• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

CLEMSON - Clemson could have as many as 11 players selected when the 2019 NFL Draft unfolds next month in Nashville, including three or four in the first round.

Trevion Thompson isn't likely to be among them.

If Thompson shows up in an NFL camp this summer, it'll probably be via the free agent route, but that's OK with him.

All he wants is a chance.

"It's just a matter of believing in myself," Thompson said.

Thompson spent his four seasons at Clemson overshadowed by a steady procession of notable wide receivers such as Mike Williams, Artavis Scott, Deon Cain, Tee Higgins and Justyn Ross.

Still, there's hope. Buy Photo

Clemson wide receiver Trevion Thompson (1) laughs during the Tigers Cotton Bowl practice on Wednesday, December 12, 2018. (Photo: BART BOATWRIGHT/Staff)
    Clemson coach Dabo Swinney and co-offensive coordinator and receivers coach Jeff Scott have repeatedly compared Thompson to former Clemson receiver Jaron Brown, who himself toiled in relative obscurity behind players such as DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins and Martavis Bryant.

Brown went undrafted in 2013, but signed a free agent deal with the Arizona Cardinals.

Now a member of the Seattle Seahawks, Brown is about to embark on his seventh NFL season with solid career numbers as a pro: 100 receptions for 1,343 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Swinney is convinced that Thompson could be the next Brown.

"He's Jaron Brown, maybe even more talented," Swinney said. "He's a guy that I have incredible respect for." Buy Photo

Wide receiver Trevion Thompson catches a long pass during Clemson pro day at the Poe Indoor Facility in Clemson Thursday, March 14, 2019. (Photo: Ken Ruinard / staff)
    Thompson stated his case at Clemson's Pro Day last week, turning in the best all-around performance of any of the 24 former Tigers who participated in the event.

Not all players competed in every event, but Thompson - who was not invited to the NFL Combine last month - did, with impressive results.

His 36-inch vertical jump was the best of the day and he also had the best times of all competitors in the 40-yard dash (4.43), short shuttle (4.32), three-cone shuttle (6.87) and long shuttle (11.17). His 10-foot, 2-inch broad jump was the second-best of the day. Buy Photo

Wide receiver Trevion Thompson had a vertical leap of 36 inches during Clemson's Pro Day at the Poe Indoor Facility on March 14. (Photo: Ken Ruinard / staff)
    "My whole focus was to come out here and do my best," Thompson said. "I felt great today, felt great warming up and the results speak for themselves. I'm happy.

"I worked hard for it and I knew what I was capable of. It was just a matter of showing everybody what I could do."

Nearly 100 NFL scouts, coaches and general managers representing all 32 NFL teams were on hand for the event, so Thompson is optimistic that he may now be on some teams' radars.

"I talked to a lot of them, gave my number out, so I should be getting some calls," said Thompson, who had 53 receptions for 506 yards and two touchdowns during his Clemson career. "I'll keep training, training, training and continue to get in shape, get stronger, hone my craft, sharpen my skills." Buy Photo

Wide receiver Trevion Thompson is congratulated after testing in the bench press during Clemson Pro Day at the Poe Indoor Facility in Clemson, S.C. Thursday, March 14, 2019. Thompson had 16 reps of 225 pounds. (Photo: Ken Ruinard / staff)
    So what will a team be getting if they take a chance on Thompson?

"A guy that's versatile," Thompson said. "A team player, a leader and a guy who wants to get better every day.

"Hopefully I showed my versatility. I can do whatever they need me to do. I think I silenced the doubters. I can do more than what they expected."
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• charger1993
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

I dont think he performed any kickoffs for ND. But he certainly crushed that kick in the video.
      That ball was humming. It went so far that i couldnt tell where it landed. I heard em say 74. But i couldnt tell if he made it. If he vsn do that every kickoff sign me up. Cant have a bad special teams if they csnt return it.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

had mentioned both Tyler Newsome and Kemon Hall prior to the draft, and like Eurndraus from what I can gather.

also intrigued by the likes of Koda Martin, Randle, Trevion Thompson (somewhere had him listed as going to the Rams ?), and Elijah Zeise.

glad to see Rypien go to the Broncos.... think he outlasts Lock there.

and is Coney going to DC or to Oakland (watch out
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

coupla few other guys that I haven't seen listed anywhere.... LB Jawuan Johnson, OLB/DE Titus Davis, NT Olive Sagapolu, OT Casey Tucker, and P Corey Fatony ??
          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• bolts4lyfe
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2017
            • Send PM

Offense:

QB: Philip Rivers, Tyrod Taylor
            RB: Melvin Gordon, Austin Eckler, Justin Jackson
            WR1: Keenan Allen, Travis Benjamin, Artavis Scott
            WR2: Mike Williams, Dylan Cantrell
            TE: Hunter Henry, Virgil Green
            FB: Derek Watt
            LT: Russell Okung, Trey Pipkins
            LG: Dan Feeney
            OC: Mike Pouncey, Scott Quessenberry
            RG: Mike Schofield
            RT: Forrest Lamp, Sam Tevi

Deffense:

LDE: Joey Bosa, Isaac Rochelle
            NT: Brandon Mebane, Cortez Broughton
            DT: Jerry Tillery, Justin Jones
            RDE: Melvin Ingram, Egbule Emeke
            WLB: Kyzir White, Jatavis Brown
            MLB Denzel Perryman, Drue Tranquill
            SLB: Thomas Davis, Uchenna Nwosu
            RCB: Mike Davis, Trevor Williams
            FS: Nasir Adderley, Rayshawn Jenkins, Jaylen Watkins
            SS: Derwin James, Adrian Phillips
            LCB: Casey Hayward, Desmond King

Special Teams:
            P: ???????????
            K: Michael Badgley
            LS: Mike Windt

Obviously we would like to have serviceable insurance when injuries happen, but on paper the Chargers have upgraded significantly. Tom Telesco has said that now that the draft is over they expect to start looking at free agents to fill in where they may be weakest. Now I selected WR as an area of need just because outside of Mike Williams and Keenan Allen, there isn't much proven commodity. I don't expect a move to be made but I also wouldn't be surprised to see them sign another mid tier veteran for insurance.

Tight end is a position we need to upgrade behind Hunter Henry but I feel they may choose to bring back Antonio Gates on a team/player friendly contract for 1 more year just as a crowd pleasing insurance policy.

The biggest area of need right now is offensive line, but I think the team truly wants to see what they have with Forrest Lamp, I know they want him to be their RT. They also must like Sam Tevi and feel he has room to grow. On Dan Feeney, they may want to give another shot before making any decisions, Which is why I feel they chose to not address the offensive line, like we all hoped they would. Having said I expect they to bring in some competition through free agency.

The defense looks solid all around, On paper this is a offensive coordinators worst nightmare, The DB group is the best I've ever seen in all my years as a fan. The LB group was the primary focus this off season and Telesco did not fail to impress. Even though the Chargers got a guy that I highly coveted in Jerry Tillery, and sealed the 7th round with Broughton who has all the traits to one day become a good player, relying on a 34 year old Mebane and a couple of rookies, is less than ideal. The team has said they really like Justin Jones, and believe he's a starter and will more than likely take over for Mebane in a year or two, he too is still raw. I expect them to address this position in free agency but am not expecting Suh to come walking in anytime soon. I would like them to reach out to Damion Square to see if he wants to come back home.

All and all after the draft, I am very pleased to see what the team looks like on paper, some may not like what was done but I get what they did and am loving the potential of what this team can be this fall. As a writer for BFTB stated in an recent article, this team looks a lot better than it did on Wednesday.

B+ Grade for me

Oh yeah we may need a Punter
            Last edited by bolts4lyfe; 04-27-2019, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Egbule is a MLB or SAM? Saw him lined up at both. But Not at DE. Unless TT said something about him playing DE.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-27-2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

and you can toss all the tomatoes and the cans too, cuz not only am I doing a hindsight draft, but am doing it w/a trade down w/NY.... one which surely seemed available by the looks of things:

037) WR AJ Brown * that's if I was brave, if not and similar to my Isaiah Wynn leanings last year, would prolly be more than fine w/Eric McCoy
                060) FS Nasir Adderley * nice to type that out w/him officially as a Charger
                091) OT Yodny Cajuste * just really like his intangibles, albeit will concede that on an AL run team, that if you can't/don't run block, then you might not see the field/roster much
                108) RB Bryce Love * this is where I really start to like the trade down option, as this guy is a high injury risk, and.... a very, very explosive offensive option
                130) QB Jarrett Stidham * the one thing I didn't mention up 'til the draft w/this guy, is that I think he is the most Bradyesque guy I've seen in quite awhile, if not ever
                143) CB Amani Oruwariye * now that woulda, coulda, shoulda been nice.... dude is gonna play in the NFL, 'specially w/the nickels 'n dimes rollin' around nowadays
                166) RT Isaiah Prince * think he's a load, and that he will eventually be an NFL starter on the right side
                180) WR Kelvin Harmon * thought this guy was a solid and pretty much a lock for day/round two.... (wonder what it was/is that I didn't/don't know ?)
                200) WR John Ursua * know that's too many wideouts for the roster, and.... he's the guy I had penciled in for us @WR near the end of the stanza
                240) LB Te'Von Coney * gonna be surprised if this isn't the better ND linebacker when all is said and done.... not to mention more durable

Comment

• bolts4lyfe
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  Egbule is a MLB, Not a DE. Unless TT said something about him playing DE
                  I think Nwosu may end up RDE behind Ingram but I kind of flipped the two, Egbule is a versatile player where I think they'll get creative and line him up all over

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                    and you can toss all the tomatoes and the cans too, cuz not only am I doing a hindsight draft, but am doing it w/a trade down w/NY.... one which surely seemed available by the looks of things:

037) WR AJ Brown * that's if I was brave, if not and similar to my Isaiah Wynn leanings last year, would prolly be more than fine w/Eric McCoy
                    060) FS Nasir Adderley * nice to type that out w/him officially as a Charger
                    091) OT Yodny Cajuste * just really like his intangibles, albeit will concede that on an AL run team, that if you can't/don't run block, then you might not see the field/roster much
                    108) RB Bryce Love * this is where I really start to like the trade down option, as this guy is a high injury risk, and.... a very, very explosive offensive option
                    130) QB Jarrett Stidham * the one thing I didn't mention up 'til the draft w/this guy, is that I think he is the most Bradyesque guy I've seen in quite awhile, if not ever
                    143) CB Amani Oruwariye * now that woulda, coulda, shoulda been nice.... dude is gonna play in the NFL, 'specially w/the nickels 'n dimes rollin' around nowadays
                    166) RT Isaiah Prince * think he's a load, and that he will eventually be an NFL starter on the right side
                    180) WR Kelvin Harmon * thought this guy was a solid and pretty much a lock for day/round two.... (wonder what it was/is that I didn't/don't know ?)
                    200) WR John Ursua * know that's too many wideouts for the roster, and.... he's the guy I had penciled in for us @WR near the end of the stanza
                    240) LB Te'Von Coney * gonna be surprised if this isn't the better ND linebacker when all is said and done.... not to mention more durable
                    Well yeah but.... We didn't trade with them. IF they called, we turned them down so what's the point? And why would we draft 3 WRs?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Of Egbule TT said yesterday,
                      "he's an OTTO."
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by bolts4lyfe View Post

I think Nwosu may end up RDE behind Ingram but I kind of flipped the two, Egbule is a versatile player where I think they'll get creative and line him up all over
                        I don't know if they will with Egbule at DE. Nwosu was at LDE when he caused the fumble in the playoffs. They are moving him around. Will be interesting to see how they use them all. I'm expecting mostly STs for Egbule though as a rook.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

1) DT Jerry Tillery * like the guy some and find him to be of some intrigue as a person. as a player am hoping that PFF and Steve are more on the mark than not w/his grade (monster of the Midway ?), and that he is better against the run than I had him made out to be. he does have the measurables and prolly more sand in his pants than he might need ?? and don't think he starts, as think he's a rotational guy that might start in 2020 ?? also like his intangibles, save for the tainted past of sorts. am guessing he becomes a significant contributor ??

2) FS Nasir Adderly * had clear sailing into the first round 'til the SB, where some questions 'bout his coverage/recognition skills came into question/under fire. he def has the chutzpah, and seems to have the get up and go get 'em to his game that hopefully translates into some clutch plays/tackles for the home team. love his intangibles and hopefully he can Bolt up quickly.

3) Trey Pipkins * was and still am a Yodny Cajuste guy until proven otherwise, and if he's so awful, how come he came off the board to the Pats not long after ?? we def need a backup to Okung, and whether this guy spells that or not is a whole 'nother matter. every GM busts, and usually at 'bout a rate of 50 percent or so. in the NBA, whether you lose by one (in overtime) or if you get blown out by thirtysomething, it still counts the same in the win/loss column. very much a longshot and will wish the young man well. (who pounded the table for this guy ?)

4) LB Drue Tranquill * this was/is a guy that is hard not to like. so many pluses/positives to him.... until you get to the injury history. and if I recall correctly, not exactly a menace/force against the run either. prolly a helpful player for if and when he's on the field, and no way do I pass on the both of Oruwariye and the (Stid) ham sandwich for the Golden Domer.

5) QB Easton Stick * the list of detractors on behalf of this guy is substantial. not buyin' here, which means little as it comes as no surprise, I am oft wrong/mistaken just as oft as I am fortunate/soothsayer. dude has (very) long odds ahead of him, and again not passing up on the beef for this guy w/so many questions/consternations.

6) SAM Emeke Egbule * had chanced upon this guy maybe once or twice, so not very if at all familiar w/him, and more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

7) 3T Cortez Broughton * this dude brings it and recall liking him last year/offseason early in the draft process, so he is a year wiser and all the better. he's gonna be part of the DT rotations, and similar to Isaac Rochelle last year, think he might provide similar value/contribution along the Dline ??

Tranquill and Egbule spell Pullard and Emanuel.... Tillery and Broughton spell Square and Corey.

Adderley replaces Jahleel.... add these guys to Davis on defense, and we are prolly gonna get better.

not so much for the O tho, and guessin' we'll be going big there next offseason.

easy to swallow the Carson Kool aid now, and.... think 'twas an avg or just above avg draft for them, as always hard to get past the guys we passed on.

Comment

Working...
                          X