                  I disagree. He can easily replace Matthews as an every down runner if needed. That Indy didn't use him as such is their issue, not ours. He was clearly their most effective runner last year, but they were too stubborn to realize it.

Five years with Brown and they never saw him as a bell-cow type RB. Maybe you're right. But that seems like a big gamble based on his history.

Comment

• Originally posted by alex View Post
                    Five years with Brown and they never saw him as a bell-cow type RB. Maybe you're right. But that seems like a big gamble based on his history.
                    The coach may not have seen him that way, but they thought enough of him to draft him in the first round.

2009 NFL Draft: Brown was considered one of the top three running back prospects available in the draft (alongside Knowshon Moreno and Chris Wells) and drew comparisons to Willie Parker. He was drafted with the 27th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts. Brown became the first Connecticut Husky ever to be picked in the first round of an NFL Draft.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                      We already have 4 running backs on the roster. I doubt we would make it 5.

If David Johnson could run I'd be fine with him as that #4 guy considering our group. I like that he's young and for blockers that seems like a good thing but if West is around at our 3rd round pick I really hope we take him and use him as blocker for now.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Teams use 3rd round picks on starting RBs, not 4th string guys. That will be an option more than likely next draft if Matthews is allowed to walk. There is no need to bring in a RB to sit on the bench anymore. Next year's draft class is also much better than this one.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

First, how big is Brown really? They typically don't update the players size on the team web pages. Remember, Jamal, who was probably playing close to 400 lbs, then 300lbs his last season as a 43DT was listed as being 305 lbs. But I can recall seeing the Cowboys OL, who everyone said was huge and going to beat our DL into a pulp, looked tiny compared to Jamal. Then, when the upcry arose about Jamal being too small, the Chargers then changed the web page to list him as 6'3" and 340lbs, and everyone shut up. Just saying, Brown might have put on some bulk since he was a rookie, and it wouldn't necessarily be listed. He looks like he is more muscular to me, although I agree, he is not a bruiser.

2nd, I think you need to look at skills, more then just body build. The big thing we lacked when Mathews went out was the lack of an outside speed. Our big play in the running game is the outside zone play. We run a lot of inside zone and counters to set it up, but we need a back that can get to the corner and stretch the D. We really, really missed that when Mathews was out. We got by, but I think Brown really fits the overall need. I would like a more powerful, inside runner to go along, but without a couple of blocking TE and/or FB to lengthen the line, we just end up allowing the D to pinch in and stop our running game.

Comment

Working...
                          X