• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

He is the best de for our scheme we have until proven otherwise. Pay him as such.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
      He is the best de for our scheme we have until proven otherwise. Pay him as such.
      I haven't looked, but I assume Liuget is our highest paid defensive end.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Or soon will be...
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Liuget is our highest paid by a wide margin. He has a cap # of just shy of $5.5 million this year. The next highest is Reyes at about $1.3 million. Lissemore is about $1.25. Unrein is about $875k, and Philon and Carrethers are both around $500 k. (http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-diego-chargers).

Liuget is due a big raise at the end of the season, and that is a lot for the a guy who in 4 seasons has produced (1, 7, 5.5, and 4.5 sacks - total of 18). It isn't even the sack total, since inside guys don't usually get the totals of edge players (although Watt does well splitting time). It is the number of plays he leaves on the field, and the number of big plays he allows, which is even worse for Reyes.

I agree, Liuget is ideal as a pass rushing DT in an even front, the ideal person for our pass rush line. One of the issues that I have is the number of big plays he allows, and that is tough to quantify, since the NFL will never keep stats on that, and even PFF won't do that, since they don'
          t explain their grading system.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Liuget is our highest paid by a wide margin. He has a cap # of just shy of $5.5 million this year. The next highest is Reyes at about $1.3 million. Lissemore is about $1.25. Unrein is about $875k, and Philon and Carrethers are both around $500 k. (http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-diego-chargers).

Liuget is due a big raise at the end of the season, and that is a lot for the a guy who in 4 seasons has produced (1, 7, 5.5, and 4.5 sacks - total of 18). It isn't even the sack total, since inside guys don't usually get the totals of edge players (although Watt does well splitting time). It is the number of plays he leaves on the field, and the number of big plays he allows, which is even worse for Reyes.

I agree, Liuget is ideal as a pass rushing DT in an even front, the ideal person for our pass rush line. One of the issues that I have is the number of big plays he allows, and that is tough to quantify, since the NFL will never keep stats on that, and even PFF won't do that, since they don'
            t explain their grading system.
            Yea, so no reason to give Liuget a raise. Can't we find somebody more consistent for the amount of money he makes?

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

There is always a shortage of DL, especially those with the quickness to rush the passer. Liuget has great quickness, power and a closing burst and he is chasing in, particuarly since he seems to forget how to use it for long stretches. He's never going to get used like Watt, so he is never going to have that sort of production, but there is no reason that Liuget can't be a lot better then he is. BUt because of the shortage of good 3 technique players right now, he gets paid.

I just think bringing our DL in waves, even if that means not having any who are very special is probably a better strategy. We can probably get the same results by using Philon ($465k), Lissemore ($1.25m), Carrethers ($510k), Mathews ($920k) Polepoi ($510k) and Unrein ($875k) to get about the same number of sacks/pressures and not give up the big plays to boot. And all of those guys together costs less ($4.530 m) what we pay for Liuget ($5.477 m).

If Liuget was even showing any progress, I would be OK with it. But it just seems to be the same thing. A few good games (although he production is uneven) followed by bad games where he allows a lot of yards. And don't even get me started on Reyes.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

There is always a shortage of DL, especially those with the quickness to rush the passer. Liuget has great quickness, power and a closing burst and he is chasing in, particuarly since he seems to forget how to use it for long stretches. He's never going to get used like Watt, so he is never going to have that sort of production, but there is no reason that Liuget can't be a lot better then he is. BUt because of the shortage of good 3 technique players right now, he gets paid.

I just think bringing our DL in waves, even if that means not having any who are very special is probably a better strategy. We can probably get the same results by using Philon ($465k), Lissemore ($1.25m), Carrethers ($510k), Mathews ($920k) Polepoi ($510k) and Unrein ($875k) to get about the same number of sacks/pressures and not give up the big plays to boot. And all of those guys together costs less ($4.530 m) what we pay for Liuget ($5.477 m).

If Liuget was even showing any progress, I would be OK with it. But it just seems to be the same thing. A few good games (although he production is uneven) followed by bad games where he allows a lot of yards. And don't even get me started on Reyes.
                So what do you think of Reyes?

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Same as Liuget only not as good and more inconsistent. On paper, he is the ideal SDE for our D. He can play on the edge, get around people, and then slide inside in the nickle and play DT. But he just keeps doing the same thing, using bad technique, trying to make plays and leaving holes in our D, that allow teams to run through them (see last year's SF, and the year before vs Washington).

When he plays well, he can flash the same type of ability as a poor man's JJ Watt. He will never have the same type of production, because the Texans let Watt play like a 43 DE, but Reyes can be a whole lot more productive then he is. And there is no reason he should dip his shoulder and try and slip blocks like he tend to. He needs to focus on playing stout and square and using his hands better.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Same as Liuget only not as good and more inconsistent. On paper, he is the ideal SDE for our D. He can play on the edge, get around people, and then slide inside in the nickle and play DT. But he just keeps doing the same thing, using bad technique, trying to make plays and leaving holes in our D, that allow teams to run through them (see last year's SF, and the year before vs Washington).

When he plays well, he can flash the same type of ability as a poor man's JJ Watt. He will never have the same type of production, because the Texans let Watt play like a 43 DE, but Reyes can be a whole lot more productive then he is. And there is no reason he should dip his shoulder and try and slip blocks like he tend to. He needs to focus on playing stout and square and using his hands better.
                    Rad analysis. However, if you're going to warn me not to get you started on something, I'd expect that when I don't heed your warning, that you would produce an essay no fewer than 1,000 words.

Comment

• KNSD
                      Registered Charger Hater
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

IMO, I think the Chargers don't prioritize DL all that much because they seem to believe that the best DL is a fresh DL, and that it's pretty much a waste to spend high draft picks on a position that they want to rotate bodies into. Also, most of the time only two DL are on the field due to the spread out nature of today's NFL offenses.
                      Prediction:
                      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Comment

• Sec-E4
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2014
                          • Arizona
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                          IMO, I think the Chargers don't prioritize DL all that much because they seem to believe that the best DL is a fresh DL, and that it's pretty much a waste to spend high draft picks on a position that they want to rotate bodies into. Also, most of the time only two DL are on the field due to the spread out nature of today's NFL offenses.
                          If we don't have another injury filled season..I believe that the substitute schemes we have going will benefit us come deep in the season. This is one of those "Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword" type of deals. The good news is that when healthy, We showed that we can take control of a game and do it with Swagger/Confidence. I bet Pag's is hoping we can be Successfull when we play the top teams with mobile QB's and or QB's that can scramble in the clutch like Aaron Rodgers and or Big Ben, And still look dominate when we play the Brady's and Manning.

I don't think Pags will pull a Bud Black and just keep swapping guys at an alarming rate. There will be a method to his madness and he'll let players ride out a entire game if he's looking like a stud. Game planning and match ups will definitely have a say in this too.

Comment

Working...
                          X