Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Comment

• boldarblood
      Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Rivers would be hard to trade, depending on his view of playing in Los Angeles. We do know that Rivers would prefer to be as close to San Diego as possible for family reasons. He has 3 years left on a No Trade Clause contract - so he has to approve location. And at least for next 2 years he is cheaper to retain than release (dead cap). That does not leave a lot of teams that are close enough and would need his services. I am guessing he would want to go to a more competitive team this late in his career.

LV Raiders - not going to happen - Derek Carr

LA Rams - not going to happen - Jared Goff

SF 49ers - need a QB, but they are a worse team than us over all. 2-14 team, not ready to win. They do have #2 pick in draft - though I believe they might snag Solomon Thomas. Blaine Gabbert could get the start.

Az Cardinals - This is one possible location - would Az make a deal with us? They have 13th, 45th, 77th and 120th picks. They could draft a QB to.

Who knows, maybe he extends the range of teams he'd play for. My guess is he stays put, and is our starting QB for minimum next 3 years.

Though I do believe you should draft a QB every single year, eventually one could stick. But I would not expect us to find our next starting QB with Rivers here for next 3 years, rookie contracts are only 4 years. You then get stuck in that weird position of having a QB you don't know much about, yet he wants to get paid the big bucks for 2nd contract (see Osweiler).

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Rivers would conceivably approve a trade to a contender.

Comment

• mikec
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
          The Spanii family motto is "Stupid are us."
          Stultus est sicut stultus facit

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
            Rivers would conceivably approve a trade to a contender.
            I think his family is number one and why he got a no trade clause so I don't agree.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              I think his family is number one and why he got a no trade clause so I don't agree.
              He might for a chance at a ring. Surely he realizes it would never happen in LA and he's at the end of his career anyway. The real question is whether the Chargers would even consider it and I don't think they would.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

If they find someone with the tools to develop into a starting QB down the road, fine. The problem I have is so many QB don't seem to be that good, even if given a chance to develop, then is every draft prospect worth even taking? I can see a lot of the guys in this draft class never developing into anything more than backup material. Clemens is a solid backup, which just goes to show the drop-off between starters and backups. Just because a guy is liked by a draft guru as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, .... best, doesn't mean he is good enough to be a starting QB.

Even if we get a QB, the idea of trading Rivers is not a thing we can even consider for a year or two. Even if the QB have what it takes in terms of human material, they are not anywhere close to being ready to step on the field. IF we had a good receiving corp and a top OL (I think we do have a top RB), then maybe we could cover up Watson's problems and pull a Prescott. But even Prescott has weaknesses as a passer. He has never had to stand in, play after play and impose his will throwing the ball against a good D that knows it is coming. He has always been able to mix run and pass, and just be efficient, take what the defense gives. We don't have the offense to put around a young QB to do that.

As far as Rivers goes, I think there is a better chance of him retiring then going onto another team, contender or not.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                  Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                  • Send PM

Rivers has 2-4 years left. I have no problem brining in a later round prospect to develop but see no point in spending a high pick. Rivers won't be traded and it will be very hard for a young QB to win his starting job on merit. There are 32 teams and only about 10 have really good QB's. Ride Philip till the wheels come off and hope to find a late round gem to polish.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Clemens isn't a solid backup. He is barely a step up from Whitehurst. They can do better there but I guess they figure the backup will never get in a game anyways.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-30-2017, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Clemens isn't a solid backup. He is barely a step up from Whitehurst. They can do better there but I guess they figure the backup will never get in a game anyways.
                      Let's be real - there are not 32 quality QBs in the league. There are at least a dozen teams with really bad QBs and another dozen with mediocre to average QBs. There is just no way a quality veteran QB is going to be willing to take a backup job when there is so little talent at this position on so many teams. CBJ and Clemens are not and will never be QBs. But what veteran backup is? If your backup is in the game you'd better have a D like the Broncos because you just are not going to do anything on offense.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        Let's be real - there are not 32 quality QBs in the league. There are at least a dozen teams with really bad QBs and another dozen with mediocre to average QBs. There is just no way a quality veteran QB is going to be willing to take a backup job when there is so little talent at this position on so many teams. CBJ and Clemens are not and will never be QBs. But what veteran backup is? If your backup is in the game you'd better have a D like the Broncos because you just are not going to do anything on offense.
                        The fact remains there a better back ups out there to get that Clemens. Hell it looks like Matt Barkley is already a better backup than Clemons and he was available. I'd even take Chase Daniel over Clemens and he just signed and was available. Clemens is horrible.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-30-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                          Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                          • Send PM

The fact remains there a better back ups out there to get that Clemens. Hell it looks like Matt Barkley is already a better backup than Clemons and he was available. I'd even take Chase Daniel over Clemens and he just signed and was available. Clemens is horrible.
                          Clemens has 21 starts in the NFL, Barkley has had 6 and Clemens has a higher career rating. If we have to go more than a few games with either we are screwed but Clemens at least won't be a deer in the headlights with 11 years of experience. We need to keep Rivers healthy and ride him till he is done

Comment

Working...
                          X