Clear All
  • bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
    This is disingenuous. Why are you comparing the population of San Francisco's metropolitan area (8.5 million) to the population of New York City (8.4 million) instead of the population of New York's metropolitan area (23.5 million)??? This is Yuba-like use of stats!

Is there a "Leave Yuba Alone!!" video on Youtube yet???
    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
      I have to thank Yuba. Every once in a while, when she needs a good laugh, my fiancee asks what Yuba's been up to on the Board lately.
      Adipose

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
        There is not. However, we have a smiley for it. : lya :

:lya:

Comment

• thelightningwill
          Go Aztecs and Pads
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
          Really, what it boils down to, is not so much how big the market is, it's how much money the team can spend to buy their championship. That was really my point, and one of the biggest reasons I hate (major league) baseball.
          Yea. I don't follow baseball - just the Padres. Every once in a year, I'll flip on Sportscenter and see them talking about famous baseball players I never heard of. The only way I would have heard of a current ballplayer would be if that player had ever been on the Padres. Well, that and if that player were Derek Jeter - although I probably wouldn't recognize him without somebody telling me who he is. I just know his name and that he plays for the Yankees, which means he's probably overhyped.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

One of the many, many things that sucks about baseball, is that, if you root for any team other than a big market team, you are wasting your time. You will never get to see your team win a championship.

Here are some other things.

Id disagree. The Marlins have won two and Tampa Bay has been good the Cinicinatti has won some, so has Oakland. How good is Boston right now? The Dodgers havent done squat for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              Id disagree. The Marlins have won two and Tampa Bay has been good the Cinicinatti has won some, so has Oakland. How good is Boston right now? The Dodgers havent done squat for years.
              You disagree? So, you're confident that the Padres or the Nationals are going to win the big one some time in the near future?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

You disagree? So, you're confident that the Padres or the Nationals are going to win the big one some time in the near future?
                Thats up to the owners and i dont have confidence in ours yet. You said a small market team will never win a championship and they have. Lets see how bad our owners want to win. They are talking the talk right now but results havent backed it up. They pounded out another 4 hits yesterday.

Comment

Thats up to the owners and i dont have confidence in ours yet. You said a small market team will never win a championship and they have. Lets see how bad our owners want to win. They are talking the talk right now but results havent backed it up. They pounded out another 4 hits yesterday.
                  The only small market team that you listed was Cincinatti, and their last one was 1990. I'm talking about post-steroid/no-salary-cap-shitball.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

The only small market team that you listed was Cincinatti, and their last one was 1990. I'm talking about post-steroid/no-salary-cap-shitball.
                    Now you keep changing the stipulations, lol. First you said a small market will never win a championship, now it is post steroid era......which imo has no bearing on anything. Owners still have to pay players. And there has never been a salary cap in baseball. The Marlins have won two. The Marlins are 27th in attendance this year and Oakland is 24th. Tampa Bay is last and has had a lot of recent success though no WS wins yet. They lost in 2008 to Philly but made playoffs in 2010, 2011, 2013.

Ill stand by if the owners want to win, they will. If they dont, we will continue to suck.

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

There's a big difference between today's team salary's and team salary's of 20 years ago. There was some legwork done that I think showed no team with less than 130ish million in payroll has won a title in the past 15 years.

Small Market teams can make the postseason, but then you run into the 20 million a year pitchers that the big markets teams will throw at you.

Just look at the Dodgers with Grienke and Kershaw. Those guys make like 50 million between them. In a 7 game series those guys will beat you more times than not.

If the Padres want to win, they need to up spending significantly. They were at around 90 million this season (higher than any other year), but still woefully inept when compared to other teams. Not to mention there's a lot of empty spending in that budget with failed extensions and injured players.

Big market teams can just brush off mistakes in spending, the Padres can't. Sadly that's all recent management has done.

Comment

Now you keep changing the stipulations, lol. First you said a small market will never win a championship, now it is post steroid era......which imo has no bearing on anything. Owners still have to pay players. And there has never been a salary cap in baseball. The Marlins have won two. The Marlins are 27th in attendance this year and Oakland is 24th. Tampa Bay is last and has had a lot of recent success though no WS wins yet. They lost in 2008 to Philly but made playoffs in 2010, 2011, 2013.

Ill stand by if the owners want to win, they will. If they dont, we will continue to suck.
                        I didn't mean to give you a moving target! LOL - My gripe is mainly that there is no salary cap. Any of the 'lesser' teams' talent that gets developed gets bought out by the richer teams. There's no level playing field. Unless you get seriously lucky, you're not going to beat those teams, so what's even the point of investing your time watching? I also turned my back on baseball after the '98 steroid scandal and those guys shitting all over Maris/Mantle and the records those guys achieved - along with the money-stuffed Yankees sweeping the Padres that same year in the WS. I was like "Welp... Time to fuck this baseballs."

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

I didn't mean to give you a moving target! LOL - My gripe is mainly that there is no salary cap. Any of the 'lesser' teams' talent that gets developed gets bought out by the richer teams. There's no level playing field. Unless you get seriously lucky, you're not going to beat those teams, so what's even the point of investing your time watching? I also turned my back on baseball after the '98 steroid scandal and those guys shitting all over Maris/Mantle and the records those guys achieved - along with the money-stuffed Yankees sweeping the Padres that same year in the WS. I was like "Welp... Time to fuck this baseballs."
                          This is true and i dont like it either. I have seriously cut down on Baseball and havent seen but 10 Padres games on TV in 6 years. I follow in other ways but the frustration of that team is really at its high for me. Next year if these owners dont show they mean business then ill be done. The Padre owners have been the Gene Klien of Baseball owners thru its history.

I do love the Yankees spending like drunken fools and getting nothing to show for it. All they ever do is invest 8-10 year foolish contracts to players who shit the bed after 4 years. Sabathia, Texiera, Ichiro, Beltran,Soriano, and Jeter(though he is a career Yankee) are all old guys who cant do it anymore and those 6 alone are more than the Padres payroll.

Yes a salary cap would be nice to see some sort of equal compitiveness but the league dont care about that.

Comment

Working...
                          X