• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Which who?
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Are you?

Who are you?
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Chargers working to extend Corey Liuget

Quarterback aside, team more eager to do second contracts than third
        By Michael Gehlken8 p.m.June 1, 2015

Corey Liuget is still playing under his rookie contract.

That may change soon enough.

For weeks, the Chargers have been in talks to extend the defensive end's deal. These ongoing discussions were expected, as the team made it known at the NFL Scouting Combine in February it was interested in a Liuget extension after the draft.

Nothing has changed. He is a priority.

Quarterback aside, the team has more desire to give its players their second contract than third. A second deal, following a rookie contract, is the one players work toward upon entering the league. It's often the biggest pay day of a career, usually coinciding with the player entering his prime.

Liuget, 25, and safety Eric Weddle, 30, are both entering a contract season.

The Chargers informed Weddle's agent on Monday his deal will not be extended this year. He signed a five-year, $40 million contract in 2011 and remains among the top NFL safeties in compensation, due a $7.5 million salary this season.

But the five-time All-Pro wants to be a Charger long term. While the team has not engaged in negotiations with Weddle's agent, it is its belief an extension would involve a raise. The stance not to extend him this year all but assures he will play elsewhere in 2016.

Liuget likely will remain.

How long until an extension is completed would require guesswork, but an air of imminence surrounds his situation. Liuget has attended all team functions this offseason while awaiting the chance to review a new contract.

He was drafted in the 2011 first round.

"Before I sign anything, I want to know the basis of everything and how it's going to go," Liuget said. "Right now, they're talking. I'm just sitting and waiting. If it happens, it happens. It not, at the end of the day, I get to play football, and that's all that matters."

Liuget appeared in every game the past three years.

He has developed into a presence in the run game and as a pass rusher, an end who moves to tackle in the Chargers' sub packages. His combination of athleticism and violent hands honed during his early career have led to flashes of elite play, although he is still working to be more consistent.

A new contract, Liuget said, would mean a lot.

"This is where I got my first shot to play in the NFL," Liuget said. "These guys have given me a heck of an opportunity. To have a contract extension is security for me and my family. ... (They'll get) a leader on the field and a role model off the field, a guy that's going to come work each and every day and win football games. It's just that simple."
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Liuget needs to read the last line of the contract before he signs it, the one that says "after the expiration of this contract, the aforementioned meat shall not let the door hit him in the ass on the way out."
          Last edited by Formula 21; 06-02-2015, 10:56 AM.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
            Liuget needs to read the last line of the contract before he signs it, the one that says "after the expiration of this contract, the aforementioned meat shall not let the door hit him in the ass on the way out."
            I am good with that. Get the best tread off the tire, then replace the tire before it becomes hazardous and affects performance.
            Last edited by Panamamike; 06-04-2015, 02:48 AM.

Comment

• Sec-E4
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2014
              • Arizona
              • Send PM

That's part off the business..Nothing personal

NFL Players get handsomely rewarded for what they can provide a team at that very moment in time...It's kinda like a commision based job, You either sell or you don't and if you don't...Well then you're no good to the company

Great sales people know how to read the client and close the sale.

Hashtag #Coffeeisforclosers #putthatcupdown

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

My biggest problem with Liuget is not the fact that he is the playmaker on D, but that he allows so many big plays. Our run D is as bad as it is because the DE play the run badly at times and give up a lot of long runs, and inconsistently defend their gaps and cover up the LB so they can make plays.

I was thinking the better route was to let him play out his contract and see how he does on the consistency front. He has the ability to be a great player, but until he raises his consistency of play, and stops giving up the big plays, I am not sure he is as big a help as some people think. Right now, I think Liuget is more of a liability then a help. So, let him prove he can do more, and make him play for the contact. And don't give him a 2nd contract if he doesn't play at a higher level.
                Last edited by Steve; 06-06-2015, 05:00 AM.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  My biggest problem with Liuget is not the fact that he is the playmaker on D, but that he allows so many big plays. Our run D is as bad as it is because the DE play the run badly at times and give up a lot of long runs, and inconsistently defend their gaps and cover up the LB so they can make plays.

I was thinking the better route was to let him play out his contract and see how he does on the consistency front. He has the ability to be a great player, but until he raises his consistency of play, and stops giving up the big plays, I am not sure he is as big a help as some people think. Right now, I think Liuget is more of a liability then a help. So, let him prove he can do more, and make him play for the contact.
                  Again, I think the revolving door at OLB the last two years has had a big part in his inconsistency. I am fine with extending him.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

I think sloppy technique and inattention to detail is bigger then the OLB part.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Looking forward to a year of Luiget and Carruthers playing next to each other.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I look forward to getting Reyes off the field. He is the bigger issue, and it is a contract year for him too.

But if Liuget doesn't start to play with more focus and stop doing his own thing on D, it is time to start thinking about using a rotation that doesn't include him or Reyes. I would rather have DL who play their assignment, but have limited upside, then players with big play potential who allow big plays because they get sloppy. In the end, the big pays that you don't allow outweigh the plays that you do make.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I look forward to getting Reyes off the field. He is the bigger issue, and it is a contract year for him too.

But if Liuget doesn't start to play with more focus and stop doing his own thing on D, it is time to start thinking about using a rotation that doesn't include him or Reyes. I would rather have DL who play their assignment, but have limited upside, then players with big play potential who allow big plays because they get sloppy. In the end, the big pays that you don't allow outweigh the plays that you do make.
                          I wouldn't bench Liuget or Reyes unless we have somebody better to replace them. We probably do have somebody better than Reyes, but I don't think we have anybody yet who has outplayed Liuget over a long period of time.
                          However, I also wouldn't extend either of their contracts unless one is asking for a backup's salary.

Comment

Working...
                          X