• Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Saints cut Jason Smith

Posted by Mike Wilkening on August 21, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT

The No. 2 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft will need to find a new home if he’s to continue his career.

The Saints have cut offensive tackle Jason Smith, coach Sean Payton said Wednesday, according to the club’s official Twitter feed.

The 27-year-old Smith signed with New Orleans in April. He appeared in all 16 games with the Jets in 2012 as a backup after the club acquired him from St. Louis, which drafted him one spot after Matthew Stafford in 2009. Smith struggled with injuries, including concussions, in his three seasons with St. Louis.

It’s possible another team could give Smith a look. He’s still relatively young, and he showed enough promise to be a highly regarded draft prospect not long ago. However, being let go this late in the preseason is a definite setback

Younger than Starks, could he be an upgrade over Starks or Dunlap?
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
      Saints cut Jason Smith

Posted by Mike Wilkening on August 21, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT

The No. 2 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft will need to find a new home if he’s to continue his career.

The Saints have cut offensive tackle Jason Smith, coach Sean Payton said Wednesday, according to the club’s official Twitter feed.

The 27-year-old Smith signed with New Orleans in April. He appeared in all 16 games with the Jets in 2012 as a backup after the club acquired him from St. Louis, which drafted him one spot after Matthew Stafford in 2009. Smith struggled with injuries, including concussions, in his three seasons with St. Louis.

It’s possible another team could give Smith a look. He’s still relatively young, and he showed enough promise to be a highly regarded draft prospect not long ago. However, being let go this late in the preseason is a definite setback

Younger than Starks, could he be an upgrade over Starks or Dunlap?
      nope

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Not if he doesn't develop better fundamentals. His technique is terrible, and he makes poor decisions on the field.

He is the kind of guy who you might be able to work with if you get him in the system for the whole offseason. But after half of PS is gone seems like you have no time to work with him.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

if you want a younger player you can develop, becton is your guy.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

The 2009 draft class was awful
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Man, the Rams are snake bit when it comes to drafting OL in the top 5 picks. Geez.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Its bad enough when AJ blows the #25 pick, but blowing the #2 pick really hurts. And there's nothing you can do about it except get lucky.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

They did pretty well with Orlando Pace, even though that was some time ago.

I would still argue that good coaching can prevent some of that.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    They did pretty well with Orlando Pace, even though that was some time ago.

I would still argue that good coaching can prevent some of that.
                    I agree to an extent. But he has had three chances. All those coaches don't suck. Sometimes it comes down to the player wanting to put in the work to get better, accepting criticism of what he is dong wrong and be willing to change it, and having the football intelligence to understand assignments within the scheme. In all likelihood he fails in more than 1 category. rarely will a player under perform that badly with several teams, then turn his career around.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                      The 2009 draft class was awful
                      Too bad AJ didn't listen to the fans on "our" board and take Michael Oher or Clay Matthews. Larry English? Where did that come from?
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                        I agree to an extent. But he has had three chances. All those coaches don't suck. Sometimes it comes down to the player wanting to put in the work to get better, accepting criticism of what he is dong wrong and be willing to change it, and having the football intelligence to understand assignments within the scheme. In all likelihood he fails in more than 1 category. rarely will a player under perform that badly with several teams, then turn his career around.
                        I thought F21 was referring to the practice of drafting OL high.
                        Its bad enough when AJ blows the #25 pick, but blowing the #2 pick really hurts. And there's nothing you can do about it except get lucky.
                        I do think you can minimize the chances of getting burned, but it never goes to zero, either from injuries or just a head case.

I do think it is really important to try to give rookies a little bit to do their, so they can get some confidence. It's tough with OL, but I am not a big fan of throwing them to the wolves, because once their confidence is shaken, you never get the swagger back completely.

My understanding/watching Jason Smith play is that he is just too aggressive. He tries to go out and dominate every player in pass protection, rather then playing the angles. It's like a soccer goaltender going out and just charging down every guy who has the ball. Sure, there is a time and place to do that, but most of the time it just leaves the goal open. Only in his case, he gives DE great angles on the QB.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Mike Mccoy on Max Starks "he struggled a little bit..." Says decision on cuts are still in the process."
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X