• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
    But those phrases I've quoted demonstrate a lack of respect for those with more liberal leanings. If you can't see what's objectionable about these phrases, I might have to conclude your politics is as far right as his.
    How far right is he? And is there anything particularly wrong with being moderate right, right or far right? How do you define any of them? His descriptors might be offensive to liberals, but probably not to registered independents. But his descriptors are his opinions and he's within his rights to express them, even if you, me and others find them silly or unfortunate.

As far as "offending" people by using cartoonish characterizations of political philosophies, you must not pay much attention to the current milieu. That's today's political climate. There's no decorum or trust or mutual respect. It's all either this or that, with no gray area anywhere. And if you are this or that, you'll be demonized for it. In that light, SDFan's characterizations are contextually pretty mild.

Comment

• KNSD
      Registered Charger Hater
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
      It's not just the clown committee (which is a significant factor), it's all of the jaded cynics who see evil conspiracy capitalism in everything the ownership tries to do. These are the same people that derailed Petco and their legions grew after that debacle. They're the same ones that blame the ownership for the stupid ticket guarantee negotiated by their elected representatives. A lot of San Diegans are small marketers who really can't see anything bigger.
      How about "support for honest capitalism"? If a new football stadium is profitable, then somebody would have built one already.

$1 billion stadium/ 20 years of operation = $50 million/ year without interest, or $5 million/Charger game. 70k fans/game*$200/fan =$14 million/game revenue. Done deal, right?
      Prediction:
      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
        Is pinnhead independent voter OK for use???
        Who voted for Ryan Mathews?
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
          How about "support for honest capitalism"? If a new football stadium is profitable, then somebody would have built one already.

$1 billion stadium/ 20 years of operation = $50 million/ year without interest, or $5 million/Charger game. 70k fans/game*$200/fan =$14 million/game revenue. Done deal, right?
          If only life were that simple.

Comment

• sandiego17
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Someone has, just not in San Diego. How do tax credits work in this 'honest capitalism'? Should they all be wiped out?

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Hey I'm one of those pinheads and.... feel free to get the County involved. You county folk are a bunch of beer guzzling registered Republicans who talk a good game but in the end you've been leaching off the city forever. Time for you to step up and carry the load. ;p
              at least you admit it- but how can you be a Chargers fan and not want them to stay while helping vilify the ownership at every turn? :banghead:

As I posted earlier, San Diego Stadium in Mission Valley was a cooperative county-wide venture with a Sports Authority specifically created to get it done because it was a no brainer project for the benefit of the general public. Time for the sequel. The only thing that's changed since then is shrill public hostility from some citizens with more political clout than common sense towards 1 of the main expected permanent tenants (SDSU would obviously be another) simply because they happen to support Republican issues and candidates and are successful capitalists.

You don't see anything wrong with that? What happened to the bigger picture of the public good?
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

doesn't work like that. How about all the free advertising for San Diego and the jobs and taxes paid that contribute to the local economy? When you say "somebody would have built 1 already" it sounds like a thinly veiled reference to the Spanos family and the Trolls on SDUT comments who always chant the mantra of "let Spanos build it himself with no public money" as if there would be absolutely no benefit for the citizens of the region or his employees and every penny of a public/private partnership would be "corporate welfare" and 100% profit back to Spanos and everybody else gets screwed to enhance the family fortune. That is SOOOO small minded I can't even relate to how educated individuals mouth those words or have those thoughts.

How would people of that mindset react if the family DID build a stadium with their own $ and deleted the name San Diego from the team and all team merchandise and advertising, moved the corporate offices to Mexico to avoid US taxes and hired only people from Stockton to work for the team and banned all public officials and uses from the the place?

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

How far right is he? And is there anything particularly wrong with being moderate right, right or far right? How do you define any of them? His descriptors might be offensive to liberals, but probably not to registered independents. But his descriptors are his opinions and he's within his rights to express them, even if you, me and others find them silly or unfortunate.

As far as "offending" people by using cartoonish characterizations of political philosophies, you must not pay much attention to the current milieu. That's today's political climate. There's no decorum or trust or mutual respect. It's all either this or that, with no gray area anywhere. And if you are this or that, you'll be demonized for it. In that light, SDFan's characterizations are contextually pretty mild.

My views are as "far right" as John Kennedy's were in 1960 Remember "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"? Today's Democrats would label that EXTREME and kick JFK out of the party! Most people would be shocked at how mainstream Conservatism was then and still is if they did a little reading. The Left has been very good at relentlessly promoting the false idea that all their "progressive" agenda ideas are in the American values middle and anyone who questions their agenda are out of the mainstream and on the fringe and should be silenced and not in power.

I'm sure glad its back to football this weekend...

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ratenstein
                    Yeah, I think it shouldn't take a village to build a stadium nor to build a dang fence. Do I trust anyone who says, if you like the team you have, you can keep the team you have? I don't think so. We need to repeal and replace this current ownership group in a fast n' furious fashion.
                    But pretty much every team has gone the village to build a stadium approach. The NY teams didn't, but NY has advantages that, yeah, a SD doesn't.

Why do you want to repeal this current ownership group? I might be more understanding of that sentiment in the early Alex days, but why now? What is the huge issue with this ownership?

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Opera singer and web developer.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                      You took issue with 1 posters language, but not the others. Why?
                      The difference between the two statements I plucked from SDfan's post and the two you quoted is that the latter comments are non-partisan (or at least they seem so to someone like me who has no knowledge of the political landscape in San Diego municipal government) while the former seem to belittle one side. Perhaps it's a bit hypocritical of me, but I have far less problem with saying all politicians are crooks than I do with blanket statements that label liberals as nutjobs and conservatives (despite my tongue-in-cheek remark to SDfan) as fascists, especially on a discussion board where we members run the political gamut.
                      Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                        You failed to mention how SDFan gave the current Mayor's Office credit for being open minded enough to seek a solution in the face of his critics.
                        SDfan is a very intelligent and fair person. I have no issue with the content of his post or the opinions he expressed besides what I have already drawn attention to.
                        Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Send PM

you must not pay much attention to the current milieu.
                          Too true. I try my best to ignore it. Partisanship bores me. Party hardliners are like political Yubakings, far more interested in winning the argument than in being right. England is going down that path, too, though I try my best to ignore the squabbling here as well.
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X