• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Putting weight in the past when it comes to sports usually acts as nothing more than context. Sure, the Broncos have performed exceedingly well against the Chargers in recent years, but teams change from year to year, not to mention week to week.

The Broncos head into Sunday's matchup with a win over the Chargers in Week 8, and though that game shows some elements of what might happen, each team has changed considerably since that matchup.

For the Broncos, the biggest change has been their moves on the offensive line. After moving Will Montgomery into the starting center slot while sliding Manny Ramirez to right guard and Louis Vasquez to right tackle, the line has settled in as of late, helping C.J. Anderson find the holes to give him two consecutive weeks of career-best numbers.

"Every week we build on the previous week," Vasquez said. "Every week there's different things we need to work on. But as far as us gelling together, I think we're doing a good job of it. Will, he does a good job of calling the fronts out and giving Manny, being a center before, he can help Will out a lot too, that way Will can keep his eyes on the front of the defense and he can make adjustments accordingly."

VIEW GALLERY | 24 Photos
    Chargers Week: Wednesday practice photos
    Naturally, this shift towards the run game isn't necessarily a permanent leaning to one way over the other, as Head Coach John Fox has said. "We'll lean on whatever we have to lean on. We're just trying to be efficient at both. Unless something else is created, you're either running it or throwing it. I think we're going to do what's necessary to win football games. It just so happens that over the last few weeks we've leaned a little more on one side, but at long as it's effective, that's what helps you win games. So our passing game is fine. You never know, we might put our foot on the gas and throw it 50 times. I can't really predict what's going to happen because a lot of it's based on what an opponent does and matchups."

That balance has been something that the offense has been feeling out for much of the season, and the offensive line shift was a move that gained a lot of publicity but got more comfortable as they spent more time finding their footing.

"Everybody on the outside thinks we can only do certain things but we talk about all the time we have so many guys that can make big plays and all year, we said our run game is just this close," Julius Thomas said. "It's just a little bit of communication here, a little bit better technique here. Sometimes it's like, I don’t know, from that last game, it's hard to believe it, but we've shown it's just fine tuning things and we've been running it really well."

And it's not just the offense that's seeing some slight changes recently. The defense, which Chris Harris Jr. said is playing with more unity lately, has gotten back to its foundation of forcing opponents to become one-dimensional and now turnovers have started to fall their way. In their first seven games, the Broncos defense had eight takeaways: seven interceptions and one fumble recovery. But in the following six weeks, Denver has gotten 11 takeaways: seven interceptions and four fumble recoveries.

"Sometimes the ball just comes your way, and we've finally been able to get some lucky bounces," Harris said. "Early in the season we were forcing the fumbles but we could never recover any, but now those balls are coming our way. We knew as long as we continue to compete every down, we'll start getting some turnovers."

And against the Chargers in Qualcomm Stadium, that could be a big factor as they do much better in getting turnovers there, with 12 of their 15 takeaways this season coming at home to six giveaways on their home turf.

VIDEO LOADING
    WE'RE SORRY, BUT THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE.
    WATCH MORE VIDEOS
    REPLAYManning on offensive balance, depth00:00/04:58
    "They've played great at home this year," Fox said. "I think they lead the league in turnover margin at home at plus-six at their place. They're a team we're familiar with that we have a lot of respect for and we know we’ll have to bring our A-game."

While the Broncos have shifted their modus operandi and personnel a bit, they've also had changes because of injuries. Julius Thomas has missed extensive time with an ankle injury and Ronnie Hillman, who was a spark earlier in the season in the running game, has been sidelined by a foot injury.

But the Chargers have also faced significant injuries, especially on their offensive line since these two teams last played.

When they last played, the Chargers were already at a loss, with starting center Nick Hardwick placed on the injured reserve in early September and backup center Rick Ohrnberger moved to the IR in early October. But since the two teams last played in late October, they lost yet another center—Doug Legursky—and have put rookie guard Chris Watt into the starting lineup at the position.

"We got a system in place here and we got a great quarterback that can make sure everything is on the right page, everything like that, directing traffic," Chargers Head Coach Mike McCoy said. "It's been the next-man-up mentality. I think the coaching staff has done an outstanding job of adjusting those players. The five centers we've used throughout the year have all stepped up at critical times and have done a nice job, did a good job of directing traffic and making all the calls and everything for us. Our system is in place. You adjust certain things, but for the most part we are going to run what we do because of who we have."

Though thrusting a rookie into center as the fifth person to play at the spot for the Chargers this season is a tough challenge, Terrance Knighton said he's seen Watt do well.

"He's a good player. When you're thrown in the fire and you have a quarterback like Philip Rivers, it puts a lot of pressure on you," Knighton said. "But the good thing is at center, you can kind of hide. It's not like he's out there on an island at left tackle or anything, but he's a good player, he fights, and he'll bring it to me and I'll be ready."

While going through centers at the rate they have is obviously difficult, San Diego has gotten some better news on the injury front with the return of Ryan Mathews and Donald Brown, in addition to Branden Oliver, who held down the fort in the backfield while the two were out with injuries.

But don't expect the change in the backfield to change the perspective for Terrance Knighton and the defensive line when it comes to stopping the run. "We don't change for running backs," Knighton said. "We change for schemes, but not for running backs. It doesn't matter if Adrian Peterson was back there. If we do what we do up front, it really doesn’t matter. No ball-carrier's going to get through."

With that mindset, the defense can look to replicate the performance they got in Week 8, holding San Diego to 61 rushing yards. But with the differences we've seen each team undergo, don't expect to see the same game as last time.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Preparing for Peyton
      No quarterback poses a greater challenge than Peyton Manning. Everything we do, he knows it, or he can adjust to it. He operates like a machine. But that doesn't mean my Chargers can’t take him down on Sunday
      By Brandon Flowers
      @BFlowers24

Playing Peyton Manning is kind of like playing LeBron James. You really can’t stop LeBron James. You can only hope to contain him to win the game.

The first time I faced Peyton was in 2010; I was with the Chiefs, he was on the Colts. Before we even began game planning, Emmitt Thomas, our defensive backs coach, told us he has only beaten Manning twice in his entire coaching career. That says a lot. Coach Thomas has been in the league a long time, and has had some great success. To beat Peyton Manning, you have to be perfect.

That week felt like we were preparing for battle. You have to be precise in everything you do. You can’t give him even an inch. You have to conduct a flawless game plan.

We thought we had a good one. After studying film, we had this one blitz our coaches drew up that we thought we could drop in. We’d essentially send our whole left side of the defense at him. He wouldn’t see it coming. Well, somehow he did. Nobody jumped or gave any indication we were blitzing. Then right before the play, Peyton checked and threw a quick pass to the left side. Big gain, first down. We weren’t even showing the blitz! I have no idea how he knew.

The point is, no matter how much you plan, now matter how prepared you are, Peyton is in a class of his own. Guys like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are good because whatever the coach calls, they’ll execute. They might check once or twice, but for the most part they’ll run the play the offensive coordinator calls up, and they’ll make it work. With Peyton, you’re literally playing a coach on the field. It’s almost not fair. You have a coach on the field making calls, changing calls, and then making the throw himself. He’ll tell every single member of the offense what to do. He comes up to the line and tells his offensive line whom to pick up. Everything you do, he knows it, or he can adjust to it. He operates like a machine.

You might hear some analysts say he has lost a bit on the football, but I don’t see it. The best defense when playing Peyton Manning? Having your offense on the field.
      You want to take risks. Part of you is like, I have to get out there and make a big play. I have to go get it. I have to do something. But at the same time, if you’re risky, it can backfire. If he can read your mannerisms—which he does, often—or see what you’re trying to do, he’ll call an audible and make an adjustment. Once you’re playing from behind, it’s nearly impossible to get the lead back and beat him.

Chargers cornerback Brandon Flowers. (Rod Mar for Sports Illustrated/The MMQB)
      The best defense when playing Peyton Manning? Having your offense on the field.

We’re getting ready to play Peyton again this week. He beat us pretty good in Week 8. [Denver won, 35-21, at home]. Unfortunately I was out with a concussion and wasn’t cleared for travel, so I watched from home. I didn’t get a real grasp of the game on television, but I do know what we’ll get facing him.

You might hear some analysts say he has lost a bit on the football, but I don’t see it. When we’re watching him on film and game-planning, he looks like the same Peyton to me. In fact, he’s almost getting better every week. He still gets the ball on the money, and his receivers are still beating defensive backs every week on deep balls.

When I prepare for the game (and this goes for every game, not just when we’re facing Manning) I first break it down by every receiver I might face. I go through all of their passes to see how they like to beat press coverage or how they’re used in their offense. Then I go to their big plays, because obviously if they have a big play, they’ll want to go back to it sooner or later. Last, I break down their offense; I look at how a team attacks. Do they throw the ball early? Run early? I look for any patterns.

What makes Peyton’s offense most challenging is that a different guy becomes his top receiver every week. You can’t plan on doubling one guy or cheating toward one guy, because that will just make another target that much more open.

Of course, teams can beat Peyton. He may operate like a machine, but he’s not invincible. I think the key is: Make him beat you up and down the field. Don’t give up big plays that make the score wide open. Make him try to chip away, chip away, chip away, and hopefully he’ll eventually make a mistake. Or, maybe a bit more likely, someone on his offensive line will.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Going to be tough. We are 21st in the league in rush attempts. Last in yards per rush. We simply dont have a running game. And you need one to beat the Broncos. Who by the way are very good against the run. This team wont be able to get to the next level until we can run/pass block and run the ball. Ive been saying it for years. Rivers needs a run game or he will struggle. Im surprised his numbers are not worse.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Broncos lose Montee Ball for season

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 13, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

AP
            Broncos running back Montee Ball’s season is over.

The Broncos announced today that Ball has been placed on season-ending injured reserve. Ball has been dealing with a groin injury.

Ball was supposed to become the Broncos’ full-time starter at running back this year, but he became a major disappointment instead. Ball averaged just 3.1 yards a carry this season while Denver’s other running backs fared much better: C.J. Anderson is leading the team in rushing and has an average of 5.0 yards a carry, Ronnie Hillman has 4.2 yards a carry, and Juwan Thompson has done solid work in a limited role and is averaging 5.2 yards a carry.

The Broncos have also activated linebacker Danny Trevathan from injured reserve, promoted tight end Dominique Jones to the 53-player roster and placed safety Quinton Carter on injured reserve.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Ramsey: Rivers latest in line of villains Broncos fans love to hate
              By David Ramsey
              email

Philip Rivers is stupendously irritating. He shouts at Broncos and his teammates and officials and his helmet. (Yes, he really shouts at his helmet.)

He whines. He pouts. He stomps. He performs a masterful imitation of a spoiled 2-year-old.

Rivers, the Chargers 6-foot-5, 228-pound hippopotamus of a quarterback, is the most aggravating Broncos opponent since ... Peyton Manning.

Go ahead and admit it. When Manning worked his magic for the Colts, it was infuriating to see him step to the line of scrimmage, point at defenders, chat for a few seconds with his offensive linemen, drain the play clock to the final ticks.

And then throw another touchdown.

When Manning, aided by his line of scrimmage shenanigans, terrorized various Broncos defenses during the first decade of the 21st century, he ranked as a Colorado villain.

Now he's a hero.

Why?

Well, that's simple. He plays for the Broncos.

If Rivers wore an orange No. 17 uniform, he instantly would become beloved on the Front Range. Your brother and your grandmother would wear his jersey. Virtually everyone would suddenly adore his massively immature act.

Broncos fans admired, or at least tolerated, linebacker Bill Romanowski's savage act when he played on the edge of downtown Denver. He strayed far from the boundaries of civilized behavior, but he won games, so he was OK.

When Romanowski transferred his act to Oakland, Bronco fans suddenly saw he stood alongside the most unsavory characters in sports history.

Same story with Lyle Alzado, the emotional center of the Broncos 1977 Orange Crush defense that was just as magnificent as middle-age (and beyond) fans remember. He was the most popular man in Colorado, except for maybe John Denver, while he devoured quarterbacks and running backs unfortunate enough to stray into his path.

Alzado's popularity evaporated the instant he departed Colorado. It was weird, in a fun way, to see this once-beloved Bronco return to Mile High as lead villain of the Raiders.

While growing up in south Denver, Raiders guru Al Davis was the most despised man in our world, except for maybe the Ayatollah Khomeini. (It was close.)

I later moved to New York and became friends with Dr. Luke LaPorta. It took a few years, but Luke revealed Evil Al was one of his best friends. They had graduated from college at Syracuse and grown close. Luke said Evil Al was relentlessly driven and competitive, but also blessed with a strong sense of humor and kindness.

Each time Evil Al and his Raiders traveled to the Super Bowl, he insisted on Luke and his wife joining him on the journey. And Evil Al paid for everything.

The lesson was obvious. These football villains aren't so villainous once you get to know them.

So go ahead and boo Rivers on Sunday. Boo even though he's a devoted father of seven. (He earns $14 million per season. He can afford his collection of kids.) Boo even though you know, deep in your heart, he's enormously fun to watch.

Just remember this:

You might be cheering for him later.
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Opera singer and web developer.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                Ramsey: Rivers latest in line of villains Broncos fans love to hate
                By David Ramsey
                email

Philip Rivers is stupendously irritating. He shouts at Broncos and his teammates and officials and his helmet. (Yes, he really shouts at his helmet.)

He whines. He pouts. He stomps. He performs a masterful imitation of a spoiled 2-year-old.

Rivers, the Chargers 6-foot-5, 228-pound hippopotamus of a quarterback, is the most aggravating Broncos opponent since ... Peyton Manning.

Go ahead and admit it. When Manning worked his magic for the Colts, it was infuriating to see him step to the line of scrimmage, point at defenders, chat for a few seconds with his offensive linemen, drain the play clock to the final ticks.

And then throw another touchdown.

When Manning, aided by his line of scrimmage shenanigans, terrorized various Broncos defenses during the first decade of the 21st century, he ranked as a Colorado villain.

Now he's a hero.

Why?

Well, that's simple. He plays for the Broncos.

If Rivers wore an orange No. 17 uniform, he instantly would become beloved on the Front Range. Your brother and your grandmother would wear his jersey. Virtually everyone would suddenly adore his massively immature act.

Broncos fans admired, or at least tolerated, linebacker Bill Romanowski's savage act when he played on the edge of downtown Denver. He strayed far from the boundaries of civilized behavior, but he won games, so he was OK.

When Romanowski transferred his act to Oakland, Bronco fans suddenly saw he stood alongside the most unsavory characters in sports history.

Same story with Lyle Alzado, the emotional center of the Broncos 1977 Orange Crush defense that was just as magnificent as middle-age (and beyond) fans remember. He was the most popular man in Colorado, except for maybe John Denver, while he devoured quarterbacks and running backs unfortunate enough to stray into his path.

Alzado's popularity evaporated the instant he departed Colorado. It was weird, in a fun way, to see this once-beloved Bronco return to Mile High as lead villain of the Raiders.

While growing up in south Denver, Raiders guru Al Davis was the most despised man in our world, except for maybe the Ayatollah Khomeini. (It was close.)

I later moved to New York and became friends with Dr. Luke LaPorta. It took a few years, but Luke revealed Evil Al was one of his best friends. They had graduated from college at Syracuse and grown close. Luke said Evil Al was relentlessly driven and competitive, but also blessed with a strong sense of humor and kindness.

Each time Evil Al and his Raiders traveled to the Super Bowl, he insisted on Luke and his wife joining him on the journey. And Evil Al paid for everything.

The lesson was obvious. These football villains aren't so villainous once you get to know them.

So go ahead and boo Rivers on Sunday. Boo even though he's a devoted father of seven. (He earns $14 million per season. He can afford his collection of kids.) Boo even though you know, deep in your heart, he's enormously fun to watch.

Just remember this:

You might be cheering for him later.
                I can't believe he compared Rivers to Romanowski. Shows how little he knows about Rivers.
                Adipose

Comment

• thelightningwill
                  Go Aztecs and Pads
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                  I can't believe he compared Rivers to Romanowski. Shows how little he knows about Rivers.
                  I don't think he was comparing Rivers to Romanowski or, even worse, Alzado. He was pointing out how the Donkey fans hate a player until that player turns into an Ass. Or they love an Ass until he goes elsewhere. I was with the article until he brought up that Rivers might some day play for the Donkeys. That will never happen.

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Opera singer and web developer.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                    I don't think he was comparing Rivers to Romanowski or, even worse, Alzado. He was pointing out how the Donkey fans hate a player until that player turns into an Ass. Or they love an Ass until he goes elsewhere. I was with the article until he brought up that Rivers might some day play for the Donkeys. That will never happen.
                    He compared Rivers' demonstrativeness with Romanowski's. Yes, both are/were demonstrative, but Romanowski was a classless piece of shit who spit on people, while Rivers is just a kid having a good time.
                    Adipose

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Point spread has crept up to 4.5. Late money on the Broncos.

Comment

Working...
                      X