• Show
Clear All
  • bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Would Hurst be 3 tech or Nose in Charger D?
    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Hurst would be a 3 tech

Comment

• bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Hurst would be a 3 tech

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• chargerkdb
          Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
          • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Leo is the weak side DE in our D. Will is the weak side LB.

I am not sure Edmunds can play Leo. He gets to blitz some, but he is not a pass rusher who has technique and plays like a DE. It hurts his stock as a SAM/OTTO LB a little bit too.

The good thing is I don't think many people care. He is probably best suited to be a Will LB, and can probably play Mike. You can develop him into a SAM or a LEO, but it would take a while because he is just not used like that and has none of the skills. His skills just don't look like they would turn him into a top player at those positions, and his skills at Will, or MIke do.

Edmunds is a stack and flow LB who can read and react and give a D some real height in the middle. He is fluid and can cover a lot of ground. I would like to see him with an extra gear closing on the ball, but he is fast and instinctive enough to be a good coverage guy. He needs some work on his drops, but all college LB do. I can see him getting a lot of int over the middle when he drops into a zone and a QB without a lot of touch just can't get the ball over his head and into the receiver. He takes away more ground that just his speed (which is already good) would indicate. The other knock I have on him is that he slips blocks more than he takes them on and sheds them. He is at his best being protected by the DL so he can just run to the ball. He is not horrible shedding, but it's not his thing.

He might be around at 17. I agree, he shouldn't, but LB are one of those positions that just don't seem to go that high any more. I could see him like a Derrick Johnson (ILB KC) type of guy, although he is a better player than when Johnson was drafted in the 1st round by KC. The thing is in today's NFL, does a LB dropping into pass coverage have that much value. The OLB guys who rush the QB do because they are pass rushers. I think he goes in the middle to late 1st mostly because ILB don't go that high anymore unless they have rare speed (Myles Jack).

Comment

• blueman
              blueman commented
              Editing a comment
              I dunno, I’d be pretty happy with a ILB who can do all of those things out of the box (considering we don’t have a ILB who can), and has room that mature into an even more complete player. Also I don’t see a FA or draft pick who will be a magic bullet on our DL, so better tackling somewhere behind the LOS seems priority to me. Either a LB like Edmunds or a safety like Harrison will help loads IMHO (and there are nice DT options who could play decent snaps for us even as a rookie in mid rounds). Also liking Payne more than the other DL not named Chubb.
              Last edited by blueman; 01-31-2018, 07:07 PM.

• chargerkdb
              chargerkdb commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree he would normally be there at 17 but he has the “potential” to play any LB spot. He will drop jaws at combine with 4.5-40 time, a 40” verticle at 6’5” 250 and 2+ years of tape at only age 19, he is a physical freak with film to back it and not just a workout warrior. Some GM is going to project that potential. I think he doesn’t get outside of top 10, freaks get overdrafted on potential and he has it in spades. Just my humble opinion.
              Latest on MLB Tremaine Edmunds including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

That profile doesn’t read like 17 overall to me
              Last edited by chargerkdb; 02-01-2018, 12:15 PM.
          • Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

To me the thing is I think Liuget is the guy who goes. $10 mill per season contract, and very modest production and then we have some salary cap space to resign the RFA and for next year with the CB. There is lot of other things the team needs that money for than an under performing DT.

Mebane might get released by he is more valuable and the better player. They only way they release him is if they are just trying to clear a buttload of cap space. Otherwise, you bring him back and let him compete for his job, but if he doesn't win it in camp, he is probably gone.

As far as 3 tech, I would give the starting job to Phillon and then try and draft a 3 tech. If Hurst is there, I love him and would take him. If he is gone, which I am 99% sure he will be, then I take one later. Green the kid from USC (listed as a DE by some sources) I think would be a kid you could develop and be a regular part of a DL rotation, and maybe develop into a starter down the road in a year or two.Squares and Palepoi should also get some time at it.

Mebane I would let compete to start at NT, but his cap number is too high to bring as a backup. If we end up being able to draft Payne or Vea, then i think we can solidify the NT spot and shore up the inside run D. I also think they add some pass rush in the base D, although both are more the type to finish plays when the QB is flushed, or stuff draws and screens. They lack inital quickness and chase down speed, but neither of them is completely immobile.

Settle, Nnadi and Phillips are other NT prospects to us a quality pick on.

Comment

• bonehead
              bonehead commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds good, thanks

• blueman
              blueman commented
              Editing a comment
              Settle looks awesome! The amount of D talent in this draft is scary.

• chargerkdb
              chargerkdb commented
              Editing a comment
              Settle could be a pro bowler or a heartbreaker. Took 2 years to break into a thin DL rotation at VT as an ESPN 5 Star recruit. Played 1 season at a 5-6th round level and is bolting for NFL. The guy stole food and gym space from the Hokies. Caveat emptor
          • blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

McShay has us taking James in his latest mock draft.

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              Depending on who else is there, he would be a very good choice. Could potentially challenge for any of 3 starting spots on D. Phillips at Dime S/Will LB, Addae at SS or Boston at FS.

• blueman
              blueman commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I still like Harrison better for us, and he might be there in the 2nd leaving our 1st for DL/OL/???
          • Attack
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2017
            • Send PM

Jeremiah and Brooks have the Chargers taking OT Orlando Brown in round 1, C James Daniels in round 2, and K Carlson in round 3 in the latest mock.

It would be very disappointing if the draft turned out that way, taking no Defense in first 3 rounds, and overdrafting for the K.

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post
              Jeremiah and Brooks have the Chargers taking OT Orlando Brown in round 1, C James Daniels in round 2, and K Carlson in round 3 in the latest mock.

It would be very disappointing if the draft turned out that way, taking no Defense in first 3 rounds, and overdrafting for the K.
              That was Chad Reuters Mock and yes that would be a disaster Draft ......his 3 round Mock is a little sketchy but it is early....he has Giants taking punter in the 3rd round 66th pick

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Attack
                Attack commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the correction!

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                Not a big fan of Brown in the 1st. Decent pass blocker, horrible run blocker. And not a fan of drafting a K.

I like Daniel. Very athletic and the kind of player who could get our zone run game back on the map. Good at helping on the double team then releasing to the 2nd and 3rd levels to give some cutbacks.Very athletic and long arms for a C. Sort of a taller, more athletic version of Hardwick.

• bonehead
                bonehead commented
                Editing a comment
                I just read some scouting reports on Daniel(never heard of him) and there is a lot to like, would be nice if he slipped to the Chargers 3rd pick
            • Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The defensive backfield was one of the strengths for the Chargers with Casey Hayward turning in another Pro Bowl performance. How does 2018 look?
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The Chargers find themselves in one of the better positions for teams that missed out on the 2017 postseason with many important positions already secure with talented players. However, there remai…
                Last edited by Bolt-O; 02-08-2018, 09:53 AM. Reason: better link...
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

In order to serve all Chargers fans, Chargers.com has compiled a list of who some top draft pundits are projecting the Bolts will select with the 17thJoey Bosa and Melvin IngramJoey Bosa and Melvin IngramCorey Liuget and Brandon MebaneJoey Bosa and Melvin Ingram frustrating quarterbacks in front of him? James is an athletic freak and exactly the kind of versatile safety teams are starting to fall in love with. He's similar in many ways to Keanu Neal, but faster and more explosive attacking the ball. And while his 2017 got off to a slow start while he was coming back from injury, James finished the year with a dominant streak of games and showed that he's still a top-tier safety prospect. The Chargers have an All-Pro cornerback in Casey HaywardCorey LiugetPhilip Rivers retires at quarterback but as their second half surge showed, this is still a team capable of competing to win right now. Brown could be plugged in at right tackle to boost a decent unit, helping set the edge for Melvin GordonPhilip Rivers

Comment

Working...
                  X