• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
    I didn't like Bochy when he was the Padres' manager. One of the reasons I barely watch baseball anymore.

Hate that pitchers don't pitch all 9 innings. Hate that there is ever even a thought that it's a good idea to take a guy out who is pitching a 1-hit shutout.

Hate that non-pitching starters take so many days off.

I don't give a shit if this means that pitcher's career will be cut short. They make enough that they don't need long careers.

Yea, I know Bochy was the manager when we made the World Series the 2nd time. But, come on. The coach who made that team was Dave Stewart. He forced his pitchers to pitch all 9 innings.

The offense, which he had no control over, wasn't that good. It was the pitching.

Cool backup catcher to Terry Kennedy. Successful manager for his teams. But shitty for baseball.

As soon as he left, Bochy instituted the boring brand of baseball that I can't stand to watch. The game is boring as fuck and people like Bochy are the reason.
    Yeah, Bochy subscribes to the role pitching that every other manager subscribes to, but in 1998 he also had Hoffman who was 53-54 in save opportunities that year. Can't argue with those results.

And I don't recall Stewart "forcing" pitchers to pitch all 9 innings that year. Kevin Brown threw a couple of complete game shutouts and Ashby had that famous 72-pitch two hit CG, but other than those two they played the same brand of baseball all year - get to the 7th, give it to Wall, Miceli, then Hoffy in the 9th.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
      I didn't like Bochy when he was the Padres' manager. One of the reasons I barely watch baseball anymore.

Hate that pitchers don't pitch all 9 innings. Hate that there is ever even a thought that it's a good idea to take a guy out who is pitching a 1-hit shutout.

Hate that non-pitching starters take so many days off.

I don't give a shit if this means that pitcher's career will be cut short. They make enough that they don't need long careers.

Yea, I know Bochy was the manager when we made the World Series the 2nd time. But, come on. The coach who made that team was Dave Stewart. He forced his pitchers to pitch all 9 innings.

The offense, which he had no control over, wasn't that good. It was the pitching.

Cool backup catcher to Terry Kennedy. Successful manager for his teams. But shitty for baseball.

As soon as he left, Bochy instituted the boring brand of baseball that I can't stand to watch. The game is boring as fuck and people like Bochy are the reason.
      Then don't watch it. Hate that pitchers don't pitch all nine innings???......when is the last time you watched baseball. Pre- free agency? Then again it's right up there with less football players and making them play both ways.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
        Sorry, who are Panda and Spence?
        And what's "baseball"? LOL! When I was young, I could have pretty much given you the name - and uniform number - of just about every player in MLB. My nickname in High School was "Stats". Today...I couldn't name 2 players, on ANY team, in all of baseball.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Game 7's in a final are usually a must see, whether you are a fan or not. I did watch 8 innings of this one, the only 8 innings of baseball I watched this season.

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
            And what's "baseball"? LOL! When I was young, I could have pretty much given you the name - and uniform number - of just about every player in MLB. My nickname in High School was "Stats". Today...I couldn't name 2 players, on ANY team, in all of baseball.
            When I first moved to England, I tried following the Padres. But all those nighttime West Coast games are impossible to follow here unless you're willing to give up sleep completely. So, when Tony retired, I stopped following baseball completely.
            Adipose

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

I'm not happy for the Giants or their fans. Sorry. Bochy is a different story I guess. He was a good manager for us and we let him go. What's new. I feel kind of empty regarding the baseball world. The Padres are pretty far removed from being a winner and that's really all I care about.
              For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

Really enjoyed the game last night.

Baseball is still a slow game for me though. But I get it.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Wheels
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
                  It's weird, they have three titles and none of those teams were what you would call dominating. I think in all three seasons they were the underdog in the playoffs and yet they still won. As a Dodger fan myself, I got in an argument with another Dodger fan last week because he thought that the Dodgers would have beaten the Giants should they have gotten past the Cards. No way...Giants win that series going away.

You are right OIP, it was a great game. They put in Madison Bumgarner and he was amazing again, yet you were sort of waiting for him to get tired and crack a bit. Then, low and behold he does ever so slightly and gives up the triple with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. Then, he digs deep and basically over powers the next hitter with high fastballs to win the series. Unbelievable performance by that guy...
                  I think for SF they have had some really great pitchers during their run, and at least one was just on fire for each of their world series. This seemed to play to their advantage in that you have a condensed starter rotation than regular season, so their aces really were able to make a great impact.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                    Game 7's in a final are usually a must see, whether you are a fan or not. I did watch 8 innings of this one, the only 8 innings of baseball I watched this season.
                    I only watched the World Series and a few other playoff games. Only because the Giants were playing. If its them, Dodgers, Padres and now Rockies the family will watch the games.
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

since we're on a baseball tangent.

Very excited for the Cubs to be bringing in Joe Maddon.
                      The Chicago Cubs are on the verge of hiring Joe Maddon as manager, as first reported by CBSSports.com.

There is alot of young talent in the Cubs organization. Could be interesting.
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                        since we're on a baseball tangent.

Very excited for the Cubs to be bringing in Joe Maddon.
                        The Chicago Cubs are on the verge of hiring Joe Maddon as manager, as first reported by CBSSports.com.

There is alot of young talent in the Cubs organization. Could be interesting.
                        I wonder if they'll take Cashner back for Starlin Castro. They have Addison Russell now and they need SPs badly. We probably will dump Everth so it seems a good fit for both teams.
                        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

My favorite baseball player of all time is Willie Mays, who only won a single World Series championship way back in 1954 when the Giants were still playing in the Polo Grounds. No one will probably bump him from being the best Giant, but with all the player movement and all, and Barry Bonds being a roider, I have to think that to Giant fans that Bochy is probably right next to Mays as the 2nd best Giant (beating out Big Mac). It would be hilarious when Bochy gets elected into the HOF if he did pick the SD logo on his plaque cap, though.

Comment

Working...
                          X