• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • homeless simpson
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
    I guess all those injuries that forced us to play scrubs mean nothing to you. Because our scrubs were able to win games against awful teams you assume they can do so against playoff-caliber teams? That's a bit unrealistic. I wish we were undefeated, but I would have to have my head examined if I thought the Chargers haven't done anything yet.
    most of my comments in this thread is about the athlete mentality of well the season is almost over, time to play playoff football. or the previous super bowl winners thinking, we won it last year so we know how to get it done again (yet most teams don't repeat). Or the previous mentality of the Chargers in particular of we made the playoffs before so we know we can get there again.

it might've been Qsmokey a few years back that said, stop acting or telling us you know what it takes to get it done (as in win) when you haven't actually accomplished anything (can't win or get far in the playoffs, or can't even make the playoffs). It might've been in reference to quotes from Shaun Phillips (and you know he's sarcastically well loved here)...but I guess it depends on if you like the player saying "it's time to to start playing like we're capable of playing in December". If it was Phillips you'd say stfu, you should've been doing that all year long...If it was Rivers, well as much as I like Rivers, after a while it starts sounding hollow too after all these years. ..

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner reports that St. Louis will be without defensive tackle Alex Carrington, cornerback Lamarcus Joyner, receiver Damian Williams and cornerback Marcus Roberson. Also, defensive end Chris Long likely will not be activated from injured reserve for Sunday’s game.

Comment

• thelightningwill
        Go Aztecs and Pads
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner reports that St. Louis will be without defensive tackle Alex Carrington, cornerback Lamarcus Joyner, receiver Damian Williams and cornerback Marcus Roberson. Also, defensive end Chris Long likely will not be activated from injured reserve for Sunday’s game.
        I forgot about Chris Long. Isn't he Howie's son? Boooooooooooooooo!

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Opera singer and web developer.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
          Don't feel sorry for me...now. You should have felt sorry for me when I allowed myself to care (newsflash: I still care too much) and this silly game, this silly team, drove me to distraction week in and week out. You can only have your heart ripped out - with a wooden spoon - so many times before you start to expect the worst, at every turn. I won't even allow myself to entertain the possibility that things could actually go our way. It's too disheartening when then don't. The acid and negativity in my posts is really directed at my extreme disappointment of allowing myself (key words) to be so affected by the outcome of something so meaningless.
          So you feel the need to poison it for the rest of us, too?
          Adipose

Comment

• Boltergeist
            Pesky apparition
            • Jun 2013
            • Baja Oklahoma
            • Send PM

No, we should be rooting for Miami and against NE, because we are absolutely competing for the top seed. What's with all this defeatist bullshit. The Broncos won't have a tie-breaker on us when we beat them in San Diego, or when we finish with the better record. I'm not prepared to hand them the division crown yet. If the Rams can blow them out, they can lose other games, and we are certainly capable of beating every team on our schedule. Yes, whether we actually do so is another matter entirely, but let's play the games instead of just handing it to them.
            I think they would still have the tiebreaker by virtue (or vice) of our loss to the Chefs. Nevertheless, if they lose to the Fins and we beat the Rams and them, we will have the better record. After that, it will be all about holding serve. If we don't beat the Rams and the Broncos, our playoff hopes are slim to none anyway. That's why I'll be rooting for the Fins today... that and because I HATE THE FUCKING BRONCOS.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

So you feel the need to poison it for the rest of us, too?
              Why would Q's relating his own personal fan experience poison anything for you or anyone else? Unless of course, you feel the same way down deep but choose not to admit to it...and therefore project all your angst about the team onto Q instead?
              For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                Why would Q's relating his own personal fan experience poison anything for you or anyone else? Unless of course, you feel the same way down deep but choose not to admit to it...and therefore project all your angst about the team onto Q instead?
                I don't think that has anything to do with it. If it's his coping mechanism, than calling out everyone else who doesn't share his pessimistic safety net misses the mark. We're all capable of deciding whether or not it's too painful to follow the team.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  I don't think that has anything to do with it. If it's his coping mechanism, than calling out everyone else who doesn't share his pessimistic safety net misses the mark. We're all capable of deciding whether or not it's too painful to follow the team.
                  Two great posts that BOTH hit the mark. THere are few posters here who definitely go the negativity route when things are less than perfect; I suspect that 'venting' here has some sort of twisted therapeutic value. Much as I hate to admit it, there is some truth to the 'misery wants company' theory, too.

However, rich is also correct. It *is* my coping mechanism; but the bigger question is why I should even NEED a coping mechanism for something as silly as football? The majority of posters here, I suspect, gain a certain amount of pleasure from watching the Chargers, win or lose. And it's those guys that I envy.

I just need to officially 'retire' from football fandom altogether, and it's not looking good to wait until the Chargers win a Super Bowl.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Two great posts that BOTH hit the mark. THere are few posters here who definitely go the negativity route when things are less than perfect; I suspect that 'venting' here has some sort of twisted therapeutic value. Much as I hate to admit it, there is some truth to the 'misery wants company' theory, too.

However, rich is also correct. It *is* my coping mechanism; but the bigger question is why I should even NEED a coping mechanism for something as silly as football? The majority of posters here, I suspect, gain a certain amount of pleasure from watching the Chargers, win or lose. And it's those guys that I envy.

I just need to officially 'retire' from football fandom altogether, and it's not looking good to wait until the Chargers win a Super Bowl.
                    Unfortunately, I see much to much of people blaming other people (posters) that criticize the team when the team stinks. It's a way of insulating their fandom. They can't blame the team because then they wouldn't be a good fan. Therefore they tear apart the posters that do it instead. But I seriously doubt people know that they do this. Or will ever admit to it.
                    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Send PM

Um, don't be dense, McFly. Q's personal experience doesn't poison anything for me. I'm talking about constantly criticizing people who hate on the Raiders, trying to convince us that our priorities are out of whack or something. If I want to hate the Raiders, it shouldn't affect Q at all -- unless he really is a Raiders fan. Part of being a Chargers fan for me is hating on the Raiders. It's fun. There aren't too many contexts in which it is acceptable to hate on something, and sports is one of them. If Q wants to P on my Raider hate, then fuck Q. And, as always, FUCK THE RAIDERS!
                      Adipose

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Um, don't be dense, McFly. Q's personal experience doesn't poison anything for me. I'm talking about constantly criticizing people who hate on the Raiders, trying to convince us that our priorities are out of whack or something. If I want to hate the Raiders, it shouldn't affect Q at all -- unless he really is a Raiders fan. Part of being a Chargers fan for me is hating on the Raiders. It's fun. There aren't too many contexts in which it is acceptable to hate on something, and sports is one of them. If Q wants to P on my Raider hate, then fuck Q. And, as always, FUCK THE RAIDERS!
                        It's just...stupid.

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Send PM

It's just...stupid.
                          Well, so is Bill and Ted, but that didn't stop a lot of us from enjoying it.

:finger:
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X