• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
    If coaching was completely horrible through and through, those games would not have even been close where the Chargers O line was totally overmatched in those games that you mention. The coaching was not good enough to win at least half of those games I must admit, but not so terribly bad in every way as to not even give the team a chance to compete. If the Chargers can fix the lines, then they will have a much better chance to win in the NFL. The O line has to at least be adequate and the slew of injuries need to be minimized as well.
    I said it in other thread when wasn't sure if Lynn was fired or not - no matter the coach
    OL and Special Teams need to be fixed, overhauled, whatever.

Comment

• BigBad
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Additionally, our front four got tired.
      It was lacking in depth and juice.
      We could not hold leads.
      The trench issue exists on both sides of the ball.
      Some of that was scheme.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

Some of that was scheme.
        True. But mostly it was not having the horsepower.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Silversurfer
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Los Angeles
          • Send PM

Hearing him talk about importance of the Lines, If he is chosen he can knock some sense into T.T, maybe even take his job.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

End of the day for me this offseason is pretty easy: Fix the OL first and foremost; add Edge and another DT to the mix that is youngert/better than Square, fix Special Teams
            I get the team does need a CB opposite Davis - and I am not sure Hayward is the answer

But strategic and focused for me: OL, DL and Special Teams
            it ain't pretty - it ain't flashy like signing a big time WR like Allen Robinson - or drafting Waddle or Pitts
            but it does win games.

As for Urban - get it done (or Harbaugh or Daboll)
            Agreed, there’s only so much you can do in one offseason and this seems like a reasonable prioritization.
            I’ve been the wanting premium picks spent on CB for years now, so it’s sad to see where we today, but we will have to consider standing pat and hoping new DC has some tricks, James’ return is enough and that he stays healthy
            P1. Block Destruction
            P2. Shocking Effort
            P3. Ball Disruption
            P4. Obnoxious Communication

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Agreed, there’s only so much you can do in one offseason and this seems like a reasonable prioritization.
              I’ve been the wanting premium picks spent on CB for years now, so it’s sad to see where we today, but we will have to consider standing pat and hoping new DC has some tricks, James’ return is enough and that he stays healthy
              Not true. Greenbay spent a ton of picks on oline and a running back and wasted their first round pick and are smoking this season. Telesco threw darts at a board once we got past our third round. Just make sure your throwing your darts at the right board!

:beer:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

I am fine if a draft pick in rounds 1-3 is spent on CB. Hayward might be back but if you replace him - an older CB and I kind of like to upgrade the youth

Telesco did mention with the cap -having extra draft picks is a good thing. And one other thing to consider - teams will have to release players to get under the cap - there could be good bargains. So - sure today Hayward, Trai and MW are on the roster - but "tomorrow" they might not be. Even without lowering the cap, MW81 is not worth 15.6.

With the Chargers first five picks in Rounds 1-4: if they can get OT, IOL (G or C), Edge, CB and more DT depth - I would think that is a solid attempt at upgrading the roster

Comment

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                  The article below is from Albert Breer of SI. This is what appeals to me about Meyer. He would finally make the changes that the Chargers need to stop all these injuries, keep non football people out of football, win one score games, and build a strong organization. Other than the money this would take, the other issue is Telesco. A lot of what Meyer will want to/need to change is stuff that Telesco is in charge of. And I am sure that Telesco thinks that if just a few things are tweaked an everything else is left alone, that will be enough. That may kill this happening. To me, why waste time on another slightly better coach than Lynn or take a big swing on an unproven but high potential hot coordinator. Go for it, pay the money and make the real changes you need. And although I do have concerns about Meyer’s longevity whether it be due to boredom, health, or the NFL vs college, he will build a strong and sustainable organization and he picks outstanding assistants (Day and Herman are two recent and relevant examples and there are more)

Everyone and I mean everyone else on the Charger list of candidates is just going to come in and work within the organization as it stands and hope for the best. Meyer is the only one on the list with the chops and the skill to really be transformative. McDaniels would be the only other one who would do this or try to do it. But he is not on the list and I really cannot stand him. But I do think he is smart enough to know that he can’t just keep status quo here and win big.

TG

From #1 OVERALL PICK ENERGY #16 (@CoachHesterWFP): Is Urban Meyer the only real candidate Shad Khan wants until he passes?

All right, No. 1 overall pick, since we put you on the Urban Meyer–Jaguars trail almost a month ago now, I can give you some more background. There’s been some level of communication between Meyer and the Jaguars, through intermediaries and directly, for close to a month, if not longer. And I believe the job is Meyer’s if he wants it, and I think getting him would be a steal.

The Jaguars need a housecleaning the same way the Bills did before Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott performed one (and did so very successfully). This can’t be about changing out a couple of people. This has to be an overall reimagination of the organization—EVP Tom Coughlin tried to make this happen, and there was progress for a year before that effort stalled out. To do that, I believe they need someone who’ll come in with holistic ideas.

That is Meyer, and that’s why I think this makes sense. With the former Florida and Ohio State coach, the transformation would involve more than assistants. It’d be strength coaches and player development staff and nutritionists—really, he’d be bringing in a program more than a staff. So I believe he’d need, more than just a certain salary, a budget to overhaul much of the organization, in the same sort of way he did in Gainesville and Columbus.

In-depth analysis, unrivaled access. Get SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's best stories every weekday. Sign up now.
                  1:14/1:21

Bottom line, if you’re looking at this hire just from a, “Well, what kind of offense is he going to run?” perspective, you’re missing the forest for the trees. And for these reasons, and because I’m told he’s already looked at potential staffing on that level, which reflects a plan to do all of this, I think he’s what Jacksonville needs.

Will he do it? I don’t know. The consideration of his health is real. I’ve heard he loves his job at Fox and has found competition in it. But I do think it’d be hard for him to say no to a chance to coach Trevor Lawrence in a place with all those picks (multiple in the first, second, fourth, fifth and seventh rounds) and cap space (most in the NFL for 2021), and where, as a bonus, he can restore his legacy after his departure from Florida rubbed people there the wrong way.
                  To me, there is much greater risk with Meyer than there is with Daboll, while both have the potential to do really good things. So I favor Daboll.

Daboll has a lot of NFL experience, Meyer does not. Daboll does not have the record of quitting that Meyer has.

But most importantly, Daboll just finished building a very successful offense with and helped to develop a QB with very similar physical traits to our QB. The Daboll blueprint seems clear and seems like very good fit for our talent. Meyer has been successful, but really, his success in college is the only thing that points directly to his potential for the NFL. There is not an obvious fit from a coaching style standpoint.

With Meyer, I am left with the impression that things could work out for us. We definitely could do (and have done) worse. With Daboll, I am left with the impression that I can really see how this will work out for us. Rarely have a I seen such an obvious fit. And though that does not guarantee success, that is the difference. If the Spanos family can save a few bucks in the process, then that is all the better.

Comment

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
                    If coaching was completely horrible through and through, those games would not have even been close where the Chargers O line was totally overmatched in those games that you mention. The coaching was not good enough to win at least half of those games I must admit, but not so terribly bad in every way as to not even give the team a chance to compete. If the Chargers can fix the lines, then they will have a much better chance to win in the NFL. The O line has to at least be adequate and the slew of injuries need to be minimized as well.
                    Our ownership disagrees with you. There is a reason why Lynn was fired and Telesco was not fired. We have the talent right now (Telesco's job) to do much better than we did. But we did not secure wins with that talent (Lynn's job).

Coaching does not have to be awful on every play throughout games for games to be lost by the coaching. At the NFL level, such awful coaching would be rare. Then again, the game plan for the MIA game does come to mind, so that is not impossible.

A coach can cost us a game by not using his timeouts correctly and/or by having a poor game management approach in terms of when to run and pass. These two issues cost us games against NO, TB, KC, LV and DEN. They probably cost us the games versus MIA and BUF as well, but that is less obvious.

Also, and I could not emphasize this enough, every single NFL team has weaknesses. So, while I agree that we have a weakness on the OL that needs fixing, that does not mean that on the whole we are less talented than other teams, especially if talent is weighted by positional value as I would take our QB over just about every other QB going forward.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

To me, there is much greater risk with Meyer than there is with Daboll, while both have the potential to do really good things. So I favor Daboll.

Daboll has a lot of NFL experience, Meyer does not. Daboll does not have the record of quitting that Meyer has.

But most importantly, Daboll just finished building a very successful offense with and helped to develop a QB with very similar physical traits to our QB. The Daboll blueprint seems clear and seems like very good fit for our talent. Meyer has been successful, but really, his success in college is the only thing that points directly to his potential for the NFL. There is not an obvious fit from a coaching style standpoint.

With Meyer, I am left with the impression that things could work out for us. We definitely could do (and have done) worse. With Daboll, I am left with the impression that I can really see how this will work out for us. Rarely have a I seen such an obvious fit. And though that does not guarantee success, that is the difference. If the Spanos family can save a few bucks in the process, then that is all the better.
                      Good points, I’d be ecstatic to have either but I get what you’re saying. There is a clearer path with Daboll, as in, do what you did for Buffalo here
                      with Meyer, it’s more complicated. Lack of recruiting, having to work within an NFL system presumably with Telesco, baby Spanos.
                      As smart as I think Meyer is, I can see him having his fill of bs and calling it quits, Daboll has more to lose

to me the risk/reward is comparable
                      with Meyer, we’re talking whole disruption of the system as we know it, which is what many of us have been calling for. The upside is that he wins over the Spanos to finally trust him and let go of their way.
                      with Daboll, he could do the same but is a lot less likely, being another first time HC. The good thing is that it may not take wholesale changes ala Meyer. It could just be the product of quality HCing that works in unison with Telesco and Spanos.

This decision is going to define the Spanos’ “LA legacy”
                      they already shat their SD legacy, so ask yourself, how bold are they willing to go?
                      I think they’re ready to go all in on Meyer and have someone like Daboll as a backup plan.
                      Keep in mind they were ready to have TB12 be the face of the LA Chargers just months ago
                      Spanos are itching to go big in LA
                      P1. Block Destruction
                      P2. Shocking Effort
                      P3. Ball Disruption

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

End of the day for me is that if I’m Deano, I think Meyer gives me the best chance at both winning LA, winning on the field and saving my legacy.
                        Yes he will be twice as expensive in just salary alone, not to mention other batshit crazy plans Meyer will insist on like twin Japanese masseuses per player during away games or something
                        But I think Dean can feel comfortable tying his LA legacy to Meyer’s Pro legacy
                        P1. Block Destruction
                        P2. Shocking Effort
                        P3. Ball Disruption

Comment

Good points, I’d be ecstatic to have either but I get what you’re saying. There is a clearer path with Daboll, as in, do what you did for Buffalo here
                          with Meyer, it’s more complicated. Lack of recruiting, having to work within an NFL system presumably with Telesco, baby Spanos.
                          As smart as I think Meyer is, I can see him having his fill of bs and calling it quits, Daboll has more to lose

to me the risk/reward is comparable
                          with Meyer, we’re talking whole disruption of the system as we know it, which is what many of us have been calling for. The upside is that he wins over the Spanos to finally trust him and let go of their way.
                          with Daboll, he could do the same but is a lot less likely, being another first time HC. The good thing is that it may not take wholesale changes ala Meyer. It could just be the product of quality HCing that works in unison with Telesco and Spanos.

This decision is going to define the Spanos’ “LA legacy”
                          they already shat their SD legacy, so ask yourself, how bold are they willing to go?
                          I think they’re ready to go all in on Meyer and have someone like Daboll as a backup plan.
                          Keep in mind they were ready to have TB12 be the face of the LA Chargers just months ago
                          Spanos are itching to go big in LA
                          I think you have good points as well, especially about the possibility of changing the whole system used by the team.

But I do question if going big means doing the right thing--either with Brady or Meyer. In my view, Brady would have been a downgrade from Rivers and both would have struggled with our OL more than Herbert did. But nobody can argue that Meyer is not a big name. That much is certain.

Lynn was a reach from day 1. Daboll has more extensive NFL coaching experience and has learned over the years after having some difficult experiences with lesser teams that had crap at the QB position. Allen is Daboll's first good QB.

I was not a huge fan of Daboll going into this season, but by coincidence I had the chance to watch several of their games and I became impressed with what seemed to me to be some very creative play calling. The creativity reminds me of Reid and I kept thinking to myself that our QB and receivers could run this offense that Daboll has been using with BUF.

Comment

Working...
                          X