• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

The latest CBS mock has him going #2 overall. Yep, he's good.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Vitea Via is being projected high because he has great physical tools. He is a big man with strength and can run. They will always find someone to take them high.

Like a lot of huge college players, he just uses his size a lot of time. That doesn't project to the NFL very well, were almost every OL is fairly technically sound and can handle big DL. He likes to just stay on the line of scrimmage and wait till the OL blocks him (standing still) then Via throws the little guy off and runs down the ball carrier. When he pass rushes, he just waits till he is sure the play is a pass then just bull rushes the OL.

The plus is that this season, Via seems to be learning to play like an NFL DL. He has always played with decent leverage and knee bend. Now he is starting to take the first step so that he is trying to shed the block while he is going upfield. He runs well for a big man, so that is a good thing for him. He isn't really quick, but his combination of speed and size can be pretty hard to defend if he can start to use his hands and feet together with a good first step. But as the game goes on, he doesn't keep it up (or didn't a couple of times I saw him). He will never be a great pass rusher, but he can provide some push of the pocket in the base D.

Guys like Via are tough to scout, IMHO. They are getting better, but clearly, have some bad habits to break. Fortunately, Giff Smith is a very good DL coach. Some teams have just so-so DL line coaches, and if we had a regular guy, I don't think drafting a project like Via makes any sense. You just don't hit on those guys. Via is kinda a risk, but there are just not many DL who are big and fast. You just have to remember that a guy that big and who lacks that quickness is never going to be a great pass rusher. He can push the inside of the pocket, but he is not going to be a 10 sack a year guy. But he can be a Reuben Davis type of run stuffer who is impossible to move and pushes the middle of the pocket a little IF he improves his technique.

He is a guy I would like to see closely at the senior bowl practices and at the combine. See how he interacts with the coaches and stuff. He is definitely worth looking at.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post
          Dexter Lawrence on Clemson, if we could somehow draft him in 2019 (dreaming), would be our new Jamal Williams. I wonder how much Wilkins benefits from playing alongside Lawrence.

Harrison Phillips on Stanford is a high effort, very strong D-lineman that is impressive too.

What about Vita Vea on Washington's D-line? He's another massive player, but haven't seen much of him. He's projected to be a first round pick.
          Phillips is a stud. Thats why OL who go up against him and hold their own will stand out. The OG Nelson at Notre Dame was one and has had a great season. He could get Zach Martin comparisons. And Lamp/Nelson with Slausson back at Center may be a nice interior for us.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Per tankathon.com/nfl, initial pick is 14, based on having the lowest strength of schedule (.453) of the 6 teams at 6-6. If Cincy wins tonight, the Chargers move up to 13. That low SOS is shared by the Jaguars and Titans.

The Browns have a shot of having two "top 5" picks in the 2018 draft, as they have the Texans pick.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

1. image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Auburn_logo.gif
                Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn
                Height: 6-4. Weight: 218.
                Projected Round (2018): 4-6.
                11/25/17: Carlson is 19-of-25 this year. Two misses came in the 40s, one was in the 50s, and one was in the 20-yard range. He is four-of-six in the 50-yard range this year, with a long of 54, where he has been good from twice.

7/24/17: Carlson was 28-of-32 in 2016, including four field goals from over 50 yards away. His long for the year was 53 yards, and he connected from that distance twice. Carlson had a phenomenal season and was 4-of-7 in the 50-yard range and a perfect 6-for-6 in the 40-yard range.

Carlson was 23-for-27 (85 percent) as a sophomore in 2015. He made all 40 of his extra points. Carlson showed his strength with a long field goal of 56 yards. As a freshman, he was 18-of-24 (75 percent). Carlson hasn't missed an extra point entering his senior year.
              2. image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Florida_logo.gif
                Eddy Pineiro**, K, Florida
                Height: 6-0. Weight: 173.
                Projected Round (2018): 4-6.
                11/25/17: Pineiro is 16-of-17 this season. His longest was 46 yards.

7/24/17: Pineiro has three years of eligibility, but will be a senior in the classroom in 2017 after starting out his collegiate career in the junior college ranks, but not playing football there. He became an internet legend when video of him making a 77-yard field goal went viral.

There was a fierce recruiting war over Pineiro, and he chose Florida over Alabama and Miami. In 2016, Pineiro kicked well for the Gators, connecting on 21-of-25 with long field goals of 54, 53 and 54 yards. Pineiro hit some clutch kicks for an offense that struggled to score points.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018K...vobJ9uZREsG.99
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

The Browns have a shot of having two "top 5" picks in the 2018 draft, as they have the Texans pick.
                Could they possibly f*ck that up?
                Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• blueman
                  blueman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sure.
              • Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Phillips is a stud. Thats why OL who go up against him and hold their own will stand out. The OG Nelson at Notre Dame was one and has had a great season. He could get Zach Martin comparisons. And Lamp/Nelson with Slausson back at Center may be a nice interior for us.
                If that works out, would you move Feeney to C?

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If that works out, would you move Feeney to C?
                  I dont know to be honest. I think you let him compete in camp there. Maybe even sign a guy. Lynn has said he wants his interior guys to know both spots. What are your thoughts on Feeney at Center? I have hope for him but i wouldnt be upset with a dominant interior guy like Nelson. Hes a monster.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                    Fluent in Sarcasm
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Iowa
                    • Man of the People
                    • Send PM

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X