• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

There are enough good players left that I don't see a real need for teams to jump on an OL early.

So no trade down, we'll get a guy we can use and probably an OL.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
      Gotcha....couldn't resist the opportunity to bust on you, though.
      Thanks Mav
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Who covers these guys for us? Kevin King would make a nice little TE killer. Maybe even Obi. Need a bigger DB.

Julius Thomas
        Travis Kelce
        Zach Ertz
        Evan Engram
        Jared Cook
        Rob Gronkowski
        Jason Witten
        David Njoku
        Jordan Reed
        Travis Kelce
        Jared Cook

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          Who covers these guys for us? Kevin King would make a nice little TE killer. Maybe even Obi. Need a bigger DB.

Julius Thomas
          Travis Kelce
          Zach Ertz
          Evan Engram
          Jared Cook
          Rob Gronkowski
          Jason Witten
          David Njoku
          Jordan Reed
          Travis Kelce
          Jared Cook
          Covering the TE has been a Bolt's weakness forever.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
            Charlie Casserly on the NFL Network just had the Chargers taking Forrest Lamp in the second.

Would not be disappointed in that
            So let it be written...

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Chargers trying to move into top spot of 2nd round.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

No, no, no, no, no!!!!!

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 12m12 minutes ago
                Chargers, Jets and Buccaneers amongst the teams calling Packers, interesting in trading up for top pick in second round, per source.

Comment

• pigskin
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Southern Oregon
                  • Send PM

If its for Lamp I'm all for it, if its for a QB then HELL NO

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Watch, it's for Jourdan Lewis. Don't get me wrong--nice and ascending addition esp for slot, but just another shrimp bc TT can't help himself.

Comment

• Rugger05
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Looks likes Fleet favorite site is saying they are trying to trade up for Lamp

Quick thoughts on Mike Williams: Fine player. Good player, even. But it feels like a bit of a reach due to the depth of the class. Sorta feels like Gordon all over again where you can do better in the 1st while getting the same position with better value later. That said, staying at 7 felt like the team was in no mans land. I also think play-makers win games and that is what Williams can be. He's proven it against the best teams at the biggest moments.

As for why he was the pick? The team doesn't trust Keenan Allen to be healthy. At all. That's fair. 4 of his last 5 seasons have come to an end due to injury. So you're looking at a roster with Williams as the best receiver. Go back to last year and what did the team struggle with? Not only getting open but contested catches and tipped passes. 2 things Williams excels at. When a defender is on his hip, Wililams is most comfortable. He thrives in contested situations. In that regard, the pick makes sense. We'll talk about him more next week.

In yesterday's rumor post, I mentioned a "mystery player." It was Garrett Bolles. Up until mid morning yesterday, that was the pick. They were going to bring him in and he was going to play right tackle. But then I was told the general manager had a change of heart. Apparently Bolles is a complete knucklehead and a headcase, for lack of a better term. I guess he's in to a bunch of weird stuff, even gang stuff. I don't know. It's complicated and that made them sour on Bolles yesterday morning.

I would rather reach for a receiver who can score touchdowns and have a bigger impact, personally. I worked with Duke Manyweather for Bleacher Report this past season and he consults with teams in the NFL on offensive line and has coached the position in college. He said Bolles technique and mechanics concern him. He mentioned his hands were often off target and it allowed defenders to get in his frame. He also mentioned Bolles will struggle early due to playing with poor pad level. Manyweather believes Bolles has top 20 traits but has a ways to go and will need some seasoning to iron things out.

As for today. It'll be fun. Going into yesterday the initial plan was doubling down on offensive line. Expect an offensive lineman with the first pick. This is going to surprise you but the Chargers are thinking about trading up in the 2nd round. The target would be Forrest Lamp. Lamp is a hell of a player. I had him as the 5th best player in the draft. He really is that good. So getting him at this point of the draft is incredible value. The worry is the Seahawks are going to take him and that's where the thought process to trade up is coming from.

Some people are saying the Packers, at 33, are going to take a guard but I'm told they're all in on Joe Mixon. They want to keep moving back and collecting picks hoping to "weather the storm" and hope he "gets lost in the shuffle" as they acquire multiple picks.

The Vikings are rumored to be wanting jump up from 48 as well. So the Chargers might be outbid by them or another team. Going off the draft trade value chart the Chargers can trade up by giving up their 4th. A better deal would be if they swapped their 4th with another late round pick of the Packers. Again, the deal might not go through just because of a richer offer from another team. But trading up is a very real and strong option.

If the team decides to stay put and Lamp goes earlier, OG Dan Feeney from Indiana is the top target. Coincidentally, I have Feeney 1 spot below Williams on my top 100. Feeney is a good, safe 2nd round pick that should be able to contribute right away. Feeney is a good competitor that is a very good athlete. The goal is to protect the QB and over the last 3 years Feeney allowed only 2 sacks. He's not a mauler but he sticks on guys in the run game.

I have Feeney as the #3 guard behind Lamp and Western Michigan's Taylor Moton, who our Michael Peterson wrote about last month. Moton is also a target as is Connecticut safety Obi Melifonwu in the 2nd. These seem to be the pool of players we can expect to be a Charger tonight.

As for some of "my guys", there is legit interest in Budda Baker. I wonder if the NFL is leery of his size and he keeps falling. That'd be awesome. I'm trying to see what the interest in Alabama's tackle Cam Robinson is as well as Michigan State's Malik Mcdowell, who we all know I love. I'll try to check back in before the draft to see if there's any new nuggets I can share.

UPDATE - There have been some rumors swirling on twitter that the Chargers are interested in Notre Dame QB Deshone Kizer. Those who are reporting that are puppets. I have not heard his name at all. I would be very surprised if Kizer was the pick at 38. This is just an attempt for teams to trade up in front of them and push the players the team is targeting down.

Expect a lineman and a safety to be the picks today.

How would you feel about the targets listed? Is there anyone else you think the Chargers should keep an eye on?

More From Bolts From The Blue

PODCAST: Round 1 Recap Of The NFL Draft
                      Chargers Made the Most Logical Decision
                      Quick Take: My Thoughts on the Chargers Drafting Mike Williams
                      Best Options for the Los Angeles Chargers at 38
                      Will the Chargers Trade Up in Round 2?
                      Los Angeles Chargers Daily Links: Twitter Reacts to Mike Williams Selection

TRENDING

The Best Available Players in the 2nd Round of the 2017 NFL Draft

Best Options for the Los Angeles Chargers at 38
                      Here is Your Feel-Good Sports Moment of the Day
                      Paid Content FromJCPenney Corporation
                      Here is Your Feel-Good Sports Moment of the Day
                      FIND TICKETS

Los Angeles area events happening soon:

FRI
                      Apr 28
                      Philadelphia Phillies @ Los Angeles Dodgers
                      7:10 PM - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
                      3,583 tickets available
                      SAT
                      Apr 29
                      Philadelphia Phillies @ Los Angeles Dodgers
                      6:10 PM - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
                      6,900 tickets available
                      SEE FULL SCHEDULE
                      From our sponsor

TEAM SHOP

LaDainian Tomlinson San Diego Chargers Mitchell & Ness 2006 Replica Retired Player Jersey - Navy
                      $149.99 BUY NOW

Lance Alworth San Diego Chargers Mitchell & Ness 1963 Retired Player Vintage Replica Jersey – Powder Blue
                      $149.99 BUY NOW

LaDainian Tomlinson San Diego Chargers Nike Retired Player Game Jersey - Navy
                      $99.99

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Would not be uspet with Akhello Witherspoon or Kevin King. Both these guys are passes defesned monsters with FS versatility. You want cover 3 type guys these are them.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                          Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                          Chargers trying to move into top spot of 2nd round.
                          Now look at 2nd rounders visited. Lamp, Dawkins, K King Josh Jones + Kizer, Dobbs were visits. 2nd rounder never visits unless a trade up

Comment

Working...
                          X