• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

I just accept that if Tua appears to be recovering, it will cost the Bolts at least a 2nd to move up to get him. And that’s if he doesn’t become the “hot” name in the draft.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• glutton4Bolts
      glutton for punishment
      • Jan 2019
      • Lake Arrowhead, CA
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

This is exactly the sort of scenario that scares the shit out of me...that our front office will make an irrational and desperate move in light of our Grand Opening next season...can't reach Burrow, but what if they panic and spend another first to move ahead of Miami to take Tua...who will probably sell a few tickets, name and curiosity alone...before possibly turning into an injury bust? I have a hard time seeing the Chargers having a responsible, team building, but boring draft, considering the big move into the stadium this year...

Hell, I can even understand them wanting to make a big splash, attract some fandom...sell some tickets...but very concerned what these types of moves will mean 3 yrs down the road...
      If Tua can't hold up with that OL in college then I shudder to think of how he will survive w/ our terrible one in the NFL. But this team needs a QB of the future... it is the most important piece... whether we hit it right or not will be the most telling aspect of where we are 3 years from now. Tua has a world of talent but I am quite scared of his injury bust factor. Not sure how the QBs will rank by the time the draft roles around.... Best case scenario is that we value a QB more than anyone else and actually are able to trade down to get him and get another high selection in the process to spend on an OT. Alas, we are far more likely to move up and still get the wrong QB... if you go by the numbers then less than half of these 1st round QBs end up being studs.... and it makes matters a whole lot worse when they have a terrible OL in front of them. When o when are the Chargers going to finally invest in a great OL? It has been the source of our woes for so long now. Perhaps we should put the selection of a high QB off another season?... move down to garner extra picks and load up with OL beef. Then we sit thru another poor season and hope for a guy like Lawrence in 2021. It is just all so depressing. This is the 1st season of my life that I just lost interest and didn't watch most of the games.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        I just accept that if Tua appears to be recovering, it will cost the Bolts at least a 2nd to move up to get him. And that’s if he doesn’t become the “hot” name in the draft.
        I plan on enjoying watching the inevitable drafting of Tua, barring a major setback of course
        some will admirably resist until the end
        others will gradually understated and accept and even root for it
        I simply don’t trust this coaching staff to develop any quarterback sufficiently, so when easy-to-see talent at the most important position comes within reach, we better make a damn splash and secure him, despite the injury risk. It’s a calculated risk considering the talent.

I also think some are being unfair towards Tua, a lot of criticisms are shared among other prospects that many are willing to pull the trigger on, besides just injury risk.
        the Lamar Jackson effect if you will.
        I think objectively you can compare Burrow with Tua as football players, injuries aside. Given that, I wouldn’t expect Burrow to be off many peoples draft boards if he had the same injuries/longevity/prognosis.
        I have a feeling many would still want to trade a up to get Burrow. For some reason it doesn’t bother Burrow fans that hes had 1 fantastic season compared to Tuas consistency since the championship against Georgia
        peole say Tua had ballers to play with, wth would you call LSUs offense??
        people ignore the Joe Brady effect, perhaps he had nothing to do with taking college football by storm for 1 (again) one season!!
        nope, no worries, the obvious first overall, let’s trade 3 first and more to get him.
        meanwhile, a equitable (id argue superior) talent is on the road to recovery and has been battle tested twice as long and already played through nagging and major injuries.
        id also argue that as much as the draft is a crapshoot, having so much faith between comparable players as to advocate trading so much for one over the other is just silly. If you’re still scared by the injuries that’s understandable, but don’t turn around and want to draft a banged up OT in the second round because “it’s just a second”. Injuries are part of the game, we’ve been spoiled by having an absolute machine at qb for 16 years, but you plan for injury and prepare with depth/rehab, not just sit on your ass hoping to land another Rivers. In general, careers will be shorter (Luck) so hoping to draft a qb and have them forever isn’t as good a strategy as it once was. Draft qbs every 4 years. Passrushers every other year.
        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I plan on enjoying watching the inevitable drafting of Tua, barring a major setback of course
          I simply don’t trust this coaching staff to develop any quarterback sufficiently, so when easy-to-see talent at the most important position comes within reach, we better make a damn splash and secure him, despite the injury risk. It’s a calculated risk considering the talent.

I also think some are being unfair towards Tua, a lot of criticisms are shared among other prospects that many are willing to pull the trigger on, besides just injury risk.
          I think objectively you can compare Burrow with Tua as football players, injuries aside. Given that, I wouldn’t expect Burrow to be off many peoples draft boards if he had the same injuries/longevity/prognosis.
          I have a feeling many would still want to trade a up to get Burrow. For some reason it doesn’t bother Burrow fans that hes had 1 fantastic season compared to Tuas consistency since the championship against Georgia
          people ignore the Joe Brady effect, perhaps he had nothing to do with taking college football by storm for 1 (again) one season!!
          nope, no worries, the obvious first overall, let’s trade 3 first and more to get him.
          meanwhile, a equitable (id argue superior) talent is on the road to recovery and has been battle tested twice as long and already played through nagging and major injuries.
          id also argue that as much as the draft is a crapshoot, having so much faith between comparable players as to advocate trading so much for one over the other is just silly. If you’re still scared by the injuries that’s understandable, but don’t turn around and want to draft a banged up OT in the second round because “it’s just a second”. Injuries are part of the game, we’ve been spoiled by having an absolute machine at qb for 16 years, but you plan for injury and prepare with depth/rehab, not just sit on your ass hoping to land another Rivers. In general, careers will be shorter (Luck) so hoping to draft a qb and have them forever isn’t as good a strategy as it once was. Draft qbs every 4 years. Passrushers every other year.
          Doesn't even make sense.

Why would we want Burrow if he was hurt as often as Tua? And if he were, he wouldn't have the numbers he has.
          Fact is he hasn't been and why many like him. He was by far the best QB this year and he was healthy for every game.

No doubt Tua has talent but he has been a China doll, isn't a running QB,.... but he is mobile.

But now being mobile, will that diminish? Will he break in half avoiding a rush and getting dragged bown by a 300.lb DL?
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-31-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

Compelling arguements...you state it well...I find Tua worrisome, but will jump right on board if we take him...I just don't want to panic and trade a pick for him as well, but we will see. Personally, I hope Tua gets back to full health, and Herbert nails the process, and both look to be solid prospects going forward...it can only help us. If both are good, we may have a shot at one if we want it, or our pick suddenly becomes more valuable for trade back, or with 3 qbs going in front of us possibly, that means we get the 3rd or better non-QB.
            The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Doesn't even make sense.

Why would we want Burrow if he was hurt as often as Tua? And if he were, he wouldn't have the numbers he has.
              Fact is he hasn't been and why many like him. He was by far the best QB this year and he was healthy for every game.

No doubt Tua has talent but he has been a China doll, isn't a running QB,.... but he is mobile.

But now being mobile, will that dismish? Will he break in half avoiding a rush and getting dragged bown by a 300.lb DL?
              my criticism wouldn’t apply to you perhaps
              im simply arguing that people are putting too much emphasis on Tua’s injuries vs other prospects. I’m calling out biases reminiscent of Lamar Jackson.
              Burrow was also healthy in 2018 and had a chance to put up similar numbers and didn’t. Compared to Tua who has been consistent even in spot duty as a freshman.
              and yes, I’m comfortable with Tua as a primarily pocket passer with good mobility.
              Even before the major injury Tua was operating from the pocket, making absolutely great decisions and displaying elite accuracy.
              G-Ro knows.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by glutton4Bolts View Post

If Tua can't hold up with that OL in college then I shudder to think of how he will survive w/ our terrible one in the NFL. But this team needs a QB of the future... it is the most important piece... whether we hit it right or not will be the most telling aspect of where we are 3 years from now. Tua has a world of talent but I am quite scared of his injury bust factor. Not sure how the QBs will rank by the time the draft roles around.... Best case scenario is that we value a QB more than anyone else and actually are able to trade down to get him and get another high selection in the process to spend on an OT. Alas, we are far more likely to move up and still get the wrong QB... if you go by the numbers then less than half of these 1st round QBs end up being studs.... and it makes matters a whole lot worse when they have a terrible OL in front of them. When o when are the Chargers going to finally invest in a great OL? It has been the source of our woes for so long now. Perhaps we should put the selection of a high QB off another season?... move down to garner extra picks and load up with OL beef. Then we sit thru another poor season and hope for a guy like Lawrence in 2021. It is just all so depressing. This is the 1st season of my life that I just lost interest and didn't watch most of the games.
                More than half are overvalued: teams get desperate with quarterbacks and base a lot on projection...seeing something that they think they can develop to a certain level.

I've seen enough from Burrow & Eason to be fairly confident they won't bust: they just need to experience reading NFL defenses.

Same with tua, only you have the health factor.

With Herbert, like Josh Allen, you have to hope he can start being more accurate. Josh Allen flashed like crazy at Wyoming when he was on the move.

With Hurts, you have to start projecting a bit more. He doesn't seem comfortable in the pocket too long. Since he's started for 3+ years, you have to wonder if its just him.
                Maybe things are still going too fast for him to process; maybe he's still uncomfortable making certain throws. He flashes too, of course - so that's why you might consider him.

With Love, you have to take the athleticism and arm strength and start from scratch. He's years away from competence.

With Newman, you start seeing uncorrectable flaws - his footwork is Cardale Jonesish.

With Fromm, you are looking at a game manager type ( i might be wrong..i'd really need to watch more of him & the others)

With Mond, ask Wu-dai......he sees something.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

my criticism wouldn’t apply to you perhaps
                  im simply arguing that people are putting too much emphasis on Tua’s injuries vs other prospects. I’m calling out biases reminiscent of Lamar Jackson.
                  Burrow was also healthy in 2018 and had a chance to put up similar numbers and didn’t. Compared to Tua who has been consistent even in spot duty as a freshman.
                  and yes, I’m comfortable with Tua as a primarily pocket passer with good mobility.
                  Even before the major injury Tua was operating from the pocket, making absolutely great decisions and displaying elite accuracy.
                  In defense of burrow (which i really don't like to do), he had very little experience as quarterback (at the division I NCAA level) his first year at LSU, and little experience with the LSU offense.

People might take that into consideration when evaluating Eason....who had a bit more experience.

Comment

• Caslon
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

If I were TT, I'd go 6-10 while building up the O-line and see what next years QB draft class looks like at pick #8. Meanwhile I'd keep Rivers for a one year deal.
                    He'll go for it. The worst thing the Chargers can do is pass on the O-line needs and draft a QB. They won't get a good one and therefore be back at square one next year

Pass this year at QB and take whatever record. Build for the future, not out of desperation. Ramp up the O-line and see what Rivers-Taylor-Stick can do with it.

Heh, we can forget about TT drafting the best player available. He does that and I will seek him out. Show up at his place of residence.
                    Last edited by Caslon; 12-31-2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                      If I were TT, I'd go 6-10 while building up the O-line and see what next years QB draft class looks like at pick #8.
                      I’d be fine with postponing qb IF we can sign Bosa long term this offseason.
                      my concern has been keeping and attracting quality players to a team with 16 road games.
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

I’d be fine with postponing qb IF we can sign Bosa long term this offseason.
                        my concern has been keeping and attracting quality players to a team with 16 road games.
                        Bosa goes where the money is. So if we don't keep Rivers, the Spanii need to drop a huge contract on him.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                          If I were TT, I'd go 6-10 while building up the O-line and see what next years QB draft class looks like at pick #8. Meanwhile I'd keep Rivers for a one year deal.
                          He'll go for it. The worst thing the Chargers can do is pass on the O-line needs and draft a QB. They won't get a good one and therefore be back at square one next year

Pass this year at QB and take whatever record. Build for the future, not out of desperation. Ramp up the O-line and see what Rivers-Taylor-Stick can do with it.

Heh, we can forget about TT drafting the best player available. He does that and I will seek him out. Show up at his place of residence.
                          If I were TT and going into "O Line Build" mode in 2020, I'm doing anything I can without getting banned by the league and stripped of a #1 pick to tank every game. I can't start Philip, he'll win 9+ games with a great OL. Cardale, pack your duffel, your my starter! I take Lawrence at the #1 pick, after I climbed over (er, under) every team in my way and I'm on my way to dominate until the '30s. He won't be there at pick #2 and he's the guy to build my LA dynasty atop.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X