• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

How about if we get to keep the name and records?
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• PR#1
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Sounds like a similar situation to St Louis.

St Louis proposed a 1 billion dollar stadium and Kronke said no.

So there is legal precedent. Lawsuit was going to force owners to reveal all financial details of the NFL and owners quickly decided to settle instead.

The NFL and Rams owner Stan Kroenke will pay $790 million to settle a lawsuit filed by St. Louis interests over the team’s relocation to Los Angeles, a joint statement from St. Louis city and county said Wednesday.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Breach of a written contract in California has a statute of limitations of four years.
        Well, it's been five years since the relocation, so must be something else:

Chargers owner Dean Spanos announced the relocation in a letter to the city of San Diego posted to the team's official site on January 12, 2017.[8] The team, which would pay the NFL a $645 million relocation fee[66] announced it would be returning to their birthplace in Los Angeles starting with the 2017 season at Dignity Health Sports Park (then known as StubHub Center) in Carson,[8][9][10] although the stadium at seating for less than 30,000 sat well below the 50,000 minimum that the NFL set even for temporary homes following the 1970 merger. The home of Major League Soccer's LA Galaxy served as the Chargers' temporary home field until they joined the Rams at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood starting with the 2020 NFL season. The Chargers became the second former San Diego professional sports franchise to relocate to Los Angeles, after the Clippers in 1984.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
          Pretty much retired......
          • Sep 2018
          • JoJa
          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

Spanii ain’t scared and why would they be? San Diego has done nothing to pursue this even after St Louis victory. Why? Also exactly who is Aguirre representing here?

Fuck him too.
          If he files as the attorney of record then he is representing his bank account........

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

as much as I hated the SD Chargers move I also hate that Aguirre guy. sleazy dbag. they need to countersue him for just being stupid.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I left this thread alone as it is current events, and involves Charger ownership, but we do have a rule about re-litigating the move from San Diego to Los Angeles. If the discussion goes to that, I will close this thread. We've lost too many members because of this decision, and there is no reasonable path to returning the Chargers to San Diego, or even forcing ownership into rebranding.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well, it's been five years since the relocation, so must be something else:

Chargers owner Dean Spanos announced the relocation in a letter to the city of San Diego posted to the team's official site on January 12, 2017.[8] The team, which would pay the NFL a $645 million relocation fee[66] announced it would be returning to their birthplace in Los Angeles starting with the 2017 season at Dignity Health Sports Park (then known as StubHub Center) in Carson,[8][9][10] although the stadium at seating for less than 30,000 sat well below the 50,000 minimum that the NFL set even for temporary homes following the 1970 merger. The home of Major League Soccer's LA Galaxy served as the Chargers' temporary home field until they joined the Rams at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood starting with the 2020 NFL season. The Chargers became the second former San Diego professional sports franchise to relocate to Los Angeles, after the Clippers in 1984.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Chargers
                The statute of limitations in California is even shorter with respect to most other causes of action.

So, it is likely that Aguirre would have to allege that the cause of action did not accrue until sometime later or argue that the timing laws of another jurisdiction apply. Lots of other jurisdictions appear to have a longer statute of limitations for breach of a written contract than California.

For example, NFL headquarters is in New York. If New York laws could be applied (and I would have to know the specific facts of the matter to have an opinion on that subject), then it appears that the statute of limitations for breach of a written contract may be six years versus four (plus COVID tolling) in California. But I claim no expertise with respect to New York law.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                  The Precious
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                  as much as I hated the SD Chargers move I also hate that Aguirre guy. sleazy dbag. they need to countersue him for just being stupid.
                  What do you call a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

I don’t think this has much if anything to do with the chargers or the NFL. This current mayor had nothing to do with the teams relocation and the people that did are trying to make him look weak and give him a black eye so they can take back the city in the next election, simple as that. This is just local city politics from the same shitty people that were running the show when the team left.
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Highboltage
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

What do you call a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start.
                      How many lawyers does it take to shingle a roof?

Depends how thin you slice them.

Comment

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
                        Sounds like a similar situation to St Louis.

St Louis proposed a 1 billion dollar stadium and Kronke said no.

So there is legal precedent. Lawsuit was going to force owners to reveal all financial details of the NFL and owners quickly decided to settle instead.

https://www.nfl.com/news/790m-settle...ouis-departure
                        A settlement does not constitute legal precedent. Only rulings binding on trial courts (such as decisions from appellate courts) may have legal precedential value.

Discovery has to be reasonably calculated to lead to admissible evidence. Otherwise, it is subject to objection.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                          Charger Fan till the end
                          • Jun 2013
                          • North Carolina
                          • Send PM

Seems like very different situations. I believe the team stays if that funding effort voted on by SD residents passed it. Sue the residents too asswipe Aguirre. Hes just out for the multimillion attorney fees here.

Comment

Working...
                          X