Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post

I know solder played with the giants. Im saying the pats had him and he was playing at a high level.
    i hope to god lamp knee is good, i want it to be. But a 2 year i jury should make anyone nervous. How do we know his knee isnt shot like tuerks?? Knee injuries scare me i will always admit that. You never know how good it really is till you play a game on it.
    according to the team and Lamp and his agent, he was healthy all year last year and so frustrated at not getting a chance to compete early for a starting job he almost demanded to be traded. I guess you missed it but he DID get onto several games towards the end of the season, so there should not be further concerns about his knee being good to go..
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

I like Lamp but the fact that Lynn wouldn't play him last year despite how awful our O line was shows that Lynn has something personal against the guy and it's not gonna change next season.

I would be surprised if Lamp isn't traded during the summer and on some other roster next season.
      Yeah....no on this. Lynn did not have anything personal against Lamp. He just understands that you can't just throw an OL into a lineup who spent almost all of last offseason rehabbing instead of training. I expect different things this year now that Lamp no longer has to deal with rehab.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

We didn't draft Dielman. He was an UDFA, and we brought him in to play DL, not OL. He wasn't even switched to OL until after preseason his rookie year. However, he was an outstanding player his 2nd season, and he had only played OL very, very sparingly in college. He basically learned in a year, although learning from scratch is often easier than unlearning the old bad habits.

McNeil was a 1st round prospect who fell out of the 1st because of the same neck issue that eventually caused him to retire.

Our OL was not awful last year. That is simply wrong. It was solid for most of the season, then got exploited late in the year. So the OL was only bad part of the year.

It seems that the vast majority of the people posting in this thread are being intellectually dishonest as well. You seem to think it will take years for Pipkins to learn to develop at OT, while discounting the chance that young OL may get better. Again, to use the Dielman example, he was simply awful as a rookie but played at a very high level the next season. Was a Fairy Godmother or a Genie giving magic wishes involved, which seem to be what some are suggesting, or a tremendous amount of hard work, which is probably how it happened?

And as far as Lamp goes, how was he supposed to get better? Mental reps at a position he has never played in a full game? Or how was he supposed to learn the multiple positions to be active on game days (the chargers don't activate backup OL who only play one position), when he was still rehabbing during the install part of the offense?
        Agree with basically everything except that Dielman took two years before he got to play. I believe he was undrafted in 2003 and got his first playing time when Tony Fonoti got traded in 2005. It was an inconsistent season as you already mentioned but undrafted DL converted to OL tend to do that. If Pipkins is as good as the FO thinks he is, I think it will be only a year before he gets in. Maybe sooner if there are injuries to Okung or Tevi.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

See thats my point. And ontop of that whens the last time the chsrgers have drafted an offensive lineman and youve seen positive result from being coached up?? Kris dielman. I juat dont get it if wefe drafting for down the road then why didnt we do the same thing for rivers?? And draft a qb to develop?? I just dont understand the move.
          Because Rivers has proven to be super durable and dependable compared to our OL?

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

I thought lamp was rehabbing that bad knee??? I mean the pick is made. I just dont get drafting a developmental player so early.
            Lamp doesn't have a bad knee. He's been done rehabbing since the middle of last season (a year and three months of recovery since the injury essentially), and now we finally get a chance to see him actually train during the offseason for a chance at a starting spot. Which he should do based on who we drafted so far.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

I understand that but good players fall all the time. We knew desmond was pretty much a sure thing and we got him in the 5th. Desmond king was a proven player he was the closest u could get to a sure thing. Thats what i mean by sure thing in round 3. A player who u can more likely than not slide into the sliding rotation. We could take Austin bryant and hed be a slightly better version of isaac Rochelle.
              Its always risk vs reward in all sport drafts. I just dont like gambling in early rounds.
              Remember when the raiders took seabass in the first?? Hell of a player but you dont think they couldnt have gotten him later?
              Our next picks are gonna be Cb, Lb,Te,Rb.
              we seem to be drafting need thus draft instead of Bpa
              Are you sure about that? I feel that Tillery and Adderly were the BPA at our draft spot. It just so happens that they also were needs too. Pipkins if anything seems more in line with BPA than need considering that he may not even start this year.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                Agree with basically everything except that Dielman took two years before he got to play. I believe he was undrafted in 2003 and got his first playing time when Tony Fonoti got traded in 2005. It was an inconsistent season as you already mentioned but undrafted DL converted to OL tend to do that. If Pipkins is as good as the FO thinks he is, I think it will be only a year before he gets in. Maybe sooner if there are injuries to Okung or Tevi.
                Ok, but the point was he went from terrible to awesome basically overnight. He was terrible his 1st year at OL, but when he came back in preseason the next year we played a PS game in Australia, and he started for Fonoti, and kicked the guys he faced all up and down the field.

Then a couple games into the season, Dielman dominated Richard Seymour when he was at the height of his game for NE. He went from nobody who really didn't deserve a roster spot to great in one year. That is actually easier for guys who don't have bad habits to fix, which is what I was getting at.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

See thats my point. And ontop of that whens the last time the chsrgers have drafted an offensive lineman and youve seen positive result from being coached up?? Kris dielman. I juat dont get it if wefe drafting for down the road then why didnt we do the same thing for rivers?? And draft a qb to develop?? I just dont understand the move.
                  Qb are throwing a lot more passes and using a lot more modern passing concepts because of the spread (if it is the right kind of spread). They are missing stuff like footwork, but they are getting developed fairly well. You see a lot of college QB coming out and being fairly well developed and playing early in their careers. I still think giving the young QB a year to sit is a good idea, but you draft a QB too far into the future they leave on you because they only have 4 years, and I think there is an outside chance that Rivers could still be playing in 4 years.

OL is different. THe state of OL play in college football is awful. When was the last time a draft had an Orlando Pace, or a Johnathan Ogden?
                  The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Looking back at it, it looks like 2011 or 2010, depending on what you think of the guys. The physical skills are there, but those super polish, ready to be star caliber OL are just not there anymore. Teams are developing every player they draft at OL, some just need more development than others. The biggest problem with that is NFL rosters are just not set up to have enough players to do that. The 53 man roster doesn't have a lot of room for developmental picks.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

First play in pads in TC, Pipkin is gonna end up on his ass. Welcome to the NFL, rook.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                    X