• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KNSD
    Registered Charger Hater
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Gulls > Ice Dogs. Gulls - Original name with cool play on words. Ice Dogs - "Hey let's stick a winter adjective before Dog (dog has nothing to do with SoCal) and call it good"
    Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ratenstein
      Oh well it proved to be a stupid decision anyway because they ended up having to move to LB the next year.

But yeah, the logo did suck:
      It kind of looked like a pet for a Little Homies figure.
      I like the Long Beach Ice Dogs a lot better than the Los Angeles Ice Dogs. Ice Dogs is only a stupid name if it's attached to Los Angeles.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Ice Dogs Logo Did Suck Logo:
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Donald Butler: A not-so-typical Q&A
          By Matt Calkins 06:05p.m. Nov 9, 2014

Running backs are supposed to be elusive. Scrambling quarterbacks are supposed to be elusive. Wide receivers in the open field, too.

Yet somehow, the hardest player from the Chargers to catch up with has been a 248-pound inside linebacker.

Donald Butler has not had a good season to this point -- and he certainly hasn't enjoyed talking about it. The man who inked an $11. 5 million signing bonus last March refused to speak with any reporters after the loss to the Dolphins, denied the U-T an interview last Monday, and did his best Bill Belichick Wednesday -- giving 4-to-6-word answers out of obligation.

Hey, it's his choice. Professional athletes are paid to perform on the field, not fill notebooks.

However, when a Chargers public relations representative followed up with him Wednesday afternoon, Butler did agree to answer questions via email. It was no doubt an unusual and circuitous route, but to the veteran's credit, he did respond thoroughly and thoughtfully.

Here's a look.

U-T: How would you assess your performance so far this season? I know you've said that you "need to play better," but I'm trying to understand what you really think. Are you a little off? Are you way off? What grade would you give yourself and why?

Donald Butler: We’re nine games into the season and we still have a lot of football left to play. I will wait until after the season is over to assess my performance for the season as a whole. Would I like to play better? Yes, in every aspect of my game but more importantly we’ve lost three in a row and haven’t played to our standard as a team. We’re 5-4 at the bye and a lot of teams would love to be in this position. I think this bye will be good for everyone, it comes at a good time for us. We’ll be able to get rested up both mentally and physically for next Sunday.

U-T: Where, specifically, do the problems lie?

DB: The problem is that we’ve lost three straight and we need to get back to playing winning Charger football. We were playing really well as a unit during the five game winning streak and we need to get back to that. Defensively get off the field on third down and hold teams to field goals or less in the red zone. Those are two big areas that we’re working hard to improve on. We improve there, more often than not with our offense we’re going to win a lot of games.

U-T: Is there anything going on away from the field that is contributing to your performance?

DB: Not at all. I’m having a great time playing, love playing with the guys and love the game of football. We’ve got a lot of talented guys on this defense but haven’t played at that winning level we showed early in season. We’ve got seven games left after the bye and am looking forward to finishing strong as a unit. Starts with playing the Raiders next Sunday.

U-T: What about your health? Any lingering injuries that might be slowing you down?

DB: Not at all, when you lose games people will naturally try to dissect every little thing. I’m blessed and excited to be out there playing every Sunday. I’m looking forward to coming out of this bye rested and energized for last 7 games. Will also be good to get back few guys who’ve been out and missed some time. Have no doubt that as a defense we’ll come out and play at the winning level we are capable of during these last seven games. We have a lot of football left in front of us and I can’t wait to get back out there.

U-T: How have you felt about the criticism? I know it comes with the territory, but it's still gotta be tough -- especially when your effort has been questioned. What's it been like for you?

DB: This is the NFL so I understand it. I understand that people have jobs to do in the media and that people are going to put you under that microscope. I’ve had some great mentors along the way who’ve helped me prepare for this so I understand. As I stated previously I just need to do my job; which is to play and execute better as does every guy on our team so we can get back to winning games. Winning is the most important thing. Four of our last seven games at home and it’s going to be a great finish. I’m looking forward to what lies ahead.

U-T: What kind of an impact has this contract had on you? I don't mean in terms of lifestyle, I mean in terms of expectations. How have those expectations affected your mentality?

DB: My focus is and always will be to train and prepare to be the best that I can be. I am my own worst critic and set the highest expectations for myself. I love the game of football, so if anything, it’s made me work harder than ever for the goals I want to achieve for myself personally and for our team. I love training and preparing both mentally and physically and the contract has nothing to do with that. I’m just out there every day trying to make plays and help our team win. More importantly, as a collective defensive unit we must meet our own expectations and it starts with areas I pointed out before.

U-T: Are the fans and media singling you out unfairly? I talked to Jarret Johnson and Corey Liuget, and they both say you're playing well. What do you think? Has this all been too harsh?

DB: At the end of the day I’ve got to be accountable to my coaches and the other guys out on the field with me so doesn’t matter what the fans or media says. When you’re not winning everything gets magnified but we’re working hard to clean up the areas that I talked about earlier and we’re all excited about playing better these last seven games. Starts with the Raiders. It will be great to be back out on our field and in front of our fans.

U-T: Last one: What would you say to the fans who are doubting you? Are there positives you would point to? What's the reason they should believe you're going to deliver?

DB: Let them doubt. I’m going to keep training as hard as I can on the practice field, in the meeting room and working hard on game day. I believe that our defense is going to finish the season strong with good results. I’m working as hard as I can to help our team win our division, get back to the playoffs and help this team win a Super Bowl. I know how hungry this city is for us to bring them a Super Bowl and that’s the number one goal for all of us.

So there you have it. We'll see if Butler opens up anymore this year.

Then again, Chargers fans aren't likely concerned about him opening his mouth. They'd much rather see him shut everyone else's.

matt.calkins@utsandiego.com; on Twitter: @matt_calkins
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Lazy.
            Lying.
            Thieving.
            Piece.
            Of.
            Shit.
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

typical UT spackle from Caulkins

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

After a review of the team its roster this thread and other teams and other rosters. This team needs to invest more and with more success in big time game changing players who can stay on the field...
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

The big problem the last few years is just that we get decimated at a few spots. We lose all our pass rushing OLB (in the 34 where the majority of the pass rush comes from the OLB), drop down to the bottom of the barrel at CB (in today's NFL where you have to have 3 starting caliber DB) and then lose our top couple interior OL (key in a quick passing O that relies on spreading the D horizontally in the run game). You could almost say the same about RB, but we got lucky in finding Oliver there, and then got Brown off of waivers.

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
                    If they moved to LA and took the city name...I'm out. However, I would support a regional SoCal team, ala New England. The Chargers have talked a ton about 30% of their revenue comes from OC/LA. if they move and change the city name, they would lose the majority (or the other 70%) and not gain many more Angelenos. LA is a bad move for los bolts. We hate that city and they hate us.

Hell put the Stadium on Coastal OC property, call them SoCal Chargers and let's move on. If Rhode Island, Connetcut, Vermont, Mass and the rest of NE can claim the pasties, I can claim the Bolts if they're in OC & called SoCal.
                    I could live with that. Count me in.
                    sigpic

Comment

• thelightningwill
                      Go Aztecs and Pads
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                      I could live with that. Count me in.
                      I couldn't. No way I'd root for the So Cal Chargers.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Yeah, I'd be ok with that.
                        I didn't hate the California Angels name, or even Anaheim Angels one. As long as it's not the Los Angeles Chargers of Anaheim.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                          Grammar Police
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

The San Diego Chargers of Anahiem, by way of Los Angeles...
                          Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                          X