• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Yasmany Tomas

Will we sign Tomas? Sure would be an interesting signing. Probably 100 million+ however for six or seven years. I would officially be excited if we did land him.

Yasmany Tomas continues to await the day when Major League Baseball declares him a free agent, but teams have already …
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Here's the thing. I would be excited, as well. I've long regretted that we didn't do more internationally. But if we sign him, at least part of me will wonder if we're doing it strictly bc ownership said they wanted to get more involved internationally and hired Preller to execute that strategy, IE, 'make a splash.'. I wouldn't question it so much from the international standpoint but whether we had signed the 'right' international player. I certainly would be pleased to see our ownership commit that kind of money (bc they/we simply haven't in the past) to anything. But I'd sure hope they did the kind of homework on him that, say, Texas did on Yu Darvish (and Preller was obviously part of that process).

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

And I'm sure this ownership group is still smarting from the long and robust contracts for Maybin, Quentin, and Venable...maybe Gyorko too. Rich people, from what I've seen, don't particularly care for wasting or losing big money. It would be something if they went all in for this guy anyways.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
        And I'm sure this ownership group is still smarting from the long and robust contracts for Maybin, Quentin, and Venable...maybe Gyorko too. Rich people, from what I've seen, don't particularly care for wasting or losing big money. It would be something if they went all in for this guy anyways.
        I essentially agree with you. There would be something to be said for even investing that kind of money. However, we simply can't afford to invest that kind of cash and not generate a very positive ROI. You blow this one and you're probably out of the game for a long while. We just have a long history of biting on 'shiny' for PR reasons without doing our homework, Matt Bush being a prime example. And with some of these asinine contracts (I like Gyorko, but he sure doesn't look like that kind of player to me yet), this ownership group really needs to show that its more operationally effective and opportunistic than it's been in the past. Time to start hitting some home runs.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
          I essentially agree with you. There would be something to be said for even investing that kind of money. However, we simply can't afford to invest that kind of cash and not generate a very positive ROI. You blow this one and you're probably out of the game for a long while. We just have a long history of biting on 'shiny' for PR reasons without doing our homework, Matt Bush being a prime example. And with some of these asinine contracts (I like Gyorko, but he sure doesn't look like that kind of player to me yet), this ownership group really needs to show that its more operationally effective and opportunistic than it's been in the past. Time to start hitting some home runs.

GREAT point. There's no guarantee he works out. Wow. What drama!

Comment

• SFW
            PB Official Game Thread Starter
            • Jul 2013
            • NY
            • USMC
            • Send PM

Here's the thing. I would be excited, as well. I've long regretted that we didn't do more internationally. But if we sign him, at least part of me will wonder if we're doing it strictly bc ownership said they wanted to get more involved internationally and hired Preller to execute that strategy, IE, 'make a splash.'. I wouldn't question it so much from the international standpoint but whether we had signed the 'right' international player. I certainly would be pleased to see our ownership commit that kind of money (bc they/we simply haven't in the past) to anything. But I'd sure hope they did the kind of homework on him that, say, Texas did on Yu Darvish (and Preller was obviously part of that process).
            In several posts on this forum you keep saying the owners have been cheap and have always been cheap and each time I say this is a new ownership group and yet you continue to lump in these owners with owners of the past. I don't get it. This ownership group took over in August of 2012. They had nothing to do with the Bush situation.

The Padres team payroll entering each of the last few seasons....

2014 $90,094,196 (21st overall) New Ownership
            2013 $71,689,900 (25th overall) New Ownership
            2012 $55,871,900 (29th overall) Old Ownership

So in the two seasons since taking over the new owners increased payroll by $35M and jumped over 8 other MLB teams in spending. You can obviously dispute on what players the team invested in but to say they have been cheap and always have is just not accurate. It is not fair to lump in this ownership group with all other owners from the past. You are an intelligent poster on this board, just try to separate past owners from the new ones. We are all jaded by the team because of the past failures of previous owners but at least give the new owners a chance before you write them off as cheap.
            Last edited by SFW; 10-02-2014, 10:57 AM.
            1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
            2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
            3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
            4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
            5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
            6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
            7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SFW View Post
              In several posts on this forum you keep saying the owners have been cheap and have always been cheap and each time I say this is a new ownership group and yet you continue to lump in these owners with owners of the past. I don't get it. This ownership group took over in August of 2012. They had nothing to do with the Bush situation.

The Padres team payroll entering each of the last few seasons....

2014 $90,094,196 (21st overall) New Ownership
              2013 $71,689,900 (25th overall) New Ownership
              2012 $55,871,900 (29th overall) Old Ownership

So in the two seasons since taking over the new owners increased payroll by $35M and jumped over 8 other MLB teams in spending. You can obviously dispute on what players the team invested in but to say they have been cheap and always have is just not accurate. It is not fair to lump in this ownership group with all other owners from the past. You are an intelligent poster on this board, just try to separate past owners from the new ones. We are all jaded by the team because of the past failures of previous owners but at least give the new owners a chance before you write them off as cheap.
              We have never committed the kind of money to international or free agents that it would take to sign a player like Tomas. Never even been in the discussion since Kevin Brown.

That the team has now moved from the 96th percentile to the 70th percentile is an achievement (of sorts). But the decisions on signings were extremely poor. I said so at the time. They were designed primarily to alter public perceptions. Secondarily, the hope (and that's all it was) was that maybe they might alter on-field fortunes. The only thing worse than not spending money? Spending money on hopey changey. Hence my comments on Tomas. Can we pony up the money? Maybe so. Is he the right player? Have we done our homework? Would he return the highest ROI? No idea.

Give the new ownership a chance? I have. They've shown themselves to be just as feckless and tone deaf (Bud Selig? Right up there with Ray Kroc taking over the PA and Rosanne singing the national anthem) as the last clowns. And the clowns before them. Can I separate them from previous ownerships? Sure. They have different names. But so far, I see nothing that says there is a fundamental difference or that it's a professional operation. Sorry, maybe you see it differently. Or maybe you are more patient.

But I've been following the Padres since 1974. I was the ultimate eternal optimist/keep the faith guy until the early 2000s. All of these ownership groups have broken the faith with the fans. Every damn one. Only one guy was ever worth a damn and that was Larry Lucchino. And we even ran him out of town. So yes, I'm pretty jaded. And I'll remain so until I see an ownership group actually place greater value on team performance on the field (or even being persistent in their claimed 'strategy') over selling nachos.

Comment

• SFW
                • Jul 2013
                • NY
                • USMC
                • Send PM

We have never committed the kind of money to international or free agents that it would take to sign a player like Tomas. Never even been in the discussion since Kevin Brown.

That the team has now moved from the 96th percentile to the 70th percentile is an achievement (of sorts). But the decisions on signings were extremely poor. I said so at the time. They were designed primarily to alter public perceptions. Secondarily, the hope (and that's all it was) was that maybe they might alter on-field fortunes. The only thing worse than not spending money? Spending money on hopey changey. Hence my comments on Tomas. Can we pony up the money? Maybe so. Is he the right player? Have we done our homework? Would he return the highest ROI? No idea.

Give the new ownership a chance? I have. They've shown themselves to be just as feckless and tone deaf (Bud Selig? Right up there with Ray Kroc taking over the PA and Rosanne singing the national anthem) as the last clowns. And the clowns before them. Can I separate them from previous ownerships? Sure. They have different names. But so far, I see nothing that says there is a fundamental difference or that it's a professional operation. Sorry, maybe you see it differently. Or maybe you are more patient.

But I've been following the Padres since 1974. I was the ultimate eternal optimist/keep the faith guy until the early 2000s. All of these ownership groups have broken the faith with the fans. Every damn one. Only one guy was ever worth a damn and that was Larry Lucchino. And we even ran him out of town. So yes, I'm pretty jaded. And I'll remain so until I see an ownership group actually place greater value on team performance on the field (or even being persistent in their claimed 'strategy') over selling nachos.
                I definitely seem more patient than you when it comes to the Padres and Chargers (at least from reading your posts). If the owners were just happy with status quo and not worried about winning, were happy with some of the player personnel decisions or cared more about selling nachos than winning they wouldn't have increased payroll by 35% since taking over and fired the GM this season. To me that shows they are putting in an effort to produce a quality team on the field with their actions and not just blowing smoke up the fans asses with their words.

I understand the only way they can possibly win you over is by the team being turned around and turning into a annual contender but for me I am willing to give them a little time to get there before I write them off as just another Kroc, Moore or Werner.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                  Go Aztecs and Pads
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SFW View Post
                  I definitely seem more patient than you when it comes to the Padres and Chargers (at least from reading your posts). If the owners were just happy with status quo and not worried about winning, were happy with some of the player personnel decisions or cared more about selling nachos than winning they wouldn't have increased payroll by 35% since taking over and fired the GM this season. To me that shows they are putting in an effort to produce a quality team on the field with their actions and not just blowing smoke up the fans asses with their words.

I understand the only way they can possibly win you over is by the team being turned around and turning into a annual contender but for me I am willing to give them a little time to get there before I write them off as just another Kroc, Moore or Werner.
                  How did Kroc get lumped in with Moore and Werner? One of those three was not like the others.

Comment

• SFW
                    • Jul 2013
                    • NY
                    • USMC
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                    How did Kroc get lumped in with Moore and Werner? One of those three was not like the others.
                    You're right but was just listing past owners.

Comment

• SFW
                      • Jul 2013
                      • NY
                      • USMC
                      • Send PM

Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com is reporting that the Padres and Braves have emerged as the two favorites to land Thomas.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Keith Law said yesterday that the consensus was that Tomas is not an $80M player. That may be why it's taken so long. Not like Abreu and others who were snapped up pretty quickly. If we hand out that kind of $, I hope Preller knows what he's doing. Otherwise, this will have repercussions for a long, long time.

Comment

Working...
                        X