Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I think you have good points as well, especially about the possibility of changing the whole system used by the team.

But I do question if going big means doing the right thing--either with Brady or Meyer. In my view, Brady would have been a downgrade from Rivers and both would have struggled with our OL more than Herbert did. But nobody can argue that Meyer is not a big name. That much is certain.

Lynn was a reach from day 1. Daboll has more extensive NFL coaching experience and has learned over the years after having some difficult experiences with lesser teams that had crap at the QB position. Allen is Daboll's first good QB.

I was not a huge fan of Daboll going into this season, but by coincidence I had the chance to watch several of their games and I became impressed with what seemed to me to be some very creative play calling. The creativity reminds me of Reid and I kept thinking to myself that our QB and receivers could run this offense that Daboll has been using with BUF.
    yes lets not confuse "going big" with winning on the field
    I think Brady would have been a mess here too, even if we did draft Wirfs instead of Herbert.
    "Culture" is such a subjective term, but it's going to take someone with incredible influence to create a new culture
    in the locker room and front office alike
    Meyer is a guy with enough football credibility to have a chance to change the heart of our misery, the Spanos
    maybe Daboll can too, I hear great things about his communication skills etc
    but to make whole changes from the top down, you have to earn trust from everyone, including the Spanos
    make them feel like they got a bargain giving you 12/year
    TEACH Baby Spanos about culture, winning and leadership, make him feel a part of the process
    Meyer can do that
    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

from last year but this is straight wisdom
      UM recognizes times have changes and has adapted
      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
        https://youtu.be/wIYVpStw1yk

from last year but this is straight wisdom
        UM recognizes times have changes and has adapted
        After watching this video I wanna work for him....lol! Everyone's IQ would go up by 10 points in the entire organization including spanos family. Telesco would even learn from this guy too!

:beer:

PS...didn't realize this was two years ago. He wouldn't have put Rivers under the Bus....
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Our ownership disagrees with you. There is a reason why Lynn was fired and Telesco was not fired. We have the talent right now (Telesco's job) to do much better than we did. But we did not secure wins with that talent (Lynn's job).

Coaching does not have to be awful on every play throughout games for games to be lost by the coaching. At the NFL level, such awful coaching would be rare. Then again, the game plan for the MIA game does come to mind, so that is not impossible.

A coach can cost us a game by not using his timeouts correctly and/or by having a poor game management approach in terms of when to run and pass. These two issues cost us games against NO, TB, KC, LV and DEN. They probably cost us the games versus MIA and BUF as well, but that is less obvious.

Also, and I could not emphasize this enough, every single NFL team has weaknesses. So, while I agree that we have a weakness on the OL that needs fixing, that does not mean that on the whole we are less talented than other teams, especially if talent is weighted by positional value as I would take our QB over just about every other QB going forward.
          I am not sure why this is so difficult. And I am not saying it in a disparaging way. The previous coaching staff had more negatives in the ownership’s view than positive and that’s why they moved on from Lynn. I have no problem with that decision. Somehow you are taking that as a sign where there is no positives to take away from this season.. and I disagree with you there.

Herbert did not develop this much solely on his own or he would have done so much earlier in his career. Players along with offensive coaches also should get some credit in his unexpected development, especially considering the shortened NFL off-season. What Herbert did this year was quite rare.

I just can’t remember anytime in recent memory where a QB came into the league with so many question marks to simply blow away early expectations as early on as he had done. Wether you want to accept that reality or not, Herbert did not do it alone, although his work ethic and smarts certainly played a role.

Comment

• UtahBolt
            Did we win?
            • Jun 2013
            • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
            • Send PM

Urban Story...

When Urban was here at Utah, he refused to refer to our rival as BYU. He called them the Team Down South (Provo is south of Salt Lake City), or "TDS". He required that everyone in the football organization refer to them as TDS in private and public (much to the anger of BYU). He even went as far as to put TDS urinal cakes in all of the locker room urinals. To this day, the moniker TDS is still used in the Utah Utes team and fan circles even though it has been 16 years since he coached here. My point is UM was all business, he knew what a rivalry meant and although it was already bitter, he stepped in and with attitude alone, he made it even more fierce.

When he went to OSU, his wife Shelley (who was a rock star here in SLC) was interviewed about her favorite place that Urban had coached and she said that it was Utah. She said something to the effect of those kids were so tough, played so hard and were so coachable that they would have run through a wall for Urban. Keep in mind, the 2004 Utah Utes with Alex Smith at QB, were the first non-BCS team to break through to the BCS (we played Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl) and if the BCS would have let us play for the title, Urban would have had one more National Championship on his belt. There was no way the BCS would let us in the Orange Bowl that year because they knew a small conference (Mountain West) team would have won it.

It was Urban's success here that built this program into a perennial top-25 team and then Kyle Whittingham was able to build on that foundation from there. If it were not for Urban, the Utah Utes would not be in the Pac 12.
            I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
              Urban Story...

When Urban was here at Utah, he refused to refer to our rival as BYU. He called them the Team Down South (Provo is south of Salt Lake City), or "TDS". He required that everyone in the football organization refer to them as TDS in private and public (much to the anger of BYU). He even went as far as to put TDS urinal cakes in all of the locker room urinals. To this day, the moniker TDS is still used in the Utah Utes team and fan circles even though it has been 16 years since he coached here. My point is UM was all business, he knew what a rivalry meant and although it was already bitter, he stepped in and with attitude alone, he made it even more fierce.

When he went to OSU, his wife Shelley (who was a rock star here in SLC) was interviewed about her favorite place that Urban had coached and she said that it was Utah. She said something to the effect of those kids were so tough, played so hard and were so coachable that they would have run through a wall for Urban. Keep in mind, the 2004 Utah Utes with Alex Smith at QB, were the first non-BCS team to break through to the BCS (we played Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl) and if the BCS would have let us play for the title, Urban would have had one more National Championship on his belt. There was no way the BCS would let us in the Orange Bowl that year because they knew a small conference (Mountain West) team would have won it.

It was Urban's success here that built this program into a perennial top-25 team and then Kyle Whittingham was able to build on that foundation from there. If it were not for Urban, the Utah Utes would not be in the Pac 12.
              Gotta admit....cool shit right there...
              The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Looks like Urban wants some serious coin to coach in the NFL:

urban.JPG

https://www.profootballrumors.com/20...o-coach-in-nfl

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Gotta admit....cool shit right there...
                  Yep that is cool shit.
                  My only negative of Meyer is his exit if the NFL isn't for him and I think he is more a college fit. Otherwise bring him in, sure.
                  But then Dean also won't pay what he is asking. Never say never but,... He has a history and I would be very shocked if he did.
                  Its LA, you wanna be relevant with the Rams or content to just make money in the market?

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yep that is cool shit.
                    My only negative of Meyer is his exit if the NFL isn't for him and I think he is more a college fit. Otherwise bring him in, sure.
                    But then Dean also won't pay what he is asking. Never say never but,... He has a history and I would be very shocked if he did.
                    Its LA, you wanna be relevant with the Rams or content to just make money in the market?
                    See...you can be flexible!
                    The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yep that is cool shit.
                      Wouldn’t this possibly excite Spani?
                      Big contract, maybe bring in a SB victory, and then if he quits they wouldn’t be on the line for the rest of his contract $.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

See...you can be flexible!
                        I can, but I also posted I think he has a. 01% chance that Dean agrees to hire him for the asking price lol.

So I'm saying there is a chance. I'd love the hire, I'm just concerned he won't stay long. I don't care how much has to pay because it don't effect the cap.

However, then there is control of personnel. Will he want it? Things he may want that keeps him away...thus my. 01%

Im trying not to say too much about coaches because I don't want to get too excited to be disapointed.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Wouldn’t this possibly excite Spani?
                          Big contract, maybe bring in a SB victory, and then if he quits they wouldn’t be on the line for the rest of his contract $.
                          Im in, just not optimistic from Deans habits and figure Garrett has a better shot of being hired. :shrug:

Comment

Working...
                          X