POLL: Who Should Be The Chargers' Next Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I believe Pep H worked for Shaw at Stanford - that would probably be an easy connection to keep

I think Shaws track record is long enough that one bad season in college is fine. I agree with your choices. I know I can be all over the map with choices - but I remember names. And truly I had forgotten about Shaw (and even Chuck Pagano) until this week.

If going the college route: Shaw
    if going the first time NFL assistant route: Toub
    If going the one time NFL coach but fired route: Pagano, Josh, maybe Dennis Allen, Schwartz, Bowles in that order
    Chuck Pagano has a decent resume looking over his Indy stint.... why hasn't he ensnared another HC job ??
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
      Dark Horse - Head Coaching Candidate

Before I tell you my favorite pick for head coach, let me share that I believe that age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

dx9egomvsaaj6oh-e1548647031931.jpg

Wade Phillips is named the head coach and focuses solely coordinating the defense, with his defensive coordinator. Pep Hamilton assistant HC/QB coach and OC Shane Steichen run the offense.

Wade knows how to hire a competent Special Teams coach.

I know the Oilers teams of the early 80s, he and his daddy coached. They got after it. Then Wade Phillips went to work for Buddy Ryan as his DC coordinator in Philadelphia. Buddy taught him to get after it. Wade is in L.A., playing with his grandkids, but wants to get back into coaching and he is available right now.

FACT: Last time the Chargers ranked #1 in the league on rushing defense, Wade Phillips coordinated the defense.

In Wade's last game as a coordinator last year, he held the Patriots to 13 points in the Super Bowl. Lowest scoring Super Bowl EVER.

Yes. Wade is wearing his daddy's jacket that Bum wore in Houston, on this Rams road trip in 2019.
      Wade Phillips had Big 'Mal, don't overlook that. Wade is a superior DC, not to diminish what he brings. But I'd wager the Chargers' superior run D during that era had more to do who was anchoring the middle of the DL. Wade is 3-4 devotee from what I know of him. The Chargers' current defensive front 7 is designed for a 4-3 scheme, right?

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Before I tell you my favorite pick for head coach, let me share that I believe that age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

Wade Phillips is named the head coach and focuses solely coordinating the defense, with his defensive coordinator. Pep Hamilton assistant HC/QB coach and OC Shane Steichen run the offense.

I know the Oilers teams of the early 80s, he and his daddy coached. They got after it. Then Wade Phillips went to work for Buddy Ryan as his DC coordinator in Philadelphia. Buddy taught him to get after it. Wade is in L.A., playing with his grandkids, but wants to get back into coaching and he is available right now.

FACT: Last time the Chargers ranked #1 in the league on rushing defense, Wade Phillips coordinated the defense.

In Wade's last game as a coordinator last year, he held the Patriots to 13 points in the Super Bowl. Lowest scoring Super Bowl EVER.

Yes. Wade is wearing his daddy's jacket that Bum wore in Houston, on this Rams road trip in 2019.
        think the quote goes something like.... "age and cunning wins out over youth and talent (most) every time."
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Good 'ole Bum Phillips--strutting on the sideline in his 10-gallon hat...with the good 'ole Oilers fight song blaring:

This is the fight song of the Houston Oilers (later known as the Tennessee Oilers and now known as Tennessee Titans) with Ex-Oilers and Titans players who or...

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

As of today, Thursday, November 19th I rank them like this:

1. Toub
            2. David Shaw
            3. Todd Bowles

This list will change, probably tomorrow.
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

think the quote goes something like.... "age and cunning wins out over youth and talent (most) every time."
              My response to people that would freak out about Bill Belichick being named the head coach, Wade Phillips is the same coaching caliber, again who in their last match-up, held the GOAT QB & the Greatest Coach of All-Time to 13 total points. Kicked the Patriots' asses on third downs too.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance.

My quote is from David Mamet

It's OK. CaptainD thought I was making up The Nattering Nabobs of Negativism, too. I drop historical & literary references cause that's how I roll.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
                  As of today, Thursday, November 19th I rank them like this:

1. Toub
                  2. David Shaw
                  3. Todd Bowles

This list will change, probably tomorrow.
                  I agree. Like I said my list changes often. And Lynn needs to be fired. But I truly had forgotten about Shaw and Pagano until this week. But I like your top two names right there. I think both would be excellent.

Now maybe Chucks brother has some inside knowledge about the Spanii that might not excite Chuck. But I think he would be a solid candidate.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

I like the out the box thinking Ghost

id have to chew on Wade for a bit

First thing, where is he and what’s he been doing this year?
                    Is his motivation publicly known? Is he taking a mile mccarthy like break?

with my guy JoshMd I am able to see what he’s doing now.

im genuinely open to most ideas and wouldn’t mind separate threads for specific candidates
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

im genuinely open to most ideas and wouldn’t mind separate threads for specific candidates
                      https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/02/06/wade-phillips-los-angeles-rams-reflects-wants-job

His daughter Tracy Phillips is a working, professional actress in Los Angeles. Wade is in L.A. to be near his daughter. She is a Broncos-freak. Some know her from
                      My Chemical Romance - Helena

Helena.jpg

Follow Son of Bum on Twitter.

Comment

• Lyth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Send PM

The current coaching market scares me. As does the open positions. Look at what is already open. HOU and ATL. If I'm a HC looking at the openings, I'd rather work for those owners than the Spanos clan. They will spend the money, stay out of the way, and set up coaches and GM's to succeed.

We'll be fighting the Jets over the scraps that are left over.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

The last game Wade Phillips coached in 2019, Thanks to Wade's defense, Patriots took 53 minutes to get into the end zone for their lone TD.

The main reason Wade found himself without a job is he priced himself out of the market. Every year, with the Rams organization, Wade was coming out with a stellar defensive season, Wade got a pay bump. Wade became the highest paid defensive coordinator in the league. Rams then dumped Todd Gurley and in an organizational-shift, Sean McVay told had he was going with a young movement and Wade was out.

Now, Wade is IN LOS ANGELES and wants to work. He has learned salary doesn't matter and that life is work for some folks, especially football coaches.

Comment

Working...
                          X