• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Lamp or King would be nice. But Josh Jones is a beast. SS/FS/OLB and covers the boundary. Thats a guy that can cover TE's for us.

Lamp
    King
    Obi
    Jones

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Please not a QB!!!
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

5 players listed for top of 2nd as trade up targets. And Lamp isn't one of them.

Report: Chargers, Jets, Bucs among teams calling about No. 33
        Posted by Josh Alper on April 28, 2017, 5:35 PM EDT
        Getty Images

The Packers said they are open for business when it came to trade discussions involving the No. 33 pick and their baiting of the hook appears to be getting some nibbles.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Chargers, Jets and Buccaneers are among the teams calling the Packers about making a deal for that pick.

There’s no word on which players those teams may be interested in acquiring if they did move up. There was a report earlier on Friday that the Packers were considering taking Notre Dame quarterback DeShone Kizer if they stay put, which doesn’t feel particularly likely but both the Chargers and Jets spent time with Kizer during the pre-draft process.

Alabama tackle Cam Robinson, Florida State running back Dalvin Cook, Washington cornerback Kevin King and Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon are other players that may be of interest at the top of the second round.

The Chargers have the 38th overall pick with the Jets one spot behind them and the Buccaneers currently scheduled to pick 50th overall. Should they miss out on a deal with the Packers, the Seahawks are set to pick 34th with the Jaguars and Bears following them in the draft order.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
          Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
          • Send PM

I'm happy with every non-QB on there. The wild card here is the guys who shouldn't be here like McDowell and Robinson

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Telesco stresses me out. He has this insatiable appetite to trade up. Have any of those picks panned out? If he does it for Dobbs ill kill him.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
              Looks likes Fleet favorite site is saying they are trying to trade up for Lamp

Quick thoughts on Mike Williams: Fine player. Good player, even. But it feels like a bit of a reach due to the depth of the class. Sorta feels like Gordon all over again where you can do better in the 1st while getting the same position with better value later. That said, staying at 7 felt like the team was in no mans land. I also think play-makers win games and that is what Williams can be. He's proven it against the best teams at the biggest moments.

As for why he was the pick? The team doesn't trust Keenan Allen to be healthy. At all. That's fair. 4 of his last 5 seasons have come to an end due to injury. So you're looking at a roster with Williams as the best receiver. Go back to last year and what did the team struggle with? Not only getting open but contested catches and tipped passes. 2 things Williams excels at. When a defender is on his hip, Wililams is most comfortable. He thrives in contested situations. In that regard, the pick makes sense. We'll talk about him more next week.

In yesterday's rumor post, I mentioned a "mystery player." It was Garrett Bolles. Up until mid morning yesterday, that was the pick. They were going to bring him in and he was going to play right tackle. But then I was told the general manager had a change of heart. Apparently Bolles is a complete knucklehead and a headcase, for lack of a better term. I guess he's in to a bunch of weird stuff, even gang stuff. I don't know. It's complicated and that made them sour on Bolles yesterday morning.

I would rather reach for a receiver who can score touchdowns and have a bigger impact, personally. I worked with Duke Manyweather for Bleacher Report this past season and he consults with teams in the NFL on offensive line and has coached the position in college. He said Bolles technique and mechanics concern him. He mentioned his hands were often off target and it allowed defenders to get in his frame. He also mentioned Bolles will struggle early due to playing with poor pad level. Manyweather believes Bolles has top 20 traits but has a ways to go and will need some seasoning to iron things out.

As for today. It'll be fun. Going into yesterday the initial plan was doubling down on offensive line. Expect an offensive lineman with the first pick. This is going to surprise you but the Chargers are thinking about trading up in the 2nd round. The target would be Forrest Lamp. Lamp is a hell of a player. I had him as the 5th best player in the draft. He really is that good. So getting him at this point of the draft is incredible value. The worry is the Seahawks are going to take him and that's where the thought process to trade up is coming from.

Some people are saying the Packers, at 33, are going to take a guard but I'm told they're all in on Joe Mixon. They want to keep moving back and collecting picks hoping to "weather the storm" and hope he "gets lost in the shuffle" as they acquire multiple picks.

The Vikings are rumored to be wanting jump up from 48 as well. So the Chargers might be outbid by them or another team. Going off the draft trade value chart the Chargers can trade up by giving up their 4th. A better deal would be if they swapped their 4th with another late round pick of the Packers. Again, the deal might not go through just because of a richer offer from another team. But trading up is a very real and strong option.

If the team decides to stay put and Lamp goes earlier, OG Dan Feeney from Indiana is the top target. Coincidentally, I have Feeney 1 spot below Williams on my top 100. Feeney is a good, safe 2nd round pick that should be able to contribute right away. Feeney is a good competitor that is a very good athlete. The goal is to protect the QB and over the last 3 years Feeney allowed only 2 sacks. He's not a mauler but he sticks on guys in the run game.

I have Feeney as the #3 guard behind Lamp and Western Michigan's Taylor Moton, who our Michael Peterson wrote about last month. Moton is also a target as is Connecticut safety Obi Melifonwu in the 2nd. These seem to be the pool of players we can expect to be a Charger tonight.

As for some of "my guys", there is legit interest in Budda Baker. I wonder if the NFL is leery of his size and he keeps falling. That'd be awesome. I'm trying to see what the interest in Alabama's tackle Cam Robinson is as well as Michigan State's Malik Mcdowell, who we all know I love. I'll try to check back in before the draft to see if there's any new nuggets I can share.

UPDATE - There have been some rumors swirling on twitter that the Chargers are interested in Notre Dame QB Deshone Kizer. Those who are reporting that are puppets. I have not heard his name at all. I would be very surprised if Kizer was the pick at 38. This is just an attempt for teams to trade up in front of them and push the players the team is targeting down.

Expect a lineman and a safety to be the picks today.

How would you feel about the targets listed? Is there anyone else you think the Chargers should keep an eye on?

More From Bolts From The Blue

PODCAST: Round 1 Recap Of The NFL Draft
              Chargers Made the Most Logical Decision
              Quick Take: My Thoughts on the Chargers Drafting Mike Williams
              Best Options for the Los Angeles Chargers at 38
              Will the Chargers Trade Up in Round 2?
              Los Angeles Chargers Daily Links: Twitter Reacts to Mike Williams Selection

TRENDING

The Best Available Players in the 2nd Round of the 2017 NFL Draft

Best Options for the Los Angeles Chargers at 38
              Here is Your Feel-Good Sports Moment of the Day
              Paid Content FromJCPenney Corporation
              Here is Your Feel-Good Sports Moment of the Day
              FIND TICKETS

Los Angeles area events happening soon:

FRI
              Apr 28
              Philadelphia Phillies @ Los Angeles Dodgers
              7:10 PM - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
              3,583 tickets available
              SAT
              Apr 29
              Philadelphia Phillies @ Los Angeles Dodgers
              6:10 PM - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
              6,900 tickets available
              SEE FULL SCHEDULE
              From our sponsor

TEAM SHOP

LaDainian Tomlinson San Diego Chargers Mitchell & Ness 2006 Replica Retired Player Jersey - Navy
              $149.99 BUY NOW

Lance Alworth San Diego Chargers Mitchell & Ness 1963 Retired Player Vintage Replica Jersey – Powder Blue
              $149.99 BUY NOW

LaDainian Tomlinson San Diego Chargers Nike Retired Player Game Jersey - Navy
              $99.99
              What utter garbage. Make up a bunch of crap from unnamed sources, get proven wrong and then claim it's because the GM "suddenly" had a change of heart? Bull$hit - with the amount of scouting people do, a team has already decided if a player is either going to be taken or not long before now.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I doubt a team trades up for a guy who drops in the draft to a place that team thought he would never fall to. Instead they sit tight and let him fall to the pick. Teams trade up for a guy they want that they do not think will drop. What position run ended the first round?
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• chargerkdb
                  Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                  I doubt a team trades up for a guy who drops in the draft to a place that team thought he would never fall to. Instead they sit tight and let him fall to the pick. Teams trade up for a guy they want that they do not think will drop. What position run ended the first round?
                  Actually we did exactly that with Manti Teo and we should have let him drop

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Jaws trying to get the boos off Goodell. Not working.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..

I"ll add mine for that asshole.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Green Bay will be making the pick, no trade out.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Has to be Cook. But they do love Montgomery.

Comment

Working...
                          X