Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleet
    replied
    This time next year DaRon Payne will be 21 nearing his 22nd Bday. Vea will be 24. I go with the youth here. I have always been drawn to the younger players that are also considered top prospects. I factor it into my assessment of players. It doesnt mean everything but its a plus imo.

Obviously i like Hurst a lot...even if the film on him take a while to see plays being made due to the amount of attention teams give him, but i think ive settled on Payne as the best fit if we go DT.

Payne
    Hurst
    Vea

Final answer. And im not a huge Vea guy. I also really like Harrison Phillips.

Leave a comment:

• Screeme
    replied
    I would be quite angry with that trade. It's a terrible move.

Leave a comment:

• Rugger05
    replied
    I would punch myself in the nuts if this happened..................

Leave a comment:

• Panamamike
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Formula 21
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Panamamike
    replied
    Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    The PFF Live 7 round Mock. Only two rounds so far, but this is a shocker. These are the 4 players I'm most interested in. And boy do they love Hurst. And I have to say, they were right about Bosa when they raved over him.

4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston)

Derwin James, S, Florida State

Some debate was had in Berea as offers to trade back were considered versus taking either Michigan DT Maurice Hurst or James. In the end, James and the positional value.@PFF_JohnKosko

9. TRADE: Los Angeles Chargers (from San Francisco)

Maurice Hurst, DI, Michigan

@HondoCz

10. Oakland Raiders

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia@AustinGayle_PFF

20. Detroit Lions

Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech@PFF_Josh
    HURST is their highest rated DT since they have been grading.

Leave a comment:

• Formula 21
    replied
    The PFF Live 7 round Mock. Only two rounds so far, but this is a shocker. These are the 4 players I'm most interested in. And boy do they love Hurst. And I have to say, they were right about Bosa when they raved over him.

4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston)

Derwin James, S, Florida State

Some debate was had in Berea as offers to trade back were considered versus taking either Michigan DT Maurice Hurst or James. In the end, James and the positional value.@PFF_JohnKosko

9. TRADE: Los Angeles Chargers (from San Francisco)

Maurice Hurst, DI, Michigan

@HondoCz

10. Oakland Raiders

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia@AustinGayle_PFF

20. Detroit Lions

Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech@PFF_Josh
    Last edited by Formula 21; 04-17-2018, 04:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• charger1993
    replied
    Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    The latest mock on the NFL site has us taking Deerwin James:

This would be a dream pick for the Chargers. James is a top-10 talent in this draft and a perfect scheme fit.
    Im telling ya, ima cry if we draft him. Ill be so happy

Leave a comment:

• Panamamike
    commented on 's reply
    Since the chatter is never correct with TT and his picks, it is safe to say that QB will NOT be selected in the second round. Book it.

• OhioBolt
    replied
    Pick 17 the best defensive player available DT or LB, or Safety, 2nd round defense again.

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    replied
    The latest mock on the NFL site has us taking Deerwin James:

This would be a dream pick for the Chargers. James is a top-10 talent in this draft and a perfect scheme fit.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
    If I remember right, and I think I do... Perryman, when he came back last season... played Will.

I think if they can draft a guy who can play the Mike, and play it for 3 downs, you do it. If you can't... you plug Perryman back into that spot.

And you could look at: Will/Safety/Payne in the first round.

I love Payne, but I do have concerns with how long it takes Big DT's to develop. I'm not talking the Aaron Donald types, I'm talking the bigger guys that play the Mebane role... and with Leguit restructuring... maybe they aren't interested in taking a DT that early?

For as much grief as Emmanuel took on here (and rightfully so, especially early), he improved A lot as the season went on... and we're not in Base 4-3 very often anyway.
    He was playing a brand new position... (He was a 4-3 DE in college, then was a 3-4 OLB for the Bolts)... I thought he played a lot better, and he's on a rookie deal still. And the team is in Base defense what? 30% of the snaps?
    Add in it that some of the teams who have played this scheme in the past have moved the traditional guys around. Gary Plummer was the Will LB for the 49ers when they started Ken Norton and Lee Woodall played a wide 9 flex LB. Norton was about 235 lbs and Plummer about 250 lbs. But Plummer was asked to just plug and fill and they got him off the field pretty quick. Norton was the run and hit slot, and played in all the situations.

The attractive part of Payne is that he is pretty far along with his play. He plays low and uses his hands. He is probably the most pro-ready NFL DT this season, with Hurst being 2nd. Vea is very, very far behind, although he is the sort of top-notch athlete that gets scouts to drool.

I agree on Emmanuel. If we find a OTTO LB who can really rush the QB, draft them, but mostly to add depth at Leo rush types. Emmanuel is a solid depth guy since he can play inside and outside LB, and he does a good job of maintaining leverage on the outside. He isn't a great player, but looking at the current FA, the only other guy who is close is Shea McClellin, and I am not sure he has actually played OLB (he played ILB for NE). Finding another OLB would be nice, but it is not a really high priority. Adding depth would be good too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X