Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
    It is a small sample size for all 3, especially T. Johnson and D. Parham but good results.
    T. Johnson seems more of just a vertical speed threat but if that is your #5 WR then we should be in great shape going forward.
    Yeah, Johnson is going to be a guy who doesn't make a lot of plays, but breaks one every once in awhile, forcing defenses to respect his speed when he is on the field.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Send PM

Tyron Johnson has made some big time catches in traffic in recent games. In addition to what he did today, last week he hauled in a 54-yarder between two defenders. I'd like to see him get more balls thrown at him. He has caught 5 of the 6 balls thrown at him this season for 220 yards - a 44-yard average.

Guyton had that bad drop then came right back and made a really nice catch for more yards on the next play.

Comment

• kgbpasha
        #болтап
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        Tyron Johnson has made some big time catches in traffic in recent games. In addition to what he did today, last week he hauled in a 54-yarder between two defenders. I'd like to see him get more balls thrown at him. He has caught 5 of the 6 balls thrown at him this season for 220 yards - a 44-yard average.

Guyton had that bad drop then came right back and made a really nice catch for more yards on the next play.
        Absolutely.
        T Johnson and Guyton can get it done.
        With no O-line to speak of, it puts major pressure on Herbert and he's not able to hold the ball long enough for them to separate.

No idea why Hill or Reed were drafted.

On kickoffs, Reed is good for running maybe 10 yards before putting the brakes on and taking the tackle. No outside burst. No vision.
        No change of direction. Not For Long in this league.

Hill is invisible.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by kgbpasha View Post

Absolutely.
          T Johnson and Guyton can get it done.
          With no O-line to speak of, it puts major pressure on Herbert and he's not able to hold the ball long enough for them to separate.

No idea why Hill or Reed were drafted.

On kickoffs, Reed is good for running maybe 10 yards before putting the brakes on and taking the tackle. No outside burst. No vision.
          No change of direction. Not For Long in this league.

Hill is invisible.
          Your description of a Reed KO return is spot on. He seems to be in over his head at this level and doesn't see the field. He's nothing like he was at Virginia.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Your description of a Reed KO return is spot on. He seems to be in over his head at this level and doesn't see the field. He's nothing like he was at Virginia.
            The question is - how much would a good ST coach help him out?

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

I read Gruden's post-game comments this morning...he didn't mention their names directly but he had some praise for Jalen Guyton and Tyron Johnson...that the Chargers have done a good job developing these guys into legit weapons for Herbert.

Both of these guys continue to improve as the season progresses. Johnson in particular - TDs in back to back games while running routes, not just deep balls over the top. Johnson has displayed very good hands...he hasn't made a bad drop that I can recall, which is what you might expect from a practice squadder seeing his first NFL game action. Guyton had that drop last night, but he has caught some tough balls as well. Both of them are developing into complete WRs, turning what once was a liability - lack of WR depth - into a strength. And the connection and familiarity they are developing with Herbert is going to be so valuable moving forward. As mentioned above, both have sub 4.4 speed, and with Herbert's big arm....just something to be positive about looking ahead.

Comment

• therber219
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2017
                • Iowa
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The question is - how much would a good ST coach help him out?
                Wait... You mean good special teams coaching can help players reach their potential? Can this work I'm all aspects of the game?? It blows the mind

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

I read Gruden's post-game comments this morning...he didn't mention their names directly but he had some praise for Jalen Guyton and Tyron Johnson...that the Chargers have done a good job developing these guys into legit weapons for Herbert.

Both of these guys continue to improve as the season progresses. Johnson in particular - TDs in back to back games while running routes, not just deep balls over the top. Johnson has displayed very good hands...he hasn't made a bad drop that I can recall, which is what you might expect from a practice squadder seeing his first NFL game action. Guyton had that drop last night, but he has caught some tough balls as well. Both of them are developing into complete WRs, turning what once was a liability - lack of WR depth - into a strength. And the connection and familiarity they are developing with Herbert is going to be so valuable moving forward. As mentioned above, both have sub 4.4 speed, and with Herbert's big arm....just something to be positive about looking ahead.
                  Agreed. Nice to see.
                  I move towards RB 1b, OL and lotsa D as PON's.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Apparently Keenan is coaching up the young WR’s

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                      Apparently Keenan is coaching up the young WR’s

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/st...815739904?s=21
                      Yep. Doesn't surprise me, I had assumed that KA had a hand in these youngsters developing. Make sure KA is a Charger for for life. When he's ready to retire from playing, offer him a coaching contract he can't refuse.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

I've wanted to do a season wrap on these three young studs because I think they all have a future with the Bolts and can play a role in making this a dynamic offense with Herbert. All three ended the season with 3 TDs. But one of these guys really stood out and PFF thinks he is going to be a breakout star next season. It is of course:

Tyron Johnson. He only had 20 receptions but he turned those into 398 yards - a phenomenal 19.9 average. He has that 4.34 speed, which he put on display this season. But to me the most impressive thing about him is he has money hands. He doesn't drop the ball. He's only 193 lbs on 6-1 frame and he is clutch. Remember that Mail Harry in Buff where he come out of the crowd with the ball and almost made it to the end zone? He was only targeted 26 times and his catch rate was a remarkable 77 percent. He yielded a 156.7 passer rating, almost perfect. Later in the season he really came on not just as a deep threat but as a credible route runner. He really emerged in the Atlanta game where he caught 6 of 7 passes, including a short TD and that spring across the middle of the field when Herbert hit him for 25 yards to set up the game-winning FG. He is going to only get better and be a bona fide No. 3 or possibly No. 2 guy who can also get behind a defense and take it to the house.

Jalen Guyton led the young guns in receptions (28) and receiving yardage (511). He made some really exciting plays, and is as fast as Johnson (4.35). But he also had some bad drops, especially toward the end of the season. He was targeted 55 times and his catch rate was just 51 percent. Hopefully he can work past the drops, because that is the only thing holding him back. The thing I like about Guyton is he has some size - 6-1 212 lbs - to go with that speed.

Donald Parham kind of disappeared after the Jax game, when he caught his 2nd TD and just his 2nd reception. But when HH went on the COVID list he showed up and contributed, including that nifty TD catch v. the Chiefs. I think he is also a keeper, a guy who hasn't reached his ceiling yet. It's hard not to like a guy who's 6-8. He caught 10 of 20 targets for 159 yards. Only a 50 percent catch rate, which he needs to improve.

Stephen Anderson also showed up in the absence of HH the final two games, catching 7 of 9 targets, and showing some YAC ability. Makes me wonder why he wasn't used more often during the season. In total he caught 8 of 11 for 109 yards and a catch rate of 72.7 percent.

I don't know what to make of KJ Hill, he didn't do much, but I still have some confidence he can develop. He might make a pretty decent depth WR. He caught 3 of 3 targets in the 2nd Raiders game. On the season he caught 7 of 11 for 106 yards. No TDs. A respectable 63.6 percent rate. I didn't particularly like him as a punt returner; I don't see that as his strength.

Joe Reed is an even bigger mystery. He had 5 rushes for 29 yards and the one TD v. Jax on a 7-yard run. He was only active for 11 games, and he lost his job as the kickoff return man, which was supposed to be his biggest asset. He did have that punt fumble recovery in week 17 that turned the game in the Chargers' favor. I don't know what happened, if he was misused by Lynn's staff or if he just lost his confidence. Too soon IMO to give up on him, he may be a completely different player next season under a new staff.

In closing, I want to acknowledge Nasir Adderley's success returning kicks later in the season. I was totally shocked to see him in that role later in the season. He had some nifty returns, including a 76 yarder. He started returning kickoffs in Week 13 v. NE and in total had a 11 returns for an average of 29 yards. Not bad. I'd like to see what he can do as a punt returner too.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

I've wanted to do a season wrap on these three young studs because I think they all have a future with the Bolts and can play a role in making this a dynamic offense with Herbert. All three ended the season with 3 TDs. But one of these guys really stood out and PFF thinks he is going to be a breakout star next season. It is of course:

Tyron Johnson. He only had 20 receptions but he turned those into 398 yards - a phenomenal 19.9 average. He has that 4.34 speed, which he put on display this season. But to me the most impressive thing about him is he has money hands. He doesn't drop the ball. He's only 193 lbs on 6-1 frame and he is clutch. Remember that Mail Harry in Buff where he come out of the crowd with the ball and almost made it to the end zone? He was only targeted 26 times and his catch rate was a remarkable 77 percent. He yielded a 156.7 passer rating, almost perfect. Later in the season he really came on not just as a deep threat but as a credible route runner. He really emerged in the Atlanta game where he caught 6 of 7 passes, including a short TD and that spring across the middle of the field when Herbert hit him for 25 yards to set up the game-winning FG. He is going to only get better and be a bona fide No. 3 or possibly No. 2 guy who can also get behind a defense and take it to the house.

Jalen Guyton led the young guns in receptions (28) and receiving yardage (511). He made some really exciting plays, and is as fast as Johnson (4.35). But he also had some bad drops, especially toward the end of the season. He was targeted 55 times and his catch rate was just 51 percent. Hopefully he can work past the drops, because that is the only thing holding him back. The thing I like about Guyton is he has some size - 6-1 212 lbs - to go with that speed.

Donald Parham kind of disappeared after the Jax game, when he caught his 2nd TD and just his 2nd reception. But when HH went on the COVID list he showed up and contributed, including that nifty TD catch v. the Chiefs. I think he is also a keeper, a guy who hasn't reached his ceiling yet. It's hard not to like a guy who's 6-8. He caught 10 of 20 targets for 159 yards. Only a 50 percent catch rate, which he needs to improve.

Stephen Anderson also showed up in the absence of HH the final two games, catching 7 of 9 targets, and showing some YAC ability. Makes me wonder why he wasn't used more often during the season. In total he caught 8 of 11 for 109 yards and a catch rate of 72.7 percent.

I don't know what to make of KJ Hill, he didn't do much, but I still have some confidence he can develop. He might make a pretty decent depth WR. He caught 3 of 3 targets in the 2nd Raiders game. On the season he caught 7 of 11 for 106 yards. No TDs. A respectable 63.6 percent rate. I didn't particularly like him as a punt returner; I don't see that as his strength.

Joe Reed is an even bigger mystery. He had 5 rushes for 29 yards and the one TD v. Jax on a 7-yard run. He was only active for 11 games, and he lost his job as the kickoff return man, which was supposed to be his biggest asset. He did have that punt fumble recovery in week 17 that turned the game in the Chargers' favor. I don't know what happened, if he was misused by Lynn's staff or if he just lost his confidence. Too soon IMO to give up on him, he may be a completely different player next season under a new staff.

In closing, I want to acknowledge Nasir Adderley's success returning kicks later in the season. I was totally shocked to see him in that role later in the season. He had some nifty returns, including a 76 yarder. He started returning kickoffs in Week 13 v. NE and in total had a 11 returns for an average of 29 yards. Not bad. I'd like to see what he can do as a punt returner too.
                          Good wrap up. I was higher on Guyton earlier in the season but I thought that Johnson by seasons end was a better overall receiver. I am excited to see what these guys can do with a full off season. Guyton needs to get reps with Herbert, along with the other receivers but he specifically needs to work on his drops for sure. Our WR group with these two young guys, Allen and MW is a very good group with a lot of talent and diverse ability. It can and will give DC's fits.

I was and am a huge Parham fan. I think he showed a lot of promise and still has a lot of room to grow. I also think he was totally misused last season. I would have fined Stichen or whatever the hell the OC's name is $15,000 for every play that he was not in the game in the red zone.

With Andersn and Parham (hopefully HH coming back) I think our TE group has the makings of a very good and diverse TE group.

Comment

Working...
                          X