• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yubaking
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Now that the collegiate players have declared for the draft, it is time for me to again revise my thoughts about this year's draft.

It was disappointing to see that Ronnie Stanley, Spencer Drango and Devonte Fields all decided to return to school. That took what appears to be the only two strong pass protecting week one starting RTs off of the board and also took away our chance to land a guy like Fields as a late round sleeper pick.

This means that we can still improve two positions (ROT and OG) by adding only one additional player, but now that will likely have to be done through free agency. By signing Bulaga, we can kick Fluker inside, which should improve us at OG as well as at ROT.

In addition to this, I am hoping we sign Iupati to play LG for us and Jared Odrick to play 3-4 DE. I think we need more speed at WR, so I would try to sign Torrey Smith as well. I think the money needed to sign Iupati and Bulaga plus what we need to re-sign our own FAs will pretty much kill any chance we might have had to sign Justin Houston.

In any event, I would like us to re-sign: Royal, Ry. Mathews, Flowers, Dunlap, Gilchrist, Wright, Gachkar, Ri. Mathews and maybe T. Robinson.

Assuming the OL FA moves described above take place (that is, that we only suck ass at center after FA), I would consider drafting as follows:

1. Danny Shelton, NT, Washington--Shelton's player comparison is Vince Wilfork. Although I have some reservations about his value at #17, I am sick of us not having a legitimate NT, being pussies on defense and getting killed in the running game. I could see DGB being available at #17 and he would likely be the BPA (probably pretty easily so at that point), but good NTs are rare and this would solve the problem that Telesco created in 2013 and has allowed to persist to the present.

2. Hauoli Kikaha, OLB, Washington--Kikaha led the nation is sacks in 2014. Johnson and Freeney are both likely gone, T. Williams remains a liability as an OLB and Ingram and Attaochu have both demonstrated a recent injury history. We need to improve our pass rush and Kikaha should do that.

3. Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB, Louisville--Mauldin is another good prospect at OLB and is perhaps more of a well rounded player than Kikaha is, albeit less of a dynamic pass rusher.

4. Corey Robinson, OT, South Carolina--Robinson replaces and is an upgrade to Smith as our new reserve swing OT. Jaquiski Tartt, a big, physical SS, is another player I considered for this draft slot and that might make more sense if Tartt were able to beat out Gilchrist and/or Addae for the starting SS position.

5. B.J. Finney, C, Kansas State--Rimington Award finalist in 2014. Finney started 52 straight games in college. He is solid and with a strong background at C. He is probably an immediate upgrade to anything we have at C right now.

6. Taiwan Jones, ILB, Michigan State--Big, tough ILB that should do well as a two-down run stopper that would likely add some nastiness to a defense that is sadly lacking in that quality. Hopefully, he can start in "the rotation" in Butler's spot when (not if) we cut Butler (either after June 1 this year or next year). I think the rotation of Conner and Butler (or Jones) in base and run defense and Te'o and Gahckar in pass coverage needs to remain in effect until we get some legitimate three down ILBs on the roster, of which it appears we have zero. I also considered Karlos Williams for this selection as a physically gifted athlete that plays RB. If he could ever get his RB skills to match his athleticism, he could potentially be a steal this late in the draft.

I continue to be of the view that this would be a great draft for us to trade back and possibly trade back more than once. I think where we are scheduled to draft and where the players fall is not a great matchup for us at all. It wouldn't shock me if we could trade back and still get Shelton or possibly Jordan Phillips, plus pick up an additional late second round pick.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

SDBoltReport.com publisher Michael Lombardo brings you inside updates from Day Two of Senior Bowl week in Mobile, Ala. We're talking to everyone from coaches to prospects to other assorted members of the football community, all of whom have congregated here for a week jam-packed with football activity.

To read Tuesday's Senior Bowl Blog, click here.

11:15pm (EST)

For those who enjoy our away-from-the-field anecdotes, here is one of my better ones for you. I was preparing to drive to today's North Team practice with fellow writers Charlie Bernstein and John Owning when somebody staying in the same hotel as us asked if he could catch a ride to practice. That person was Steve Walsh, a former quarterback of the Cowboys, Saints and Bears.

Walsh, who is currently coaching his son's high school team in the West Palm Beach area, is attending the Senior Bowl to network in hopes of landing a job as a quarterbacks coach. He specifically mentioned trying to follow the coaching path of Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich, who took several years off after his playing career ended before diving into coaching and quickly moving up the ranks.

Walsh went on to tell me what a great job Reich did this season in San Diego. I, of course, quickly corrected him. We then debated the highs and lows of San Diego's offense over the last few years, with me citing the departure of Vincent Jackson as a major setback and Walsh disagreeing (we didn't agree on much, for that matter).

Walsh certainly seems like a great dude, although I'm sure he won't ask to get into a car with me again any time in the near future.

6:30pm (EST)

One of the areas the Chargers need to beef up is the defensive front seven, and several prospects held effective auditions for that role in today's South Team practice.

One that stood out is Arkansas' Trey Flowers, a 6-foot-3, 270-pound defensive end who plays with a lot of power. On more than one occasion he bull rushed his way right into the backfield and blew up a run before it even started.

Another pass rusher, Missouri's Markus Golden, was a college defensive end who is making the switch to outside linebacker. He was extremely disruptive today, slipping off blocks and making himself right at the home in the opposing backfield. He is projected as a third-round pick.

While Golden could help shore up San Diego's outside linebacker rotation, Georgia's Amarlo Herrera looked very capable of helping out on the inside. He was extremely effective shooting gaps and playing downhill.

The most impressive player on the offensive side was OG Shaq Mason, who spent much of today's practice session blowing opponents off the ball. He excelled in space, which was to be expected after he played in the triple-option offense at Georgia Tech. His draft status was very much up in the air coming into this week, but given how well he is playing, he is now likely a third- or fourth-round pick.

5:30pm (EST)

I ran into Chargers OLB Jarret Johnson at today's South Team practice. He arrived along with defensive coordinator John Pagano and watched practice with other members of San Diego's coaching staff.

I initially thought Johnson might be preparing himself to transition into a coaching role. After all, he is one of the leaders in San Diego's clubhouse and a true student of the game. Additionally, the Chargers suddenly have a need for a linebackers coach after Joe Barry was hired away this week by the Washington Redskins. But after talking to Johnson, that is not the reason he is here. He claims he is healthy and getting ready for next season.

Whether he spends next season with the Chargers remains to be seen. He is entering the final year of his contract, which he was forced to renegotiate last offseason to avoid being released, and will be 34 years old by the time next season begins.

But I digress. Johnson, who lives just a couple hours from Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, says was in attendance to watch Central Arkansas WR Dezmin Lewis. He was not alone in that desire, either. After Wednesday's practice, a trio of Chargers scouts grabbed Lewis and conducted an extensive on-field interview with him.

Lewis is having a fantastic week, catching everything in sight. The Chargers have a need at receiver, as well, with Eddie Royal slated for free agency and Malcom Floyd, 34, entering the final year of his contract.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Randall learning fast, meeting with NFL teams

Damarious Randall, Special to the News Journal 7:26 p.m. CST January 21, 2015

Damarious Randall, Arizona State University defensive back, works with North Team players on the first day of practice

(Photo: Ben Twingley/btwingley@pnj.com)

CONNECT

TWEET

LINKEDIN

COMMENT

EMAIL

MORE

Pensacola High graduate and Arizona State senior Damarious Randall will play in Saturday's 66th annual Senior Bowl as a defensive back for the North All-Stars.

He will give his thoughts about each day this week. This is his second installment, following Wednesday's second day of practice:

Mobile has been treating me good. The weather has been nice and the coaching staff has been great. I'm just out here learning how to become a professional.

I've been learning and I've been picking up the playbook pretty quick.

PNJ

PHS grad Randall part of Senior Bowl

I've seen some great competition. Jamison Crowder (Duke, WR) was pretty good... he's a pretty shifty guy. We actually faced him in a bowl game earlier this season.

After this morning's practice, I had some afternoon interviews with the St. Louis Rams and San Diego Chargers. I'm just trying to do whatever I can to make myself a more draftable prospect for the NFL.

PNJ

Randall excited to be playing in Mobile

In my downtime, it's been a lot of fun. I've had interview after interview after interview after interview. I've been getting to know the coaches personally. On Monday, I had an interview with the Detroit Lions and the Cleveland Browns. There's a bunch of NFL teams that are very, very interested in my style of play.

Pensacola native Damarious Randall, Arizona State University
        Pensacola native Damarious Randall, Arizona State University defensive back, is photographed after North Team practice Tuesday at Lad Peebles Stadium while preparing for the Reese’s Senior Bowl on January 24.(Photo: , Ben Twingley/btwingley@pnj.com)

I've clicked with my roommate Quinten Rollins (Miami Ohio). He played corner before he switched to playing safety and he is a very, very good athlete.

PNJ sports reporter Brian Achatz contributed to this report.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Troy Aikman: Patriots punishment should exceed Saints bounty punishment

Posted by Josh Alper on January 22, 2015, 3:12 PM EST

Getty Images
          Former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman has weighed in on Deflategate and he thinks that the Patriots should be in for a harsh punishment from the NFL.

Aikman made an appearance on Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket on Thursday and said he believed that it is “obvious” quarterback Tom Brady was involved in deflating the footballs. He also referenced Commissioner Roger Goodell’s punishment of the Saints for running a bounty program that rewarded players for hurting opponents when explaining why he believed the Patriots needed more than the “slap on the wrist” Aikman feels they got for videotaping their opponents’ sideline in 2007.

“This whole comment by Roger Goodell based on the Saints when Sean Payton got suspended for the year, and he says ‘ignorance is no excuse,’ that’s going to come back to haunt him again,” Aikman said, via the Dallas Morning News. “That haunted him during the whole Ray Rice situation with he, himself, and now it’s going to haunt Roger Goodell in terms of what the punishment is for the New England Patriots and Bill Belichick. If ignorance is no excuse, and it wasn’t for Sean Payton. …[The Saints] did not give themselves a competitive advantage. Now twice, under Bill Belichick and possibly a third time, they’ve cheated and given themselves an advantage. To me, the punishment for the Patriots and/or Bill Belichick has to be more severe than what the punishment was for the New Orleans Saints.”

Payton was suspended for the entire 2012 season by the league as a result of their bounty findings, General Manager Mickey Loomis was suspended eight games, assistant coach Joe Vitt was suspended six games, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely, the team was fined $500,000 and the Saints were stripped of second-round picks in 2012 and 2013.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

JJ likely makes a great coach someday. Has always come across as intelligent and well spoken. Always hear about him teaching the young guys as well. That he's traveling with the coaches likely means he will renegotiate his contract again and stay with the team.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

As far as the draft goes, O lineman, Pass rush, DT, WR.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

SOUTH GIRLS

Bios, photos, videos and more of the FOX Sports South Girls
                SOUTH VIDEOS
                Senior Bowl: 10 Thursday observations about the North squad
                Knox Bardeen

FOX Sports South

JAN 22, 2015 3:32P ET

Glenn Andrews / USA TODAY Sports
                Utah defensive end Nate Orchard showed incredible speed and agility during Senior Bowl North squad practice, and also impressed with his ability to stay within his assignments. He was a big winner on Day 3.

MOBILE, Ala. -- Here are 10 random observations from Day 3 at the Senior Bowl -- specifically the morning practice session involving the North squad, coached by Ken Whisenhunt and the Tennessee Titans staffers:
                1. Quarterbacks continued to be less than impressive on Thursday for the North squad. The passer that had the most trouble was East Carolina's Shane Carden.
                Carden was picked off twice in the team portion of practice, and at least two other times in individual drills. He's having trouble looking safeties off his intended target, which is how Ibraheim Campbell grabbed one interception. Carden also launched one of the worst passes of the week as the offense tried to connect on a flea flicker. His pass was a good 20 yards short of its target, and well out of bounds.
                2. Several injuries hit the North team on Wednesday as three players sat out on Thursday and one was limited.
                Running back Jeremy Langford (low back tightness) and guard Robert Myers (ankle) missed the session. Linebacker Mike Hull had his knee scoped three weeks ago and it puffed up on him on Wednesday, according to a Senior Bowl representative. Hull and Langford will miss Saturday's game, while Myers will still try to play.
                Linebacker Zack Hodges (knee strain) was limited in practice, and did not look good going at partial speed.
                3. Tony Lippett showed some incredible leap-and-grab skills in the back corner of the end zone during the early portion of 1-on-1 drills. Not only did he show the strength and timing needed to get up to the football, he showed great body control to grab the ball before Quandre Diggs could, and land with both feet in the end zone.
                4. It pays to be quick off the snap, and defensive tackle Carl Davis has showed just that all week. He was especially impressive on Thursday in 11-on-11 drills as the offensive linemen had to resort to double-teaming him to keep him out of the backfield.
                Davis is a very disruptive force up front, and Duke guard Laken Tomlinson called Davis one of the two toughest defensive tackles to control.

5. Speaking of Laken Tomlinson, the Duke Blue Devil said that he feels he's gotten better every day this week. Most scouts agree completely.
                Tomlinson uses such a wide base to direct traffic with his man. He can push a defensive lineman any way he chooses, and he's been manhandling opponents for three days. Tomlinson is one of the players in Mobile that has one a good job at upgrading his draft stock.
                6. Danny Shelton didn't have a stellar first two sessions, but he finally showed his first-round upside on Thursday.
                Just about every guard at the Senior Bowl mentioned Shelton's name as the toughest to play against. He's next-to-impossible to stop 1-on-1, and he was held so much by offensive linemen that his numbers started to fall off.
                7. Nate Orchard might have been the best player on the field on Thursday. He pulled down an interception when a screen pass hit him in the helmet and his quick reaction time allowed his hands to grab the football. But that wasn't his best play of the day.
                In 11-on-11 drills, the offense tried an end-around. Orchard, instead of over-pursuing, stayed home and crushed the ball carrier for a loss on the play. He played both defensive line and linebacker, and dominated at both positions.

8. T.J. Clemmings came into the Senior Bowl with high expectations as one of the fastest-rising seniors in the country. He hasn't performed well at all, though.
                Clemmings has shown poor footwork and technique, and he's been blown past by guys like Deion Barnes and Orchard, to name a few. It looks as if Clemmings can't handle guys who can really explode and get past a lineman quickly. That will make it tough to pay left tackle in the NFL.
                9. The best tight end on the South side is easily Clive Walford. Delaware's Nick Boyle showed on Thursday that he's the cream of the crop on the North team.
                In what is becoming a rarity in the NFL of late, Boyle can not only catch passes, but he's a great blocker too. If you're a tight end and can push defensive linemen around and get open and catch passes with regularity, you'll do OK in the NFL.
                10. East Carolina wide receiver Justin Hardy showed off in 1-on-1 drills in the early portion of practice. He made play after play in the end zone and showed very soft hands that rarely bobbled anything. He had a few passes bounce off him on Wednesday, so this is a big adjustment. Almost as important as hauling in passes, Hardy received loads of praise late in practice for his blocking acumen. On more than one occasion a Tennessee coach congratulated Hardy for making area-clearing blocks down field.

Thomlinson you just can't draft enough of them!!!
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

It's obvious that the parents of Georgia Tech guard Shaq Mason are basketball fans: His full name is Shaquille Olajuwon Mason.

Date: Saturday, Jan. 24
                  Time: 4 p.m. ET
                  TV: NFL Network

Reese's Senior Bowl coverage:
                  Senior Bowl rosters Sources Tell Us: Insiders' scoop Buzz-worthy, buzz-kill players 7 things we learned from Day 2 6 standouts from Day 2 Official site of the Senior Bowl

Photos:
                  2015 Senior Bowl practice Top 10 notable Senior Bowl MVPs Recent Senior Bowl MVPs

Video:
                  Marshall on QB-CB switch All eyes on Shelton Walford 'most explosive' TE
                  But Mason never truly took to basketball -- maybe because he grew to just a shade under 6-foot-2 -- and instead became one of the best interior linemen in the nation. He has caught the eye of NFL Media's Mike Mayock at this week's Reese's Senior Bowl practices.

Mason, who weighed in at 310 pounds on Tuesday, was a three-year starter for the Yellow Jackets and a key performer in Tech's triple-option attack. As you'd expect from a guy who played in a run-oriented offense, Mason has a ways to go as a pass protector. But he is a road grader in the running game and is used to getting to the second level to mow down linebackers and defensive backs.

Mayock said Thursday during NFL Network's telecast of Senior Bowl practice that Mason -- whom he jokingly referred to as "a stubby little guard" -- has improved daily in pass-protection drills this week. "He bent his knees and got under people" during those drills, Mayock noted, and said he thought Mason could play center in the NFL.

"He's a tough kid with really good leverage," Mayock said.

Mayock also said he thought Alabama guard Arie Kouandjio (6-5, 318) showed improvement in pass-protection drills. "He has extremely long arms," Mayock said, which always is a plus for linemen, and noted that coaches worked on some techniques with Kouandjio this week that improved his footwork and setup. His brother, Cyrus, played tackle at Alabama and was a second-round pick by Buffalo in the 2014 draft.

Fellow analyst Charles Davis said touted Florida State guard Tre' Jackson (6-4, 323) had shown well this week. Jackson was a three-year starter for the Seminoles, and Davis likes Jackson's run-blocking ability, calling him a "big, strong, physical guy inside." Jackson should be in the running to be the first guard chosen in the draft.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Login
                    TITANSINSIDER
                    Utah DE/OLB Orchard stands out in Sr. Bowl practices

John Glennon, jglennon@tennessean.com
                    12 minutes ago
                    Facebook
                    Twitter
                    Google Plus
                    more
                    MOBILE, Ala. – One of the players who likely upped his NFL draft stock following three days of Senior Bowl practice was Utah defensive end/outside linebacker Nate Orchard.

The 6-3, 251-pounder was a defensive menace during Thursday's North team practice, hauling down one running back for a significant loss on one play and intercepting a screen pass on another.
                    He made a number of those kinds of plays throughout all three practices.
                    "I feel like I was very productive," Orchard said. "Day one I felt a little rusty, not being in pads for about a month and a half. But coming out here the last two days have been good. Transitioning and getting back into my groove has been working really good for me."
                    A projected first- or second-round draft pick by CBSSports.com, Orchard piled up 18.5 sacks and 21 tackles for loss during his senior season.
                    He played a 4-3 defensive end for the Utes, but would be an outside linebacker in a 3-4 system. Orchard spent time at both positions in practices this week.
                    "I think I showed the scouts my versatility, and that I'm able to drop back in coverage and do those things," Orchard said. "(Playing in a 3-4) wouldn't be a problem at all. Just learning the scheme would be the issue, but in time that wouldn't be a problem."
                    The 22 year-old Orchard, who is married and has a daughter, is especially proud of one of his characteristics.
                    "My leadership," Orchard said. "My teammates can lean on me in hard times, when they need me on the field or whatever they're going through."
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                      Now that the collegiate players have declared for the draft, it is time for me to again revise my thoughts about this year's draft.

It was disappointing to see that Ronnie Stanley, Spencer Drango and Devonte Fields all decided to return to school. That took what appears to be the only two strong pass protecting week one starting RTs off of the board and also took away our chance to land a guy like Fields as a late round sleeper pick.

This means that we can still improve two positions (ROT and OG) by adding only one additional player, but now that will likely have to be done through free agency. By signing Bulaga, we can kick Fluker inside, which should improve us at OG as well as at ROT.

In addition to this, I am hoping we sign Iupati to play LG for us and Jared Odrick to play 3-4 DE. I think we need more speed at WR, so I would try to sign Torrey Smith as well. I think the money needed to sign Iupati and Bulaga plus what we need to re-sign our own FAs will pretty much kill any chance we might have had to sign Justin Houston.

In any event, I would like us to re-sign: Royal, Ry. Mathews, Flowers, Dunlap, Gilchrist, Wright, Gachkar, Ri. Mathews and maybe T. Robinson.

Assuming the OL FA moves described above take place (that is, that we only suck ass at center after FA), I would consider drafting as follows:

1. Danny Shelton, NT, Washington--Shelton's player comparison is Vince Wilfork. Although I have some reservations about his value at #17, I am sick of us not having a legitimate NT, being pussies on defense and getting killed in the running game. I could see DGB being available at #17 and he would likely be the BPA (probably pretty easily so at that point), but good NTs are rare and this would solve the problem that Telesco created in 2013 and has allowed to persist to the present.

2. Hauoli Kikaha, OLB, Washington--Kikaha led the nation is sacks in 2014. Johnson and Freeney are both likely gone, T. Williams remains a liability as an OLB and Ingram and Attaochu have both demonstrated a recent injury history. We need to improve our pass rush and Kikaha should do that.

3. Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB, Louisville--Mauldin is another good prospect at OLB and is perhaps more of a well rounded player than Kikaha is, albeit less of a dynamic pass rusher.

4. Corey Robinson, OT, South Carolina--Robinson replaces and is an upgrade to Smith as our new reserve swing OT. Jaquiski Tartt, a big, physical SS, is another player I considered for this draft slot and that might make more sense if Tartt were able to beat out Gilchrist and/or Addae for the starting SS position.

5. B.J. Finney, C, Kansas State--Rimington Award finalist in 2014. Finney started 52 straight games in college. He is solid and with a strong background at C. He is probably an immediate upgrade to anything we have at C right now.

6. Taiwan Jones, ILB, Michigan State--Big, tough ILB that should do well as a two-down run stopper that would likely add some nastiness to a defense that is sadly lacking in that quality. Hopefully, he can start in "the rotation" in Butler's spot when (not if) we cut Butler (either after June 1 this year or next year). I think the rotation of Conner and Butler (or Jones) in base and run defense and Te'o and Gahckar in pass coverage needs to remain in effect until we get some legitimate three down ILBs on the roster, of which it appears we have zero. I also considered Karlos Williams for this selection as a physically gifted athlete that plays RB. If he could ever get his RB skills to match his athleticism, he could potentially be a steal this late in the draft.

I continue to be of the view that this would be a great draft for us to trade back and possibly trade back more than once. I think where we are scheduled to draft and where the players fall is not a great matchup for us at all. It wouldn't shock me if we could trade back and still get Shelton or possibly Jordan Phillips, plus pick up an additional late second round pick.
                      That's a pretty good FA haul with a nice draft to fill in the weak spots. Gotta win the LOS this year.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        Login
                        TITANSINSIDER
                        Utah DE/OLB Orchard stands out in Sr. Bowl practices

John Glennon, jglennon@tennessean.com
                        12 minutes ago
                        Facebook
                        Twitter
                        Google Plus
                        more
                        MOBILE, Ala. – One of the players who likely upped his NFL draft stock following three days of Senior Bowl practice was Utah defensive end/outside linebacker Nate Orchard.

The 6-3, 251-pounder was a defensive menace during Thursday's North team practice, hauling down one running back for a significant loss on one play and intercepting a screen pass on another.
                        He made a number of those kinds of plays throughout all three practices.
                        "I feel like I was very productive," Orchard said. "Day one I felt a little rusty, not being in pads for about a month and a half. But coming out here the last two days have been good. Transitioning and getting back into my groove has been working really good for me."
                        A projected first- or second-round draft pick by CBSSports.com, Orchard piled up 18.5 sacks and 21 tackles for loss during his senior season.
                        He played a 4-3 defensive end for the Utes, but would be an outside linebacker in a 3-4 system. Orchard spent time at both positions in practices this week.
                        "I think I showed the scouts my versatility, and that I'm able to drop back in coverage and do those things," Orchard said. "(Playing in a 3-4) wouldn't be a problem at all. Just learning the scheme would be the issue, but in time that wouldn't be a problem."
                        The 22 year-old Orchard, who is married and has a daughter, is especially proud of one of his characteristics.
                        "My leadership," Orchard said. "My teammates can lean on me in hard times, when they need me on the field or whatever they're going through."
                        This guy really seems to fit the profile to be a Bolt.
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                          Grammar Police
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Walker's Senior Bowl notebook: Day 3

By James Walker | January 22, 2015 7:40:11 PM PST
                          MOBILE, Ala. – Hundreds of scouts and decision-makers are in one place to check out the best college seniors in the country.

It was the final day of full practices for both teams. The weather cooled down but not the intensity.

Here are notes and observations on the third day:

It was a strong week for slot receivers. University of Miami’s Phillip Dorsett and Kansas State’s Tyler Lockett, who are 5-feet-10 and 5-9, respectively, both improved their stocks. Lockett displayed good quickness and the ability and toughness to catch in traffic. Dorsett did a good job using his blazing speed to take the top off the defense with big plays. Dorsett also showed good hands on shorter routes. Both players created a nice buzz for themselves.
                          Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin interestingly took a close look at defensive linemen during the South team’s practice Thursday. It’s no secret Miami needs help on its defensive line. The Dolphins were 24th against the run last season and starting defensive tackle Jared Odrick is set to become an unrestricted free agent.
                          Utah outside linebacker Nate Orchard consistently improved as the week went on. Orchard showed good aggressiveness and some range in pass defense, despite not much experience of that with the Utes. On Wednesday, he intercepted Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty’s screen pass on an impressive play “I believe a lot of scouts want to see me drop in coverage and how my hips are to see if I’m able to guard tight ends,” Orchard said.
                          I was disappointed in the week for Notre Dame Ben Koyack. He started out the gate fine with a decent practice on Tuesday. But Koyack tailed off in the next two days and didn’t make many plays. I expected more considering his production and lineage at Notre Dame, which continues to produce solid tight ends. However, Koyack doesn’t appear to be at the level of previous Fighting Irish tight ends.
                          There were two small-school players from the North team who stood out. Yale fullback Tyler Varga continues to catch well out of the backfield. He laid out for one deep pass and made a diving catch out of bounds. Delaware tight end Nick Boyle also had a strong week. He has good size at 6-feet-5 and 270 pounds. Boyle blocked well and also showed good hands. Boyle said one player he compares himself to is Pittsburgh Steelers tight end Heath Miller.
                          Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                          X