Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

We’ve never been a blitzing team under Gus though. I suppose you can make the argument that if we’re going to be beaten over the top anyways, we might as well do it by blitzing. I wouldn’t mind Bradley blitzing more. But against QBs like Brady and Brees who are so good against the blitz, it’s a hard decision for me.
    We do not have ideal personnel at CB to be a big M2M team (which we need to address) but we can certainly be more aggressive on early downs. More zone, run stuffing, and combo coverage blitz concepts, This can put down and distance more in our favor to excel on 3rd down.
    GusD also needs to stay aggressive in the 4Q and last 4 minutes to close out half/game.
    This of course is simply my personal preferences but also supported by statistics.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

It's not so much the "blitz" or the "aggression"..,. it's the predictability.

Teams know what they Bolts are going to do, and they take advantage of it.

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

nice read and i agree the offense is finally going in the right direction in terms of variety which keeps defenses honest, but especially in actually, since Herbert has become the starter, scoring TD's instead of FG's...... eventually this will be a great offense averaging over 30 points per game.....

the problem like I keep saying is our defense, since Gus has been coach, always gives up easy scores whenever the opposition really needs it at the end of the first half or game ..... or when we have jumped out to a lead that forces the other team to actually throw the ball downfield...... Teams are figuring out that the way to beat our defense is to throw the damned ball..... especially downfield because our defense, whether it is personnel or scheme has zero clue how to stop any QB who wants to actually score.....

even lowly Bengals moved the ball easily on that last drive that did result in an easy game-winning TD that was taken away because if a penalty..... we won because of a meaningless panalty but that does not change the fact that our defense could not even slow them down when it really counted..... just like last year and every game this year so far.....

Saints made the blunder of scoring too fast to tie the game because our players or scheme made it way too easy, giving our offense a chance at the FG we should have made.......

It has to be the players or schemes(its not the opponent, because bad teams are successful against our defense too)...... i have to go with the scheme and defensive play calling over personnel because it has been this way for years with different groups of players and against many different teams......

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

It has to be the players or schemes(its not the opponent, because bad teams are successful against our defense too)...... i have to go with the scheme and defensive play calling over personnel because it has been this way for years with different groups of players and against many different teams......
          I object. It's the personnel. If Bradley had a cornerback who could erase receivers from a game, would he be as hesitant to blitz? None of our corners are "take a side of the field away" good. Not Hayward, Michael Davis, or any of the others. Gus doesn't have a cornerback like that. CBs like those change the game. This team had a chance to address CB in the draft, but they were content and complacent with what they have/had.

Furthermore, this team is 25th in sacks. Not much better than last year, where they were 29th. Most of the sacks come from Bosa and the usual suspects. That doesn't cut it. D-line is an area where you need depth at pass rushing

Gus is a coordinator who needs the right pieces on the roster for his scheme to work right. This is something that is evident from his time in Seattle.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Top defensive priority going on 3 years is drafting a solid cb
            still have hopes for Harris
            P1. Block Destruction
            P2. Shocking Effort
            P3. Ball Disruption
            P4. Obnoxious Communication

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post
              nice read and i agree the offense is finally going in the right direction in terms of variety which keeps defenses honest, but especially in actually, since Herbert has become the starter, scoring TD's instead of FG's...... eventually this will be a great offense averaging over 30 points per game.....

the problem like I keep saying is our defense, since Gus has been coach, always gives up easy scores whenever the opposition really needs it at the end of the first half or game ..... or when we have jumped out to a lead that forces the other team to actually throw the ball downfield...... Teams are figuring out that the way to beat our defense is to throw the damned ball..... especially downfield because our defense, whether it is personnel or scheme has zero clue how to stop any QB who wants to actually score.....

even lowly Bengals moved the ball easily on that last drive that did result in an easy game-winning TD that was taken away because if a penalty..... we won because of a meaningless panalty but that does not change the fact that our defense could not even slow them down when it really counted..... just like last year and every game this year so far.....

Saints made the blunder of scoring too fast to tie the game because our players or scheme made it way too easy, giving our offense a chance at the FG we should have made.......

Beating us downfield is what is happening this year. Bradley’s scheme is built specifically to minimize the big plays prior to this season. It’s why in the past we’ve had “success” against KC’s offense compared to other teams. It’s the short quick throws that have been our defensive Achilles heels. This year has thrown everything out of whack.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                good read xenos. there's also another stat...1-4. Changing up for the heck of it hasnt done a thing to improve the team, especially on D.
                I know there are some who will roll their eyes....we have been through this before...but we are decimated with injuries, and played tough and lost close games(2 in OT) to 3 elite teams and 1 competitive team thus far, while trying to find an identity with a new QB. We should beat the Jags, and then I think find out who we are, this year, over the following 3 games. Stay tuned....
                The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

Working...
                X