• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

That depends on what you mean by better. No one on the DL or LB can get after the QB like those two do. But like I said, they have too many plays that they will try and penetrate and make plays while abandoning their assignments, leaving holes in the D. Those holes often lead to big plays allowed. Most of the yardage we gave up to SF in the running game, which was almost exclusively the reason we dropped in the run D to the bottom part of the league, can be traced by to the plays allowed.

Players lie Lissemore, Mathews, and Unrein may lack the big play potential, but the run D would be a lot better with guys like them playing a lot more. I would rather see us play them. They are solid players. But it will hurt our inside pass rush. I just think we come out way ahead if the nobodies are playing rather then average the few big plays and big plays allowed.

Comment

• CTrout
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

All these guys have some holes in their game, but imo DL coach Don Johnson might be the weakest link.
      Every year hes been here expecpt maybe 09 this DL has sucked. Plus we really haven't seen anyone make
      big improvements under his coaching.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

More than that, the most consistent DL we have had are all guys we bring in from other teams.

Johnson is a a big first step coach at heart. Those are the guys that want the DL penetrating and playing the run on the way to the QB. And those are exactly the sort of things that are the biggest breakdowns by our DL. They fly upfield and then are going sort hard and so out of position, they aren't ready/able to stop and take on the play when they realize they have made a mistake.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

So lock up Luiget and get him a new DL coach.
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            More than that, the most consistent DL we have had are all guys we bring in from other teams.

Johnson is a a big first step coach at heart. Those are the guys that want the DL penetrating and playing the run on the way to the QB. And those are exactly the sort of things that are the biggest breakdowns by our DL. They fly upfield and then are going sort hard and so out of position, they aren't ready/able to stop and take on the play when they realize they have made a mistake.
            It's tough to bitch about Liuget when he is following his coach's instructions. Or ignoring them so badly he should be benched. Either way, I'm not a Johnson fan. And I do think Liuget is a quality starter.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

The fact that the team is attempting to extend him with a year left on his contract shows that the team sees more in him than some posters here do.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I think he could step his game up and be the 2nd best 34 DE next to Watt. But he has to become a lot more relentless and much more focused on his technique. Liuget isn't as fast off the edge as Watt, but in terms of quickness and power, he is about the same, and maybe even a little better. But he wastes it by not keeping square and trying to dip under blockers.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I think he could step his game up and be the 2nd best 34 DE next to Watt. But he has to become a lot more relentless and much more focused on his technique. Liuget isn't as fast off the edge as Watt, but in terms of quickness and power, he is about the same, and maybe even a little better. But he wastes it by not keeping square and trying to dip under blockers.
                  I say what Steve says.

Comment

• KNSD
                    Registered Charger Hater
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Watt >>>>> Liuget. Not even remotely close.
                    Prediction:
                    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

I said he has the potential to be that good. He won't because he is prone to being undisciplined, sloppy with his technique and doesn't play with that much urgency, If he was good in any one of those categories, he would be twice the player he is today, which is to say, just flashing potential. Which is why I think, at the very least, let him play for his contract. I would not have a problem if we let him go outright, because I don't think he will ever reach that potential.

Comment

• KNSD
                        Registered Charger Hater
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

If he has the "potential", then 10 other DL have the "potential" as well. Don't kid yourselves. Watt is a freak of nature. Liuget has much potential, but not that much.
                        Prediction:
                        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                          If he has the "potential", then 10 other DL have the "potential" as well. Don't kid yourselves. Watt is a freak of nature. Liuget has much potential, but not that much.
                          KNSD and Steve are both right. JJ Watt is the best D lineman, and Corey Liuget shouldn't yet be offered a contract extension. Liuget might still be a great player, but, so far, he hasn't shown that he is.
                          There are some reasons to extend Liuget's contract: he's never missed a game in his career and we don't yet have anybody better than him.
                          However, I wouldn't want to pay big money for a player who hasn't yet shown that he's good.

Comment

Working...
                          X