• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

@DrewUnga: Pink has now officially spent more time in the Staples Center rafters than anything Clippers-related.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Lakers fans and bloggers feeling threatened by the Clippers is hilarious. Now back to your regularly scheduled posts about....the Lakers.

Comment

• sandiego17
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Love Pau, but I would trade him. Lakers are awful. I try not to watch much, if I watch I root for them, if I don't I can fool myself into believing I'm in favor of the Q theory for a few seconds.

Re Clippers, BKR, you think they get past the first round this year? They have Doc and they have the rafter covers. Potent combo .

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I don't know. Maybe they do. Griffin is having a big season. Jordan is breaking through. Paul was having a very good season prior to injury. They've played well with him out. But they really lack a backup big and the cap is a constraint on acquiring one. They certainly addressed the outside shooting issues in the offseason but the backup big issue may really hurt them come playoff time. But regardless, you did manage to get in a jab and that's in some weird way a victory for the Clips. Why would Lakers fans bother? Jealousy is the only answer. Who woulda thunk it?

Comment

• sandiego17
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
            Why would Lakers fans bother? Jealousy is the only answer. Who woulda thunk it?
            Jealousy? It is an answer to a question, but not the one you pose. The Clips would have to be dominant for a long time (multiple 3 peats) before a pang of jealousy creeps into any real Laker fans mind. I actually like the cute Clipper story, why be jealous? Little bullied kid taking their virtual shots at the bigger, badder, much much much more accomplished bully without accomplishing anything. Who doesn't appreciate a story like that? Unless you count a division title and first round exit as an accomplishment, which, frankly, for the Clips... I don't like the lesser Rivers though, but not because he's a Clipper.

Would Clip fans hypothetically like a trade for Pau?
            Last edited by sandiego17; 01-27-2014, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
              Jealousy? It is an answer to a question, but not the one you pose. The Clips would have to be dominant for a long time (multiple 3 peats) before a pang of jealousy creeps into any real Laker fans mind. I actually like the cute Clipper story, why be jealous? Little bullied kid taking their virtual shots at the bigger, badder, much much much more accomplished bully without accomplishing anything. Who doesn't appreciate a story like that? Unless you count a division title and first round exit as an accomplishment, which, frankly, for the Clips... I don't like the lesser Rivers though, but not because he's a Clipper.

Would Clip fans hypothetically like a trade for Pau?
              I think that's sort of my point. Why would fans of one of the all-time great franchises in all of sports care so much about the moderate success of a one of the all-time most pathetic franchises? I mean, it's not even a real rivalry and yet so many Lakers fans seem obsessed with and begrudging of the Clippers' relatively moderate gains. Lots of smack talk from that side of the house so short of jealousy, I'm kind of at a loss for an explanation. I mean, when you start making comparisons with a historically awful team like the Clippers thats pretty sad. And when fans of the team feel the need to recite a well-known resume, that seems a little insecure. And why? There's no reason for it bc the Lakers' position in the annals of NBA history is well established. And whatever the Clippers accomplish doesn't threaten or affect it in any way .

As for Pau, sure. But we cant afford him and he's not really the ideal fit for that role. We dont need a high dollar big with offensive skills necessarily. We need a lower salary guy that can bang a bit. Not sure why Doc keeps fooling around with wings and PGs.

Comment

• sandiego17
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Obviously disagree with the premise of your first paragraph. Few Laker fans begrudge the Clippers very modest success (would be a failure if applied to the Lakers, btw). Clipper fans, however, do think they have turned a corner and are trying unsuccessfully to kick the Lakers while they are down. Its true there aren't many real Clipper fans like you, so that has a lot to do with it. Laker fans are basically mocking the comparisons that the Clipper "fans" are alluding to. In short, there is no comparison between the Clippers and Lakers and there is definitely no threat. Clipper fans should be happy to be associated with the Lakers, even if its misguided and inaccurate.

Clips could use Pau if they want to actually do well in late spring/summer.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Clippers fans aren't allowed to believe the franchise has turned a corner? I think by most objective measurements the team has turned a corner. Now has it won a championship? No. Will it win one this year? Possibly, but that remains to be seen. They are still one of the better teams in the league...even with flaws. I haven't ever seen any Clippers fan (real or bandwagon) claim that the team's "stock" is commensurate or higher than the Lakers.' That would be foolish and those fans simply deserve to be ignored like other 8th graders. That you (and others) seem concerned about that or even pay any attention is kind of silly.

However, there is no "association" with the Lakers nor would I or any real Clippers fan desire to have one. You're right, there is no comparison between the franchises historically. And there is certainly no comparison now. The Clippers are a better team and have been for the last couple of years. That their performance is reductively evaluated on the basis of last spring's outcome is as misguided as any assertion that Clippers fans go around talking about how the team is somehow better than the Lakers historically. It just seems to me like Lakers fans are unhappy about their current plight and there's some sour grapes that the team across the hall is justifiably getting a lot more press and generating more excitement. Kind of like "little brother is fine as long as he doesn't make any noise." Screw that. I waited about 30 years to have something to be proud of with that team. I'll never be disrespectful of anyone...certainly not the Lakers...but I'm not going to stop cheering for one of the NBA's better teams or sharing the data that shows them as one. It seems to me Lakers fans are the ones with the problem. And with due respect, it sounds a lot like what we have heard from the Raiders crew since their decline. Just being honest.

Pau Gasol is a nice player. Of course he would be helpful. I'd love to have him. But he's 1)not available to the Clippers and 2) isn't the kind of player we most need. We could do really well with a Birdman-type player at significantly less cost. Offense isn't our major hangup. We need a guy who can defend the paint and scrape the boards when the frontline bigs are out. Gasol could certainly do some of that and he brings other skills to the table, but his reputation isn't as a guy that's known as a banger. More importantly, we can't afford him. We're at the apron.

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Last first. Pau is a stud, regardless of the reputation you bring up. Watch him when Spain takes on the USA and tell me again that he doesn't bring elite skills in every facet of the game to the table. He can do what is needed of him.

Clipper fans can believe the team has turned the corner, but they haven't proven it beyond a couple of seasons which would be considered failures by successful teams. Its not the NFL, in the NBA 50% of the teams make the playoffs. Personally, don't really pay much attention to them beyond sportscenter highlights, but from the few games I have seen, I do think they are good, but not in a position to win a championship unless other teams sustain a ton of injuries or they make some moves that allow them to defend consistently. You have every right to feel otherwise and you should, but I don't see it.

Not concerned about the 8th graders you mentioned, but will remind them that they are the Clippers when need be. Your second paragraph is why Clip fans need to be reminded of the respective positions and their "accomplishments" be put in perspective. You really think the Clippers get more pub? Listen to ESPN LA...Marcellus Wiley tries to talk Clippers, but is shut down all the time because "the Clippers just don't move the needle." Polite way of saying nobody cares, even in LA. Just an example, but pretty telling. The awful Lakers still get more pub than the up and coming Clippers. Crazy, right? Just like the Yankees get more pub than the Pirates or Royals. May not be fair, but it is what it is. They don't get more press and definitely not "a lot" more press than the Lakers. Again, you keep bringing up Raider crew, to me it sounds like a Pirate fan talking about how much better they are than the Yankees. Except, the Pirates, of course, have been historically much better than the Clippers, but you know what I mean. Appreciate the all due respect, really do, but trust me, my feelings are not hurt in the least bit and I assume yours aren't as well. Lakers are awful for now, let the self proclaimed rivals enjoy it.
                    Last edited by sandiego17; 01-28-2014, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Do the Pirates come into Yankee stadium and ask management to throw drapes over their monuments?
                      If IF the Clippers ever hang a banner the Lakers should set fire to the fucking thing.

Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beer Holder
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• sandiego17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                        Do the Pirates come into Yankee stadium and ask management to throw drapes over their monuments?
                        If IF the Clippers ever hang a banner the Lakers should set fire to the fucking thing.

Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beer Holder
                        Doc Rivers is a tool, remember when Garnett wasn't the biggest a-hole in the league before he played for Doc? And the class they showed their own rental Ray Allen was amazing, just for doing what they wished they could do. And then did, only much worse, a year later. F that guy.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

The Clippers get more pub nationally--I dont live in SoCal anymore so couldn't possibly be arguing that, though I am certain the Lakers remain more popular--than the Lakers for on-court stuff these days. That's all I meant. Of course the Lakers continue to get the tedious 'Lakers are Kobe and Nash-less" and "What will the Lakers do in 2015/16, LeBron, Love, Parker, etc" attention, but whatever.

I've never said my Pirates are better than your Yankees except on the court the last two or three seasons. Beyond that, it's all yours. No debate or question. In either case.

But the Raiders point is on the mark. That group conflates past performance with the current to silence those enjoying the current state of affairs. You (plural) dont want to talk current Lakers (this thread pretty much demonstrates that). The Clippers keep getting brought up, smacked, condescended to, ridiculed and yet they're the ones winning basketball games. Lots of them...right now without their top player. Meanwhile D'Antoni's guys are losing to a horrible Knicks team. Raiders fans ran the '0.0' argument during the Chargers run (And complete head-to-head domination) during the LT era while regaling us with all the history of their rings. Same thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X