• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
    Did the Bolts bring any slot receiver types in? The Julian Edelman, Wes Welker type?
    At some point our group has to realize long developing pass plays to long striding WR's , especially with our suspect blocking, hasn't really gotten us anywhere.
    Get the ball in the hands of your playmakers ASAP, and let them do their thing. I for one am tired of watching PR struggling to stay upright whilst receivers are trying to get open 25+ yards downfield.
    They run a lot of crossing routes. Tyrell and Keenan did that often. Id also imagine Artavis Scott can be a slot guy too.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-07-2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Artavis is the top candidate.
      Ekeler too.
      Him n Gordon give production as receivers.
      KA/MW can go Big Slot.
      He can also beat press coverage.
      MW/Cantrell are mostly boundary receivers.

Sure tackling defenses know how to stop plays just short of the first down marker.

Mix it up...keep them honest.
      I was going to bring up the fact that we have a very good receiving group at RB. Moore has a chance at slot. They'll try several combinations in OTAs, camp, preseason. No question that the quick outlet receiver is a must. We have to make them defend the entire field. No return to Norv.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I was going to bring up the fact that we have a very good receiving group at RB. Moore has a chance at slot. They'll try several combinations in OTAs, camp, preseason. No question that the quick outlet receiver is a must. We have to make them defend the entire field. No return to Norv.
        Sure hope not...can't stand it when we send MG3 up the gut for nada...repeatedly...

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
          Day One...
          • Mar 2019
          • Brentwood, 94513
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Sure hope not...can't stand it when we send MG3 up the gut for nada...repeatedly...
          As much as we hate that play, remember, someone you need to let the offense hit the defense. Even LT back in the day, ran those plays.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post

As much as we hate that play, remember, someone you need to let the offense hit the defense. Even LT back in the day, ran those plays.
            If you're going to send a RB up the gut, at LEAST have the QB under center. That way, it makes the play a lot less predictable. The QB can fake to the FB, then hand it off to the tailback, but the LB's still don't know which side the play is going until the last second. A LOT better chance of success. But this mindless Rivers in the shotgun, then the obvious handoff to MG3 up the gut is SO predictable, SO easy to stack up and defend...I said in an earlier post that Whiz needs to get a lot more creative with different, less predictable formations, motion, misdirection, fakes, etc.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

If you're going to send a RB up the gut, at LEAST have the QB under center. That way, it makes the play a lot less predictable. The QB can fake to the FB, then hand it off to the tailback, but the LB's still don't know which side the play is going until the last second. A LOT better chance of success. But this mindless Rivers in the shotgun, then the obvious handoff to MG3 up the gut is SO predictable, SO easy to stack up and defend...I said in an earlier post that Whiz needs to get a lot more creative with different, less predictable formations, motion, misdirection, fakes, etc.
              And yet we were 6th in the NFL in scoring and 11th in total yards, so it's not like the offense was a total disaster. If we can improvement in our guard play and Tevi continues to progress as they seem to think he will, our O will just get better.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

And yet we were 6th in the NFL in scoring and 11th in total yards, so it's not like the offense was a total disaster. If we can improvement in our guard play and Tevi continues to progress as they seem to think he will, our O will just get better.
                Tevi was a huge and immediate improvement on Barksdale's run blocking, somewhat better v pass rush....and he's getting better, albeit inconsistently. Feeney? I thought he was a better player than he showed in 2018. He definitely needs to show improvement to avoid becoming a backup. There are 7 OG/C in camp not named Pouncey, Schofield or Feeney along with 4 OTs, Pipkins, Scott, Crabtree & Camper behind Okung, Tevi.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Against MOST teams, our offense was fine. But, I'm thinking about how to beat the Cheatriots...vs. the Cheats, we need to have a whole new level of play design, involving fakes, motion, misdirection, new formations, trickery...Belicheat & Co. are just too smart at coaching up their players to recognize our tired old set of plays...

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

On the other hand, if the Bolts use Cox mainly on 3rd downs and/or goal line situations between the tackles, I think he has the potential to grind out the tough yards. In watching that tape, I noticed that after being contacted, he keeps those legs chugging and keeps going forward, getting that vital extra yard or two or three. How many times have we seen MG3 get stopped for nada between the tackles? Cox might be our big, bruising back we've been looking for...
                    I don't think he would be a very good goalline or short-yardage runner. He has size, but that only counts for anything if he can get going and hit the hole hard and fast (really the same thing). Again you watch him, he tends to cut and lose speed when he is coming up on contact, and that is the WRONG thing to do almost 100% of the time unless you can juke like Barry Sanders.

I think most of why MG3 gets stopped between the tackles is that he needs to be allowed to get going, and he can't because we allow so much penetration. MG3 is a very good goalline and short yardage guy, but the inconsistency is from the OL. That isn't going to stop happening because we get a bigger back. If the guy can't accelerate adn get to the hole, it will happen more, not less, regardless of the player size.

Remember Jermaine Fazande. He is a pretty good example of a big back who was a shitty short yardage and goalline guy.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I don't think he would be a very good goalline or short-yardage runner. He has size, but that only counts for anything if he can get going and hit the hole hard and fast (really the same thing). Again you watch him, he tends to cut and lose speed when he is coming up on contact, and that is the WRONG thing to do almost 100% of the time unless you can juke like Barry Sanders.

I think most of why MG3 gets stopped between the tackles is that he needs to be allowed to get going, and he can't because we allow so much penetration. MG3 is a very good goalline and short yardage guy, but the inconsistency is from the OL. That isn't going to stop happening because we get a bigger back. If the guy can't accelerate adn get to the hole, it will happen more, not less, regardless of the player size.

Remember Jermaine Fazande. He is a pretty good example of a big back who was a shitty short yardage and goalline guy.
                      So Steve, what you're saying in essence, to use a physics analogy, is that in a short yardage situation, as long as we get decent blocking, inertia is more important than mass...

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Runs up the gut for nothing = bad. Runs up the gut for 1st downs = great. I was thinking of Norv's majority of slow developing deep pass routes, high % sacks v completions.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I am still looking for something that Fazande was good for. I got nothing. It was the end of the Betheard era.

Marcus Allen was an awesome short yardage runner who looking at him you would never think he could do it. Tall, skinny, ran upright. But had a knack.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X