• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I think you can look at a lot of things Frank did wrong this season as far as adjustments and poor playcalling.

When something was clearly not working there was very little done to find the solution until it was too late
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      I think you can look at a lot of things Frank did wrong this season as far as adjustments and poor playcalling.

When something was clearly not working there was very little done to find the solution until it was too late
      There were calls I didn't like, but as I mentioned before, every OC that has ever been here can have the same thing said about them. The one thing overlooked is how much/little input McCoy had in what we ran and the plays called. You also have to add in what Rivers did at the line as far as changing the calls.

Comment

• TABF
        Por debajo del promedio
        • Jun 2013
        • SoCal
        • Send PM

Rich... I call it like I see it. Im rarley down on the team, a coach or an individual player.

I'm not shooting from the hip or picking on him! I was consistent this season in being displeased with our offensive game plan.

We had several key defensive injuries and pags kept us in every game minus Miami. The offense had injuries and found itself in crappy down and distance situations all season long. IMO, a big reason was the play calling... injuries served us lemons and we had a difficult time making lemonade.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          There were calls I didn't like, but as I mentioned before, every OC that has ever been here can have the same thing said about them. The one thing overlooked is how much/little input McCoy had in what we ran and the plays called. You also have to add in what Rivers did at the line as far as changing the calls.
          At some point these disagreements are like someone on social media trying to convince someone else to switch their political party. There is just no point.

I saw many flaws in Reich as an OC. He came into games with the wrong plan and then took far too long to come up with a new plan.
          Last edited by oneinchpunch; 01-02-2015, 11:14 PM.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
            At some point these disagreements are like someone on social media trying to convince someone else to switch their political party. There is just no point.

I saw many flaws in Reich as an OC. He came into games with the wrong plan and then took far too long to come up with a new plan.
            Well, nobody forces you to keep replying!

But you are correct - the same positions have been reworded slightly several times over.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Agreed. And some coaches don't succeed as HC right away either (Bill Belichick). I just find it amusing the amount of heat a guy playing with half a deck is getting. I can't pass judgment that the guy is a terrible OC based on what he had to work with last year. He may not be turn out to be a very good OC or he may be a very good OC but I really don't think ANY coordinator was going to do much with what we had last year.
              I agree with this, basically. But I do believe he could have done more with what he had. That inside handoff became a joke.

Comment

• RollingThunder
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                I agree with this, basically. But I do believe he could have done more with what he had. That inside handoff became a joke.
                Not just a joke but a desperation play by a guy that was in way over his head. That one play alone defines his entire coaching body of work this season and his weak minded thought process. When in panic mode just call the easiest play available because he had nothing else for you creatively. Under pressure the guy just choked and went back to the only play he could get in on time and think about. Just like the Norv calls of sproles up the gut to supposedly set up something else.

Yeah, let's just run throw away plays that put our backs up against the wall on 3rd downs. There's a reason we were successful last year on offense and it was due to taking advantage of every single down and setting up a much more makeable 3rd down. That allowed us to control the time of possession almost every game. Reich always had us in 3rd in long due to wasting plays and when we did have 3rd and short it seemed he'd throw a long bomb out there just to break the rhythm we had established. Absolutely zero feel for the game.

It really is unfathomable how bad a play caller this guy was. Whenever we even got close to establishing any kind of rhythm, he would just choke up and destroy it with playcalls like this. This guy is a horrible OC, period.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Agreed. And some coaches don't succeed as HC right away either (Bill Belichick). I just find it amusing the amount of heat a guy playing with half a deck is getting. I can't pass judgment that the guy is a terrible OC based on what he had to work with last year. He may not be turn out to be a very good OC or he may be a very good OC but I really don't think ANY coordinator was going to do much with what we had last year.
                  Was the "1/2 deck" roster Reich had REALLY substantially different from what Wiz dealt with the year before? He lost 1 starting WR (Alexander) in the offseason and then Floyd in the 3rd game and had to rely on Gates, mostly injured Royal, Tutu, and then a 3rd round rookie finally stepped up as a legit threat- and faith in the running game. He also had a revamped OL with a previously unreliable LT, Mediocre RT moving to a new position and a Rookie RT- then had to switch them around multiple times including IN GAMES as they dropped like flies all year long. Remember Harris at LT and then Fluker at LT(horrible) and Ornh subbing for Hardwick early in the Cinn playoff game? He lost his blocking TE Phillips to a knee injury, Greene was even greener, Mathews missed time as usual (tho he's credited with "playing all 16 games for the 1st time"), and our FB was so bad we replace him with a larger TE this year. We saw more Ronnie Brown- but many wanted him replaced- and those are all off the top of my head and there's probably some I missed.

IMO the biggest difference was Woodhead- who just killed it on 3rd conversions and keeping the chains moving on so many drives and helped last year's offense overachieve. Reich never found a way to replace that production and our offense suffered for long stretches because of that and zero imagination on formations, personnel groups and no in-game adjustments when the plan clearly wasn't working. That's all on the OC, IMO.
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post
                    Not just a joke but a desperation play by a guy that was in way over his head. That one play alone defines his entire coaching body of work this season and his weak minded thought process. When in panic mode just call the easiest play available because he had nothing else for you creatively. Under pressure the guy just choked and went back to the only play he could get in on time and think about. Just like the Norv calls of sproles up the gut to supposedly set up something else.

Yeah, let's just run throw away plays that put our backs up against the wall on 3rd downs. There's a reason we were successful last year on offense and it was due to taking advantage of every single down and setting up a much more makeable 3rd down. That allowed us to control the time of possession almost every game. Reich always had us in 3rd in long due to wasting plays and when we did have 3rd and short it seemed he'd throw a long bomb out there just to break the rhythm we had established. Absolutely zero feel for the game.

It really is unfathomable how bad a play caller this guy was. Whenever we even got close to establishing any kind of rhythm, he would just choke up and destroy it with playcalls like this. This guy is a horrible OC, period.
                    Wow, this is the most amusing post about him yet!

Please, if he was that panic stricken he would have ben relieved of his play calling duties. The reason we were more successful last season was our line was far better, Mathews lasted most of the season healthy, we had Woodhead, and Rivers wasn't beat up for half of the season. If you don't think those SEVERELY affected the play calling and execution than I don't know what to say.

Of course, in the end it is irrelevant what anyone here thinks. He will be a head coach somewhere or be our OC.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Wow, this is the most amusing post about him yet!

Please, if he was that panic stricken he would have ben relieved of his play calling duties. The reason we were more successful last season was our line was far better, Mathews lasted most of the season healthy, we had Woodhead, and Rivers wasn't beat up for half of the season. If you don't think those SEVERELY affected the play calling and execution than I don't know what to say.

Of course, in the end it is irrelevant what anyone here thinks. He will be a head coach somewhere or be our OC.
                      Agreed that injuries and poor OL play limited what we could do,

BUT

you could also make the argument that a good, creative OC would try to find ways to hide his team's flaws/weaknessess/injuries with more innovative playcalling. Instead we went Norvesque in the first half against KC with slow developing pass plays and then went Sproles up the gut on 4th down with the season on the line.

I wouldn't go apeshit if Reich stays, but from what I saw this season I was not impressed by any means.
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

More inovatived playcaling? We have reduced the time River has to hold the ball dramaticly we have no interior online we have so speedster to run under the deep ball no dependable running game, what the fuck do y'all expect Rivers to transport himself into the end zone Star Trek style?
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                          No Sir, I Dont Like It
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Section 457
                          • Migrant Film Worker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                          More inovatived playcaling? We have reduced the time River has to hold the ball dramaticly we have no interior online we have so speedster to run under the deep ball no dependable running game, what the fuck do y'all expect Rivers to transport himself into the end zone Star Trek style?
                          Your cat does it...
                          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X