First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Never liked the Green hire when they already had Dave Roberts waiting in the wings. Not only that, Dusty Baker was available. Preller is turning out to be a huge disaster.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Worst start ever. But we can still come back. Preller, like Telesco and Sheen, is a winner.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I like a GM who throws all his eggs in a basket even if that basket ended up being a basketball hoop.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

I only hope we have a kick-ass draft this June with all those early picks we have and also sign Cuba's best young talent when that signing period opens up in July I guess. We seem to have a bunch of stiffs on our Major league club right now. UGH. I would not be sad to see any or all of them go. This current Padres team appears worse than an expansion team. It would be embarrassing if it didn't happen every season. God help us.

EDIT: I wanted to say something good. I still like our 2015 draft. I believe there will be many players from that Padres draft class to make it to the big leagues. Especially the pitchers.
          Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 04-07-2016, 01:39 AM.
          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

Wow, just wow. This is so bad its comical.
            sigpic

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Whew!

0-25

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                Never liked the Green hire when they already had Dave Roberts waiting in the wings. Not only that, Dusty Baker was available. Preller is turning out to be a huge disaster.
                I like the Green hire. Wasn't too keen on Roberts but after learning more I think he would have been good. Dusty Baker is a joke.

The problem isn't Green. The problem is players. Cashier is a disaster...he's like Steve Sax. Needs change of scenery. Kemp is Kemp. What are ya gonna do? Where the F is Will Myers? I've been banking on this guy and he keeps not showing up. Tyson Ross is a stud. Shields is good but ought to be a 3 in a good rotation. The rest of these cats are role players on good teams. Like we've had for about 8 years.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

What about Green's past told you he was any good? I never even heard of him prior to the hire, maybe you were further into the weeds than I was. I wanted Roberts last year after they fired Black. Preller, for whatever reason, dismissed him and didn't even interview him at season's end. Maybe Preller likes Peter Principle guys. Whatever the reason seems like another Preller reach, though not on par with the explosive reaches he traded for last year.

Why is Dusty Baker a joke? Guy won 90 games twice with Cincinnati. We'll see how the Nats do this year. I always thought he did a great job with SF and Chicago (he was a Steve Bartman muff away from getting the pennant with THE CUBS).

But if we're taking these three games as a definitive sample, I doubt anyone could help this bunch. The talent level is on Preller.

Regarding Myers, I was watching an interview with him last night and he talked about his chronic wrist problem. He said a big part of the recovery process was coming to terms with the fact that his wrist will always be injured. He said the doctor helped him with that. If that's the case he may be toast. Forget about him developing into a consistent power threat, and may be one reason they moved him to first base (where he actually looks pretty good playing). Maybe he can develop into a consistent on base hitter. They definitely need 7 more position players, and I hope Blash can be adequately protected this year so they can send him back down for further development.
                  Last edited by 6025; 04-07-2016, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Jankowski or Upton need to be in CF. Jay is not a good CFer. He reminds me of Myers in CF last year. Why can't the Padres ever learn from their mistakes? It makes you wonder if they even give a shit.
                    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Upton is a waste of a roster spot. I can't believe this guy is even still on a roster. He was pretty bad in LF on opening day, can't imagine he'd be an improvement over Jay, who is at least younger but is also someone who should be on the bench and on his way out of the bigs. This team has basically two pitchers and possibly Myers to build around, everyone else is either minor league players or washed up.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                        What about Green's past told you he was any good?
                        Who he worked with and for. Wasn't much of a player but neither was Bochy. He seems quite intelligent, has followed thought leadership in and outside his industry, is intense and seems like an aggressive guy that can lead.

Whatever the reason seems like another Preller reach, though not on par with the explosive reaches he traded for last year.
                        Say what you want about last year but those sort of moves were needed to shake things up and infuse this franchise with a little excitement. I for one am simply bored with this largely irrelevant team. It's been no fun to watch for a decade. I'm not even talking wins and losses. Just any energy or reason to engage. The only reason I have is I love the Padres and I love baseball. But it hasn't been interesting at all. Now did the deals work out? No not really. But Upton, Kimbrel and Kemp performed about as expected. Norris played well and Myers was hurt most of the year but he was productive and his pedigree suggest(s)(ed) he was worth the investment. However, the guys we counted on from our side (Starting pitching) sucked bollocks. I'm pretty sure if Preller had any indication those guys were going to tank so bad, he mighty've taken a different course. Shields gave up too many bombs but was otherwise a net positive and prob the second best pitcher we had last year.

OK. They tried. As for who was sent out, I think Ross, Fried and Turner are the only guys I think will turn in to big-timers and Fried's been injured a lot. Mallex Smith played very well for ATL last year but he didn't make the big club this year and last year was a major change from what he looked like previously. People were tired of promises about the future. I can't tell you how sick I am of 'draft and develop.' How many new starts on that do we get? How many of those prospects have turned into anything? Sean Burroughs? Josh Barfield? How about our 'Dominican Academy?' Remember Ted Simmons? I could go on and on. And when we've had productive big league players (read: $) we ship them off for a handful of magic beans that turn into Casey Kelly and Reymond Fuentes. And when one of the magic beans is actually magic we flip him for...Andrew Cashner. So no, I don't blame them at all and I'm glad they shelled out some dough. That's something Moor/es/ad never fucking did. Now we're back to draft and develop. Ok, at least it looks like Preller got some value and it's at least closer to MLB than the usual guys we get from A ball.

Why is Dusty Baker a joke? Guy won 90 games twice with Cincinnati. We'll see how the Nats do this year. I always thought he did a great job with SF and Chicago (he was a Steve Bartman muff away from getting the pennant with THE CUBS).
                        There's a reason he keeps moving around. One of the chief complaints is he doesn't know how to run a pitching staff.
                        Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 04-08-2016, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                          Jankowski or Upton need to be in CF. Jay is not a good CFer. He reminds me of Myers in CF last year. Why can't the Padres ever learn from their mistakes? It makes you wonder if they even give a shit.
                          Jay is actually a very good outfielder. But I think he's a better LF. Give him time, though. He's learning PETCOs big OF.

Comment

Working...
                          X