• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lyth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Send PM

I'm not so sure on Saleh. He's in the category of ”hot coordinator" as much as any of the OC's we're looking at. 4 years as a DC. Don't get me wrong, I think his defenses have been good. Scheme is good. They play smart. They can tackle. I just wonder if he can do the rest of the job or if the offense will be a solo that he doesn't touch. That model works sometimes, but I'd rather have a smart HC getting involved in everything.

Reminds me of Tomlin. Intense guy that players play hard for. Not sure he's right for a team with a secondary that will sit out a game if they break a fingernail. Culture, and probably players, would need to change.

Comment

• UglyTruth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2018
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post
      I'm not so sure on Saleh. He's in the category of ”hot coordinator" as much as any of the OC's we're looking at. 4 years as a DC. Don't get me wrong, I think his defenses have been good. Scheme is good. They play smart. They can tackle. I just wonder if he can do the rest of the job or if the offense will be a solo that he doesn't touch. That model works sometimes, but I'd rather have a smart HC getting involved in everything.

Reminds me of Tomlin. Intense guy that players play hard for. Not sure he's right for a team with a secondary that will sit out a game if they break a fingernail. Culture, and probably players, would need to change.
      Saleh would change the culture. He preaches accountability and discipline.

He’s also a very aggressive minded coach that that won’t simply try to run out the clock once picking up a 10 pt lead.

I think he will bring Mike LaFleur or Shane Day with him to manage the offense but he will still be heavily involved in it.

Saleh talked recently about he will be involved as a leader in all facets of the game not just defense. He said he learned this from Shanahan who is obviously offense minded but is involved with the defense as well.
      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

Just a reminder... I wouldn't pay any attention to 'breaking news" about 'how the interviews went'.

Unless it's a direct quote from a GM or ownership... means nothing.

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Lyth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Saleh would change the culture. He preaches accountability and discipline.

He’s also a very aggressive minded coach that that won’t simply try to run out the clock once picking up a 10 pt lead.

I think he will bring Mike LaFleur or Shane Day with him to manage the offense but he will still be heavily involved in it.

Saleh talked recently about he will be involved as a leader in all facets of the game not just defense. He said he learned this from Shanahan who is obviously offense minded but is involved with the defense as well.
          There aren't any coaches that preach accountability and discipline more than Marone. He's out of work The Jags didn't have it, expecially on offense where he was weakest.

If he's hired I hope he's a true head coach and gets involved in everything.

Comment

• UglyTruth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2018
            • Send PM

If Saleh can bring Kafka with him to be OC that would be huge. Kafka is familiar with the AFCW and would know our divisional rival extremely well.

Kafka became the Chiefs QB coach in 2018 and Patrick Mahomes went on to become league MVP season. He’s honestly more impressive than Bienemy who is way overhyped imo. He also doesn’t have the lengthy criminal history that Bienemy has.

Here’s a really good article on Kafka and Mahomes talks about the impact he has had in KC.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2...s-quarterbacks

Saleh is such a no brainer hire that it’s almost certain that Spanos will choose someone else and then fire them in 3-4 years from now.

- 69-74 record
            - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
            - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

If Saleh can bring Kafka with him to be OC that would be huge. Kafka is familiar with the AFCW and would know our divisional rival extremely well.

Kafka became the Chiefs QB coach in 2018 and Patrick Mahomes went on to become league MVP season. He’s honestly more impressive than Bienemy who is way overhyped imo. He also doesn’t have the lengthy criminal history that Bienemy has.

Here’s a really good article on Kafka and Mahomes talks about the impact he has had in KC.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2...s-quarterbacks

Saleh is such a no brainer hire that it’s almost certain that Spanos will choose someone else and then fire them in 3-4 years from now.
              I must have missed it, why is Saleh a “no-brainer”?
              He preaches these unique concepts like “discipline” and “accountability”
              and he said he would be involved in all aspects, not just defense?
              so this seperates him from the other 7 guys somehow?

Saleh is definitely a shoe in to last over 4 years because...?
              we all have favorites but where’s the confidence coming from?
              P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
              P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
              P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
              P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Jets are bringing him in for a second interview
                Thought to be the Lions first choice

He is in my top 3 - especially if he could bring Kafka with him or one of the current 49er co-coordinators.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2018
                  • Send PM

Chargers dropped the ball not bringing Saleh in for a second interview. There’s no way Jets are letting him leave the building without a deal.

- 69-74 record

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2020
                    • Send PM

I like his presence, or at least the way he is perceived. All talk about accountability and discipline, but to me he exudes this. Urban Meyer is still a long shot until he is for sure yay or nay. Until then, Saleh is the guy I think can be very good for this organization, especially if he can bring a reputable offensive coordinator along with him.

I am not all that impressed by Daboll.. And I am curious of what Steichen could do with not only a full off-season, but an adequate offensive line, a top notch coach, and multiple years with this group. I feel confident that it would at least match what Dabolll has done with the Bills..

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
                      I like his presence, or at least the way he is perceived. All talk about accountability and discipline, but to me he exudes this. Urban Meyer is still a long shot until he is for sure yay or nay. Until then, Saleh is the guy I think can be very good for this organization, especially if he can bring a reputable offensive coordinator along with him.

I am not all that impressed by Daboll.. And I am curious of what Steichen could do with not only a full off-season, but an adequate offensive line, a top notch coach, and multiple years with this group. I feel confident that it would at least match what Dabolll has done with the Bills..
                      Not impressed by Daboll but you are by Steichen? Thats funny. Steichen is the first guy i wanted fired with his stupid run calls with no time outs, in two different games. Just inexcusable. You dont need an whole offseason to know those are shit calls. Let him learn elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

If its important, he's an American of Lebanese descendants and is from Michigan. He went to Northern Michigan, 4 yr starter and was all-conference as a tight end.
                        I am not sure if Saleh qualifies as a person of color under the new rules relating to minority hiring, which are counterproductive on their face. Is the rule that a minority is anyone that is not white (an actual numerical minority)? What is the degree of minority makeup that is required? How many generations back can be used to establish minority status?

In any event, I would not want the 49ers and especially would not want the Chiefs to get a third round compensatory pick, so if that is the rule, those coaches should be interviewed under the Rooney Rule and immediately rejected as candidates as their hiring would reduce the value of our later draft picks, creating a disincentive for a minority hire.

Now, if we also got a third round compensatory pick for hiring a minority candidate, then that would make things more interesting, though I still prefer Daboll, who appears to be very white.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Not impressed by Daboll but you are by Steichen? Thats funny. Steichen is the first guy i wanted fired with his stupid run calls with no time outs, in two different games. Just inexcusable. You dont need an whole offseason to know those are shit calls. Let him learn elsewhere.
                          Dude made some questionable calls no doubt, but I am curious to allow him to learn under solid coaching. I think there were a lot of positive things to take from this past year also. I am not sure how many years Daboll has been in that role, but all things considered, I think Steichen showed some promise also.

It’s not often where you have to get new young players comfortable and up to speed on your scheme during an abbreviated off season. And the year Herbert had.. Herbert did not do that on his own. Steichen along with Pep got Herbert up to speed on a very different offense than he ran at Oregon. That does not get lost with me.

Not only did he have to communicate the new schemes in a way that was highly effective for Herbert to learn, he also had to learn the things Herbert felt most comfortable with also. Those are not so easy to do or Herbert’s record breaking year would be much more common. And again, this was done during a very shortened off-season.

Comment

Working...
                          X