• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    The thing that stands out when I watch the only set of highlights I could find of Cox, is that he seems to lose a lot of speed during his cuts. He is fine going straight ahead, but when he cuts, he just looks like he is standing still. It's only highlights from one game, but it is worth noting.

He is not a horrible runner, and he has good speed, but Newsome and Jackson both do a great job of getting yardage, and I am not sure NFL LB are going to let Cox run through them if they have the time to set their feet and wrap up on the tackles.

That may be something he can overcome. Given his size and athletic ability, we should give him a good long look. It would be nice to add a biggish RB or maybe give him a look at FB/Hback and see if we can get him the ball in space. A 4.42 40, the other times, he has some speed if we can find a way to use it. Also, if we are looking for a ST guy to replace Dzubnar, why not a physical RB, instead of a LB, if the RB has some upside as a RB or Hback? Anyway, it would be worth a look in TC. I like Jackson and Newsome, but we are at the point where we need to find ways to make the roster better anyway we can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc0rS594CZI
    On the other hand, if the Bolts use Cox mainly on 3rd downs and/or goal line situations between the tackles, I think he has the potential to grind out the tough yards. In watching that tape, I noticed that after being contacted, he keeps those legs chugging and keeps going forward, getting that vital extra yard or two or three. How many times have we seen MG3 get stopped for nada between the tackles? Cox might be our big, bruising back we've been looking for...

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

2019 Chargers UDFA Profile: Findlay WR Jason Moore

By Michael Peterson@ZoneTracks May 6, 2019, 8:09am PDT
      With the Chargers wide receiver room looking a bit cramped as of late, it's no surprise the Chargers passed on drafting a wideout with one of their seven picks and opted to bring in just one player at the position as a UDFA.

That lone receiver among the group is another Division II talent named Jason Moore out of Findlay University in Ohio.

With a 6-foot-3, 218-pound frame, Moore fits right in with the recent theme big-bodied receivers playing for the Chargers. As of this moment, Moore is one of seven receivers on the team that are listed at 6-foot-2 or above. Any day now, my dream of this offense turning into "basketball of turf" inches closer and closer.

During his 4-year career at Findlay, Moore utilized his size to dominate the competition, consistently showing out like a man among boys. Below are his numbers from 2015-2018:

2015 (9 starts): 38 receptions - 627 yards - 7 TDs

2016 (11 starts): 71 receptions - 1,115 yards - 15 TDs

2017 (13 starts): 65 receptions - 980 yards - 14 TDs

2018 (4 starts, suspension): 30 receptions - 495 yards - 3 TDs (For fun, he was on pace for a 82-1,361-8 stat line over a full 11-game season)

As you can plainly see, the guy has a nose for the end zone. As it was hard to find any video of Findlay University football games, you'll all have to settle for this video below:
      Not much going on here, but I bet a lot of his touchdowns are similar to this situation. The cornerback obviously fell but Moore essentially had a step on him from the get-go. He was likely on a whole different level than most of his competition.

Moore left Findlay with his name plastered all over the record books. Just to name a few, Moore graduated after becoming the all-time leader in receiving yards, receiving touchdowns, receptions, games with 100+ receiving yards (17), and holds single game records for yards (240) and touchdowns in a game (3, five times).

He was a two time first team All-GLIAC selection and even somehow managed an honorable mention nod following his final year after only playing in four games.

Moore performed at two different pro days earlier this year, one at Toledo and one at Miami (OH), and he performed quite well for a bigger receiver. Here are his measurements:
      • 40: 4.57
      • Bench: 17 reps
      • Vertical: 37 inches
      • Broad: 10' 04"
      • Short shuttle: 4.07
      • 3-Cone: 6.62

Now those last two numbers are astounding. Anything below a 7.0 in the 3-cone is amazing and he is closer to 6.5 seconds than 7. That 4.07 shuttle ain't too shabby, either.

Moore made his money on the jump ball and in contested catch situations. If I had to put money on it, I would believe there weren't too many defensive backs at the DII level that could consistently cover a a receiver of Moore's stature. In their game against Malone University, he had a pair of snags over the top of defenders that led to scores:
      The Oberlin, Ohio native likely faces one of the toughest hills to climb in terms of making the final 53-man roster. Behind the team's front three wideouts (Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Travis Benjamin), there is a log jam of young talent with Dylan Cantrell, Artavis Scott, and Andre Patton. We also can't forget the veteran Geremy Davis whom the coaching staff continues to adore.

Best case scenario is that the Chargers elect to keep maybe 5 or 6 receivers on the active roster. If Moore can manage to slide in at number six, I think that's the safest bet. At the moment, I think he's definitely worth stashing on the practice squad as a developmental guy with an upside stemming from several NFL-traits (contested catches, strong hands through contact, stop-start agility).
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 12.21.33 PM.png

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Not even sure what this guy is on about. But he says the Pipkins and Stick picks were optimal.

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 12.28.04 PM.png

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Jason Moore is best of the best at 3 Cone and Short Shuttle.

These are just the two areas where DK Metcalf is deficient.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Sounds to me that Moore should get some nice separation as a slot receiver...

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

like reading Hayden Winks.... thanx for posting,
                RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Sounds to me that Moore should get some nice separation as a slot receiver...
                  There is a chance he can challenge Artavis Scott/ Dylan Cantrell for WR#4.

Moore is not any slower than them.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Seems like a prototypical UDFA WR the Bolts find and develop. Small school, long/fast/ultra productive college career, very athletic, and will need a bit of time on the PS to develop.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                      Pretty much retired......
                      • Sep 2018
                      • JoJa
                      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Seems like a prototypical UDFA WR the Bolts find and develop. Small school, long/fast/ultra productive college career, very athletic, and will need a bit of time on the PS to develop.
                      T Will II

Comment

• WindsorUK
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Windsor, U.K.
                        • Send PM

Did the Bolts bring any slot receiver types in? The Julian Edelman, Wes Welker type?
                        At some point our group has to realize long developing pass plays to long striding WR's , especially with our suspect blocking, hasn't really gotten us anywhere.
                        Get the ball in the hands of your playmakers ASAP, and let them do their thing. I for one am tired of watching PR struggling to stay upright whilst receivers are trying to get open 25+ yards downfield.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                          Did the Bolts bring any slot receiver types in? The Julian Edelman, Wes Welker type?
                          At some point our group has to realize long developing pass plays to long striding WR's , especially with our suspect blocking, hasn't really gotten us anywhere.
                          Get the ball in the hands of your playmakers ASAP, and let them do their thing. I for one am tired of watching PR struggling to stay upright whilst receivers are trying to get open 25+ yards downfield.
                          Artavis is the top candidate.
                          Ekeler too.
                          Him n Gordon give production as receivers.
                          KA/MW can go Big Slot.
                          He can also beat press coverage.
                          MW/Cantrell are mostly boundary receivers.

Sure tackling defenses know how to stop plays just short of the first down marker.

Mix it up...keep them honest.

Comment

Working...
                          X