The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

A quick mock.

1. Roquan Smith, ILB
    2 Derrick Nnadi, DT
    3. Brian O'Neill, OT
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
      blueman commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m down. I see Smith mocked high, like to the Raiders, but I think he drops, be awesome if we grabbed him. Also jonesing for Harrison.
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Here is a mock i found. I would be ok with this though I don't know if I see Denver and Oakland making those pics. But I'm fine with ours.
    1. Cleveland Browns: Sam Darnold, QB, USC Despite losing 41 of their last 43 games, this isn't a roster completely dilute of talent. Myles Garrett...

Comment

• blueman
      blueman commented
      Editing a comment
      Can’t open, what’s the pick?

• Boltjolt
      Boltjolt commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm, opens for me

17. Los Angeles Chargers: Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Quarterback Nic Shimonek, Texas Tech

2017 season grade: 86.3

All-Star game
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Late round qb prospect with an arm and accuracy.

Nic Shimonek, QB, Texas Tech
      Height: 6-3. Weight: 225.
      Projected 40 Time: 4.81.
      Projected Round (2018): 6-FA.

1/11/18: Shimonek was the Red Raiders' replacement for Pat Mahomes in 2017, and Shimonek had a quality year beating up on a conference that lacks defense. Some sources feel that Shimonek has real arm talent and is a prospect for the NFL. In 2017, Shimonek completed 67 percent of his passes for 3,963 yards with 33 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php#ixzz54UimeDqk

Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Another quick mock:

1. Roquan Smith, ILB
        2. Ronnie Harrison, S
        3. Desmond Harrison, OT
        4. Bo Scarbough, RB

Comment

• Formula 21
          Formula 21 commented
          Editing a comment
          I like it.
      • Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post
        I like nnadi from florida state, he looks explosive and could fit well into our scheme. Just preference tho
        I think Vea, Nnadi and Payne are good fits from a scheme standpoint.

Vea has been used as a 2 gap DT in the Washington 34, and he doesn't do that very well. Washington lets him get away with just standing up, catching the blocker, or blockers, and then shedding. Lots of the Washington DL do this, but you don't see any other teams who let their DL be this sloppy. He needs to take a first step and get into the blocker, or the NFL OL Is going to drive him off the line.

Vea is much better when they let him attack the line and penetrate. His first step drives the OL back and he can stay low and get penetration. He is not going to be a great pass rusher like Ngata, because he lacks the quickness and chase down speed. The problem I have with him is it's not clear if his sloppiness would carry over to his every down technique. His slow take off is also a little worrisome. You have to use some imagination to see him as a NFL DT. He is a project. He has the tools that Ngata did, but he is going to have to refine his game. I am not sure I would take him with our 17th pick.

Payne really did well improving late. He is a 2 gap player, but does it much better. His first step is good, and going forward. He lacks the great quickness and speed to be much of a pass rusher, but he moves well on stunts. Alabama often stunts him outside with the idea that he can contain running QB. He is also a better 1 gap player, but he plays both techniques well. I like him a lot. He is just not going to be a penetrate and make a ton of negative plays. but he controls the line and makes some plays around. Good complimentary guy on stunts to make the other DL better. I would take him with the 17th pick, and be pretty happy with him.

Nnadi is kinda interesting. He is not asked to 2 gap much, but he is playing the same 43 NT spot we would use him. He is not fast or quick and he looks slower than he is because he is a lot energy guy. But the funny thing is if you watch him on FSU cutups, he is trailing plays downfield a lot. He isn't going to catch them, but he does try, which to me says he is not lazy, just not a high energy guy. He will probably get a raw deal from reviews because he is not a refined body, and is kinda sloppy. But he stays low, can cause some short area penetration, and really keeps his LB clean. He is not a guy I like as 1st round pick, but if he falls to us in round 2, then he has to be a serious candidate. 3rd round or later is a slam dunk to me.

Comment

• charger1993
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I think Vea, Nnadi and Payne are good fits from a scheme standpoint.

Vea has been used as a 2 gap DT in the Washington 34, and he doesn't do that very well. Washington lets him get away with just standing up, catching the blocker, or blockers, and then shedding. Lots of the Washington DL do this, but you don't see any other teams who let their DL be this sloppy. He needs to take a first step and get into the blocker, or the NFL OL Is going to drive him off the line.

Vea is much better when they let him attack the line and penetrate. His first step drives the OL back and he can stay low and get penetration. He is not going to be a great pass rusher like Ngata, because he lacks the quickness and chase down speed. The problem I have with him is it's not clear if his sloppiness would carry over to his every down technique. His slow take off is also a little worrisome. You have to use some imagination to see him as a NFL DT. He is a project. He has the tools that Ngata did, but he is going to have to refine his game. I am not sure I would take him with our 17th pick.

Payne really did well improving late. He is a 2 gap player, but does it much better. His first step is good, and going forward. He lacks the great quickness and speed to be much of a pass rusher, but he moves well on stunts. Alabama often stunts him outside with the idea that he can contain running QB. He is also a better 1 gap player, but he plays both techniques well. I like him a lot. He is just not going to be a penetrate and make a ton of negative plays. but he controls the line and makes some plays around. Good complimentary guy on stunts to make the other DL better. I would take him with the 17th pick, and be pretty happy with him.

Nnadi is kinda interesting. He is not asked to 2 gap much, but he is playing the same 43 NT spot we would use him. He is not fast or quick and he looks slower than he is because he is a lot energy guy. But the funny thing is if you watch him on FSU cutups, he is trailing plays downfield a lot. He isn't going to catch them, but he does try, which to me says he is not lazy, just not a high energy guy. He will probably get a raw deal from reviews because he is not a refined body, and is kinda sloppy. But he stays low, can cause some short area penetration, and really keeps his LB clean. He is not a guy I like as 1st round pick, but if he falls to us in round 2, then he has to be a serious candidate. 3rd round or later is a slam dunk to me.
          I agree with everything said, im not a huge fan of vea because he often plays high, fully extended and pretty much just wins because hes so strong kind of a 1 trick pony right now.

Payne i have no problem with just not in the first round where he'll go, before the play offs he was a 2nd round maybe early 3rd round pick, the playoffs really helped him, and im always very wary of players who perform best when they know its all eyes, he only had to show up big for 2 games and thats ehat he did.

Nnadi isnt going to out run you, or be the most atheltic, but he shows good bend and plays low in the trenches, i think if we get him in the 2nd round ill be happy he has the talent.

Pretty much as of right now theres not dt i like in the first round, only dt i would have taken would have been wilkins but he went back to school, lets hope 1 of the 3 fall to us in the 2nd

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I am not a big fan of Wilkins. He is sloppy with his technique and likes to sit and wait, then shed and runs the play down. A lot of the most productive DL do that in college, but they need to learn to play with technique and power. He needed another year in school, and he will be better off for it.

I don't think there is any way Payne falls. He would have gone 1st even before his late season push. He plays a key position for a top school and has had a lot of playing time and decent technique. He was always going to be a top pick. His late season pick makes it something he really deserves, rather than because of his projection.

Nnadi is a pretty good athlete. I think he is going to fall because people are going to watch him play and think he is a fat slug. Their is an element of truth to that, so there is some risk and he may fall some. But I think he is a low risk if you have a coach or player to help with him. Like I said, he is a low energy guy, so he needs to get it in his head that he has to take care of himself and work at being in shape and keep his weight in check. His ceiling is not as high because of that, but he is still playing a run down position as a NT.

The real guy to like is Maurice Hurst. He could be a really good 3 technique. He may get knocked down because he lacks the super quickness of a John Randle or Aaron Donald. Hurst isn't going to beat players off the ball like some of the super quick 3 tech's do. But his combination of quickness, power and leverage are almost unique. He does get outpowered some, but not nearly what his size would suggest. He is like Jack Youngblood used to be for the Rams. He is hard to get a good fit on, and he is just too low. He jacks up a lot of bigger OL and can beat them with power and leverage. I hope he falls, because he could be that penetrating 3 technique who is a good pass rusher and blow up a lot of run plays in the backfield. I would trade up if we could to get him.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Watch the film on Rasheem Green. Hes cat quick for a 34 DE. He could probably be a speedy 3T for us. I would not be surprised if he times very well at the combine. Like possibly sub 4.85 range. Which for a DT is extremely athletic. If we are looking for someone on the inside with good pass rush and run stop ability he has a lot of potential. Only 20. Another young kid with a good ceiling and plenty of room for growth mentally and physically. Its like watching Derek Barnett from Tenn last year. Hes not a guy that looks like a great athlete but has a pretty refined skillset and moves a lot better than he looks. Green has good hands. And he gets really good leverage and is able to keep OL off of him and find the QB or ball carrier. He is always looking for the strip. He tackles very well. I think hes probably in the 3rd right now but will move up after a solid combine. Not a guy i love or anything but i like his hands and stiff arms a lot. Hes got a nice punch. And Bosa has really sold me on guys who have great hands and really good use of their arms. Green loves to prop up a blocker and then like a cat bounce of of him to make the kill on a QB or ball carrier. Just good awareness. He knows whats happening around him. Makes a lot of plays.

I watch the film and i see a Barnett type player who isnt going to blow you away with the stout body but will give you good technique and makes a lot of plays. Hes a little light at 275 but Green at 6'4 can add weight. Especially in his legs. Probably could play some DE as well. Im an SC fan so im a little biased. But i think the kid is going to be a very solid football player. High motor play maker.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

I am not a big fan of Wilkins. He is sloppy with his technique and likes to sit and wait, then shed and runs the play down. A lot of the most productive DL do that in college, but they need to learn to play with technique and power. He needed another year in school, and he will be better off for it.

I don't think there is any way Payne falls. He would have gone 1st even before his late season push. He plays a key position for a top school and has had a lot of playing time and decent technique. He was always going to be a top pick. His late season pick makes it something he really deserves, rather than because of his projection.

Nnadi is a pretty good athlete. I think he is going to fall because people are going to watch him play and think he is a fat slug. Their is an element of truth to that, so there is some risk and he may fall some. But I think he is a low risk if you have a coach or player to help with him. Like I said, he is a low energy guy, so he needs to get it in his head that he has to take care of himself and work at being in shape and keep his weight in check. His ceiling is not as high because of that, but he is still playing a run down position as a NT.

The real guy to like is Maurice Hurst. He could be a really good 3 technique. He may get knocked down because he lacks the super quickness of a John Randle or Aaron Donald. Hurst isn't going to beat players off the ball like some of the super quick 3 tech's do. But his combination of quickness, power and leverage are almost unique. He does get outpowered some, but not nearly what his size would suggest. He is like Jack Youngblood used to be for the Rams. He is hard to get a good fit on, and he is just too low. He jacks up a lot of bigger OL and can beat them with power and leverage. I hope he falls, because he could be that penetrating 3 technique who is a good pass rusher and blow up a lot of run plays in the backfield. I would trade up if we could to get him.
                Yeah, there's a lot of low energy guys in Florida.

And I'd prefer Hurst too because I like top quickness over massive power.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I met a guy tonight who played guard for the Colts in 1965, actually he was the last cut because they had to replace the center Dick Syzmanski who got hurt in training camp.

He was drafted in the 12th round but he played guard at 6-2, 245 pounds. And he was big for the position. His old picture looked like today's linebackers without the muscles.

Times change.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• charger1993
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

The best thing about wilkins is he can play every position on the dline, his iq is great, he gets his hands up at the right times to knock a pass down, and when hes told to go sfter the qb he has quick hands.

Payne has no chance of falling now, before the playoffs he had a second round grade on him he was playing good but not 1st round good.

Nnadi is definitely a low energy guy but having bosa and ingram on his outsides should liven him up, his only reall job will be try to take on double teams or just plug the middle for the run.

Hurst scares him, i know in a 4-3 you dont need a big dt but hes only 285 pounds thats light dor a dt. I just worry about him getting pushed around in the nfl at that weight

Comment

Working...
                    X