• Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
    Disagree.

You could make the argument that coaching should try to cover up as much of your players' weaknesses and bring out as much of their strengths as possible. I mean that's the ideal situation and obviously it doesn't always play out that way, but you get what I'm saying.

That being said, yes you're absolutely right, the OL is simply awful right now and it definitely hinders what we can do. I still think our offensive playcalling could be WAY better to try to help matters. Did we run a single screen all night? What about a trick play here or there to at least get the defense to stop being so aggressive. I too am sick of the draw plays out of shotgun. Our running game has zero creativity, but the sad part is that literally half the time it doesn't matter because our RB is getting hit behind the line.
    The way to overcome a weak line is with quick developing plays. That said, if the pressure is coming up the middle, there's very little you can do. The adjustments we made last season worked brilliantly because we were weak on the perimeter but strong up the middle. This season we are without Hardwick and Clary, Rinehart has regressed, Porkchops has sucked, and C has been a revolving door. Thus, we are prone to A-gap blitzes, which New England and Arizona exploited. There were a couple of plays where the pressure up the middle was so quick, all Rivers had time to do was tuck the ball and crumple into a fetal position. The quick hitting plays thus cease to be effective, and the O will need to keep a RB in to pick up blitzers. Brown had a couple of nice blitz pickups, but our RBs aren't great at this in general.
    Adipose

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
      The way to overcome a weak line is with quick developing plays. That said, if the pressure is coming up the middle, there's very little you can do. The adjustments we made last season worked brilliantly because we were weak on the perimeter but strong up the middle. This season we are without Hardwick and Clary, Rinehart has regressed, Porkchops has sucked, and C has been a revolving door. Thus, we are prone to A-gap blitzes, which New England and Arizona exploited. There were a couple of plays where the pressure up the middle was so quick, all Rivers had time to do was tuck the ball and crumple into a fetal position. The quick hitting plays thus cease to be effective, and the O will need to keep a RB in to pick up blitzers. Brown had a couple of nice blitz pickups, but our RBs aren't great at this in general.

I agree with what you said, but I still think they could of had success doing just what you said, quick developing plays quick flare out or screen to the running back, or quick slants to the TE because our WR weren't getting any separation. I know the blitz was coming up the middle, but it seems like Rivers was still looking to get the deeper routes completed. I like to see more screens or flare passes to Mathews he has good speed and usually can get pass the first guy and when hit he maintains balance to get positive yards. Simple concepts that Frank Riech should of made adjustments for.

Comment

Working...
      X