• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

San Diego to Sue NFL?

Former city attorney pledges to sue NFL over Chargers move if Gloria doesn’t act by next week

Former San Diego City Attorney Michael Aguirre, left, spoke at a press conference in June in downtown San Diego. He sent a letter to Mayor Todd Gloria this week saying he plans to sue the NFL over the Chargers move from San Diego.
    (Sam Hodgson/The San Diego Union-Tribune)
    BY JEFF MCDONALD
    JAN. 15, 2022 5 AM PT

Days after writing an opinion piece for The San Diego Union-Tribune that urged city officials to sue the National Football League and the Chargers over the team’s move to Los Angeles, former City Attorney Michael Aguirre said he will take up the fight if Mayor Todd Gloria fails to act.

Aguirre, who was the elected city attorney from 2004 to 2008, advised the mayor in a letter Friday that he would proceed with a lawsuit of his own next Friday if the city does not pursue its own legal complaint.

“There is established legal precedent for the city of San Diego to recover taxpayer losses from the NFL and the Chargers, as was done under similar circumstances by the city of St. Louis and the St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority,” Aguirre wrote.

“We write to confirm that you, as mayor of the city of San Diego, have decided not to take any legal action to recover damages the city suffered as a result of the Chargers relocation to Los Angeles starting in the 2017 football season,” he added.

The Chargers played in San Diego for more than 50 years before moving to Los Angeles in 2017. The move came after years of community debate over a new stadium and a spate of proposals to keep them here.

The Mayor’s Office did not immediately respond to a request for comment about Aguirre’s letter. But in an email last month to a person who asked Gloria about the possibility of suing the NFL, the mayor said it was too late to proceed with a lawsuit.

“Unfortunately, previous administrations in the city of San Diego twice waived the city’s rights to any claim against the NFL and the Chargers for relocation after the 2008 NFL season,” Gloria responded to the man.

“The attached 2004 and 2006 lease amendments contain this information,” the mayor added in his email. “Thank you again for your email and for staying engaged on this important issue.”

Debate over a possible lawsuit against the NFL and the longtime San Diego home team resurfaced in December, after the city of St. Louis won a $790 million settlement over a claim filed in the wake of the Rams’ move to Los Angeles.

Aguirre, who has been in contact with the Missouri attorney who put forward that legal argument, said the same litigation strategy could be employed in San Diego.

“The NFL approved the Chargers’ move to Los Angeles at the same time it approved the Rams’ move there,” the one-term city attorney wrote in his opinion piece last week. “What the NFL did to St. Louis, it did even worse to San Diego.”

According to Aguirre, the St. Louis lawsuit focused on the league’s violation of its own policy when it approved the relocation of both the Rams and the Chargers.

Under the relocation policy, the league supports stable relations between teams and the communities in which they play, and clubs are obliged to work diligently and in good faith to maintain suitable stadium facilities, Aguirre said.

The city of San Diego signed several deals to upgrade what was called Qualcomm Stadium, the publicly-owned facility that served as the Chargers’ home field since it was first built in the late 1960s, Aguirre said.

But the Chargers nonetheless planned to leave San Diego as early as 2006, according to a former league employee quoted in an article last month by Union-Tribune columnist Bryce Miller.

“I think (Chargers owner) Dean Spanos made up his mind to move in 2006,” former NFL official Jim Steeg told Miller. “It just took him 10 years to do it.”

The same column quoted a former senior city lawyer who said the city bargained away its right to sue years ago, when San Diego and team officials each wanted to do away with an unpopular contract clause that had the city paying for unsold seats.

“The goal was to ensure the Chargers stayed for a time and get rid of the ticket guarantee,” former Assistant City Attorney Les Girard told Miller. “I’m not sure it would be fair to say we could get something done (with the Chargers staying) but at least we had the opportunity.”

Aguirre said the Chargers were profitable even without the benefit of a new stadium. The value of the team skyrocketed from the $40 million Spanos paid in 1984 to more than $1 billion before he moved the club to Los Angeles.

In 2018, Aguirre and law partner Maria Severson won a $775 million settlement for consumers after suing Southern California Edison over a deal to charge ratepayers $5 billion for the failed San Onofre nuclear plant.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

I’m all for it. F the Spanii.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Parcells
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

The question is, would it force the Spanii to sell or just make them even more frugal. Sounds like the city of San Diego knows they don’t have much of a case.

Comment

Damages? Meaning to the fans as a result of the crazy losses?

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Chainy, we need the legal implications broken down
          please have a report ready....
          G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

St Louis won $790 million. The Spanii better be scared. They screwed us out of OUR team. Yes they are they owners, but it is OUR team. They are the custodians for the fans and the City.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

They should sue the politicians who chased them out of San Diego.
              Last edited by FoutsFan; 01-16-2022, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                Chainy, we need the legal implications broken down
                please have a report ready....
                If the lawsuit gets filed, I will be curious to see what it alleges.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

If the lawsuit gets filed, I will be curious to see what it alleges.
                  I'm thinking the suit must be something in the order of compensation for loss of revenue along with breach of contract...

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'm thinking the suit must be something in the order of compensation for loss of revenue along with breach of contract...
                    Breach of a written contract in California has a statute of limitations of four years.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                      The Precious
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      St Louis won $790 million. The Spanii better be scared. They screwed us out of OUR team. Yes they are they owners, but it is OUR team. They are the custodians for the fans and the City.
                      Spanii ain’t scared and why would they be? San Diego has done nothing to pursue this even after St Louis victory. Why? Also exactly who is Aguirre representing here?

Fuck him too.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

They didn't try to keep the Chargers. The City is gonna lose and rightfully so.
                        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                        X