• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
    If the draft order stays the same over final 2 weeks.

1.Bengals: J.Burrow-QB, LSU

2.Giants: C.Young-Edge, Ohio St.

3.Dolphins: J.Herbert-QB, Oregon

4.Redskins: J.Jeudy-WR, Alabama

5.Cardinals: A.Thomas-OT, Georgia

6.Lions: D.Brown-DT, Auburn

7.Jaguars: J.Okudah-CB, Ohio St.

8.Falcons: AJ.Espenesa-DE, Iowa

9.Jets: C.Lamb-WR, Oklahoma

10.Chargers: PICK???

Tua-QB, Alabama

Wirfs-OT, Iowa
    Jackson-OT, USC
    Biadasz-OL, Wisconsin

Shenault-WR, Colorado
    Ruggs-WR, Alabama
    Higgins-WR, Clemson

Simmons-LB, Clemson
    Murray-LB, Oklahoma
    Moses-LB, Alabama

Delpit-S, LSU
    Fulton-CB, LSU
    Adebo-CB, Stanford
    Diggs-CB, Alabama

Kinlaw-DL, S.Carolina
    GrossMatos-DE, Penn St.

Swift-RB, Georgia
    Taylor-RB, Wisconsin
    tua
    wirfs
    simmons

in that order, it tua checks out.

would love either wirfs or simmons

if tillery steps up, simmons would give them an elite starting d that not
    even bradley's over cautiousness could screw up.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

tua
      wirfs
      simmons

in that order, it tua checks out.

would love either wirfs or simmons

if tillery steps up, simmons would give them an elite starting d that not
      even bradley's over cautiousness could screw up.
      I might go Wirfs over Tua...but if it's time to pick that next guy? If thats the determination they come to at the end of the season? Then Tua there could be a hell of a break. But I definitely sit him a year...behind whoever.
      The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

if I'm going to guess at a semblance of what the Bolts' draft might look like in 2020.... 'tis along these lines:

1) OT Prince Tega Wanogho
        2) QB Jalen Hurts
        3) CB Cameron Dantzler
        4) WR Collin Johnson
        5) RB Clyde Edwards Helaire
        6) DT Benito Jones
        7) S Alohi Gilman
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• La Costa Boy
          Pretty much retired......
          • Sep 2018
          • JoJa
          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
          If the draft order stays the same over final 2 weeks.

1.Bengals: J.Burrow-QB, LSU

2.Giants: C.Young-Edge, Ohio St.

3.Dolphins: J.Herbert-QB, Oregon

4.Redskins: J.Jeudy-WR, Alabama

5.Cardinals: A.Thomas-OT, Georgia

6.Lions: D.Brown-DT, Auburn

7.Jaguars: J.Okudah-CB, Ohio St.

8.Falcons: AJ.Epenesa-DE, Iowa

9.Jets: C.Lamb-WR, Oklahoma

10.Chargers: PICK???

Tua-QB, Alabama

Wirfs-OT, Iowa
          Jackson-OT, USC
          Biadasz-OL, Wisconsin

Shenault-WR, Colorado
          Ruggs-WR, Alabama

Simmons-LB, Clemson
          Murray-LB, Oklahoma

Delpit-S, LSU

Fulton-CB, LSU
          Adebo-CB, Stanford
          Diggs-CB, Alabama

Kinlaw-DL, S.Carolina
          GrossMatos-DE, Penn St.

Swift-RB, Georgia
          Taylor-RB, Wisconsin
          Wirfs was my knee jerk "YES" when I read this. Interesting to see if Tua entices somebody ahead of us or a trade up. Who might that push down??...??...

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
            if I'm going to guess at a semblance of what the Bolts' draft might look like in 2020.... 'tis along these lines:

2) QB Jalen Hurts
            3) CB Cameron Dantzler
            4) WR Collin Johnson
            6) DT Benito Jones
            7) S Alohi Gilman
            recently read that the Chargers will apparently be looking OT and CB in the draft, so me suspex that will be prelude to two of the three early picks, and given that Tommy T. has drafted four/fifths of his Oline, can only surmise that he will be looking LT in this draft, and as he can't exactly hang his hat on his Oline comeuppance of late, me and surely plenty other folks would speculate that he is best off drafting LT earlier than later.... hence the suggestion of Tega Wanogho (another developmental tackle prospect), albeit think it would be doubly irresponsible not to go into the FA market wholeheartedly and without the intention of securing as many quality short term contracts along the Oline as possible, i.e. Whitworth, Conklin and Quinton Spain, and/or.... ??

and Burrows would be nice, and.... let's be real.... Tua is an injury colossus and hopefully is off the board before us anyways, Herbert is an upside down cake w/too many dissenting opinions on his resume, and Eason is the proverbial toy cannon that has yet to settle into a proven groove, and even tho' the any of 'em might prove to be a solid pickup for the LAC ??

enter Jalen Hurts, who has to be the front runner on AL's wish list, not to mention he is the obvious fit w/Tyrod and Easton, skill set/tool box wise, and he has the production and years in the college bank.... he is worth the risk, the only question is he your first round gambit, or does he last 'til the top of the second, where many of those types (Kaep & Co.) w/?s do, or are you perhaps overly cavalier/brave and take the chance that he's still there round three, let alone the suggestion that he'll be there day three ??

personally given that he's a dual threat/running QB, and subject to the history/scrutiny of the similar QBs in the NFL, wherein their NFL careers come to premature end, would (again personally) let the football gods that be decide as to whether he should be a Charger or not, i.e. will make sure I get my (left or nose) tackle round one, and if and when Hurts is still there when we select round two, will nab him then.... am not gonna reach for him just outside the top ten, and not gonna see just how far my (Jarrett Stidham type) luck can take me.

re: Cameron Dantzler, the Chargers were once upon a time interested in him @CB, and if it's not him, we do need someone to spell Trevor Williams for next season, so CB earlier than later makes sense.

plenty of wideouts to choose from as well, and guessin' that our FO won't be able to help themselves from indulging @least once, and w/the intention of spelling Travis Benjamin, and/or Dontrelle there ??

and would wonder if Edwards Helaire makes it to day three/round five, and if he doesn't, surely there will be talent enough on the board to spell MG3, albeit speaking for myself, would wish for a similar back in that he is a three down back and can do the all of block, catch and run (between the tackles).

Benito Jones is just a name, albeit he would prolly spell Square as things stand now.

and Alohi Gilman, is not just the proverbial Golden Domer for team Tommy John, he also could spell AP if for some reason he ends up somewhere else ??
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

2) QB Jalen Hurts
              3) CB Cameron Dantzler
              4) WR Collin Johnson
              6) DT Benito Jones
              7) S Alohi Gilman
              and just to be clear, the above is the gist of in which direction I surmise the Chargers FO brass will be headed re: this 2020 draft, and.... in no way does that resemble my personal preferences:

1) NT Derrick Brown, OT Tristan Wirfs, WIL Isaiah Simmons, WR CeeDee Lamb, RB D'Andre Swift
              2) RB D'Andre Swift, WILLIS Hamsah Nasirildeen
              3) NT Leki Fotu, OG Trey Smith
              4) SR Aaron Fuller
              5) CB Erick Stokes
              6) QB Riley Neal
              7) CB Nevelle Clark

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Derrick Brown * personally think he should/could be off the board early.... as early as three overall if Miami somehow leapfrogs NYG and wisens up to Chase Young rather than Tua, and there is the possibility that before we pick that someone like Detroit, Jax or Carolina could nab him as well, and.... there are also compelling reasons why they might look elsewhere in the draft to fill other/more pressing needs ?? re: the Chargers, think it would be complete folly to pass on him for any of the OTs, as there are just too many ?s around them as a lock stock 'n barrel safest pick to be made scenario.... coupla big factors for me are one, Super Bowl or bust.... if I was GM, would darn sure be signing Danny Shelton asap, and.... D. Brown can play anywhere along the line according to some, and def can play 3T next to Shelton if and when that were the case.... the other thing, and perhaps the biggest factor after my years following the draft.... am tired of busting or being disappointed by drafting for need, and really think GMs separate themselves by bust or hit rate.... hopefully D. Brown musters enough ?s in enough GMs minds to drop to us in round one, and.... really don't think there is much question that he will be a longtime NFL starter, and in our case make a noticeable SB contribution right off the bat in commanding double teams and making more space for Joey 'n Mel.

Tristan Wirfs * like his intangibles, like what he brings to the Chargers, and think he's a fairly safe gambit, albeit again if I'm GM, am darn making sure that I do my darnedest to sign Oline in FA and not be reliant on the draft for my SB bound starting Oline…. an Olineman would be nice, but only if Brown is off the board, as don't think any of 'em will contribute to a SB run as much as an IDL.

Isaiah Simmons * not as studied on this guy as some others, and do think we've got ourselves a ? on defense @WIL ?? am disposed to go D ahead of O as can't say it wouldn't be pretty darn cool/fun watching this guy in the same defensive backfield as the others guys we've got so far, and.... as will not be surprised if the both of Jatavis and AP are not resigned, and.... Tranquill is a (major) injury concern, and not sure what has been/is going on w/Kyzir back there ??

CeeDee Lamb * personally am hard pressed to pony up near $20m for any receiver, as not sure there has ever been one of those that has led his team to a SB appearance, and has rather hamstrung w/the cap and more prevented said team from reaching the promised land, hence my interest in a Keenan Allen replacement, and an immediate upgrade to our #3 receiver position.... again as w/all the above am more interested in their likely bust/hit probability, and just don't see the likes of Lamb/Simmons et al being anything but an extremely solid addition to things.

D'Andre Swift * this is my guy as really don't see much of anything that I don't like 'bout the guy, and it seems pretty well documented that a rookie RB can def impact your fortunes their first year outta the gate, and as mentioned before, am hoping for a SB appearance, and have little interest in adding a maybe OT, when I can get just as good or better odds in FA, and can add an RB that will make a (huge) difference in our O and hopefully win column.... this guy can block, catch and run, and certainly seems like a Charger to me.

bottom line, am not drafting for need per se, and am more concentrating on players that I like and think they are the safest and bestest gambits in making a run at a SB appearance this next season.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

round two....

D'Andre Swift * personally eye don't see it, but neither did I expect Adderley to last 'til our pick round two last year.... some mocks have him into the middle of round two, where we will likely select @fortysomething.... would def be a wow, and my dream scenario to get Brown day one and Swift after that.... don't care about our QB situation.... PR is plenty good enough (see Stan Humphries) and no matter how incredible Jalen Hurts is re: intangibles.... dude is a grade A1 risk.... don't see that w/Swift, and again as GM, would rather put my chips in on a very solid get, rather than drafting for need and unto fan base pressure or media consensus.... MG3 should not be back as a Charger and hopin' we can even upgrade the position (here).

Hamsah Nasirildeen * this guy is a good example of a pick that makes no sense, as we have Derwin at SS, and have oodles of sub package guys as well, and.... don't care.... if this guy makes it to fortysomething, not sure I see a better get, and w/less risk/downside, as similar to Swift, not sure I see too many weaknesses to his repertoire ?? rather safe than sorry, and sorry AL 'bout your QB (Jalen Hurts), if I'm team Tommy John, am tired of falling short of the mark, and am instead getting guys w/strong intangibles that make good Chargers, and have the best chance of being very solid in the NFL.

not interested in a grade B Olineman here, not interested in a cave into fan pressure QB flavor of the year either, and not into a project that is really scary no matter how much your lead scout pounds the table for him.... (let him pound sand/kick rox)

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

round three....

Leki Fotu * this is where things break down a bit, as am not overly studied on these guys, and the history of certain NTs in the draft def has its share of goose eggs.... that said I like this guy, and he is my idea of what a Chargers IDL is, and.... still signing Danny Shelton in FA, and let this guy play as his understudy.

Trey Smith * if I'm going to take a chance on a guy w/the pulmonary embolism situation, it's gonna be this guy rather than Russell, as this guy seems to be something of/in the Marcus McNeill/Roman Oben mold, as (really) like his intangibles, and think he's a guy where there is little question re: his intangibles/talent, and rather his risk is the perceived health concerns ?? not a slam dunk, but me suspex he would clearly be the best lineman on the board @this point in the process, and think history shows that the odds are on the Chargers' side if we took the risk here @seventysomething day two.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

day three....

Aaron Fuller * again not overly studied the further we get down the board, and.... from what (little) eye can tell, this guy could well be exactly what the Chargers are looking for.... as in spectacular ?? sure, we could go out and get the proverbial PR taller than not wideout and let Keenan work from the slot, but that guy is not overly evident to me here, and really like this guy talent wise, as again, really don't see him as a question of talent, and more availability.... get the guy that isn't gonna bust.... needs can wait (albeit obviously we can use an SR/slot receiver)

Eric Stokes * another virtual unknown to myself, albeit there is something 'bout this guy that screams baller/player to me, and would rather bring in someone like him now than spend an earlier pick @CB predicated on need rather than getting the guy that can really make a difference on this team, regardless of need/position.... Stokes has got my attention, and again like him better than most anyone else @this juncture ??

Riley Neal * admittedly this guy has given most every draftnik/pundit reason to pass on him, and wouldn't be surprised to see him last 'til UDFA/round 8 of the draft, as he plain and simple hasn't gotten it done.... @Vandy.... he does have the measurables, and he does flash, and did pretty good and well enough for himself before the SEC.... he is a huge risk, and.... like his intangibles, and this is where I'd take a risk on a QB, rather than force our hand day one or two ??

Nevelle Clark * 'nother risk regarding character rather than talent, as dude is apparently a puffer, and until the rules change in the NFL, it could well be a hindrance for him, and obviously any team that drafts him, and.... dude has bulk as a DB, and again really like his intangibles and what he brings to the table.... personally still feel good 'bout these picks/selection, but obviously day three is where I am more inclined to take risks, and more draft for need, albeit not just completely drafting for need, i.e. receiving TE, OG, or.... ??

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

My after week 16 offseason ideas and draft plan without trades, etc.....

Our QB situation is a complete unknown so I am calculating going QB in 2021. Also the health of both Pouncey and Okung unknown and are “hopes” at best. Pouncey was inconsistent before a serious neck injury. Okung if healthy would be a huge boon. I will be operating under the scenario that both will not play. I’m also going to assume we get a 4th round comp pick in 2020.

Retain with new contracts Hunter Henry, Adrian Phillips, Derek Watt, Sean Culkin, and all RFA/ERFA. Extend Bosa, SupaMel, Rochell, King, and Ekeler.
                        Hire Joseph Brady as OC. Hire Rex Ryan as DC.

Free Agent market.
                        OT market quickly gets significantly over priced and our pursuit ends early.
                        Sign OC/OG Graham Glasgow.
                        Sign NT Michael Pierce.
                        Sign CB Darqueze Dennard.

2020 DRAFT........

1) Isaiah Simmons (OLB) CLEM 6’ 4” 230#
                        - incredible instincts, ballhawk, absolute uber athlete, length, range, insane tackler in open field or close quarters, explosive blitzer, creates turnovers, leader, cover TEs/WRs/RBs, needs to improve block deconstruction. This kid, like Derwin just bigger, can play everything except DT. He will never come off the field. Can change games defensively.

2) Trey Adams (OT) UW 6’ 8” 314# (assuming all medicals come back clean)
                        - huge dude with wingspan, length, huge hands provide brawny grip strength, wide balanced base, excellent fundamentals/mechanics, power in hand strikes, and obtains good depth in kickslide. Will need to continue to work on hand placement, staying engaged to 2nd level defenders in run game, hip drive flexibility, and inside power counters. Without injury history top 20 guy.

3) Jeff Gladney (CB) TCU 6’ 183#
                        - electric speed and acceleration, good length, flexibility, elite ballskills, advanced route recognition IQ, a true gambler, explosive leaping ability, willing quality tackler, looks bigger than listed weight on 2019 tape, sloppy tight footwork yet still excellent COD, grabby at TOR, mistimed jumps allow taller receivers to highpoint. Elite speed at CB to match up in man concepts. Like to see him play about 190#.

4A) Ke’Shawn Vaughn (RB) VANDY 5’ 10” 218#
                        - excellent vision, burst, elite contact balance, tough, driven to succeed, strong leg drive, ball security, speed to get corner & EZ, good hands and route execution, decisive cutting agility but needs to be more patient (comes from lousy inconsistent blocking), quality passpro skillset. Needs to improve identifying blitz scheme quicker, develop patience/hesitation step, and pass game understanding. Love this kid.

4B) Yasir Durant (OT) MIZZOU 6’ 7” 330#
                        - Big, physical, kodiak with length, athleticism, power, and a nasty FINISHER’s demeanor. Light feet, wide base, length to extend arc, power through hips, destroys 2nd level defenders, big mitts provide torque power thru grip strength, not fast but covers ground quickly upto 10-15 yards, decent lateral mobility, excellent flexibility for big dude, when sits in anchor with leverage = can’t be moved. Needs to improve overall core strength which will lead to dominant results. Couple minor technical issues that are coachable in kickslide and handstrike placement/timing.

5) Adam Trautman (TE) DAYTON 6’ 6” 256#
                        - Big, athletic, high football IQ (former QB), small schooler who grew into completely dominating his division. Good route stems from inline, slot, and boundary. Shows excellent hands, body control, concentration through catch window, RAC ability, redzone weapon & 1st down producer. Willing blocker in form, tenacity, strength, and attitude. Level of competition, toughness, grit, and play speed will be things to watch at Senior Bowl week.

6) Josiah Coatney (NT/DT) OLE MISS 6’ 4” 325#
                        - stout, agile, big man with some interior rush capabilities who played anywhere from 0-5 tech. Plays with outstanding leverage and possess quality length to disengage and make stops. Non stop motor, relentless, average burst/get-off but can reset LOS with power & leverage, effective stalematting double teams. Can let eyes betray block scheme diagnoses, doesn’t feel screens early, needs to improve working 1/2 man in 1on1s.

7) Joe Reed (WR/RS) UVA 6’ 1” 215#
                        - big time speed and acceleration, can eliminate angles, produced huge plays in return game throughout career, improved as a receiver over the last 3 seasons. Shows strong hands, concentration through catch point, elite body control/field vision/acceleration. Provides RAC all day, flexibility in run game, ST big play ability, and vertical threat. Development needing in route tree/stems and timing.

Vision Recap....

ROSTER

QB = ?, Taylor, Stick
                        RB = Vaughn, Ekeler, Jackson, Watt
                        TE = Henry, Trautman, Culkin, Green (Volert)
                        WR = Slayer, MWill, Reed, Scott, Moore, Cantrell (UDFAs)
                        IOL = Glasgow, Lamp, Feeney, QBerry, TScott
                        OT = Adams, Durant, Pipkins, Tevi *

DE/LEO = Bosa, SupaMel, Rochell, Nwosu
                        DT/NT = Pierce, Jones, Tillery, Coatney
                        LB = Simmons, White, Tranquil, Perryman, Egbule, Dzubner
                        CB = Hayward, MDavis, DKing, Gladney, Dennard, Facyson
                        DS = James, Jenkins, Adderly, Phillips, Teamer

PK= Badgley
                        P = Long
                        LS - Mazza

* 4th OT should be converted to (OG/OT). Tevi, TScott, or Durant could make quality OGs. Lots of position versatility depth.

COORDINATORS

Offensively = creative, opportunistic, deceptive, COMMITMENT to the running game, multiple screen designs, PA and change of pocket location

Defensively = aggressive, sound fundamentally, multi blitz/coverage concepts, isolate elite pass rushers, produce TURNOVERS and 3rd down STOPS.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Oh, you liked my Trey Adams idea ? j/k.

Thanks ninja for a professional grade write up.

I still like Ruggs and have an expectation that Okung, Pouncey and Rivers will be back.

In Rivers case, that is to my chagrin.

Chargers failed him ten years ago running, but it's time.

Re your two big OTs, my question is will we be running Pat Meyer blocking concepts next year ?
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X